• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays: SimCity 4 (with mods)

Perkel

Banned
UPDATED ||14 January 2014|| ! with new working links and big region (5-7 times bigger than biggest SC4 vanilla region !)

simcity-4-deluxe-logo.png

SimCity is upon us. Many people don't like how small cities are. And quite a few people asked me for mods which i were using (when i posted screens in SC thread)
So lets play SC4 (with some mods):

You will need:

jWZhELQybDNxd_e.jpg

Instruction:

• - Install SC4 Deluxe or SC4+Expansion
  • - Install official patch above pack which i provided. SKU1 for america based countries, SKU2 for Europe with russia and middle east. After official patch, BAT Patch (same for every region). Steam users go straight for BAT Patch.
  • - Copy all content from plugins folder (above) to MyDocuments/SimCity4/Plugins
  • - Copy SimCity_1.dat to your main game forlder (eg: c:/simcity4/)
  • - Put region into MyDocuments/SimCity4/Regions
  • - Enjoy !

And remember to share your screenshots. There is nothing better than showing your cities to people.

Tips:

- Lot of trees and forests. SC4 without them everywhere look like ass. You can add trees on any existing green space including buildings so if backyard of some house look fugly then add tree. Tree model which i am using is the last one from tree menu it is also full grown !

- Add -CustomResolution:enabled -r1600x900x32 to shortcut to play at any resolution you want (1600x900 is just example)

- To have different roads like I use "Street Addon Mod (SAM)" near type of roads in SC4. Press tab to switch type of pavement. Use it on existing road. Delete white block after and stretch road with new pavement on existing roads to make them new type.
How it works:

ij9StMdZc4rRy.gif

- Do not invest is shools, hospitals at start. Just build your city. And when you will build them don't care if it covers every home.

- 1x1 homes can be build only if your region population will reach 700-900 people. Also they need transportation system like bus stops because people living there don't have cars !

- Remember to choose your building style controller (left option of data viev) Euro style which i am using is switched off at default and 5 year style change is just plain bad. My opinion ? Choose one style and switch to "build all style at same time" which will build only one style (with only one check)

- Remember that every city was at some point a village so it is preferable to start from small village and grow it to city changing roads, buildings, etc. Thanks to that your city will look more natural.

- Also do not min/max your budget. Take your time placing trees, parks, squares etc. Min/max is 1st thing which makes your city look like shit and 1st thing that makes players stop playing SC. Treat it more like gigantic puzzle which are you working on daily a hour for few months.

My town after 6-7 hours of playing:

Windows 7 users. Set affinity to only 1 CPU. Playing multicore can crash game.

If you looks for mods, lots, textures etc :

BSC Lot Exchange
Simtropolis

Roche

Sim City has always been a game which has interested me over the years, yet I never got around to actually playing it. Perhaps I'll pick it up and play along.

Sethos

Banned
Would have joined in but the wonky Windows 7 ( and I suppose that includes 8 as well ) support annoys me. I can't deal with crashes.

Perkel

Banned
Would have joined in but the wonky Windows 7 ( and I suppose that includes 8 as well ) support annoys me. I can't deal with crashes.

It is not that bad. I played 7 hours and i got one crash. As long as you keep to look for your cities in region view your are good. First village city is most problematic. When you have like 5-6 places to visit it is non issue later.

Sethos

Banned
It is not that bad. I played 7 hours and i got one crash. As long as you keep to look for your cities in region view your are good. First village city is most problematic. When you have like 5-6 places to visit it is non issue later.

Have you limited the game to 1 core as suggested?

Perkel

Banned
I say it because Sim City 4 wasn't designed for multiple cores and people report that's the reason for the crashes - http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Sim-City-4-Crashing

Just wanted to know if that could stop the crashing completely before I dig in.

Never know about it but as i said earlier crashes aren't that bad. One for 7 hours is bearable. Now that i have 3 places to work on i don't fear at all because i constantly switch between them.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any eye candy graphical mods out there? Oh and more screenshots, please!

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks! So even if you have the Steam version of Sim City 4 Deluxe you have to install the patch in the OP?

Have not played a Sim City game in a long time but I feel a craving while I wait for Sim City 2013

Perkel

Banned
Any eye candy mods out there?

No ENB :p since it is 2D game. Game imo looks amazing. Especially with better res.

