• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Alien enemies barely react to impact =/

Yea, I forgot to mention how much this 'bugs' me too. Aliens are Pulse Rifle bullet sponges, but usually die in a single blast from a Shotgun. The only indicator your doing damage is they get covered in acid blood, and eventually loose a limb or blow up when they die.

The shooting in the game is pretty unsatisfying minus the shotgun.

jdl

Banned
Like the awesome Aliens Infestation, seems like Aliens: Colonial Marines is based on the Aliens 3 movie that was scripted, but never made, where CCP soldiers (think futuristic cold war era Soviets) are fighting the Colonial Marines (US/NATO), along with their corporate/government backers for control of alien technology, so the military industrial complex can exploit it.

I actually applaud Gearbox/Sega for going this route. It would have been EASY to make an update of the single player Colonial Marine campaigns from the AVP games, sans Predators. We have already been there and done that though over the years on the Jaguar/PC and recently on the PC/PS3/X360. Kudos to Gearbox for expanding the universe and making a sequel to to the movie Aliens, that fans always wanted.

There's other and better ways of expanding the universe then adding bad dudes with guns.

To explain to you guys how much Gearbox was going for the COD audience with this one...

My pulse rifle has a red dot sight and a sliencer with Red camo.

My shotgun has an long barrel with gold camo.

Quite ironic after acting high & mighty about refusing an offer to make a COD.

FINALBOSS

Banned
This dude likes it. It looks good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R8rek4WU1s

Also, why are people disapointed that they are shooting people and that there is too much military atmosphere to the game. This game is based on the original screenplay of Aliens 3, which was supposed to be a direct sequel to Aliens. The game is called Aliens: COLONIAL MARINES after all! Gearbox/Sega never intended this to be a slow paced survival horror game, ala Alien/Alien 3 (movie) or the 'lone marine' single player campaigns in AVP. People are bitching about stuff the creator never intended the game to be in the first place.

He never said he liked the game.

He said it looks nice.

Whats this about shooting other humans? Is that just thrown in there for a tiny bit of variety? Or is it a big chunk of the game?

I didn't ask for this.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm appalled that the OT was changed.

I've watched several videos, including the ending and it's a train wreck.
I love the credit given to me even though all that info was from wiki. :) Still i guess some bare bones info is good, some people wouldn't know much about the game.

Still on the fence about this, funnily enough - I don't want to just throw my money at em because it has Aliens name and sound effects. It sounds horribly mediocre, and I was burned by the terrible 2010 game.

MRORANGE

I love the credit given to me even though all that info was from wiki. :) Still i guess some bare bones info is good, some people wouldn't know much about the game.

Still on the fence about this, funnily enough - I don't want to just throw my money at em because it has Aliens name and sound effects. It sounds horribly mediocre, and I was burned by the terrible 2010 game.

Looking at the videos I honestly think the 2010 version is better than this one.

Had no idea Gearbox collaborated with other studios for this game.

I'll still hold my judgment until after reviews or when I play the game myself. I'm still excited...but cautiously optimistic.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I guess the previews were right in saying this is done by gearbox who did duke forever n not borderlands ( quality wise )

Ollie Pooch

I'm out based on the campaign stuff I've seen. Might pick up super cheap later for some multi which could be fun with a mate.
That ending video I watched just before was cringeworthy (and nonsensical!) trash.

Waaghals

Gearbox only kicked the stuff 3DRealms had already made out the door. DNF was crap, but not due to gearbox.

It does not look good for Aliens though.

Tedesco!

You are correct.

In all of my years following FOX's bizarre Alien 3 production cycle, I never once remember hearing about such a direct sequel to ALIENS as is this CM game.
Hell, I recall Cameron saying in his mind Ripley, Hicks, & Newt go off to live happily ever after.

Paging Skullibundo for confirmation!

I remember reading something where they had offered JC the sequel and he said no.

Ollie Pooch

I don't get it? I know this was a cancelled PS2 game, but didn't they start over? This can't be a DNF situation.
I get the impression they started on something else far more interesting - a darker, more atmospheric tactical/squad based siege shooter, and at some point the higher ups said 'make it more story, dialog, QTE, perk and XP driven' (ie. 'copy Call of Duty') and that original concept got canned and we got this. Seriously, that ending video would tell you all you need to know about the angle for this game. Though I won't elaborate for obvious reasons :p

Alchemy

I get the impression they started on something else far more interesting - a darker, more atmospheric tactical/squad based siege shooter, and at some point the higher ups said 'make it more story, dialog, QTE, perk and XP driven' (ie. 'copy Call of Duty') and that original concept got canned and we got this. Seriously, that ending video would tell you all you need to know about the angle for this game. Though I won't elaborate for obvious reasons :p

So this is basically CoD with Aliens? Skipping.

