• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Spoiler Thread: Putting on our Makeup

mAcOdIn

Paradox !! And this was just a design decision to prevent abuse ( of item gathering )
No. See. This is silly. I am saying that, Square can not have their cake and eat it too, you say above they can't get items again because that'd be a cheap duping method so they made the design choice to do away with it, ok, but also some quests remain finished as well, mostly. I can go to New Bodhum 700 AF or whatever the last time is and get the Ark artifact over and over and over again, in Acedemia 4XX AF I can had over 5 Graviton cores over and over and over, all with no change in my inventory because that's what the teams on those places did, or those specific areas of those locations but in Academia 400 AF I can not do the Miss Horizon quests again despite this seemingly being our heroes first time, or them re-living it for the first time. Square's intent and execution do not match up which breaks both. Their canon explanation makes no sense nor does the item duping one make sense because they fail on both accounts. If the problem was item duping they could just solve that by being asses and making whatever item you get, like the Ark Artifact, just replace the Ark Artifact you already have. Bam, no duping. And if they did that you(wait, they did!) you could do all the quests again, despite already having the rewards and it wouldn't be AS obvious that there was a logical inconsistency since 99% of the time the reward is a fragment with the only exception I can recall being the fragment weapons you can get in exchange for Chaos crystals. Even then, if someone did get one of each by just replaying that particular event is that a big deal considering that whichever you don't pick you can buy in the store? And it's not "just" fragments that you can not acquire more than one of, you can't buy more than one of each Monster Adornment from Chocolina either. whether one thinks that's player friendly or not is one thing but the game did already have a way of addressing the item gathering abuse issue.

But, since they did make the decision to not let you re-acquire items and did lock most quests that you have completed what they say and what you visually see and experience is 100% different. The disconnect is huge. You can tell me day and night that me going back and sealing a gate is me "re-living" that event but what I see and experience in the game tells me otherwise. I can not allow that to slide as a player. If I allow Square to tell me one thing while doing another then everything's broken. If Square saying the player characters are reliving those events and that has to be canon because Square says so despite them programming it differently Square might as well just tell everyone that they are playing as Lightening, despite us obviously not playing as Lightning, and make that canon to shut up the fan base.

Nope. Not buying it nor allowing it to happen. This is a problem only because of Square's incompetence.

On a philisophical note, re-living an event for the first time without any of your prior knowledge of the said event is a waste of time. You may indeed make different choices but you don't know that you did. That means when Caius says they have seen all the possible endings that surely, they actually have not. Either the player is indeed above time and does have the power to retain information from different timelines and lives within a single timeline or not, but you can't say that they can get to all these Paradox endings and have seen them all but then turn around and say that every time they seal a gate they lose their own knowledge of those events and live it for the first time. It again can not work both ways. If I accept that the player characters really are living those events for the first time than the player characters can not see all the paradox endings because they could only see and remember the last ending they got.

The only way this explanation works in any capacity is if Square Enix is really breaking the 4th wall and Cauis is actually addressing the player themselves, not the player characters, meaning he is meant to know that there's someone playing Serah and Noel sitting in front of a TV that retains that information while Serah and Noel do not which for story purposes may or may not actually be a 20 something video game nerd and is perhaps some other unknown and as of yet unintroduced character or entity in the Final Fantasy universe. So maybe we're not controlling Serah and Noel but controlling a character that is manipulating Serah and Noel's journey through time?

I'd actually find that hilarious.

This is all an inconsistency brought about by Square's writing incompetence. I'm no Sci-fi writer, I'm sure you can tell from my writing style that I'm no professional writer in any capacity actually, but even I could not write something this broken.
The gate are indeed set to an area within a possibility of the timeline .. that's why you can travel between academia 400 & 4xx
My point is that this is not a regular ( on a single line timeline ). The game says this numerous times.
Time indeed flow when you're not using them but not by much ( see the cutscene when you return to new bodhum, only a few hours at best have passed ). The seal on the gate allow you to see "another possibility" for the heroes for their travel ( for them , not for you ) explaining the paradox endings.
Right, I know and agree here.
If serah does come back ... it will be either her or a reincarnation version .. ( i guess it's time for snow to save the day !! )
I mean to say they need to make it to where all the moments of FF XIII-2 are but a mere flicker in Serah's mind and she experienced them because of her ability as a seeress as a vision from the future not physically and they should start the next game where FF XIII left off and just have Serah mention her visions as the ONLY tie to FF XIII-2 that will ever exist anywhere.
It's actually kind of sad that they have to do training and enlist in Tri-ace help. I wonder how much smaller is FFXIII-2's team as compared to FFXIII. And where are all the people from the Last Renmant and FFXII? Were they absorbed into FFXIII's team?