Thanks! So even if you have the Steam version of Sim City 4 Deluxe you have to install the patch in the OP?

Have not played a Sim City game in a long time but I feel a craving while I wait for Sim City 2013

Only BAT patch included in patches which i provided. Then just dump content of plugins into your plugin folder.

kafiend

[*]- Install official patch above pack which i provided. Us for america based countries, Eu for Europe with russia and middle east. After official patch, BAT Patch (same for every region). Steam users go straight for BAT Patch.

The .bat patch threw up errors until I ran the game once. Then it worked.

Perkel

Banned
The .bat patch threw up errors until I ran the game once. Then it worked.

It shouldn't give you errors at all. It means mostly that you don't have latest patch.

Which version you have ? Go to /programfiles/cimsicty4/apps/simcity4.exe propieties and details.

With BAT update it should be : 1.1.640.0

Without BAT update 1.1.638

Perkel

Banned
I have this strange problem with your NAM pack. Anyone know why?

:(

- To have different roads like I use "Street Addon Mod (SAM)" near type of roads in SC4. Press tab to switch type of pavement. Use it on existing road. Delete white block after and stretch road with new pavement on existing roads to make them new type.

It works ok. Just delete those white blocks and stretch road from those new roads (without white on them)

That why it comes with 2 blocks. 1 for delete and 1 for stretch. Remember use it on normal roads/

Duriii

It's worth to note, that there are much, much more mods for this game. Starting from maps of real-life cities, new buildings, roads, flora's and ending with cars, planes and ships models. Not to mention some small mods, that improve interface or change many variables in the game's world.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/Default.htm

Both requires registering.

There's also a full conversion mod, that takes place on Mars, but I've never had the chance to check it out. It's still in Beta 3 and doesn't seem to be developed anymore, not since May 2011. Does anyone here tried it? Is it worth downloading, or is it just one big reskin of the original? http://www.moddb.com/mods/simmars

kafiend

It shouldn't give you errors at all. It means mostly that you don't have latest patch.

Which version you have ? Go to /programfiles/cimsicty4/apps/simcity4.exe propieties and details.

With BAT update it should be : 1.1.640.0

Without BAT update 1.1.638

I have the Steam Deluxe version. Oddly its saying 1.1.641.0 after running the patch. No idea what it was before.

I was only saying what happened to me just so that if it happened to anyone else they'd know that (for me at least) running the game once fixed the issue. Doing so also created the SimCity4 folder and sub folders in My Documents. They weren't there before.

Thanks for the thread/info btw it inspired me to play :)

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I just installed this and want to give it a shot, as the last time I tried to build a Sim City was in SC3K.

I have the Steam version, and the version # is 1.1.641.0 - I take it I can avoid any of the additional patches?

Mazdarati

Neo Member
It's worth to note, that there are much, much more mods for this game. Starting from maps of real-life cities, new buildings, roads, flora's and ending with cars, planes and ships models. Not to mention some small mods, that improve interface or change many variables in the game's world.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/Default.htm

Both requires registering.

Absolutely! I've spent countless hours playing SC4, but probably double that amount modelling stuff for that game.
I created many amusement park rides, roller coasters, and other assorted stuff you'd see at a Six Flags. A few examples:
mjJVPIU.jpg
58BkQ6I.jpg
9fgsGUE.jpg

I really hope Maxis continues to support mods for the newest simcity. It's the only reason the game has lasted as long as it has. Simtropolis is definitely worth checking out.

Perkel

Banned
I just installed this and want to give it a shot, as the last time I tried to build a Sim City was in SC3K.

I have the Steam version, and the version # is 1.1.641.0 - I take it I can avoid any of the additional patches?

Just BAT update from pack i included. Run game once. Then Bat update.

Perkel

Banned
Shameless bump. I took one of the best SC4 maps from simtropolis, changed trees and ground texture and spent a lot of time creating forest.

If anyone is interested i can pack it and share it (with new plugins folder). I think it is the most amazing map ever and its creator is god. Map size is 5-6 times of largest default SC4 map.

Open in new tap to see it. (It is still only a part of map !)

And thats how it look like on city level:

eroots

Shameless bump. I took one of the best SC4 maps from simtropolis, changed trees and ground texture and spent a lot of time creating forest.

