• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

What do you mean, how? They bought Gaikai to own their tech. Putting it to work on Playstation hardware is the first order of business.

PS3 hardware? Retool every Gaikai server to run PS3 games? Buy Cell Server Blades a completely expensive way of providing Or are they going to put in AMD tech to go future-proof for PS4 games?

Unless they somehow get PS3 games to run on AMD servers, I don't see how they'll get BC on Gaikai.

Elios83

This. When you compare RSX to Xenos, RSX kills it in raw power (400 vs 240 GFLOPS). However, thanks to eDRAM, and better architecture Xenos turned out to be a much better GPU.

As far as I know RSX has 24 pixel shaders capable of 2 floating point operations per cycle so at 500MHz it's 240Gigaflops.
It also has 8 vertex shaders capable of 1 floating point operation per cycle and if you count them in, there's an extra 40 Gigaflops.
So well at best the RSX has 280 Gigaflops.

Except those are probably specs for X720.

Regarding RAM, if Sony goes with split pool once again (DDR3/4+GDDR5), I'm not sure how developers are going to like this, specially late in next gen. Wouldn't want to see another "Skyrim incident" on PS4.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft went with a unified pool of 8GB of DDR3 plus some amount of embedded RAM (128-256MB) in the GPU, while Sony would prefer a split memory approach, with 4-8GB of DDR3 and 2GB of GDDR5.

i-Lo

I know this is a rumour/leak but...

In Sonys 2005 or 2006, I forget which, E3 press conference they said the PS3 had 2 tflops overall. Which we all know is complete shit. So I'm not sure whether the whole tflops argument is worth having.

I know this could be for the next Xbox but still, it all seems abit silly to me.

Yea, lol. That's why I'd rather have a third party down the line analyse the specs because for all we know Sony may as well come out and PS4 has 10TF (bunch of liars). That said, it looks like the current set of rumours once again point to a workable figure of at least 2TF. I just hope they can sort out the RAM issue.

Donnie

They are more powerful that overclocked Gamecube cpu cores, that's for sure.

Yeah so is WiiU's CPU, unless you think overclocking can add extra instructions and extra cache (plus whatever else they may have changed). Is a 1.6Ghz Jaguar core a bit more powerful than a WiiU CPU core @1.24Ghz?, probably, could 8 of them emulate three WiiU cores, erm no..

I mean you'd also have to emulate the audio DSP and the ARM CPU as well, its a ludicrous claim.

Donnie

It's a custom design which we know nothing about. Why would his claim be invalid?

Because unless they've improved Jaguar by a factor of 3 its not even close to being possible. I have little doubt it'll be a modified Jaguar core, but its not going to be improved to a point where its in a different league to the standard design and it would need to be to even have a chance of doing what he suggests.

Sid

PS3 hardware? Retool every Gaikai server to run PS3 games? Buy Cell Server Blades a completely expensive way of providing Or are they going to put in AMD tech to go future-proof for PS4 games?

Unless they somehow get PS3 games to run on AMD servers, I don't see how they'll get BC on Gaikai.
Not every ps3 game? mostly the ones which have pc versions maybe.

jaosobno

As far as I know RSX has 24 pixel shaders capable of 2 floating point operations per cycle so at 500MHz it's 240Gigaflops.
It also has 8 vertex shaders capable of 1 floating point operation per cycle and if you count them in, there's an extra 40 Gigaflops.
So well at best the RSX has 280 Gigaflops.

Actually RSX's pixel shader pipes can do 27 FP operations per cycle. So that means (24 pixel pipelines x 27 FP x 550 MHz pipeline clock) + (8 vertex pipes x 10 FP x 550 MHz pipeline clock) = 400400000000 FLOPS = 400,4 GFLOPS.

@erererr (from TGFC) we've also heard of that PC Watch article, thx for the link anyway. Always nice to refresh on the latest rumors :) For GAF, this is what he posted (google translate):

PS4 specs
In early November 2012, SCE held the first session of the next-generation PlayStation "Developers Conference (Tokyo)
An important aspect of the development kit distribution is based on the AMD APU
AMD's APU is determined (probably will crossfire of an independent the gpu)
ps4 on sale in the first half of 2014 to complete the development of the chip need at least 9 months ago
All chips using 28nm process
Gaikai Cloud used to run on the ps4 ps3 game

http://club.tgfcer.com/viewthread.php?tid=6586999&page=7#pid15927500

DieH@rd

Banned
Translated chinese comments from an earlier thread [made in November, kudos to N2O from B3D for translating it], and quick recap of the new thread

old chinese thread
-X720 will use HD8XXX
-GPU has a yield problem
-Console will only have one bigass APU
-Console will use 285W of power, most likely thats a number for power supply/ac adapter [it will surely be capped at 60-70% to provide better thermals and reliability, so 170-180W is most likely we will ever see from it].
-Both X720 and PS4 will be powerful

new chinese thread
-confirmation of 8850/8870 architecture in X720

I know this is ps3 thread, but this X720 hw news will most likely play a big role in PS4 hw. Dont forget, nothing is confirmed yet. These are unconfirmed rumors... for now. :D

