• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays: SimCity 4 (with mods)

I've been trying to work on a region in the terraforming program. I drew my islands out in photoshop and then attempted building on top of them. Seems like I'll have to modify it heavily to get something interesting, because the terraformer makes it look much better than the actual game seems to.

SUbcI80.png

It's the same thing as creating a shortcut to the simcity4.exe, and then typing that in the "target" box. Google for simcity4 single core shortcut or something for more details.

Thanks it seems to have worked, although it didn't make any difference for my fan speed so I'll have to test it again while not running anything and see if it makes any difference.

Hellcrow

Recently picked this game up. Grew a wealthy residence region, with an industrial region, agriculture region and commercial region bordering it. I invested heavily in education. However, it ended up with too many wealthy people moving in, and suddenly I had a city full of rich people with no jobs, because I need poor and medium wealth people for most industry.

Thinking about restarting the region, and just trying to make the damn thing look good instead of rushing wealth.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Recently picked this game up. Grew a wealthy residence region, with an industrial region, agriculture region and commercial region bordering it. I invested heavily in education. However, it ended up with too many wealthy people moving in, and suddenly I had a city full of rich people with no jobs, because I need poor and medium wealth people for most industry.

Thinking about restarting the region, and just trying to make the damn thing look good instead of rushing wealth.

If you have a bunch of rich, smart people, your high tech demand and your medium and rich commercial office demand should have gone up too. Zone some commerical and industrial with some water for those to pop up.

Perkel

Banned

Yeah I hate when those rich folks just move in and take 2x3 spaces between my large blocks.

Tip:

Use Make Historical. Delete house and wait to build new one, if it is wrong again delete and build new one.

Most of the time i use MH for farms because it is unrealistic to have 50 different crops in one place. Usually most of the people tend to have same thing. I also look how high is region. So Wheat and fruit farms on low high, on higher levels diferent farms and on highest level cows horses etc.

trinest

I just played Sim City 4 without mods and shocked at how bad it aged.

Also how do you make it widescreen. My Steam copy is always 4:3.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Man, the Opera House sucks ass. It can get overcrowded, but there's nothing you can do about it, so it lowers the educational effectiveness of your city. I demolished mine, and all of a sudden the residential areas went from "medium" school grade to "high".

(yes I know there's a mod to fix that, but I can't be arsed.)

Perkel

Banned
Man, the Opera House sucks ass. It can get overcrowded, but there's nothing you can do about it, so it lowers the educational effectiveness of your city. I demolished mine, and all of a sudden the residential areas went from "medium" school grade to "high".

(yes I know there's a mod to fix that, but I can't be arsed.)

Opera fix mod is included already in my plugin pack. Both new and older.

lefantome

I never really played sim city 4, so I'm playing it instead of the new one, the changes, the beta farse are pissing me off and I don't know if my pc could run it.

in download

Orbis

I've been playing recently, but with no mods. Can't wait to try out this fantastic set of plugins you've compiled for us Perkel, thanks!

Just a question; will Sims be more inclined to use my monorail network with NAM or other included mods? I have a bit of a North Haverbrook situation going on with it at the moment.

Also, as suggested previously, I can confirm my working launch options for SC4 Deluxe from Steam are:

"-CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32 -f -intro:eek:ff -CPUCount:1"

Since using those options, the game hasn't crashed once and I have it running at 1080p widescreen. I also had to switch to software rendering on my laptop and it runs smoothly, but on my desktop it's using hardware rendering fine. But that made the difference between unplayable and buttery smooth on my laptop.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How intensive are the system reqs for this game? The last I played was 2k. Threads like this get me VERY interested again...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How intensive are the system reqs for this game? The last I played was 2k. Threads like this get me VERY interested again...

Not very intensive. The game was designed for PCs from 10 years ago. It was released in 2003. The major issues are software compatibility, which can be fixed using the methods suggested in the thread.

Also, as suggested previously, I can confirm my working launch options for SC4 Deluxe from Steam are:

"-CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32 -f -intro:eek:ff -CPUCount:1"

Since using those options, the game hasn't crashed once and I have it running at 1080p widescreen. I also had to switch to software rendering on my laptop and it runs smoothly, but on my desktop it's using hardware rendering fine. But that made the difference between unplayable and buttery smooth on my laptop.
Ooh, I'm going to have to try that rendering switch. When I loaded it up last night it was pretty smooth on the region screen, but going into a city and especially changing zoom levels, was quite choppy. Is that switch in the in game options?