Konami themselves admits that they no longer know how to make RPGs. That's why they hired Tri-ace to help with their RPGs.
That Nier gets their guys canned and yet FF XIII gets another bat pisses me off.

Caius is indeed adressing the player or someone near .. ( Wait for the rest of my thoughts)

Yeul is not shown , and nobody seems top be near , so the message is for you Or for someone else having the same vision as yours ( might be possible )...

If one thing is told again in the fragment section , that is the actions of serah & noel are seen by people wandering in the timeline ( that's how snow knew about the trap ). Now It's entirely possible for lightning, caius or anyone in the same position to just watch your actions or caius.

As for the rest it's obvious a game design choice ..whenever is make little sense doesn't matter much IMO ..
Let's see : an item you took in bresha 005 is taken in bresha 100..
An item taken in bresha 100 is taken in bresha 005 too ... you're right it doesn't make in sense ...But here is the genius ... square team know this !! and that's why they are ambigous with .. "The future affect the past" part .. At this point they are indeed lazy but they made themselves the most convenient escuse ever...

PARADOXES

It should exist ..but it does ..Accept it and move on The NPCs are pretty much accepting it at face value ... Until a paradox is solved .. impossible things happens so don't use common sense ...
It's cheap , overused ...but as long as they have this convenient escuse .. you can do pretty much whatever you want.

It will still works ( chocolina is another example ) untill people get tired of this escuse.

How many of these stupid fortune medals do I need to get Dajh back? And the Chocolina reveal...
BpoNN.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Is the Lightning DLC supposed to be only about how she turned to crystal? It isn't hard for them to close things up in that one if they feel like it. Lightning shines, gets out of the crystal by her SHEER WILLPOWER (aka same way she crystalized herself) and goes on to kill the still alive Caius. Whatever way she goes about it somehow brings Etro back to life, or maybe like Caius she never really died in the first place. Or Light just gets a boost and becomes the new Etro officially. Chaos energy is sucked back, Mog is farted back to life and Serah is also resurrected because of reasons/mysterious new paradox/Etro philanthropy. All this without a single minute passing because Valhalla. Any variation of this sequence of events will fit XIII-2's internal logic.

How many of these stupid fortune medals do I need to get Dajh back? And the Chocolina reveal...
BpoNN.jpg
lol, seriously. I can see a deity wanting to intervene in the crazy relevant situations like the Orphan fight but when she goes out of her way to give powers to a chocobo chick... If the adamantoise farming/genocide in XIII was canon we'd probably have a situation concerning Etro giving superpowers to an adamantoise to protect its own kind (this would be neat actually).

Okay, just finished the game, and having learn from my pains of Kingdom Hearts (ie impossibly difficult tasks to accomplish to unlock an unsatsifying secret ending), I just youtubed all the paradox and secret endings.

What can I say ? I really enjoyed the game even if some things should be tweaked (If I go to the future and then open a treasure box, the treasure box should still be available in the past ! Also the developpers should've given you more options to mess with time, it could have been fun) but I'm really glad I didn't do it 100% in order to unlock this measly cliffhanger/stinger scene.

Seriously, that shit belongs to Kingdom Hearts or Metal Gear Solid, but in theses cases you're used to it. Hell, you even eagerly expect this final line of dialogue/scene that will make you go WTF ?

It's a shame, especially since I really liked the story, Noel and I grew fond of Sera and Mog (yes I'm easy to please) and the paradox endings. And I'm a sucker for those "Earn your happy ending" endings (that said, the "happiest" ending should be the Paradox where Snow comes back and reveals Alyssa's treachery, huh ?)