Elios83

Actually RSX's pixel shader pipes can do 27 FP operations per cycle. So that means (24 pixel pipelines x 27 FP x 550 MHz pipeline clock) + (8 vertex pipes x 10 FP x 550 MHz pipeline clock) = 400400000000 FLOPS = 400,4 GFLOPS.

Yeah I just checked and you're right for the number of floating operations, btw the clock frequency ended up being downgraded to 500MHz. So the actual number would be 364 Gigaflops.

Translated chinese comments [kudos to N2O from B3D] from that CN forum thread that I posted before:

-X720 will use HD8XXX
-GPU has a yield problem
-Console will use 285W of power, most likely thats a number for power supply [most likely it will be capped at 60-70% to provide better thermals and reliability, so 170-180W is most likely we will ever see from it].

I know this is ps3 thread, but this X720 hw news will most likely play a big role in PS4 hw. Dont forget, nothing is confirmed yet. These are unconfirmed rumors... for now. :D

omg, APU! but...xb3 is supposedly uber powerful! ;)

jaosobno

Yeah I just checked and you're right for the number of floating operations, btw the clock frequency ended up being downgraded to 500MHz. So the actual would be 364 Gigaflops.

Oh, didn't know they downgraded looks like I was a bit off then. Thx for the info.

DieH@rd

Banned
All this talk about bigass APU is only confirming those news from S|A that MS has big problems with yields. I think they are trying to create some ~150W monstruosity.

Globox_82

Banned
Translated chinese comments from an earlier thread [made in November, kudos to N2O from B3D for translating it], and quick recap of the new thread

old chinese thread
-X720 will use HD8XXX
-GPU has a yield problem
-Console will use 285W of power, most likely thats a number for power supply/ac adapter [it will surely be capped at 60-70% to provide better thermals and reliability, so 170-180W is most likely we will ever see from it].

new chinese thread
-confirmation of 8850/8870 architecture in X720

two GPUs thing?

Elios83

All this talk about bigass APU is only confirming those news from S|A that MS has big problems with yields. I think they are trying to create some ~150W monstruosity.

A lot of the architectural choices are dictated by the memory configuration.
PS4 is now supposed to have an APU coupled with an external GPU, with the Xbox next they're trying to integrate everything in a single giant chip.
It makes sense if we're assuming that Microsoft is using embedded memory so they only need a giant unified memory pool, while if Sony's not planning to have embedded RAM they need an additional external bus to have the needed bandwidth and memory capacity.
The only problem with Microsoft's approach is that yields can be terrible and there can be a significant failure rate due to thermal issues. It seems a bit weird that Microsoft hasn't learned the lesson after 1 billion losses due to the RROD.
So...who knows, I think we still haven't reached a point where rumors can be really trusted or considered definitive.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yeah, there are no reliable rumors.

In fact, i still believe that with each new rumor we know less and less about final products. :D But its fun to speculate.

KageMaru

Not that it's a big deal, but RSX isn't 550MHz.

ekim

E3 is still so far away :(
Can't wait.

I really hope Sony or MS announce their new consoles in Q1 or at least before E3.

Averon

Can't wait.

I really hope Sony or MS announce their new consoles in Q1 or at least before E3.

I really don't expect MS to say anything about the 720 before GoW: Judgement's release. Coincidentally, Judgement's release and GDC 2013 happens right on top of each other, so I expect some 720 news from GDC.

Sid

From gaikai's site
And while we think all of that is pretty cool, we're not done yet. As a new member of the Sony Computer Entertainment family, we're working even harder to ensure the world's best entertainment content is delivered instantly to you, no matter where you are in the world.
I think PS Plus members will get free vita versions(streams) of PS4 games when they buy the console version and/or PS4 games will be playable on as many sony devices as possible including smartphones,tablets etc.

Shouldn't this thread be renamed to Next Gen Rumor thread? I think most people in here are very interested in what is going to be in both of these machines whether they have intentions of buying both, one or even none.

jaosobno

Why do you think sony bought gaikai?

I know that you are not asking me, but IMO, to use it as a future content delivery platform. It could very well be that this is the last generation of "physical" consoles we will ever see. It wouldn't surprise me that next gen has even longer life cycle than this gen just so they could make a full transition to the Cloud. With advent of HEVC (H.265) and inevitable rise of Internet access speed, in 2020+ Cloud gaming becomes a global reality (even sooner than that for people with sufficient bandwidth).