If anyone is interested i can pack it and share it (with new plugins folder). I think it is the most amazing map ever and its creator is god. Map size is 5-6 times of largest default SC4 map.

Open in new tap to see it. (It is still only a part of map !)

And thats how it look like on city level:

Yes. That looks amazing. Would really like to try it out if you want to share..

Perkel

Banned
Ok I uploaded that map.

First you will need new set of plugins. If you have my old one from OP delete it and use this instead:

PLUGIN

Mentioned map

Instruction:
- Copy unpacked Plugin folder to mydocuments/simcity4/plugins folder
- Copy Region to mydocuments/simcity/regions

Remember that this plugins will change old maps if you open them up so if you want to comeback to old regions save your old plugin folder somewhere.
Take note that you need fast processor and in best scenario SSD to work with big cities.
It already has included COLOSUS mod so you can build those XXX milion cities and traffic won't be a problem in suburbs (fixed maxis road capacity)

edit: I managed to crop region view. Look at this ! (open in new tap or download !)

I was just thinking last night that I haven't played a city builder style game in awhile, and I had picked up SC4 for cheap during the steam sale last summer. I think the map pushed me over the edge, I'm going to be loading it up tonight!

I always used to build a dirty city full of industry and power plants right next to a clean one, and have people travel from one to the other for their jobs, since pollution doesn't cross map lines. But that kinda feels like cheating.... How do you balance the dirty industry on the same map as your residents?

Perkel

Banned
I was just thinking last night that I haven't played a city builder style game in awhile, and I had picked up SC4 for cheap during the steam sale last summer. I think the map pushed me over the edge, I'm going to be loading it up tonight!

I always used to build a dirty city full of industry and power plants right next to a clean one, and have people travel from one to the other for their jobs, since pollution doesn't cross map lines. But that kinda feels like cheating.... How do you balance the dirty industry on the same map as your residents?

I don't balance it. I am trying to make realistic cities.

So first i am starting from village level with a lot of farms and i crate several villages like that next to each other. Even on the same map/citymap. And from there each of those villages is progressively upgraded. When two or more villages are near each other i start to create houses on road to those two villages and small shops. After i while those villages will connect and that is how you start town. When town is growing you need to start other villages. With few towns you will see that some of them will be good foundation to near cities.

It's a looong play but overall it is worthwhile imo. Not only your towns and world will look believable but also you probably won't have problems with transportation since you worked on this problems from start.

Power building is probably the worst thing that will hindrance you big cities. They will look totally unrealistic and will have ton of problems.

I don't balance it. I am trying to make realistic cities.

So first i am starting from village level with a lot of farms and i crate several villages like that next to each other. Even on the same map/citymap. And from there each of those villages is progressively upgraded. When two or more villages are near each other i start to create houses on road to those two villages and small shops. After i while those villages will connect and that is how you start town. When town is growing you need to start other villages. With few towns you will see that some of them will be good foundation to near cities.

It's a looong play but overall it is worthwhile imo. Not only your towns and world will look believable but also you probably won't have problems with transportation since you worked on this problems from start.

Power building is probably the worst thing that will hindrance you big cities. They will look totally unrealistic and will have ton of problems.
Good plan. Nothing I built ended up looking like a city that had "organically" developed there. They all had a very manufactured look to them. Your way sounds a lot more enjoyable than min/maxing everything. I'm hoping my laptop can handle the map you uploaded, it looks fantastic.

Perkel

Banned
Is there any way to make it run at more than 5fps?

Good CPU. For me it runs constantly 30fps+ when i scroll out thanks to SSD it only drops for a second or two.
I heard software render also helps.

Also Win7 Virtual XP should help. I heard under XP it fly without any problems or slowdowns.

SSD is mayor help to run big cities.

eroots

Ok I uploaded that map.

First you will need new set of plugins. If you have my old one from OP delete it and use this instead:

PLUGIN

Mentioned map

Instruction:
- Copy unpacked Plugin folder to mydocuments/simcity4/plugins folder
- Copy Region to mydocuments/simcity/regions

Remember that this plugins will change old maps if you open them up so if you want to comeback to old regions save your old plugin folder somewhere.
Take note that you need fast processor and in best scenario SSD to work with big cities.
It already has included COLOSUS mod so you can build those XXX milion cities and traffic won't be a problem in suburbs (fixed maxis road capacity)

edit: I managed to crop region view. Look at this ! (open in new tap or download !)

