• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Ghazi

We only got 2 interwebs here in my Milwaukee suburb, AT&T Uverse or Time Warner. :(

I play on 4 on pretty much all the Halos.

I used to play 3/4 in all my games, in my attempt to stop getting killed from behind so easily I notched up the sensitivity and that's where I'm at now.

That's lame, down at Tennessee I had the options of Charter, Comcast, AT&T, and some other company whose billboard I drive by everyday but I can't remember their name.

Sorry, I completely missed this.

Player count per episode
Average group size
Matchmaking numbers vs Private Numbers
Average Deaths per episode
Total kill counts

Anything you guys are tracking that's worth reading I suppose.

You could get the number of episodes played and possibly work out how many times Palmer would have said eggheads. That'd be pretty funny if tied to an infographic about how many chickens 343 would need for so many eggs.

HTupolev

Man... the frame drops in CE: A just make me so sad :( I know it's probably the most unlikely thing ever, but I really hope that some time in the future I can play that game at 60fps and with some AA, because aside from that the game is absolutely gorgeous, and pretty much perfection. I feel compelled to play it all the time, as it's still my favourite Halo campaign. There's no direct, level-by-level progression like this in any other Halo game, imo:
I always get a little confused when people complain about big framerate drops in CEA.

I'm not saying I'm in love with how CEA feels; Anniversary Mode feels like it's adding a bit of input lag, and when the framerate does see a stutter, it's the most disgusting-looking/feeling stutter I've ever been witness to. But it doesn't actually drop that many frames for me. It certainly doesn't see anything resembling the spikes that occur in the original game (for some reason people often claim that only the 360 emulated version sees framerate spikes; this is simply not true). In fact, I would suspect that even with CEA sometimes stuttering for lengthy periods of time, over the course of a campaign playthrough it probably tends to see fewer dropped frames than the original game.

(Halo 1 native still manages to feel better overall though IMO, for a number of reasons. Especially if a CRT is involved. Playing CEA makes me want to turn my oXbox on.)

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Sorry, I completely missed this.

Player count per episode
Average group size
Matchmaking numbers vs Private Numbers
Average Deaths per episode
Total kill counts

Anything you guys are tracking that's worth reading I suppose.

That's a good idea. I'll chat with Jessica this week about adding something like this to a future Bulletin.

Off the too of my head I can answer one of those. The split between custom and matchmaking was 3:1 last I saw. And that split actually went up as the season went on. Since the matchmaking numbers similarly went up as we went along, players seem to have formed consistent groups of friends to play with weekly. Which is actually what we had hoped to see happen.

players seem to have formed consistent groups of friends to play with weekly. Which is actually what we had hoped to see happen.

This is what I did, Sadly with people working weekends (our set play dates) We have not even started Part 2 of the season. I'm hearing great thing's and iv played a few missions of episode 6 and the it all seemed good.

Side note
That little section at the start of Episode 6 Mission 1 were the player is bound and in first person felt like a moment straight out of campaign and it was great.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Side note
That little section at the start of Episode 6 Mission 1 were the player is bound and in first person felt like a moment straight out of campaign and it was great.

Our vignettes team did a great job with that. We definitely felt it was important for players and their (Crimson) squad to be visible as we kicked off the second part of the season. With more time we would have found more ways to do that sort of thing this season.

Our vignettes team did a great job with that. We definitely felt it was important for players and their (Crimson) squad to be visible as we kicked off the second part of the season. With more time we would have found more ways to do that sort of thing this season.

Stuff like this has been really awesome and really helped out season 1.5 IMO. If a season 2 happens it is something I would like to see a lot more of.

This week will be the finale of SpOps, right? Is there going to be an additional episode or epilogue?

I hope so. Its gonna be weird if it just sort of ends.

Always season 2 Right... Right?

yeah i get it you can't say.

Anyone from what iv played id welcome more content. Hopefully with some more time and experience under the belt you can push season 2 further.

I still have hope that Spartan Ops could be utilized as a way to deliver side stories from the greater Halo universe to players. ODST excursions, Delve into the history of Noble team things like that.

I understand everything is front and center on pushing the New Trilogy forward currently but still the Halo Universe is rich and eventful. ODST showed side stories work very well. And that infinity holodeck could be used for much more than just war games if you needed to justify it from a Canon point of view.

Toa TAK

Banned
This week will be the finale of SpOps, right? Is there going to be an additional episode or epilogue?

I hope so. Maybe it'll end on a cliffhanger again.

I still have hope that Spartan Ops could be utilized as a way to deliver side stories from the greater Halo universe to players. ODST excursions, Delve into the history of Noble team things like that.

I would be all up for this. If it makes up for their poor characterizations in Reach.

Caja 117

While the DMR is too easy to use, the alternative has random spread and the slowest kill time of any precision rifle in the series. The H4 BR has no place in competitive Halo.