Well I can only hope all the loose ends will be answered in the DLC or an eventual FFXII-3 (and well, they have the perfect plot justification for the contradictions and plot holes : Hey, why did Ser- TIME PARADOX)

P.S. : lol @Lightning being basically a cosmic chewtoy/plaything. It's particularly egregious when you have just played Dissidia Duodecim just before FFXIII-2

RpgN

I've completed the game a while ago and have been slowly getting the fragments and maybe get a platinum on this game.

Regarding the ending, it mostly disappointed me and made me angry. FFXIII-2 was supposed to give answers to a lot of things but it became more convoluted than FFXIII and they held off on giving most explanation or fleshing certain characters out. The ending was something I didn't see coming even though you was getting warned a couple of times, I was just brushing it off and not taking it seriously. It felt like more an excuse to release DLC's or FFXIII-3.

On the other hand, it was pretty exciting and a turn you wouldn't expect out of a FF game. If a FFXIII-3 comes, then all is forgiven. It would be exciting to play a FF in a bleak and negative word, and see the final conclusion. Based on some fragments it seems as if, Noel will definitely come back and he's going to have to be stronger and ready to take it (his message in New Bodhum), the new Cocoon Bhunivelze is not destroyed in the end (there was a fragment about people managed to create a new home for humans, a strong place to defend themselves or something), a new star comes that could mean a new playable character or Lightning (there was another fragment about that) and Serah is dead, but she might not be dead for good. She might live on in certain miracle cutscenes or gets resurrected again (Her message in New Bodhum suggests that she's is dead). And then there is Lightning, she's not dead, she's sleeping and trying to maintain Serah's will, this could mean that she awakens in FFXIII-3 and she will get the drive to save the day for her sister. There are also many things left hanging, like Caius' role in all of this, the FFXIII cast reunited, the return of the Maker in FFXIII-3 and maybe Snow and Serah can finally get married by a miracle.

It sounds like there is more than enough material to make a FFXIII-3 and that Lightning's DLC is not going to be enough, it might be explaining things that happened in FFXIII-2.

I'd love them to make FFXIII-3, a DLC is not going to cut it. I want to see a proper conclusion once and for all! But if they make it like FFXIII-2, leave things hanging and enough room for a FFXIII-4....then someone going to get hurt :/

Toth

Here's a storyline question for you:

Was Bhunivelve (Cocoon 2.0) created from the Thirteenth Ark or from complete scratch? In 400 AF, the Ark hangs over the city (didn't they say it just appeared?). It is no longer there in 500 AF. Instead, we have the new Cocoon nearby ready to be raised. So did Hope use the existing shell of the Ark and build over it to create Bhunivelze? They look rather similiar after all. Was his plan to find more of the energy source present in the Ark (the cores) and add more of a city to the Ark, using the new cores to maintain the power needed to keep the growing sphere aloft?

RpgN

Here's a storyline question for you:

Was Bhunivelve (Cocoon 2.0) created from the Thirteenth Ark or from complete scratch? In 400 AF, the Ark hangs over the city (didn't they say it just appeared?). It is no longer there in 500 AF. Instead, we have the new Cocoon nearby ready to be raised. So did Hope use the existing shell of the Ark and build over it to create Bhunivelze? They look rather similiar after all. Was his plan to find more of the energy source present in the Ark (the cores) and add more of a city to the Ark, using the new cores to maintain the power needed to keep the growing sphere aloft?

They sent scientists to study how the Ark is constructed and use that knowledge to build their own new home.The game never explicitly mentioned them using the Ark and build the new Cocoon on it as far as I'm aware.

And today I managed to get all the fragments! Some of the paradox endings have been pretty good. The one with the flans is very charming and funy. The one with Serah staying with Noel and fight the man-made weapons was epic. And the one with Snow saving the day from Alyssa was pretty funny, a lot happened in it quickly. It would be interesting to play those different endings and see what happens. It's getting late here, so tomorrow is going to be all about the secret ending and getting a perfect rating for the last boss.

Ricker

Ok guys just finished the game,loved it,got 63 Fragments on my first playthrough and gave up and did the last section on easy but I have a few questions now.

After the credit roll the game said to go back to Serenpidity and talk to Mystic then relock all the Crux or what? because I did all the new intro stuff with Lightning and Noel then travelled to Seren and bang,Serah is back...I noticed the save screen is a different color now and all though so I think I'm still good to try a second paradox?

Also when they said to be continued,are they talking about FFXIII-3 or the rest of this game with the other paradox endings or DLC's????

