• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Globox_82

Banned
Evolution took on a fair amount of Studio Liverpools staff. They have had a team working on a new IP for a sigifnicant period of time. One of their leads was a guy who made PGR. This was also going on while Motorstorm Apocalypse and Motorstorm: RC were in development.

Sucker Punch have been coy about their growth. They've done a lot of hiring since moving to their new larger studio. They've even done a bit of hiring of former Bungie staff.

Quantic Dream
have had access to Sony's plans too given they have another game in their deal with Sony after Beyond: Two Souls. We might get a tech demo from them, especially seeing as they've finished up all Mocap work on Beyond. Their ambitions are certainly large:

I won't be surprised if they join Sony in next 2 years. David Cage seemed willing to join when aske (if I remember correctly)

I won't be surprised if they join Sony in next 2 years. David Cage seemed willing to join when aske (if I remember correctly)

If Beyond: Two Souls is a success, I think it'll happen. I suspect Sony want to make sure Heavy Rain wasn't a one-off.

Fun fact: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and Dishonoured had their mo-cap done at Quantic Dream's motion capture studio.

Globox_82

Banned
I think Sony will cut straight to the point. As it stands, all of their announced games release before E3.

I think we'll get onstage demo's, and announcement trailer after announcement trailer similar to how they announced games for Vita at Gamescom this year. That Killzone: Mercenary trailer just started up straight after a prior trailer and got the hype going.

Sony will surprise everyone. They have more than one team in all of their major studios:

Santa Monica (2 large teams + PSN assistance + incubation projects)
Guerrilla Games (at least 2 Amsterdam teams + Guerrilla Cambridge)
Sony London (Multiple teams, suspiciously also hiring for what appears to be a big project)
Naughty Dog (2 large teams)
Polyphony Digital (Two studios on separate sites now, I believe)
Sucker Punch (Recent rumblings suggest they are a two team studio now)
Media Molecule (Two teams)
Evolution Studios (Two teams)
Sony Japan Studios have also seemingly sorted their shit out.

I expect a lot of games, and at the very least - a lot of announcements.

Let's not forget Ready at Dawn. From all the previous rumors and hints they are most likely working on PS4 game. I hope it's true since their GOW games were awesome. And from what I hear Daxter was great as well.

Sid

I've edited my post and added an additional explanation:

"Of course, due to state of global broadband speeds and lack of decent compression standard (HEVC/H.265), most people will still prefer buying physical console. For starters, they could at least offer you to play PS4 demos on the PC."
I think at MOST sony will offer PS1 and PS2 games on the PC and demos for PS3 and PS4 games.

Evolution took on a fair amount of Studio Liverpools staff. They have had a team working on a new IP for a sigifnicant period of time. One of their leads was a guy who made PGR. This was also going on while Motorstorm Apocalypse and Motorstorm: RC were in development.

Sucker Punch have been coy about their growth. They've done a lot of hiring since moving to their new larger studio. They've even done a bit of hiring of former Bungie staff.

Quantic Dream have had access to Sony's plans too given they have another game in their deal with Sony after Beyond: Two Souls. We might get a tech demo from them, especially seeing as they've finished up all Mocap work on Beyond. Their ambitions are certainly large:
Interesting,at least Evolution's game can be a launch title since Motorstorm 3 came out in March 2011,so many first party studios are working on PS4 games...at this rate there will be a LOT of exclusive games for the PS4 within it's first year.

Let's not forget Ready at Dawn. From all the previous rumors and hints they are most likely working on PS4 game. I hope it's true since their GOW games were awesome. And from what I hear Daxter was great as well.
Yeah they are making a game like uncharted likely a PS4 exclusive.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Because there's no way that they're going to take away a reason to own the PS4. They might give access to legacy titles on the PC through Gaikai, but that's about it. And they might even throw in a cutoff there (up to PS2 titles).

Hardware tends not to make Sony (SCE) a lot of money.

They want to to control and gate-keep your access to content, and owning the box you play through is one way to do that, but it's not the only way. You can be a platform holder via software only also.

