• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

OrigiNull

Its not looking like this is going to be a "great" game but I'm seeing some significant preorder discounts for PC ($30) and wondering if it might still be worth it......

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man. All these impressions and the videos and stuff ..

I think it might be a safer (and better) idea for me to just replay the Human campaign in that 2010 AvP game, which was quite good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They played the PC Version on the IGN Stream. It looked terrible.
Does it really? I looked at some footage and, while certainly not amazing, I wouldn't say it looks terrible. I think it'll look just fine running at 60 fps with good image quality.

Havoc2049

Oh pleeease expand on your definition of "undue". People are playing the game and not liking it. How could that *possibly* be "undue" criticism?

This dude likes it. It looks good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R8rek4WU1s

Also, why are people disapointed that they are shooting people and that there is too much military atmosphere to the game. This game is based on the original screenplay of Aliens 3, which was supposed to be a direct sequel to Aliens. The game is called Aliens: COLONIAL MARINES after all! Gearbox/Sega never intended this to be a slow paced survival horror game, ala Alien/Alien 3 (movie) or the 'lone marine' single player campaigns in AVP. People are bitching about stuff the creator never intended the game to be in the first place.

Also, why are people disapointed that they are shooting people and that there is too much military atmosphere to the game. This game is based on the original screenplay of Aliens 3, which was supposed to be a direct sequel to Aliens. The game is called Aliens: COLONIAL MARINES after all! Gearbox/Sega never intended this to be a slow paced survival horror game, ala Alien/Alien 3 (movie) or the 'lone marine' single player campaigns in AVP. People are bitching about stuff the creator never intended the game to be in the first place.

Look not going to lie. GAF is known for this. Try not to let it bother you. Anything that reeks of lacking in quality in areas, get's the shit beat out of it. Hell even games that have huge production values like Dead Space 3 recently, get some of the same treatment. It just happens. I'm one of the people around these parts that enjoy games even with their issues, but I still discuss them. I can clearly see the game is dated, but still excited to play, and I know it probably won't blow me away, I don't expect it to. I just know I want to partake in this sequel to Aliens and kill some Xenomorphs. Simple as that. Some would say I'm settling for less. I say, I get what I get. I'd rather play it and make my own thoughts then not at all.

OrigiNull

I feel like the proximity to Dead Space 3 is going to be either a blessing or a curse for it. I bet Polygon will give it a terrible rating but IGN and Giantbombs reviews will be higher than expected.

Nemesis_

Look not going to lie. GAF is known for this. Try not to let it bother you. Anything that reeks of lacking in quality in areas, get's the shit beat out of it. Hell even games that have huge production values like Dead Space 3 recently, get some of the same treatment. It just happens. I'm one of the people around these parts that enjoy games even with their issues, but I still discuss them. I can clearly see the game is dated, but still excited to play, and I know it probably won't blow me away, I don't expect it to. I just know I want to partake in this sequel to Aliens and kill some Xenomorphs. Simple as that.

Mmhmm. Although I was the same with Dead Space 3 until I actually played it, now I really love it.

Mmhmm. Although I was the same with Dead Space 3 until I actually played it, now I really love it.

Well glad to see your liking it (DS3). I love it for both co-op and singleplayer. I wouldn't expect the same for Aliens though. Just from what I've seen and heard.

Nemesis_

Well glad to see your liking it (DS3). I love it for both co-op and singleplayer. I wouldn't expect the same for Aliens though. Just from what I've seen and heard.

Oh, RIP.

I honestly haven't been following a lot of stuff pre-release though, I'm stepping in this thread now and again to read impressions but they aren't looking good.

But I'm such a sucker for the Xenomorph universe ;_;

Oh, RIP.

I honestly haven't been following a lot of stuff pre-release though, I'm stepping in this thread now and again to read impressions but they aren't looking good.

But I'm such a sucker for the Xenomorph universe ;_;

Well you know I'm fairly forgiving when it comes to gaming. All I can tell so far is. V-synch issues out the ass. Typical shooting segments, surrounded in Aliens settings and atmosphere with stilted animated and dated graphics. If you can look past that for a sequel to Aliens game, then you might be alright. Adjust expectations accordingly.

Wha? All the screenplays I've ready about for Aliens 3 indicates a story where the main character is isolated and helpless with other survivors. I think the first rough screenplay was Ripley stuck on a wooden planet with a bunch of priests and a xeno.

OrigiNull

Look not going to lie. GAF is known for this. Try not to let it bother you. Anything that reeks of lacking in quality in areas, get's the shit beat out of it. Hell even games that have huge production values like Dead Space 3 recently, get some of the same treatment. It just happens. I'm one of the people around these parts that enjoy games even with their issues, but I still discuss them. I can clearly see the game is dated, but still excited to play, and I know it probably won't blow me away, I don't expect it to. I just know I want to partake in this sequel to Aliens and kill some Xenomorphs. Simple as that. Some would say I'm settling for less. I say, I get what I get. I'd rather play it and make my own thoughts then not at all.

Well put. I pulled the trigger on the $30 PC deal and am going to marathon some movies this weekend in prep :)

Toxa

now mine

701995DSC0291.jpg

864251DSC0292.jpg

Wha? All the screenplays I've ready about for Aliens 3 indicates a story where the main character is isolated and helpless with other survivors. I think the first rough screenplay was Ripley stuck on a wooden planet with a bunch of priests and a xeno.

You are correct.

In all of my years following FOX's bizarre Alien 3 production cycle, I never once remember hearing about such a direct sequel to ALIENS as is this CM game.
Hell, I recall Cameron saying in his mind Ripley, Hicks, & Newt go off to live happily ever after.

Paging Skullibundo for confirmation!

After scanning the Internet and user reviews, this game does sound like it has major issues. Makes me glad I didn't pre-order.

Leopold

Xbox 360 version looks really bad: sound skipping in cutscenes, poor textures, atrocious UI. Playing this after Halo 4 (heck, even 3) is quite painful. But I've barely touched the game and maybe it is fun despite being ugly.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
To explain to you guys how much Gearbox was going for the COD audience with this one...

My pulse rifle has a red dot sight and a sliencer with Red camo.

My shotgun has an long barrel with gold camo.

The more I see about this the lower goes my Steam Sale Impulse Purchase Price (SSIPP™). I don't know what made me look forward to a licensed console SEGA game...

SpaceHorror

I'm very underwhelmed i really want to like this game but the lack of polish is killing it for me not to mention the shotgun feels like a pop gun. I will play until finish but i don't know what to say i hope it gets better the loader shit is dumb walks so lame and slow. I really am just disappointed in the fact the guns are not that visceral or fun to use, and alien blood does no damage. Sorry for my bad grammar :/

But uh, it was doing damage in the IGN stream.

MormaPope

Banned
To explain to you guys how much Gearbox was going for the COD audience with this one...

My pulse rifle has a red dot sight and a sliencer with Red camo.

My shotgun has an long barrel with gold camo.

Gearbox is shameless when it comes to IP's they haven't created themselves I guess, a really shitty attitude to have.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Any decent PC impressions? Seems like a lot of the issues people are having (graphically anyway) shouldn't be an issue on PC.

KU_

Had high hopes for this. However after reading some hands on, I may just wait to pick up the Wii U version when it drops in price.

Top Bottom