Halo 3 BR wants to have a word with you. Halo 4 BR is as good maybe even better than Halo 3 BR used in the MLG playlist and way better than the bloomed DMR used in the Halo Reach MLG playlist. So, yeah, Halo 4 BR has a place in competitive Halo, most people dont want it because they like to shoot with the DMR from their base and camp the whole game, just like it happened in MLG halo Reach.

Yeah, honestly, I would like to control a little more of a real character in Spartan Ops. I still am not a huge fan of the disconnect between the CG and gameplay, though it has gotten better. Still, it would have been cool to play missions with AI Spartans that are actual characters with personalities.

Moa

I was messing with some URLs on Waypoint a while back, this one specifically https://assets.halowaypoint.com/games/h4/spartanops/v1/large/s1e08.png.

I change it to s1e09, and bam,
Librarian
, I changed it to s1e10 before the Episode 10 trailer came out, and it was a placeholder image, after Episode 10's trailer released, it changed to this:

https://assets.halowaypoint.com/games/h4/spartanops/v1/large/s1e10.png

I tried changing it to s1e11, expecting an error page, but I found another placeholder image, the same one Episode 10 had.

https://assets.halowaypoint.com/games/h4/spartanops/v1/large/s1e11.png

I'm probably remembering wrong, but I think David Ellis hinted at some sort of epilogue happening, this supports it a little.
EDIT: Should be worth noting:

https://assets.halowaypoint.com/games/h4/spartanops/v1/large/s1e12.png
That redirects to an error page.

Mix

so... That Destiny. I have a friend that works at a local gamestop (no, I'm not talking about you, Newman) and He might be getting me a couple of Destiny Lanyards. Maybe a little contest?

I was messing with some URLs on Waypoint a while back, this one specifically https://assets.halowaypoint.com/games/h4/spartanops/v1/large/s1e08.png.

I change it to s1e09, and bam, Librarian, I changed it to s1e10 before the Episode 10 trailer came out, and it was a placeholder image, after Episode 10's trailer released, it changed to this:

I tried changing it to s1e11, expecting an error page, but I found another placeholder image, the same one Episode 10 had.

I'm probably remembering wrong, but I think David Ellis hinted at some sort of epilogue happening, this supports it a little.

Holy shit spoiler

so... That Destiny. I have a friend that works at a local gamestop (no, I'm not talking about you, Newman) and He might be getting me a couple of Destiny Lanyards. Maybe a little contest?

foreign countries would participate? *wink wink*

Mayyhem

Recently been playing 3v3 or 4v4 customs in Halo 4 with some friends recently and it's probably been the most fun I've had on the game since launch (completely stripping all the default settings of the game of course). However, we've grown bored of the current maps and a handful of forge maps I downloaded.

Anybody know where I can download some nice smaller team slayer forge maps for H4?

I change it to s1e09, and bam,
Librarian
, I changed it to s1e10 before the Episode 10 trailer came out, and it was a placeholder image, after Episode 10's trailer released, it changed to this:

https://assets.halowaypoint.com/games/h4/spartanops/v1/large/s1e10.png

Its also worth nothing that changing it to s1e12 brings up an error page.. so there may be a finale video!

Contest you say?

tumblr_mg9sw0bIbD1rv7cdvo1_400.gif

The Game Is Afoot

Mix

Okay, If we do this then the contest will be easy, but may or may not be gaming related. Only one question, and only one winner.

RULES:
Open to US only (sorry guys :/)
ONLY ONE WINNER
Obviously must be willing to give me your address (picture of you and your living room optional)
Must be the first one to answer the question

Okay guys that's it :) the contest will be at or around 10am PST. Most likely after, what with Destiny being revealed and what not :)

Toa TAK

Banned
Okay, If we do this then the contest will be easy, but may or may not be gaming related. Only one question, and only one winner.

RULES:
Open to US only (sorry guys :/)
ONLY ONE WINNER
Obviously must be willing to give me your address (picture of you and your living room optional)
Must be the first one to answer the question

Okay guys that's it :) the contest will be at or around 10am PST. Most likely after, what with Destiny being revealed and what not :)
My keyboard is ready.

I just realized something. Given that certain Forerunner buttons will react very explosively or otherwise badly if a non-Reclaimer touches them, did they account for wildlife? It's rejected Elites and Prophets so far and Elites weren't around during the first feud.

What the fuck happens if one of those Delta Halo quad-winged birds tries taking a dump on a hardlight button or making a nest on it or something?

How do we know the Forerunners haven't lost a few shield worlds because of stray space pigeons shitting up the matrix?

Toa TAK

Banned
I just realized something. Given that certain Forerunner buttons will react very explosively or otherwise badly if a non-Reclaimer touches them, did they account for wildlife? It's rejected Elites and Prophets so far and Elites weren't around during the first feud.

