• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

Raide

Terrible. And we still all act like Gearbox shits gold.

Borderlands yes, Aliens just seemed to drag on so long that is what never going to end up right. Kinda like Duke Nukem. This game had so much promise. I guess the PC version of the first AvP will have to remain the best Aliens game.

Bedlam

I guess the PC version of the first AvP will have to remain the best Aliens game.
Totally agreed (and yes, I prefer AVP1 over AVP2 ... better atmosphere and the Aliens were more menacing).

But I still have hope that some day some developer will figure out how to make a game worthy of the license.

Glass Rebel

Is there a reason why AVP2 isn't on Steam?

I am not 100% sure but it probably has something to do with the game using Lithtech. Monolith who made the engine is owned by Warner but Fox Interactive owns the rights to the game. It probably could be easily resolved but it's also not really worth it for any of the companies.

Moff

Honestly, anything better than the AvP games would have surprised me.

but Ill still pick this up on a steam sale, for love of the franchise

Nekofrog

Banned
Uh no, Alien Trilogy is actually kinda bad, especially the further in you get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrWztnA_Stw

It was alright for the time, sure, especially the beginning and the atmosphere.

AVP 2 is still the one to beat for campaign, AVP1 (Classic 2000) for MP.

I'm speaking of the Alien franchise by itself. Not AvP (different franchise).

For 1997-8, it replicated the Alien universe AMAZINGLY well. The sights, the sounds, everything. And that soundtrack. One of the best soundtracks of ALL time. ALL TIME.

Xater

Man I always knew this would end up being a disappointing shoot bang but I did not expect to also hear about so many technical issues. It's a UE3 game for christ's sake! There have been more than enough games that got it right by now.

jdl

Banned
Worked out great in Aliens: Infestation.

I found it to be the least engaging part of that game, and the same problem was found in the recent AvP. But that aside, putting random gun dudes in an Aliens game is failing to take advantage of it as a franchise.

Hystzen

holy crap i was joking before when said this seems be a semi remake of Alien infestation due to first level being the same with same objective but now go humans also which seem be same as that game. I expect the mission to blow up radar stations and guns soon

holy crap i was joking before when said this seems be a semi remake of Alien infestation due to first level being the same with same objective but now go humans also which seem be same as that game. I expect the mission to blow up radar stations and guns soon

Well Infestation was at one point called Colonial Marines and was going to release side by side with the console game.

Hystzen

Well Infestation was at one point called Colonial Marines and was going to release side by side with the console game.

ahh that makes sense then I thought this game was being lazy by recycling meh it got sale price over it at moment just hope with a game with Aliens in the title you know well fight more aliens

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
This looks so bad visually. Screen tearing, really bad aliasing and the explosions lol good god.

liger05

In 2 months they will offer the Wii U version telling us how using the gamepaid offers such a whole new experience. £49.99 please.

Jackl

I used to be the biggest Aliens nerd of all time through the 90s.

I can't explain how each Aliens cash-in game feels like a stake in my heart.

Here we go again.

bamboobimbo

Neo Member

Did you theories on the 'engineers' back then match up with what was explained in Prometheus? I only watched Alien for the first time in 2008 so I can't imagine how frustrating decades of unexplained information must have been.

I mean, I only had to wait 4 years for an answer...

I found it to be the least engaging part of that game, and the same problem was found in the recent AvP. But that aside, putting random gun dudes in an Aliens game is failing to take advantage of it as a franchise.

But humans are the true monsters of the Aliens movies. "You don't see them fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage," and whatnot. Humans as enemies seems like a natural choice in the games to me and quite fitting with the series.

I can't explain how each Aliens cash-in game feels like a stake in my heart.

Here we go again.

Seriously, play Infestation. Not perfect, but a pretty great game. Tense, and death actually matters. Really similar to Metroid with an Aliens skin.

Did you theories on the 'engineers' back then match up with what was explained in Prometheus? I only watched Alien for the first time in 2008 so I can't imagine how frustrating decades of unexplained information must have been.

I mean, I only had to wait 4 years for an answer...

The Space Jockey was the subject of tons of debate, and it was awesome as a "mystery box". Prometheus was one of the worst ways I could even think of being the source of that. Such a terrible, terrible thing. Ugh.

If this game somehow had the Konami Aliens arcade game included... then it might be worth it! I'm still picking up my collectors edition due to the figurine and all but damn... sad to see this game going out like this. Then considering it's been in development hell since 2008. Graphics being average along with everything else, it makes sense. In ways, it really is the next Duke Nukem Forever scenario. Just not as long.

Ugh...I have 2 preorders for CEs on PS3. You guys are making me wanna just not buy this game all together. Sucks, I was so excited for this game :(

EDIT: here is a unboxing of the CE if anyone is interested in it http://youtu.be/UDTGt52geYQ

Well at least I like that figure and included stuff. Nice. So I'm really paying for the figure, and the game is like a bonus lol :p Naw I really still want to play the game but it obvious there is issues.

Havoc2049

Looks worse than I expected. Who wants to shoot non-alien dudes in an Aliens game?

Like the awesome Aliens Infestation, seems like Aliens: Colonial Marines is based on the Aliens 3 movie that was scripted, but never made, where CCP soldiers (think futuristic cold war era Soviets) are fighting the Colonial Marines (US/NATO), along with their corporate/government backers for control of alien technology, so the military industrial complex can exploit it.

I actually applaud Gearbox/Sega for going this route. It would have been EASY to make an update of the single player Colonial Marine campaigns from the AVP games, sans Predators. We have already been there and done that though over the years on the Jaguar/PC and recently on the PC/PS3/X360. Kudos to Gearbox for expanding the universe and making a sequel to to the movie Aliens, that fans always wanted.

The Aliens 3 movie was good in its own way, but 20th Century Fox really fucked up the Aliens universe in Aliens 3 by killing off Newt and Hicks. I'm glad Gearbox is going in the Darkhorse direction, which is a much better universe than the one created by 20th Century Fox. Maybe if we're lucky, we'll see the Aliens: Outbreak trilogy made into a game. Now that would be awesome! I hope Aliens: Colonial Marines is good and does well and I'm looking forward to it. Soooo much undue negativity and criticism here, IMO.

. Soooo much undue negativity and criticism here, IMO.

Well people have been waiting a long time for this. Though on the other end, how could anyone following it this long, NOT expect it to have issues. It's been in dev hell. The fact it even released is miracle if you ask me. Plus the issues it does have from seeing the videos, people just have a much harder time tolerating, let alone paying 60 dollars for. The game should have probably been released at 40 dollars. I'm still getting it, plan on playing it, and enjoying it for the atmosphere alone. Though I can almost bet. These collectors editions of these will stick around. Dropped in price to $20 dollars along with the main standard game. If your not a huge Aliens fan, it's best to wait it seems for the price drop for sure. I've been waiting so long, I'm a huge Aliens fan, and it's my birthday on the 12th. So fuck it. I'm in! I know I'll have fun with it. I usually can look past a games tech issues as long as I have fun, tech issues don't kill me, delete my save or impede progress, and I'm easy to please apparently.

The Space Jockey was the subject of tons of debate, and it was awesome as a "mystery box". Prometheus was one of the worst ways I could even think of being the source of that. Such a terrible, terrible thing. Ugh.

Fully agreed. The mystery around the jockeys was so fun. The idea of a lost and warring civilization that brought ruin onto itself was exciting.
And then Ridley Scott decided on Space Jesus...

Top Bottom