PSN and Live will become new "consoles" and I can already see Sony renaming PSN to Playstation Cloud.

Sid

I know that you are not asking me, but IMO, to use it as a future content delivery platform. It could very well be that this is the last generation of "physical" consoles we will ever see. It wouldn't surprise me that next gen has even longer life cycle than this gen just so they could make a full transition to Cloud. With advent of HEVC (H.265) and inevitable rise of Internet access speed, in 2020+ Cloud gaming becomes a reality.

PSN and Live will become new "consoles" and I can already see Sony renaming PSN to Playstation Cloud.
Yeah i could see that happening.

PS4/720 is the last chance for AMD and their struggling CPU business (sales, masterminds behind APU, Fusion, Brazos, etc are already gone, Steamroller delays, ...) to gain a small foothold and reinvent themself. If they fail the next-gen consoles after that will get Samsung, ARM, Intel hardware. To a lesser extent that also concerns the GPU division - show the world you are a generation ahead with great console GPUs or become obsolete in the next couple of years.

DieH@rd

Banned
From gaikai's site
I think PS Plus members will get free vita versions(streams) of PS4 games when they buy the console version and/or PS4 will be playable on as many sony devices as possible including smartphones,tablets etc.

And I really hope that the same will be offered to PC users. Just log in via browser to SEN and start playing PS1/2/3/4/psp/vita games.

Why do you think sony bought gaikai?

To provide other features? Hell, I still think they will rewrite home for x86 and run it off the servers for instant streaming instead of having to download every single game and character model. Connect to server, BAM! Loaded instantly. They make a hell of a lot of money on Home, and if they can get more and more people to get in because access is instant, it will make them even more money.

I'm sure they'll use it for more than just that, but buying mass PC licenses for 3rd party games and not providing their 1st party titles on streaming is down right stupid. They tout their 1st party line up every chance they get, there is ZERO chance of them ignoring it.

Vol5

A lot of the architectural choices are dictated by the memory configuration.
PS4 is now supposed to have an APU coupled with an external GPU, with the Xbox next they're trying to integrate everything in a single giant chip.
It makes sense if we're assuming that Microsoft is using embedded memory so they only need a giant unified memory pool, while if Sony's not planning to have embedded RAM they need an additional external bus to have the needed bandwidth and memory capacity.
The only problem with Microsoft's approach is that yields can be terrible and there can be a significant failure rate due to thermal issues. It seems a bit weird that Microsoft hasn't learned the lesson after 1 billion losses due to the RROD.
So...who knows, I think we still haven't reached a point where rumors can be really trusted or considered definitive.

...well they ARE a software company at heart.

This also ties in with rumors that at AMD the MS chip has the bigger focus. Could this be due to yield issues, AMD getting the chip to work or because it truly is a revolution? Sony seem happy to take a more off-the-shelf approach and build the system board around the already proven AMD chips.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Can't wait.

Im starting to wonder what we will actually be shown at E3, 6 months ago I was expecting show floor game demos, release date/pricing etc. Now Im not sure we'll get anything other than the hardware being announced/shown and the typical games montage during the presser.

Sid

To provide other features? Hell, I still think they will rewrite home for x86 and run it off the servers for instant streaming instead of having to download every single game and character model. Connect to server, BAM! Loaded instantly. They make a hell of a lot of money on Home, and if they can get more and more people to get in because access is instant, it will make them even more money.

I'm sure they'll use it for more than just that, but buying mass PC licenses for 3rd party games and not providing their 1st party titles on streaming is down right stupid. They tout their 1st party line up every chance they get, there is ZERO chance of them ignoring it.
So are you expecting backwards compatibility?

Why would they even need to be cross compatible? Have some servers for PS3 games, some for PS4 games (if they even intend to put PS4 games on there) What happened to remote playing from your own console.
But I am a bit doubtful that they'll have 'native' PS3 games running on there at all.

jaosobno

There's no way in hell that they're going to let you play PS4 games on your PC. No chance.

Why not? If Sony gave HTC "playstation certification" (other manufacturers will probably follow), there is no reason for them to shy away from PC. Besides, when Cloud gaming becomes a global reality, Sony's cloud service will be platform agnostic. They should start swaying PC gamers early. Of course, due to state of global broadband speeds and lack of decent compression standard (HEVC/H.265), most people will still prefer buying physical console. For starters, they could at least offer you to play PS4 demos on the PC.