Perkel

Banned
I found reason why new hardware have such a shitty framerate (for power which it have).

Shadows. Set it to low.

SC4 used tri something type of shadowing and it is very incompatibile with almost all new cards. It is working but it is working like dog shit.

So if you have FPS problems use low settings.

Quick

Banned
I love this game, but I can't ever be satisfied with my road layout. I criss-cross them, so they're evenly laid out, but it feels too congested.

Then there's placing airports or military bases. Can't seem to get it right.

Placing pipes and bus stops are tedious as hell.

Any pro tips?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I love this game, but I can't ever be satisfied with my road layout. I criss-cross them, so they're evenly laid out, but it feels too congested.

Then there's placing airports or military bases. Can't seem to get it right.

Placing pipes and bus stops are tedious as hell.

Any pro tips?

You can experiment with different size squares or longer rectangles, sorta like in SNES SimCity you had the donut zoning vs the long stretches of road zoning.

Some gifts dont necessarily need road access, like parks, churches. Even the hospitals don't need road access to accept patients. If every residence and business is in walking distance of a bus stop or subway station, then they might take that instead of driving. Walking distance is about 6 tiles or so.

I just stash airports and bases in a corner. It doesn't matter where you place em.

Use hotkeys to make placement faster.

http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=Keyboard_Shortcuts

water pipes is "i"

bus stops is "ctrl+shift+r"

Orbis

Ooh, I'm going to have to try that rendering switch. When I loaded it up last night it was pretty smooth on the region screen, but going into a city and especially changing zoom levels, was quite choppy. Is that switch in the in game options?
Yeah that's on the in game settings menu. Might be able to force it through launch options too but once it's set you won't need to change it anyway.

EDIT: You can add "-d:Software" to the launch options. Also there are some other ones I haven't tested:
"-d:DirectX"
"-d:OpenGL"
Obviously only use one of these three at a time. I assume the in game option for 'Hardware rendering' is the same as DirectX, so OpenGL might be worth a try.

p2535748

Ok I uploaded that map.

First you will need new set of plugins. If you have my old one from OP delete it and use this instead:

PLUGIN

Mentioned map

Instruction:
- Copy unpacked Plugin folder to mydocuments/simcity4/plugins folder
- Copy Region to mydocuments/simcity/regions

Remember that this plugins will change old maps if you open them up so if you want to comeback to old regions save your old plugin folder somewhere.
Take note that you need fast processor and in best scenario SSD to work with big cities.
It already has included COLOSUS mod so you can build those XXX milion cities and traffic won't be a problem in suburbs (fixed maxis road capacity)

edit: I managed to crop region view. Look at this ! (open in new tap or download !)

This looks awesome, but unfortunately it won't let me download the first part of the plugins (it says the download limit for the file has been reached). Is there any way you could re-upload? Thanks!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What to do if a Building Condition lowers? Anyway to increase condition back to 100%?

There are many factors that contribute to the condition of a building. If it looks dirty, that means there's a problem. If it looks abandoned, then you done fucked up.

For residential buildings, it might have too much air or water pollution around it, or perhaps it's accumulating too much garbage. Or, the sims who live in it take too long to get to work, or there aren't any jobs available that match their wealth and education level. Or the crime is too high, school coverage is too low, or the health coverage is too low.

For commercial, it's pretty much the same thing, minus the school and health stuff. For industrial, if the freight trucks take too long to get to the edge of the map, or to a freight station or seaport, then that's an issue too.

Check the data panel to see the desirability. If you check, for example, R$$ desirability, then there is something in that area that makes it unattractive for R$$ sims to live.

Otherwise, place stuff like parks to increase overall desirability in a given area. Residential specific items are things like flower gardens. Commercial specific ones are plazas. Everything else is somewhere in the middle.

Quick

Banned
You can experiment with different size squares or longer rectangles, sorta like in SNES SimCity you had the donut zoning vs the long stretches of road zoning.