The risk for Sony in a software-platform world is the ease with which consumers can jump between platforms vs a hardware-platform world, where your hw investment helps tie you to their content.

But...if more and more gaming and entertainment options that are hardware agnostic and far more convenient to access start coming on stream, Sony is going to have to compete with them anyway. But with higher barriers to entry for their platform, if locked behind a $300 box? Not a disadvantage they'd like to have, IMO.

It may be a case of cannibalise yourself or get cannibalised.

I could see Sony making PS4 a vehicle for software on 3 fronts. Digital download (to a PS4 box), retail discs (to a PS4 box) and digital streaming (to everything and anything). You'll still want a PS4 if you want the optimal AV experience. But I think Sony might explore compromises between quality of experience and convenience to broaden their audience, perhaps substantially.

IIRC Dave Perry said one of the reasons Sony acquired Gaikai is because their technology would work on standard web technology - and help get games into devices via browsers, side stepping app stores etc. I thought that was an interesting comment. If you look at their job posts they talk about bringing console quality games to everything from TVs to mobile phones. Sony may well bring 'something' to everything...and I think they will at the very least experiment with their new platform's content within its lifecycle, if not go the whole hog with the above 3-front strategy.

Sid

Uncharted-like? How do you know this?
http://www.vg247.com/2010/10/26/ready-at-dawns-next-game-to-be-like-uncharted-reveal-coming-soon/

http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/20/new-ready-at-dawn-project-set-for-next-generation-console/

http://www.readyatdawn.com/

Ready At Dawn is hiring. We’re looking for exceptional candidates to help develop an exciting new IP for a Next-Generation home console. Check out the jobs page for more information.

Not in the first couple of years but after that generally their consoles turn them a profit and isn't the vita selling at a profit since launch anyways?

rdrr gnr

http://www.vg247.com/2010/10/26/ready-at-dawns-next-game-to-be-like-uncharted-reveal-coming-soon/

http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/20/new-ready-at-dawn-project-set-for-next-generation-console/

http://www.readyatdawn.com/

Not in the first couple of years but after that generally their consoles turn them a profit and isn't the vita selling at a profit since launch anyways?
Hmm... I don't how I feel about RAD chasing Uncharted. The atmosphere of just walking through the game environment of Ghost of Sparta was top-notch. I hope that isn't lost due to the focus on cutscenes. I was hoping for a non-linear-type of title -- but I'm excited either way. I just hope one of these studios slated to launch on the PS4 does a WRPG or some sort of open-world approach.
iirc, Vita sells at a slight loss. This information may be old, however.

I expect Sony will allow you to play PS games on any system (older games maybe sooner) but we are a good 10 plus years away from that .
A good set of changes have to happen with gaming , Sony , internet speeds along with a few things more for that to happen .
So expect to keep on seeing hardware like PS4 and unlike others i don't think next gen going to last as long as this one .

Vol5

They want to to control and gate-keep your access to content, and owning the box you play through is one way to do that, but it's not the only way. You can be a platform holder via software only also.

The risk for Sony in a software-platform world is the ease with which consumers can jump between platforms vs a hardware-platform world, where your hw investment helps tie you to their content.

But...if more and more gaming and entertainment options that are hardware agnostic and far more convenient to access start coming on stream, Sony is going to have to compete with them anyway. But with higher barriers to entry for their platform, if locked behind a $300 box? Not a disadvantage they'd like to have, IMO.

It may be a case of cannibalise yourself or get cannibalised.

I could see Sony making PS4 a vehicle for software on 3 fronts. Digital download (to a PS4 box), retail discs (to a PS4 box) and digital streaming (to everything and anything). You'll still want a PS4 if you want the optimal AV experience. But I think Sony might explore compromises between quality of experience and convenience to broaden their audience, perhaps substantially.