I loaded up your region and THAT is Amazing.. I love it.. I just panned around for probably 15 minutes just looking at the different towns all spread out... Very cool.

I will definitely be putting some time into this. Thanks for putting this all together. I never tried mods with Simcity 4 til now. Every time I'd go to look for some I could never figure out what the heck I was supposed to be getting...there's so many options.. It'd be nice if there were more packs like this for people to get started with.

So, Thanks Again for putting this together.. I think I'll be upgrading my to a SSD soon just to run this better!

Jinroh

Good CPU. For me it runs constantly 30fps+ when i scroll out thanks to SSD it only drops for a second or two.
I heard software render also helps.

Also Win7 Virtual XP should help. I heard under XP it fly without any problems or slowdowns.

SSD is mayor help to run big cities.

Since when is a SSD part of the processing power?...

And I have a quad I7 that runs at 3.20 GHZ.

Perkel

Banned
Since when is a SSD part of the processing power?...

And I have a quad I7 that runs at 3.20 GHZ.

Since game constantly stream assets from your drive. I have 3Ghz q9300 and i am playing this without problems.

Those 5 fps are constant or it change over time ?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I'm pretty pissed off you made this thread because I just QUIT playing it. Now you do this and now I have to fucking re-install and start a god damn new region and plunk all my time after work into it. Thanks a lot.

Sec0nd

Those are some awesome cities guys! I always just dump buildings together and I end up with some random ugly busy city. You guys make me want to play some SC4 for sure.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If you have crashing problems, just use these launch options. (go to Steam Library, right-click SimCity4, properties, click "launch options tab)

This is what I have, and the game doesn't crash anymore.

Resolution:enabled -r1920x1200x32 -w -intro:eek:ff -EH:eek:ff -CPUCount:1

Just replace the -r1920x1200 with whatever your own resolution is. Mine is 1920x1200, which is why I used it.

"-w" is for running in window mode. Don't add that if you don't want windowed mode.

The most important thing, though, is the -CPUCount:1. Simcity 4 doesn't like multicores.

Yep. That's the latest version.

Just build it on the other side of the map. You can have a buffer zone of commercial zones in between, as well as a bunch of trees that you can plant. Trees soak up pollution pretty well.

Eventually when your populace gets more educated, you can start replacing it with manufacturing.

Isolating all your dirty industry in another zone is fine, it can be exploited to an extent, but then again, dirty and manufacturing industry is a pretty easy way to make money, so if you don't have that in your "main" city, then you could miss out on some easy money.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Isolating all your dirty industry in another zone is fine, it can be exploited to an extent, but then again, dirty and manufacturing industry is a pretty easy way to make money, so if you don't have that in your "main" city, then you could miss out on some easy money.

Oh yeah, also, if your sims commute to a different city, even if they live right next to the map, it'll automatically be considered a "long" commute, so that might mess up some desirability factors.

Oh yeah, also, if your sims commute to a different city, even if they live right next to the map, it'll automatically be considered a "long" commute, so that might mess up some desirability factors.
Wow really? That's good to know. Thanks! I'm getting everything set up now to start playing.

I experienced frequent crashes in XP so if it's not worse then I suppose it's not really much of a change. I used to have a full plugins folder saved as backup until my virus protection tagged some files and I deleted them just to be safe. Now I'm not really sure what I'm missing anymore.

After wasting a huge amount of time on searching for my previous files, what are people's opinions on the paid collections off the STEX/Simtropolis?

If you have crashing problems, just use these launch options. (go to Steam Library, right-click SimCity4, properties, click "launch options tab)

What do I do if I don't have the game installed via steam? I don't see a "launch options" tab.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I experienced frequent crashes in XP so if it's not worse then I suppose it's not really much of a change. I used to have a full plugins folder saved as backup until my virus protection tagged some files and I deleted them just to be safe. Now I'm not really sure what I'm missing anymore.

What do I do if I don't have the game installed via steam? I don't see a "launch options" tab.

It's the same thing as creating a shortcut to the simcity4.exe, and then typing that in the "target" box. Google for simcity4 single core shortcut or something for more details.

Top Bottom