What the fuck happens if one of those Delta Halo quad-winged birds tries taking a dump on a hardlight button or making a nest on it or something?

How do we know the Forerunners haven't lost a few shield worlds because of stray space pigeons shitting up the matrix?

I would assume that the Forerunners took into account the wildlife inhabiting their Halos, Shieldworlds, and the like.

I mean, that would be pretty dumb of a really intelligent species, right?

I would assume that the Forerunners took into account the wildlife inhabiting their Halos, Shieldworlds, and the like.

Has massive shield world which could house millions of Forerunners and save them from the Halo array.

Only save 1 Forerunner.
Who was a fuckwad.
And imprison him there.

Moa

Hey, I know there is a Covenant cult leader outside and he wants what I'm about to give you, but here, take the Janus key, a key that allows you to see all the Forerunner tech in the universe and go back to him!

Possible Spops spoilers ^

Smart Forerunners indeed.

HTupolev

"Sir, we've got some bugs in our user verification program."

Toa TAK

Banned
But of course:
Hey, I know there is a Covenant cult leader outside and he wants what I'm about to give you, but here, take the Janus key, a key that allows you to see all the Forerunner tech in the universe and go back to him!

Has massive shield world which could house millions of Forerunners and save them from the Halo array.

Only save 1 Forerunner.
Who was a fuckwad.
And imprison him there.

I guess keeping the Flood alive for "testing" on other Halos and shield worlds was also a bad idea, too?

She has anticipated every occurrences to account Master Chief, Cortana, and Hasley within a Millennia to meet her in Requiem. There's meaning as to why she chosed what she had done to help humanity Reclaim what rightfully belongs to them... The Mantle.

I guess keeping the Flood alive for "testing" on other Halos and shield worlds was also a bad idea, too?

Well historically, keeping the Flood around has led to some pretty shitty situations.

Halo CE: Covenant discover flood, massive outbreak, entire Covenant armada and the entirely of the Pillar of Autumn crew DEAD.

Installation 05: Outbreak. Gravemind forms, flood overwhelm both human and covenant. Flood commandeer UNSC frigate, and several covy cruisers. UNSC frigate crashes into High Charity, further propagating the flood infection.

Earth: Flood infected Covenant ship that was a result of the outbreak at Installation 05 crash lands into Earth. Allied Elites have to glass large portion of Africa.

Ark: Flood infected High Charity crashes there, infection spreads even more.

So yeah, I would say keeping the flood around was pretty fucking stupid. With 5 more Halo rings still out there, I wonder what else could possibly go wrong.

Well historically, keeping the Flood around has led to some pretty shitty situations.

Halo CE: Covenant discover flood, massive outbreak, entire Covenant armada and the entirely of the Pillar of Autumn crew DEAD.

Installation 05: Outbreak. Gravemind forms, flood overwhelm both human and covenant. Flood commandeer UNSC frigate, and several covy cruisers. UNSC frigate crashes into High Charity, further propagating the flood infection.

Earth: Flood infected Covenant ship that was a result of the outbreak at Installation 05 crash lands into Earth. Allied Elites have to glass large portion of Africa.

So yeah, I would say keeping the flood around was pretty fucking stupid. With 5 more Halo rings still out there, I wonder what else could possibly go wrong.
Activate Halos. Wipe the Galaxy. Cleanse Life. Reset Life by Repopulating worlds. Alternatives: Shield Worlds preserve life forms away from the Array and preserve hidden arsenals within them.

Its a brutal cycle. They did what they could to catalog the infected to acquire a cure. Left monitors as caretakers. If an installation is overrun, destroyed, premature firing, failsafes trigger other Halos, Shield Worlds, Arks to prepare the next scenario(s) to occur within the cycle.

Hold on! The Forerunner weren't sure if there were more Flood outside the galaxy, and their Halos only accounted for the Milky Way. The point of keeping the Flood around on the Halo rings was to research them and try to find the cure after they were wiped away from the Halo firings. Same idea as the CDC.

Toa TAK

Banned

*Gravemindpoem*

I think 343i should explore that, honestly.

But yeah. I wonder if there are any more Graveminds out there.

blamite

Wasn't it revealed that there is NO cure?

In Primordium,
we find out that ancient humans didn't find a cure as the Forerunners had though, but the Flood simply chose to stop infecting them. It could still theoretically be possible that there's an actual cure of some kind, but there's been no indication that anyone ever has fund it, or ever will.

Toa TAK

Banned
In Primordium,
we find out that ancient humans didn't find a cure as the Forerunners had though, but the Flood simply chose to stop infecting them. It could still theoretically be possible that there's an actual cure of some kind, but there's been no indication that anyone ever has fund it, or ever will.

Next Halo sequel right there.

Make it happen 343i.

Top Bottom