IIRC Dave Perry said one of the reasons Sony acquired Gaikai is because their technology would work on standard web technology - and help get games into devices via browsers, side stepping app stores etc. I thought that was an interesting comment. If you look at their job posts they talk about bringing console quality games to everything from TVs to mobile phones. Sony may well bring 'something' to everything...and I think they will at the very least experiment with their new platform's content within its lifecycle, if not go the whole hog with the above 3-front strategy.

I'm thinking maybe the Gaikai acquisition was to incorporate that tech into PS4. Perhaps we can dial-in to our PS4's (a better smoother Remote Play) and stream our game collection to any of our devices.

Sid

Hmm... I don't how I feel about RAD chasing Uncharted. The atmosphere of just walking through the game environment of Ghost of Sparta was top-notch. I hope that isn't lost due to the focus on cutscenes. I was hoping for a non-linear-type of title -- but I'm excited either way. I just hope one of these studios slated to launch on the PS4 does a WRPG or some sort of open-world approach.

iirc, Vita sells at a slight loss. This information may be old, however.
I don't think it is but if you look at the PS1 ,PS2 or PSP they all made sony a LOT of cash and while the PS3 had an insane launch price which i don't think the PS4 will have,it was profitable since march 2010 so it's not like there is no profit to be made by selling hardware.

amar212

There's no way in hell that they're going to let you play PS4 games on your PC. No chance.

Yes. Never, and not even then.

Wet dreams are welcomed, but dreaming of welcoming Natalie Portman to the student room for a onenightstander and getting married 4 days later on sunset beach of Hvar Island with original Guns n' Roses lineup playing live while pink dolphins sing backvocals on Sweet Child o'Mine from sea would probably be more possible then this.

rdrr gnr

I don't think it is but if you look at the PS1 ,PS2 or PSP they all made sony a LOT of cash and while the PS3 had an insane launch price which i don't think the PS4 will have,it was profitable since march 2010 so it's not like there is no profit to be made by selling hardware.
I agree. But I think selling the box at launch for $99 w/subscription will do more for sales than single feature Gaikai could provide. I think the services Sony concocts will be largely insular -- under the Umbrella of Sony products -- but they will eventually branch out to other devices as far as retail PS4 titles are concerned. The Gaikai service, whatever it turns out to be, may be attractive enough for Sony to provide a Live-like product (altering the benefits of PS+) to collect another monthly/yearly fee.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Break-even I think...

I'm not saying they don't make any money at any point in a product's lifecycle on hardware. But it is a double edged sword.

Initially it actually, usually, costs them to put hardware in your home.

Then things might break even for a while. Then latterly they might start making profit.

I would wonder how much hw profit comes out of a given platform spread across each user. I doubt it's much.

Offering all your games on a cloud platform isn't going to reduce PS4 hardware sales to nothing in any case. The majority will still need a local box for infrastructural reasons. Core, heavy users are going to want an optimal experience in any case, and thus a box.

But the real target for this would be casual dabblers and fence sitters and people who perhaps have bought another box already or who don't want to commit a lot to just play a specific game. If Sony reduces the barriers to platform usage to nothing, they'll start far many more relationships they can build on. And it would seem counter productive to not let those people start building libraries of PS4 content. Hardcore people are going to buy their own local PS4 box anyway...but how many more people could Sony have paying for and playing PS4 content via other methods? Who, for example, on GAF would not give Sony's new platform a spin if it was just a browser click away? The potential to start new relationships and new content libraries is too enormous for Sony to factor out PS4 content. I can't imagine why they'd spend so much on Gaikai and invest so much in its ongoing development if it won't be a front for more than legacy content.

i-Lo

I think Sony will cut straight to the point. As it stands, all of their announced games release before E3.

I think we'll get onstage demo's, and announcement trailer after announcement trailer similar to how they announced games for Vita at Gamescom this year. That Killzone: Mercenary trailer just started up straight after a prior trailer and got the hype going.

Sony will surprise everyone. They have more than one team in all of their major studios:

Sony London (Multiple teams, suspiciously also hiring for what appears to be a big project)

People always expect Sony to do the reasonable. But Sony'll be Sony. I still remember how long of a time was spent of Wonder book last time.

