• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays: SimCity 4 (with mods)

I built a city for the poors (top right)

sc41_zps30eb582d.jpg

Also, Im scared what will happen when I finally connect by road these two cities which are in the same massive plot

SC42_zps75a18e48.jpg

Currently, theres one rail connection, so everyone takes the train.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So I was browsing through my Amazon digital downloads history, and I just realized that I completely forgot that I had bought SimCity4 on Amazon before. Which means I unwittingly bought it twice when I purchased it on Steam because I thought I didn't have it.

lol.

Perkel

Banned
So I was browsing through my Amazon digital downloads history, and I just realized that I completely forgot that I had bought SimCity4 on Amazon before. Which means I unwittingly bought it twice when I purchased it on Steam because I thought I didn't have it.

lol.

I bought Witcher 1 3 times (willingly)

Remmy2112

I've bought SimCity 4 three times. Once upon release, never ended up getting the expansion. Later I picked up a physical copy of the deluxe edition, and most recently got it digitally on Origin.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I bought Witcher 1 3 times (willingly)
I bought the new XCOM about 7 times, lol.

I've bought SimCity 4 three times. Once upon release, never ended up getting the expansion. Later I picked up a physical copy of the deluxe edition, and most recently got it digitally on Origin.

Yeah, actually I do have the boxed copy of SC4, too. So that means I have bought this game 3 times XD.

Angst

Trying to download the files in the OP, but they don't seem to work. Any chance of rehosting them? Torrent or Dropbox for example.
Edit: seems to work now :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Does dirty or manufacturing industry need water to thrive/grow?

I'm placing those in one city and my high-tech industry in my main city.

It only needs water to achieve the higher density buildings. If you have a bunch of industry and you don't have any room to zone more, feed your existing industry water to make it upgrade itself and get more jobs in the same area of space.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The demand graph shows that there is high demand for low wealth sims. That means you have lots of jobs available for low wealth sims, but not enough low wealth sims to fill those jobs.

Your problem is actually the opposite of what you think it is. Zone more residential.

Perkel

Banned
if i build more homes i should get less unemployment rates? i dont get it.

--------

those farms are temporary

From that screen looks like people from certain wealth range don't have jobs or they don't have jobs near them. Also i see you are power building which means that you will have a lot of problems in near future

Anyone know if the NAM works with version 1.1.613.0? I installed all of the plugins, and didn't notice any difference with the traffic routes. Is it working? Do I need to turn it on somehow?

Also, don't know which mod it was, but my RCI demand for everything skyrocketed and huge commercial buildings started appearing. Which mod was this?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Anyone know if the NAM works with version 1.1.613.0? I installed all of the plugins, and didn't notice any difference with the traffic routes. Is it working? Do I need to turn it on somehow?

Also, don't know which mod it was, but my RCI demand for everything skyrocketed and huge commercial buildings started appearing. Which mod was this?

That was probably CAM.

With NAM, if you installed the NAM traffic simulator and didn't accidentally uncheck that box when you installed, you'll find that your roads don't get congested as often, and that sims won't mind walking further distances.

Perkel

Banned

That was probably CAM.

With NAM, if you installed the NAM traffic simulator and didn't accidentally uncheck that box when you installed, you'll find that your roads don't get congested as often, and that sims won't mind walking further distances.

CAM and NAM are integrated into plugins pack. RCI demand is changed because how CAM works. Now it is more realistic.

Son1x

You got me all motivated. Gonna install it now. I still have my previous (few of them) plugin folders, so I'll just use one of those.

Angst

I installed the packs in the OP a few weeks ago. Everything looked good, except the map on the main menu that somehow had leftovers from my earlier games, despite me deleting them before reinstalling the game... :p

Artadius

finally getting around to this and I'm trying to download the plugin pack... the download isn't working. It starts downloading... but stalls out shortly thereafter. Anyone have it handy that could drop it in a public dropbox folder temporarily?

Seiru

Banned
These plugins won't break any of the game's tutorials, will they? I haven't played a sim city game in a while, and wanted to go through the tutorials to help me get started.

Berordn

These plugins won't break any of the game's tutorials, will they? I haven't played a sim city game in a while, and wanted to go through the tutorials to help me get started.

I don't think they interfere with Timbuktu or Maxisland, but if you're playing for the first time you might want to ease in and just install NAM to fix the traffic pathing.

finally getting around to this and I'm trying to download the plugin pack... the download isn't working. It starts downloading... but stalls out shortly thereafter. Anyone have it handy that could drop it in a public dropbox folder temporarily?