Yeah, that could be it. I remember that old GI article. I don't have it anymore, but I could've sworn I read that Gearbox was focusing on a tactical based shooter with great action.

Hope they didn't scrap what could've been a amazing game and just outsourced it for the changes. Could that really be the reason for such a long delay?

Ollie Pooch

So this is basically CoD with Aliens? Skipping.
Oh, nah don't take me as any authority on the game - I haven't even played it! I was talking about the angle presented in preview videos and walkthroughs I've watched on Youtube. They differ a lot from the original concept presented of the game. Very scripted, very QTE-driven. I just snuck a look at the endgame video cos someone else mentioned it. Probably shouldn't have.

I'll keep my mouth shut on it now, because I think it's needlessly negative and I know a lot of people are looking forward to it and will enjoy it.
Hope they didn't scrap what could've been a amazing game and just outsourced it for the changes. Could that really be the reason for such a long delay?
Pretty sure this is it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Can someone briefly explain the negativity to me?

I haven't been following the development but I was under the impression people liked Gearbox here...

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get it? I know this was a cancelled PS2 game, but didn't they start over? This can't be a DNF situation.

my point was it feels like this was done by the team that released duke not the team that released borderlands.

antitrop

I did NOT like the 2010 AvP game, but the Marine campaign was decent. If that was the entire game I would say it would actually be pretty good. But the Alien and Predator (especially the Predator) parts brought the overall package down.

It would hardly surprise me at all if the Marine campaign from 2010 is better than all of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

ZoddGutts

Oh well at least there's that Alien game that Creative Assembly (Total War team) is making. At least that's guaranteed to be good.

VASPER

Banned
Can someone briefly explain the negativity to me?

I haven't been following the development but I was under the impression people liked Gearbox here...

Ok so after killing 30-40 aliens in one of the most under polished games i have ever seen you have to fight PMC dudes and they are terrible and not fun to fight against (shitty AI always have the drop on you and are just annoying). Now when i say unpolished i mean shitty voice acting a shit ton of clipping by NPCs and this game looks like it was out a year after the 360 was first on the market. I was playing this morning and one of the NPC just walked through a wall as i had to walk around it to follow, this game reminds me of MOH from last year, while not a bad game its underwhelming. Gearbox does good work, all the Brothers in arms games were fun and i love Borderlands but this is just not fun. Oh yeah and on normal i haven't taken any acid blood damage WTF?

I just played the opening hour of AVP 2010 out of nostalgia and its honestly great. Better than i remember to be honest. The Aliens at least react properly to being shot and have jsut the right amount of bullet spongey-ness. Im gonna stick my neck out and say AVP 2010 is a better game than CM :(

Jackpot

Banned
I just played the opening hour of AVP 2010 out of nostalgia and its honestly great. Better than i remember to be honest. The Aliens at least react properly to being shot and have jsut the right amount of bullet spongey-ness. Im gonna stick my neck out and say AVP 2010 is a better game than CM :(

I'm doing the same and the PC version sucks. Serious random framerate drag, DX11 errors, mandatory mouse acceleration and stuttering player movement.

jdl

Banned

I actually really enjoyed the multiplayer on AVP. The campaign was a total clunkfest though.

I'm doing the same and the PC version sucks. Serious random framerate drag, DX11 errors, mandatory mouse acceleration and stuttering player movement.

Wasn't the PC version a big resource hog/surprisingly expanded version of the game graphically? I just remember seeing it on the benchmark sites for years and being surprised considering I played the sinfully ugly 360 version.

Wasn't the PC version a big resource hog/surprisingly expanded version of the game graphically? I just remember seeing it on the benchmark sites for years and being surprised considering I played the sinfully ugly 360 version.