That said, it'd be great if the tech demos are reprieved in lieu of actual game demos that'd be playable in the end.

This sucks, they know how much we are starving for information. It wouldn't hurt for them to come out and say (i mean leak) that we are getting a system ____ times more powerful than PS3 or that the system can do _____ TFLOPS and it has _____ of memory.

Fill the blanks Sony Ninjas, we know you want to :)

So are you expecting backwards compatibility?
I expect on-console hardware. If it, I won't be surprised.

Why would they even need to be cross compatible? Have some servers for PS3 games, some for PS4 games (if they even intend to put PS4 games on there) What happened to remote playing from your own console.
But I am a bit doubtful that they'll have 'native' PS3 games running on there at all.

How would they do "some" PS3 in the first place? Cell server blades are dead. A way to massively use Cell is dead unless Sony did R&D for server cell usage on their own. Like I said, it would have to be emulated on x86 server side. And hell, if they can do that using AMD parts, what is honestly holding them back from doing it client side?

What would be easier... to create emulation of CELL/RSX on common X86 hardware, or port 20 best selling PS3 games to x86 and call it a day?

:D

Porting GT5, Uncharted and Killzone sound fun.

Probably the 3 biggest games that made use of the PS3's extremely high bandwidth.

Vol5

This sucks, they know how much we are starving for information. It wouldn't hurt for them to come out and say (i mean leak) that we are getting a system ____ times more powerful than PS3 or that the system can do _____ TFLOPS and it has _____ of memory.

Fill the blanks Sony Ninjas, we know you want to :)

People on the fence deciding whether to go for PS3 would then wait for PS4. May as well get as many sales as possible before going all out on a next-gen system.

But yeah, totally starved. Some hard specs would be delicious.

KAL2006

Banned

Let's break it down and see what team hasn't released a game in a while
- Naughty Dog - Uncharted 3 Team
- Guerilla Games - Killzone 3 Team
- Guerilla Games - New Studio rumoured to be making Fantasy IP
- Polyphonic Digital
- Sucker Punch
- Media Molecule - Team 2
- Evolution Studios
- Ready at Dawn

Teams that are busy
- Naughty Dog - Last of Us Team
- Guerilla Cambridge - making Killzone Mercenery
- Media Molecule - Tearaway Team
- Bend - making Vita game
- Team Ico - making Last Guardian
- Project Siren - making Gravity Rush 2
- San Diego - making Warrior's Lair
- Quantic Dreams - making Beyond

thuway

- Polyphonic Digital
- Sucker Punch
- Evolution Studios
- Ready at Dawn

Teams that are busy

'_' holymoly.

i-Lo

Pertaining to capability, and setting aside the coding differences for Cell vs X86, will the PS4 be able to run the current, prettiest, 30fps games at their native resolution or bumped to 720p at 60fps (such as Uncharted 3,TLOU, inF2 etc)? I am asking since after seeing the levels of DmC from another thread it makes me realise what sacrifices were needed to maintain their new visual design and fidelity. It'd be great to have visuals as rich as say Uncharted's if slightly better run at 60fps for the types of games that it would benefit the most.

Perkel

Banned
I still don't get why people assume APU will be main thing about new consoles.

No APU is/was remotely close to even low/medium GPUs. It's good for hardware that don't need a lot of power (notebooks) but for Desktop gaming PC or Console it is not an option. If anything it will be used for simple stuff like browser or OS and there will be powerfull GPU aside from APU.

I hope they will get those 2.5 stack memory faster. It is promising future.

- Polyphonic Digital
- Sucker Punch
- Evolution Studios
- Ready at Dawn

Teams that are busy

Best part about that list is that almost all studios with their unannounced titles had more than 1.5-2 years to do things. Some of them will hit 2,5-3 years when we take PS4 release date into account (probably xmas 2013).

thuway

Best part about that list is that almost all studios with their unannounced titles had more than 1.5-2 years to do things. Some of them will hit 2,5-3 years when we take PS4 release date into account (probably xmas 2013).