Some gifts dont necessarily need road access, like parks, churches. Even the hospitals don't need road access to accept patients. If every residence and business is in walking distance of a bus stop or subway station, then they might take that instead of driving. Walking distance is about 6 tiles or so.

I just stash airports and bases in a corner. It doesn't matter where you place em.

Use hotkeys to make placement faster.

http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=Keyboard_Shortcuts

water pipes is "i"

bus stops is "ctrl+shift+r"

Thanks. I think I'll be reinstalling this game + mods on the OP.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
I'm going to try this and see how it goes on new hardware and Win8. I still have around 60GB of mods/buildings/you-name-it on an external somewhere.

How do you manage to avoid zots? In almost every city I make I end up having them and then I get mad and quit playing for 6 months.

Perkel

Banned
How do you manage to avoid zots? In almost every city I make I end up having them and then I get mad and quit playing for 6 months.

By playing organic. Don't build stuff like power gamer, min max everything. More more more etc.

Key to developing good city is to build slow from fundaments. Start from farms small villages and keep adding small things. New houses here and there, new shopping places around the town.

If you will min/max everything game your city will eventually clog up, bad designed roads will make traffic terrible and since zones are not planed with realism there will be choke points which will give hell to manage.

And worst offender of min/max is that your cities will look like shit.

Here is from above what organically developing villages look like:

iwK58dS6m4oV.png

Looks realistic and nice and most important works.

Citizen K

I'm trying to get this to work windowed with the -w command but it cuts off at the top an bottom of the screen. any ideas? ive set custom resolution to match my monitor.

edit - maybe lower the custom res a bit?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm trying to get this to work windowed with the -w command but it cuts off at the top an bottom of the screen. any ideas? ive set custom resolution to match my monitor.

edit - maybe lower the custom res a bit?

If it's cutting off, then your monitor's resolution isn't what you actually think it is. Or perhaps you have your taskbar getting in the way.

By playing organic. Don't build stuff like power gamer, min max everything. More more more etc.

Key to developing good city is to build slow from fundaments. Start from farms small villages and keep adding small things. New houses here and there, new shopping places around the town.

If you will min/max everything game your city will eventually clog up, bad designed roads will make traffic terrible and since zones are not planed with realism there will be choke points which will give hell to manage.

And worst offender of min/max is that your cities will look like shit.

Here is from above what organically developing villages look like:

iwK58dS6m4oV.png

Looks realistic and nice and most important works.

I was hoping for something a little more specific as I tend to generally aim for realistic cities and commonly it's not until 4-5 hours of playing that I see zots pop up.

What's a zot?

zots are when you have $$$ residents move out of $$$ residential areas because they can't find fancy work (hi-tech industry, $$$ commercial, etc) and the house eventually becomes abandoned

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
zots are when you have $$$ residents move out of $$$ residential areas because they can't find fancy work (hi-tech industry, $$$ commercial, etc) and the house eventually becomes abandoned

Oh, I see. In the unmodded game, commute time is one of the biggest problems people have, and a lot of people resort to using mods and "cheating", but you can handle it perfectly fine in the default simulation.

First, you gotta make sure that there are jobs available that fit the sims' wealth level and education level. Second, you gotta make sure that they can get to work in time.

For the first factor, just satisfying the demand graphs will usually suit you just fine. Poor, stupid sims will be just fine working in dirty industry or low wealth commercial services. Eventually, you gradually add an elementary school. Then later, you add a high school, then a collage, as you see you sims' education level by age slowly max out for each given age group.

Better education will raise land values, and prompt them to upgrade to a richer status, then eventually you should see higher wealth commercial and industrial jobs open up. High Tech industry is tricky, though, as you can't build it next to the polluting industries, so you have to make a nice, High Tech only sector in a clean part of your city, or in a neighboring zone.

As for traffic, in the beginning put bus stops every block. Buses don't contribute to congestion at all. As long as there is a bus stop in walking distance from a residential area and a job, the sims will probably take it. Eventually when the city density becomes heavier, add subways.

I've had cities with 700k+ sims in a medium size map that's not even half full yet on hard difficulty, no mods, so it's possible.