Same here. Was waiting out the new SimCity but with all the issues I want to play 4 again.

Edit: The ones from this post downloaded fine but are a completely different size. Not sure which is right.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46865870&postcount=73

SlickVic

Always meant to play this (haven't played a SimCity since SC2000) but for whatever reasons I always seem to miss the sales when it goes down to $5. Next big Steam sale hopefully I'll get a chance to get it finally.

seb

Banned
I'm glad to report that with the latest patch and the appropriate command line options I didn't see a single crash in 5+ hours of game.
First time I play a simcity and I love it. I'm still in the tutorial at the part where you are supposed to grow to 20k sims. It's taking me forever but I'm growing slowly, balancing everything carefully. I don't feel the need for any of the plugins yet.
What's wrong with the traffic ? I don't see it.

Darklord

Banned
This game runs terribly on my PC. Is there any tips or mods to help it go smoother? If I sit there it's good, if I scroll it chugs so hard.

Dr Dogg

Well if anything about the whole other Sim City debacle that has been worthwhile is I might go install this again. Some of the maps in here are huge.

Mikey Jr.

Stupid question, i know.

Does this game rely much on the keyboard? Can a lot of the game be played with a mouse and using a virtual keyboard?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've been playing an old region of mine in Simcity 4 for a few weeks now, and for years the only mod I've had installed was the NAM mod. I just never really bothered much with any other mods. But now that I know I'm not buying the new Simcity, not for a couple years at least until they patch in some improvements that I wish it had, I've decided to start looking into a few more mods.

I mean, since I'm going to be playing Simcity 4 for at least a few more years I might as well really tweak it out, right?

So last night I downloaded the stuff in Perkel's OT, I figured that would be a good start, and I have to say I'm impressed so far. The new street options are nice. So are the new trees and other scenery that I've looked at. I still have some more discovering to do I'm sure, I'm not sure yet how that SPAM mod works. And I want to look into some other mods, like maybe something to improve beaches? The default beaches can really piss me off sometimes.

Anyway, once I get all the mods I want installed and working I'm going to start a brand new region, and I've decided I'm going to use the one that Perkel has in the OT. I've made a lot of my own regions, but Cape Newhorn is a better map than I've ever come up with. Plus, its really freakin huge, so I'll have plenty of space to keep building into it for years to come.

I'll post some pics of what I start out with soon.

Perkel

Banned
I've been playing an old region of mine in Simcity 4 for a few weeks now, and for years the only mod I've had installed was the NAM mod. I just never really bothered much with any other mods. But now that I know I'm not buying the new Simcity, not for a couple years at least until they patch in some improvements that I wish it had, I've decided to start looking into a few more mods.

I mean, since I'm going to be playing Simcity 4 for at least a few more years I might as well really tweak it out, right?

So last night I downloaded the stuff in Perkel's OT, I figured that would be a good start, and I have to say I'm impressed so far. The new street options are nice. So are the new trees and other scenery that I've looked at. I still have some more discovering to do I'm sure, I'm not sure yet how that SPAM mod works. And I want to look into some other mods, like maybe something to improve beaches? The default beaches can really piss me off sometimes.

Anyway, once I get all the mods I want installed and working I'm going to start a brand new region, and I've decided I'm going to use the one that Perkel has in the OT. I've made a lot of my own regions, but Cape Newhorn is a better map than I've ever come up with. Plus, its really freakin huge, so I'll have plenty of space to keep building into it for years to come.

I'll post some pics of what I start out with soon.

There are mods for better beaches but main problem is that terrafforming is fucked up in SC4.

G-Unit

lol.

If you have a extra copy, would you mind sharing it with me ? I'm really thin on money right now :s... just enough to buy sc2 hots :( or anyone care to donate it?

Perkel

Banned
That is really beautiful.
Were dirt roads in original or is that a mod? Also like how that diagonal road curves slightly, makes it look far more authentic.

Road curves are part of NAM and dirt roads (and other types) are part of SAM. Curved roads are bit tricky to create.

Both of them are included in my plugin pack.

Btw this month there should be new NAM version which will add puting almost all NAM roads without using TAB key.

DigitalAdhesive

Neo Member
I can download the plugin .rar just fine, but I keep getting a download error at two percent in on the region. Does anyone know where I can download it elsewhere?

Top Bottom