It is all part of the Sony cycle. 1 big release per fall, culminating in the third year with three big releases.

androvsky

Pertaining to capability, and setting aside the coding differences for Cell vs X86, will the PS4 be able to run the current, prettiest, 30fps games at their native resolution or bumped to 720p at 60fps (such as Uncharted 3,TLOU, inF2 etc)? I am asking since after seeing the levels of DmC from another thread it makes me realise what sacrifices were needed to maintain their new visual design and fidelity. It'd be great to have visuals as rich as say Uncharted's if slightly better run at 60fps for the types of games that it would benefit the most.

Ignoring coding differences, you're wondering if the PS4 will be twice as fast as the PS3? o_O

I would hope so?

DieH@rd

Banned
I expect 8x improvement for both PS4 and X720 [2TF as a base], and that's only on paper. In reality we can expect even more performance extracted from modern architectures, production pipelines and hardware configurations.

People always expect Sony to do the reasonable. But Sony'll be Sony. I still remember how long of a time was spent of Wonder book last time.

That said, it'd be great if the tech demos are reprieved in lieu of actual game demos that'd be playable in the end.

what did you want them to show? they had nothing (outside of last of us and beyond) that was really relevant. 2012 was a off year for sony as they focused on the casual crowd but it's clear that 2013 and 2014 are where their internal studios are focusing on.

pottuvoi

Banned
It's also good to remember that each studio has some tech people researching for next generation and making tools even if they haven't started with the big push for any certain game.

Mario007

How feasible would it be for Sony to create a 'PS4 Engine' that could be used by all their internal studios (who could easily modify it their needs) and license it to third parties so that they'd have an easy time to develop games for the ps4, and also locking them to work on ps4 only?

RaijinFY

I still don't get why people assume APU will be main thing about new consoles.

No APU is/was remotely close to even low/medium GPUs. It's good for hardware that don't need a lot of power (notebooks) but for Desktop gaming PC or Console it is not an option. If anything it will be used for simple stuff like browser or OS and there will be powerfull GPU aside from APU.

I hope they will get those 2.5 stack memory faster. It is promising future.

You can do an APU with a more powerful iGPU. I dont see where is the problem, you just need to balance things out.

How feasible would it be for Sony to create a 'PS4 Engine' that could be used by all their internal studios (who could easily modify it their needs) and license it to third parties so that they'd have an easy time to develop games for the ps4, and also locking them to work on ps4 only?

that would be a pretty cool idea. create an engine that could be used for all kinds of games, use it across all internal studios so that once it's updated every game gets every improvement.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

i think the locking in of exclusive titles with 3rd parties has to do more with moneyhats, free devkits and sony covering most of the marketing.

can some one correct me if im wrong here?!?!

Mario007

that would be a pretty cool idea. create an engine that could be used for all kinds of games, use it across all internal studios so that once it's updated every game gets every improvement.

Yeah I mean other publishers seem to be doing it as well (EA with Frostbite, Capcom with MT Framework etc) so Sony as a publisher should be able to do that. I suppose the difficulty would be getting an engine that would be able to run something cinematic like what SSM or ND come up with as well as something so bizarrely creative as what MM would cook up.

i think the locking in of exclusive titles with 3rd parties has to do more with moneyhats, free devkits and sony covering most of the marketing.

can some one correct me if im wrong here?!?!
I understand that, but if you provide a free engine at the start of the gen to many devs wouldn't they be more likely to create a game for you? I mean it would cut out a lot of the work, and would certainly go further than having just good devkits.

What new special effects can we expect from PS4 and 720? With each new console generation we always got something new that couldn't be done before. Or will everything be pretty much the same?

I love hearing about new techniques.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Yeah I mean other publishers seem to be doing it as well (EA with Frostbite, Capcom with MT Framework etc) so Sony as a publisher should be able to do that. I suppose the difficulty would be getting an engine that would be able to run something cinematic like what SSM or ND come up with as well as something so bizarrely creative as what MM would cook up.