Sid

Why not? If Sony gave HTC "playstation certification" (other manufacturers will probably follow), there is no reason for them to shy away from PC. Besides, when Cloud gaming becomes a global reality, Sony's cloud service will be platform agnostic. They should start swaying PC gamers early.
If you can play these games on the PC how many would buy a PS4? i think buying the PS4 will be the entry point and then being a plus member will give us access to these features.

Why not? If Sony gave HTC "playstation certification" (other manufacturers will probably follow), there is no reason for them to shy away from PC. Besides, when Cloud gaming becomes a global reality, Sony's cloud service will be platform agnostic. They should start swaying PC gamers early.

Because there's no way that they're going to take away a reason to own the PS4. They might give access to legacy titles on the PC through Gaikai, but that's about it. And they might even throw in a cutoff there (up to PS2 titles).

Im starting to wonder what we will actually be shown at E3, 6 months ago I was expecting show floor game demos, release date/pricing etc. Now Im not sure we'll get anything other than the hardware being announced/shown and a the typical games montage during the presser.

I think Sony will cut straight to the point. As it stands, all of their announced games release before E3.

I think we'll get onstage demo's, and announcement trailer after announcement trailer similar to how they announced games for Vita at Gamescom this year. That Killzone: Mercenary trailer just started up straight after a prior trailer and got the hype going.

Sony will surprise everyone. They have more than one team in all of their major studios:

Santa Monica (2 large teams + PSN assistance + incubation projects)
Guerrilla Games (at least 2 Amsterdam teams + Guerrilla Cambridge)
Sony London (Multiple teams, suspiciously also hiring for what appears to be a big project)
Naughty Dog (2 large teams)
Polyphony Digital (Two studios on separate sites now, I believe)
Sucker Punch (Recent rumblings suggest they are a two team studio now)
Media Molecule (Two teams)
Evolution Studios (Two teams)
Sony Japan Studios have also seemingly sorted their shit out.

I expect a lot of games, and at the very least - a lot of announcements.

ekim

Im starting to wonder what we will actually be shown at E3, 6 months ago I was expecting show floor game demos, release date/pricing etc. Now Im not sure we'll get anything other than the hardware being announced/shown and the typical games montage during the presser.

My guess : Xbox3 announcement on a dedicated event in April/may and blowout of games on E3 + Price/Release date

Sid

I think Sony will cut straight to the point. As it stands, all of their announced games release before E3.

I think we'll get onstage demo's, and announcement trailer after announcement trailer similar to how they announced games for Vita at Gamescom this year. That Killzone: Mercenary trailer just started up straight after a prior trailer and got the hype going.

Sony will surprise everyone. They have more than one team in all of their major studios:

Santa Monica (2 large teams + PSN assistance + incubation projects)
Guerrilla Games (at least 2 Amsterdam teams + Guerrilla Cambridge)
Sony London (Multiple teams, suspiciously also hiring for what appears to be a big project)
Naughty Dog (2 large teams)
Polyphony Digital (Two studios on separate sites now, I believe)
Sucker Punch (Recent rumblings suggest they are a two team studio now)
Media Molecule (Two teams)
Evolution Studios (Two teams)
Sony Japan Studios have also seemingly sorted their shit out.

I expect a lot of games, and at the very least - a lot of announcements.
Evolution and Sucker Punch have 2 teams now?

jaosobno

If you can play these games on the PC how many would buy a PS4? i think buying the PS4 will be the entry point and then being a plus member will give us access to these features.

I've edited my post and added an additional explanation:

"Of course, due to state of global broadband speeds and lack of decent compression standard (HEVC/H.265), most people will still prefer buying physical console. For starters, they could at least offer you to play PS4 demos on the PC."

DieH@rd

Banned
What would be easier... to create emulation of CELL/RSX on common X86 hardware, or port 20 best selling PS3 games to x86 and call it a day?

:D

Evolution and Sucker Punch have 2 teams now?

Evolution took on a fair amount of Studio Liverpools staff. They have had a team working on a new IP for a sigifnicant period of time. One of their leads was a guy who made PGR. This was also going on while Motorstorm Apocalypse and Motorstorm: RC were in development.

Sucker Punch have been coy about their growth. They've done a lot of hiring since moving to their new larger studio. They've even done a bit of hiring of former Bungie staff.

Quantic Dream have had access to Sony's plans too given they have another game in their deal with Sony after Beyond: Two Souls. We might get a tech demo from them, especially seeing as they've finished up all Mocap work on Beyond. Their ambitions are certainly large:

Quantic Dream said:
We have recently completed Beyond: Two Souls (internal production), the world's largest performance capture and motion capture production ever realized: 60 days of multi-actors full performance capture, along with 120 "conventional" motion capture shoot days!

Top Bottom