• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

O7qVWl6l.jpg

Ok so i got it early and I'm, not sure how i feel yet. The game in many was need a lot of polish and makes me wounder what have they been doing with all the time they have been given.
Half the game so far and i am only about 2 hours in and i have fought lots of humans, i like the dynamic of Aliens fighting other bad troops but still WFT

Where did you get your copy at? ;) Be happy. Play :D

Nekofrog

Banned
O7qVWl6l.jpg

Ok so i got it early and I'm, not sure how i feel yet. The game in many was need a lot of polish and makes me wounder what have they been doing with all the time they have been given.
Half the game so far and i am only about 2 hours in and i have fought lots of humans, i like the dynamic of Aliens fighting other bad troops but still WFT

fighting humans?
piece of shit confirmed.

MormaPope

Banned
I don't get why it's really challenging for developers to make a decent Aliens game, the movies are basically instruction videos on how to make one. The Alien Vs. Predator and Alien Vs. Predator 2 games were released more than a decade ago and they still are pinnacle examples on how to apply Alien tropes to a videogame.

VASPER

Banned
I'm very underwhelmed i really want to like this game but the lack of polish is killing it for me not to mention the shotgun feels like a pop gun. I will play until finish but i don't know what to say i hope it gets better the loader shit is dumb walks so lame and slow. I really am just disappointed in the fact the guns are not that visceral or fun to use, and alien blood does no damage. Sorry for my bad grammar :/

sakipon

That in the spoiler is not something I'd expect from a game like this. Probably not something I'd want, either... but will wait for more impressions.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
While I'd pass this as a single-player game I'll buy that for co-op with friend who refuses to fight against monsters only. Marketers know their stuff.

maaaay be. We have plenty of games to play and I don't want to support such focus-tested effort.

I'm very underwhelmed i really want to like this game but the lack of polish is killing it for me not to mention the shotgun feels like a pop gun. I will play until finish but i don't know what to say i hope it gets better the loader shit is dumb walks so lame and slow. I really am just disappointed in the fact the guns are not that visceral or fun to use, and alien blood does no damage.

ok, I'll pass this.

Id Software should have gotten the IP, wasn't DOOM going to original be an Aliens game or something... (yah i know DOOM3 but I'd trust them more than gearbox).

bangai-o

Banned
well i get that
fighting humans should be present, because just mowing down Xenomorphs
the whole game could get old quick. Unless of course the game is structured like Riddick: Butcher Bay, than there can be some tension, but I doubt Gearbox did that.

MormaPope

Banned
I'm very underwhelmed i really want to like this game but the lack of polish is killing it for me not to mention the shotgun feels like a pop gun. I will play until finish but i don't know what to say i hope it gets better the loader shit is dumb walks so lame and slow. I really am just disappointed in the fact the guns are not that visceral or fun to use, and alien blood does no damage.

You took one for the team at least, what you're saying was showing in past media for the game but your words will definitely shed some light.

MormaPope

Banned
well i get that
the whole game could get old quick. Unless of course the game is structured like Riddick: Butcher Bay, than there can be some tension, but I doubt Gearbox did that.

Design wise it should mimic Metroid Prime. You start out with a big squad, but the squad dwindles overtime due to alien attacks and you end up alone. You have to explore a huge abandoned facility and gather equipment to progress.

Along the way you get equipment that can access other areas and such. Have ammo and supplies be very scarce, have the enemy encounters be random. The developer should create new Alien designs and other organisms, have there be other organisms that the Aliens can hunt and lay eggs into.

well i get that
Still think they should have made this a survival horror in space, instead of arcade shooting aliens down. Would make fighting aliens less boring and more of a tactical challenge in terms of ammo conservation, which exits to weld closed, when to use turrets or not, when to go back to base and get ammo etc. God that is how I imagined the game would be like now I'm sad... dynamic space survival horror...... :(

And you have a huge interconnecting dynamic world map...

VASPER

Banned
well i get that

Yes i just wished that their are more aliens to fight and i mean like variety like different looking aliens with different ability, granted i have only played a few hours.

On side note I am going to play through the AVP game that Rebellion did a few years back and see how i feel about it after i finish the Marine campaign.

It depends on the design.

Which is what bangai-o basically said, too.

An Aliens game structured like Butcher Bay...that is a good idea, bangai.

Design wise it should mimic Metroid Prime. You start out with a big squad, but the squad dwindles overtime due to alien attacks and you end up alone. You have to explore a huge abandoned facility and gather equipment to progress.

Along the way you get equipment that can access other areas and such. Have ammo and supplies be very scarce, have the enemy encounters be random. The developer should create new Alien designs and other organisms, have there be other organisms that the Aliens can hunt and lay eggs into.