I understand that, but if you provide a free engine at the start of the gen to many devs wouldn't they be more likely to create a game for you? I mean it would cut out a lot of the work, and would certainly go further than having just good devkits.

i think sony did things wrong with the PS3 when it came to tools and engines. with the purchase of devkits you get ue3 which was fine in the beginning but later on sony activated the ICE team with naughty dog being the head of the team.

the tools and support from the ICE team should have been made available to all PS3 dev partners including 3rd party teams.

Mario007

i think sony did things wrong with the PS3 when it came to tools and engines. with the purchase of devkits you get ue3 which was fine in the beginning but later on sony activated the ICE team with naughty dog being the head of the team.

the tools and support from the ICE team should have been made available to all PS3 dev partners including 3rd party teams.
Did not know that...kinda funny that U3 was the one engine that works much worse on ps3 as opposed to x360.

i-Lo

what did you want them to show? they had nothing (outside of last of us and beyond) that was really relevant. 2012 was a off year for sony as they focused on the casual crowd but it's clear that 2013 and 2014 are where their internal studios are focusing on.

Let's hope so. I am emphatically hoping to be proven wrong because I really want to get a PS4 day 1. And like I said before, I really hope they stick to actual upcoming products instead of tech demos to pad the presentation time.

The latter.

Like the True HD version of HD releases @60fps perhaps.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Let's hope so. I am emphatically hoping to be proven wrong because I really want to get a PS4 day 1. And like I said before, I really hope they stick to actual upcoming products instead of tech demos to pad the presentation time.

i agree. the tech demo route is done and over with. i like the way nintendo did it with the past 2 e3's but i dont see both ms/ sony following that route. they know this will probably be the biggest e3 since the first with two new consoles so i am sure both want to show as much as they can to:

1 - gain mind share that "hey we are coming this year so save your money and forget about the wiiu".

2 - destroy anything that nintendo might be showing.

B.O.O.M

- Polyphonic Digital
- Sucker Punch
- Evolution Studios
- Ready at Dawn

Teams that are busy

The fact that Media Molecule keeps referring to their unannounced project an R&D one makes me think it might even be PSN or OS related rather than a game. It could also be a new game engine I guess.

I hope they bring Planetside 2 to ps4 as well. Either way I expect a pretty good first year software wise since a lot of these studios would have had a considerable time to work on their projects by the ps4 launch

Globox_82

Banned
The fact that Media Molecule keeps referring to their unannounced project an R&D one makes me think it might even be PSN or OS related rather than a game. It could also be a new game engine I guess.

I hope they bring Planetside 2 to ps4 as well. Either way I expect a pretty good first year software wise since a lot of these studios would have had a considerable time to work on their projects by the ps4 launch

Media Molecule Spend £4.1 Million On R&D

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/01/09/media-molecule-spend-4-1-million-on-rd/

on PSN game? I doubt it. They said it's more ambitious then LBP

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Don't be surprised if Gaikai is accessible on Xbox 720 hardware, since it's all web-enabled.

Wouldn't that be sort of funny? Playing and accessing Playstation content on an Xbox.

Sid

I think it will happen next-gen. May be later in the gen, but it WILL happen.

Sony doesn't make anything off hardware, and getting their software into as many hands as possible should be the ultimate goal for their business.
Not in the competitors hands,man...the goal should be 'one sony' not 'one sony+microsoft+nintendo+apple+panasonic jungle'

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Not in the competitors hands,man...the goal should be 'one sony' not 'one sony+microsoft+nintendo+apple+panasonic jungle'

No, that is backwards thinking that has gotten Sony in a lot of trouble this past decade.

Sony needs to leverage the playstation brand on all TVs, all phones, all tablets, and yes all consoles too. Gaikai is their venue to accomplishing that.

How successful would Netflix be if it was only compatible with a Netflix branded box?

Top Bottom