I hope it's FFXIII-3...

Ricker , you don't need to reload all the crux , just close the gate from the right points to get an ending .. Paradox scope ( that item you get in serendipity ) allow you to see alternate variations in the timeline and thus reach the paradox endings ... you don't need to close every gate to reach them , just close some of them.

For example , close chapter 2 , and activate the scope and go toward atlas ( without using the device to weak him) . This will engage in a paradox fight.. and upon winning , you'll reach another ending ...

61 fragments is not a lot , you might want to open more gates with wild artifacts to reach more areas, get better monsters and thus be ready for some insane challenges ahead ( not that hard mind you )

Ricker

Ricker , you don't need to reload all the crux , just close the gate from the right points to get an ending .. Paradox scope ( that item you get in serendipity ) allow you to see alternate variations in the timeline and thus reach the paradox endings ... you don't need to close every gate to reach them , just close some of them.

For example , close chapter 2 , and activate the scope and go toward atlas ( without using the device to weak him) . This will engage in a paradox fight.. and upon winning , you'll reach another ending ...

61 fragments is not a lot , you might want to open more gates with wild artifacts to reach more areas, get better monsters and thus be ready for some insane challenges ahead ( not that hard mind you )

Thanks,I will try that...first thing I did with the new stuff is use the better floating jump to go to that big section in the Steppes that I couldn't explore before hehe,that drove me nuts.

Thanks,I will try that...first thing I did with the new stuff is use the better floating jump to go to that big section in the Steppes that I couldn't explore before hehe,that drove me nuts.

Actually you could visit it by making the weather full on thunder ( forgot the right name ) and on the south part of the map near the cliff , on the cliff you'll see a cactuar you must mog locate .. upon activating it , you'll be teleported to the second part of the map

patsu

I am stuck in
Serendipity
. Door wouldn't open. I went to
The Void Beyond
once, but it's not locked too. What do I need to open the door ?

GorillaJu

So the developers had said, I think during GDC, that they were planning on more DLC to wrap up things like Lightning's storyline.

Is this what we already got with the Coliseum DLC? As much as I like having a godly Lightning Ravager in my team, I really want to know how the story continues and I hope it isn't already over. Unless Lightning is the "Etro" goddess in FFVS13? Highly unlikely

And reading back through this thread, some of the complaints strike me as a bit ridiculous, if I'm honest. In particular, the complaints about Square's "rules" in regards to time travel. This is something you have to accept in every game or film that involves jumping through time lines - since it's impossible in real life, concessions and rules have to be made to serve the game play and storytelling. It wasn't perfect, but it did its part to make the game less linear, show consequences on a simple visual level, etc.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
So the developers had said, I think during GDC, that they were planning on more DLC to wrap up things like Lightning's storyline.

Is this what we already got with the Coliseum DLC?

In May a DLC Episode titled "Requiem of the Goddess" will be released for XIII-2. The focus on Lightning's side of the story, her final battle with Caius and the reasons why she turned crystal at the end of the game.

Unless Lightning is the "Etro" goddess in FFVS13? Highly unlikely

There are no connections between the FNC titles except for their stories being based on the same mythos. Don't expect anything more than this.

Is this what we already got with the Coliseum DLC? As much as I like having a godly Lightning Ravager in my team, I really want to know how the story continues and I hope it isn't already over. Unless Lightning is the "Etro" goddess in FFVS13? Highly unlikely

And reading back through this thread, some of the complaints strike me as a bit ridiculous, if I'm honest. In particular, the complaints about Square's "rules" in regards to time travel. This is something you have to accept in every game or film that involves jumping through time lines - since it's impossible in real life, concessions and rules have to be made to serve the game play and storytelling. It wasn't perfect, but it did its part to make the game less linear, show consequences on a simple visual level, etc.

The lightning dlc will probably cover what happenned to lightning during the main events of the game.. i really don't expect more than that

CorvoSol

So I just finished this game the other day, and since the XIII-2 boards on GameFAQs are full of nut jobs who literally think Toriyama's works are nuanced and great and stuff, I thought I'd pop in my 2 cents here.

THAT ENDING. WOW.