Hell yeah. Quite a number of tech sites like HardOCP used it as part of their DX11 test suite until better games out that pushed DX 11 better.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ok so after killing 30-40 aliens in one of the most under polished games i have ever seen you have to fight PMC dudes and they are terrible and not fun to fight against (shitty AI always have the drop on you and are just annoying). Now when i say unpolished i mean shitty voice acting a shit ton of clipping by NPCs and this game looks like it was out a year after the 360 was first on the market. I was playing this morning and one of the NPC just walked through a wall as i had to walk around it to follow, this game reminds me of MOH from last year, while not a bad game its underwhelming. Gearbox does good work, all the Brothers in arms games were fun and i love Borderlands but this is just not fun. Oh yeah and on normal i haven't taken any acid blood damage WTF?
Is the game out yet?

Mlatador

Banned
The Space Jockey was the subject of tons of debate, and it was awesome as a "mystery box". Prometheus was one of the worst ways I could even think of being the source of that. Such a terrible, terrible thing. Ugh.

I like new Ideas Prometheus has brought to the Alien Universe. It didn't explain everything about the Space Jockeys, which I think is awesome because that way I keeps some of it's former mystery intact, and yet let me know more about the creature. That "more" to me is very intersting. It is much better than what I would have thought of when I was younger.
It would have been wrong to explain such a mysterious figure in a "simple" way any average joe could get (basically just make it some sort of alien-soldier with very simple motivations), so I don't get why people are complaining. Just like the first "Jokey" the engineers make you "think" and "speculate", stimulate your immagination. Much is still unknown: Did they invent the "black goo"? Or did they get it from somewhere? (maybe from their god?). What if they are the equvalent of "prometheus" and stole the "fire" (=black goo) from the gods (maybe "their god"?) and got punished for that? And so on.

Prometheus the myth and Prometheus the movie are nicely tied together and fit very well into the whole Aliens Universe. It doesn't connect directly to the first movie, but is still functions as a part of an origin story.

I played it for an hour - this site of the pond (the Netherlands) has seen the game hit the shelves yesterday. As long time fan of the movies (love first four, I consider resurrection better than Prometheus, but let's not go there). This game is a big let done. Definitely not worth the price of admittance. At first when the developer/studio bumpers appear I still had a spark of hope: the gearbox bumper is like the fox one in Prometheus which is cool.But then when the game starts you just get what? Capitalized Arial for your titles? How hard could it be to have done that fading lines effects from Aliens? At least show us you put a little effort in there.

I like the motion tracker - you can switch between it and your gun quick smooth and easy via your left bumper (xbox360 that is). The pulse rifle sounds about right. And up to your first encounter with the xenomorph the game (although looking rather outdated) shows some potential. But after that first encounter it all goes downhill fast.

Gearbox and Sega suck for putting this out as is - the product is sub par and again not worth 50 bucks or more. It is not as poor as say King Kong, but it definitely ain't no Dead Space (original i mean) either. And I feel gearbox should have at least aimed for somewhere in that range. But hey that's just me.

When I pulled the trigger on this game for $35 I knew I was going to regret it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Having come to terms with this, I'm hoping I can get some enjoyment riding on nostalgia and franchise-based sentimentality.

antitrop

When I pulled the trigger on this game for $35 I knew I was going to regret it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Having come to terms with this, I'm hoping I can get some enjoyment riding on nostalgia and franchise-based sentimentality.
The Pulse Rifle sound effect is really good.

Like the awesome Aliens Infestation, seems like Aliens: Colonial Marines is based on the Aliens 3 movie that was scripted, but never made, where CCP soldiers (think futuristic cold war era Soviets) are fighting the Colonial Marines (US/NATO), along with their corporate/government backers for control of alien technology, so the military industrial complex can exploit it.

I actually applaud Gearbox/Sega for going this route. It would have been EASY to make an update of the single player Colonial Marine campaigns from the AVP games, sans Predators. We have already been there and done that though over the years on the Jaguar/PC and recently on the PC/PS3/X360. Kudos to Gearbox for expanding the universe and making a sequel to to the movie Aliens, that fans always wanted.

The Aliens 3 movie was good in its own way, but 20th Century Fox really fucked up the Aliens universe in Aliens 3 by killing off Newt and Hicks. I'm glad Gearbox is going in the Darkhorse direction, which is a much better universe than the one created by 20th Century Fox. Maybe if we're lucky, we'll see the Aliens: Outbreak trilogy made into a game. Now that would be awesome! I hope Aliens: Colonial Marines is good and does well and I'm looking forward to it. Soooo much undue negativity and criticism here, IMO.

You see, this sounds interesting...

Top Bottom