Citizen K

If it's cutting off, then your monitor's resolution isn't what you actually think it is. Or perhaps you have your taskbar getting in the way.

Its not the wrong res cos I obviously know that (1920x1200) but the game cuts off at the top and yeah under the taskbar. Ah well i'll stick to fullscreen i think.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Its not the wrong res cos I obviously know that (1920x1200) but the game cuts off at the top and yeah under the taskbar. Ah well i'll stick to fullscreen i think.

If the taskbar is getting in the way, then right click it, properties > auto hide taskbar.

If it's getting cut off at the top, then....uh...you might have another widget or something getting in the way? Or you're writing the launch options wrong?

RayStorm

The resolution you set is just the resolution the SC4 content is. That means in windows mode you also have borders and the title bar that each take several pixels of space.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've been playing a new region that I created for a few months now, on and off. This is the largest city I have yet in this region, coming along fairly nicely so far:

I have a few farm towns started now too in other zones, gonna start the next major city soon. Slowly building the highway and rail network across the entire region to connect all the cities.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I own SC4 for Windows. I wonder if it'll work well enough in Windows 7 under Parallels... or if I can find the disc anywhere at all...

RayStorm

After playing for the past few weeks again, I've come to the conclusion that the sense of scale is completely wrong in SC4 (be it vanilla or with mods). 2*2 Buildings with 6 floors housing 400 people is just not right. Or at least it seems completely wrong. Or high rises that house thousands of people. Even R$$$. And Landmarks like the Empire State Building dwarfing the highest skyscrapers that grow by themselves. Yet those provide more space for people than equivalent buildings in reality.

That's completely taking me out of the game. Are there mods that rectify that to some degree?

Darklord

Banned
I forgot how bad the performance goes to shit when moving the camera around in this game, so annoying.

Are there any tips on building a good city? I always seem to hit a wall and start hemorrhaging money.

Inkwell

Banned
I picked this up during a Steam sale and haven't gotten around to trying it out. I've never played a SimCity game before. How important are those plugins/mods?

Perkel

Banned
I picked this up during a Steam sale and haven't gotten around to trying it out. I've never played a SimCity game before. How important are those plugins/mods?

They change a lot how game looks and works. You can play vanilla SC4 it is still fun but overall mods like NAM or CAM change a lot so you want them. Nam changes completely how traffic is managed and CAM allows for much smoother developing of cities.

So I started playing this weekend, and two things are bugging me, maybe you know which mod is doing it?
1. There are no cars on the streets! I waited through 3 day/night cycles and didn't see any cars.
2. There are these HUGE spindly trees that pop up all along the streets in my residential neighborhoods. They look kind of odd and half the time people are TP'ing them, which is really ugly. How can I get rid of them?

Perkel

Banned
So I started playing this weekend, and two things are bugging me, maybe you know which mod is doing it?
1. There are no cars on the streets! I waited through 3 day/night cycles and didn't see any cars.
2. There are these HUGE spindly trees that pop up all along the streets in my residential neighborhoods. They look kind of odd and half the time people are TP'ing them, which is really ugly. How can I get rid of them?

did you used my plugins or my plugins and your plugins ?

If you copied and patched everything as in instruction there will be no problems.

Wish you had started this earlier...

Last month I reinstalled the game and spent a couple of hours running around the net trying to remember which mods and stuff I needed.

BTW: Whats your solution to the garbage problem? Garbage is completely broken in the game right? I always have to use those mods that just make it go away - my one and only cheat.

Nice cities, very euopean. Heres what I have going.

Farm City

sc1_zps8e127c6e.jpg

sc2_zpscf048978.jpg

sc3_zpsa800efc3.jpg

I am always amused when people say its hard to make money.
sc4_zpsa740ea0d.jpg

Heres what my main city is looking like
sc5_zps2c70b1cd.jpg

My main city is actually three distinct and independent cities - no road connections, just rail and ferry

sc6_zps2c7e15d9.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

If you're unsatisfied with the mechanics of the main game, or want more variety in the buildings, then mods are good.

I've don't use any, though. They make the game too easy. I prefer the challenge of the simulation and balancing needs, resources, and budgets.

If you don't like a challenge, however, and prefer just building stuff, then you may want to take a look at mods.

Top Bottom