How is it that in 5 minutes he completely manages to invalidate everything you worked for in both games? Holy hell! The whole effort in XIII to save Cocoon and Serah? Yeah both of those are dead now because uhm (according to GameFAQs) it just had to happen! Thanks for all your hard work Fang and Vanille, but now the world you fought to protect is gone, and so is your home, because Hope decided to run away from his problems instead of solving them with the 500 years he had to work with!

Like, okay, WHY did any of that happen? Why did Cocoon fall? In the game they go about telling you about all these different causes, and you solve them one by one. You stop the Flan, you stop the war, you find the gravity crystals, you've got Caius distracted so he can't knock it down himself. Why does Cocoon fall? Why did Hope opt to build a new one, when his task was to save the old one? Like, seriously, you'd think one of the six people who went through a huge-ass grueling experience to save Cocoon would try a little bit harder to save it anyway?

And why did Serah die? If Cocoon still fell, we didn't change history. And we killed Caius outside of time, which, if FF8 was any indication, is just about the only safe place to do it. And since the game has lead me to believe that Cocoon's inexplicable fall is the hinging point, what did I change, exactly, that causes the timeline to change and kill Serah?

And what the hell went wrong with Hope's character? Like, I guess Toriyama decided people didn't like Hope in the last game, so he replaced him? I mean, older Hope is definitely a cooler guy, but how is it that Hope suddenly is a super-genius? I mean, the game says he studied for 10 years or whatever (How? Where? The world was over and the beginning of the game specifically says Serah isn't attending the University because of that.) but that still doesn't explain how Hope is smart enough to suddenly build his own Fal'Cie. Something that previously only Gods could do. And why does Lightning conveniently give time-travel powers to everybody she knows except Hope? Like, seriously, she sends Serah and Noel off because visions or whatever, and Snow and Sazh because they were party members, but she also ships Dajh and the Chocobo Chick, but neglects Hope? So much for the Light x Hope shippers.

The game itself was fun, and the stupid "Everything is paradoxes!" I could excuse because it was less offensive than Third Birthday, but WOW that ending completely craps all over both of these games.

Other fun things: Pulse and Lindzei are trying to open Etro's gate. That's like, their goal, and the goal of their Fal'Cie. Why in the hell was one of Pulse's Fal'Cie and L'Cie tasked with protecting Etro's seer? (Actually, I could be confused. ASSUMING that the Gods are shared between all FNC titles, that's what Pulse and Lindzei are up to. If they're just same character/different continuity, then this game completely ignores the big question of FFXIII: Where did the Makers go?)

How did the Farseer Tribe resurface in 700 AF when it hadn't been around since the War of Transgression?

Why would Hope build a Fal'Cie following his experiences with them on Cocoon? Let alone use the brains of the Fal'Cie Eden to do it?

Who is Lady Luck? In Serendipity they call her the Goddess. Do they mean Etro? If so, why does Fang talk about her, when Fang clearly subscribes to the Pulsian view that Etro is an abhorrent Goddess?

@CorvoSol

Everything is not lost ... you still have HOPE ( not the character )

First stopping the fall of cocoon isn't the problem..
First it wasn't supposed to fall in the first place.. See the last part of ff13 ( just before the very last battle ? )
It wasn't supposed to happen .. Etro came and messed up ..result ? more yeul dead and caius even angrier.
There was no need from a sacrifice in the first place because it wasn't supposed to be supported by a pillar...

Second , the rules of ff8 mean nothing ..this is another game , another universe another rules .
Here the problem is not that caius died outside of time ( in vahalla ) , the problem is that etro gave her heart to caius and caius cannot die by itself.
The stupid thing here is that etro messed up so much that the person that was supposed to protect her want her dead .
Caius lives , he wins if unchecked.
Caius dies , he wins.

Third : Hope
Nothing wrong with him
Hope in ff13 was already a bright kid loved by his parents and promised to a bright future ( his dad says this )
The only problem is that he was consummed by anger toward snow. He was otherwise obviously the party member with the most INT.
Hope has a driving force behind his actions ( his secret hope to study the paradoxes to see if he can save his mother AND/OR vanille-fang). Second , it is said that various people gained habilities ( such as magic ) .Hope being an Ex-L'cie it's obvious he kept them habilities ( just like snow or shaz )

Hope gained lot of additionnal knowledge by rising in the ranks of the academy ..he didn't do it by itself , but he was the lead on the project ...besides on this timeline we are playing on , he was helped by someone who speeded up his work a lot ...( alyssa ).
He didn't build the falcie , he used the falcie in place and changed things ...much different

Fourth : Serah
Serah isn't attending university because :
- She is confused because of lightning "death"
- She went with snow and the Nora people on pulse to populate it ..
- She basicly followed her love

Besides if she can teach children , she has enough habilities so far.