Wow. I'd play that all day.

bangai-o

Banned

I agree. Riddick somewhat uses the Metroidvania formula, but with alot more story and interacting with characters. I have only played a little bit of Dead Space, but from what I did play, the atmosphere seems perfect for an Alien game.

liquidfox00

Neo Member
Well. I'm a little bummed about these first impressions but I already have the game pre-loaded and ready to go so I guess it doesn't matter.

Still looking forward to playing it, from the early content I've watched it still looks interesting to me. Here's hoping.

I think they should have added a little strategy along with it being a fps. They could have included a little XCOM element where you can direct your squad mates where to go. This is with Wii U in mind, but the gamepad would display a partially revealed map that reveals itself as your squad explores. It would be like playing as Apone and Gorman at the same time!

That way it could setup where part of your squad is off somewhere and things are going to hell and you just hear the panic and hysteria through the radio coms.

Mlatador

Banned
I don't get why it's really challenging for developers to make a decent Aliens game, the movies are basically instruction videos on how to make one. The Alien Vs. Predator and Alien Vs. Predator 2 games were released more than a decade ago and they still are pinnacle examples on how to apply Alien tropes to a videogame.

You are right. It's definitely not the hardware that's holding developers down, that's for sure.

I really should stop looking forward to things. Sounds like another Silent Hill HD collection in my book.

Someone should probably just remake Alien Resurrection with better controls. At least that would be a great Alien horror game.

Alien Trilogy (PC/PS1) still the best confirme
Uh no, Alien Trilogy is actually kinda bad, especially the further in you get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrWztnA_Stw

It was alright for the time, sure, especially the beginning and the atmosphere.

AVP 2 is still the one to beat for campaign, AVP1 (Classic 2000) for MP.

So its a semi remake of that DS game Alien Infestation

same objective and same setting for first level
This makes sense given the DS version WAS Aliens Colonial Marines, but when the original game was taking so long, they just renamed it and dumped it out on DS since it was done for months, before the DS market dried up completely.

.....and alien blood does no damage.....

Only watched a bit of the ign gameplay walkthough but I was almost sure I saw acid blood splash onto the shotgun soldier and obscure vision/damage him. To be fair It should be a much bigger penalty but it seemed to be in the game to some degree.

Shame that the game seems to be mediocre in general though, is it known how long the game has truly been worked on?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Will get WiiU version on the cheap.

I've gone from day one on WiiU to might pick it up on PC during a Steam sale.

If it had have been released at the same time as the other console versions, I'd have been tempted.

O7qVWl6l.jpg

I am only about 2 hours in and i have fought lots of humans, i like the dynamic of Aliens fighting other bad troops but still WFT

No picture of you holding the game this time? Or was the "Quantum of Solace" experience bad enough?

;-)

liquidtmd

Banned
I echo the sentiments of a few: - they've done so much to ram moments, phrases and homages to the Aliens movie into a 'new' package that tbh I would have rather them, you know, made ALIENS: The Game. Based on the plot, characters and setting of the actual movie, maybe with some liberties taken in between and padded out.

I know many will say 'that wouldn't work for 'blah' reasons, licensing or not, but I'd rather them have done that than the homage we've got.

I'm a couple of hours in and underwhelmed. Standard shooter. Nice score and FX. WHERE has the development time gone??

I'm a couple of hours in and underwhelmed. Standard shooter. Nice score and FX. WHERE has the development time gone??

Well part of it was wasted on that trash known as Duke Nukem forever.

Fuck Randy Pitchford and his C-tier studio. This is why we can't have nice things.

You know I'm not one to hold grudges and constantly bitch about studios or games but seriously fuck Pitchford. He's been jerking around the fans of Aliens and Brothers in Arms for years now.

AJ_Wings

About that spoiler... yeah I think I'll pass.

This game had what 4-5 years worth of development, what have they been doing all this time?

Just got this for PS3. It said there is a patch. It downloaded 106MB and patch note said additional content. Now its installing, it took long time to install. If anyone has any question about the game, shoot.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Still no word on the launch date of WiiU version?

liquidtmd

Banned
Still no word on the launch date of WiiU version?

Unlikely as it might be and after all the pre-xmas smack talk about it being the definitive version, I honestly wouldnt be surprised at this stage if it were canned.

A fitting end to the release history and development process of this game probably.

Okay some notes, played for 10-15 minutes maybe:

-Install size is 2711
-106MB patch
-Graphics suck

I am not an Aliens fan btw. I like it, its ok but i am not a big fan of the brand or anything though i liked some of the older games. I didn't like the game and i will try it once more for coop (tried coop but couldnt find anybody to play with). The game is not good from what i've seen. Yes 10-15 minutes wouldnt do justice but bad is bad. You can see it in this case. Don't waste your money if you are not a fan of Aliens.

Top Bottom