She died because the timeline changed and each time you see the timeline you lifespan is reduced.. that's why the yeuls are so young.

She spent at least 3 years watching the timeline changing in her dreams , not to mention her travels during the game ...

Fifth : Lightning
Light didn't gave anyone time powers

Magic came back into everyone in the party that were a l'cie ( even dajz ) and to many people compatible because of the paradoxes

-Lightning only sent Noel to serah
-Snow got his powers thanks to [not said] but he has another brand so it's probably a paradox falcie he met ... that's why he can't use the paradoxes gates ..
-Shaz got trapped into a paradox vortex with dajz , light has nothing to do with it ...

-Chocolina is the result of too much paradoxes ... she is nothing more than that ..

If lightning could intervienne directly on characters in the timeline like caius , she would have done so .. but seeing as she didn't even saves her former comerades from the army , she simply can't is the most natural conclusion...
When she did interfered ( once ) by sending noel to serah ... THAT choice as seen in "requiem to the godess" lead directly to serah death
Sixth : Paradoxes
How did the Farseer Tribe resurface in 700 AF when it hadn't been around since the War of Transgression?
Caius doing
Being one of the tribe himself , he created recollection of the tribe out of survivors for the sole purpose of creating a suitable successor. he can't die by itself. That much is obvious.
Controlling the tribe whims and culture is pretty easy when you can travel trough time ...

That is the most likely explanation so far. but it isn't confirmed. Another theory is that "A dying world" is from a paradox timeline where they didn't disapear.

Why would Hope build a Fal'Cie following his experiences with them on Cocoon? Let alone use the brains of the Fal'Cie Eden to do it?
No choice, not enough time and that was the most doable plan he managed to do it in 2 years ... that's uber fast .
The alternative is going to 400 years in the future , to look for gravity cores that could be anywhere on the timeline with a machine that is instable enough that it broke after 1 use ..

You don't do that unless you have no options left .. besides , the fal'cie was supposed to not have the evil part in it ... he was just killed by the fact that the paradox exist and thus the machine could improve itself ...

Who is Lady Luck? In Serendipity they call her the Goddess. Do they mean Etro? If so, why does Fang talk about her, when Fang clearly subscribes to the Pulsian view that Etro is an abhorrent Goddess?
I might be wrong on this one but she is NOT Etro ..
Ps: it's pretty clear that etro does things on a whim

CorvoSol

@CorvoSol

Everything is not lost ... you still have HOPE ( not the character )

First stopping the fall of cocoon isn't the problem..
First it wasn't supposed to fall in the first place.. See the last part of ff13 ( just before the very last battle ? )
It wasn't supposed to happen .. Etro came and messed up ..result ? more yeul dead and caius even angrier.
There was no need from a sacrifice in the first place because it wasn't supposed to be supported by a pillar...

Second , the rules of ff8 mean nothing ..this is another game , another universe another rules .
Here the problem is not that caius died outside of time ( in vahalla ) , the problem is that etro gave her heart to caius and caius cannot die by itself.
The stupid thing here is that etro messed up so much that the person that was supposed to protect her want her dead .
Caius lives , he wins if unchecked.
Caius dies , he wins.

Third : Hope
Nothing wrong with him
Hope in ff13 was already a bright kid loved by his parents and promised to a bright future ( his dad says this )
The only problem is that he was consummed by anger toward snow. He was otherwise obviously the party member with the most INT.
Hope has a driving force behind his actions ( his secret hope to study the paradoxes to see if he can save his mother AND/OR vanille-fang). Second , it is said that various people gained habilities ( such as magic ) .Hope being an Ex-L'cie it's obvious he kept them habilities ( just like snow or shaz )

Hope gained lot of additionnal knowledge by rising in the ranks of the academy ..he didn't do it by itself , but he was the lead on the project ...besides on this timeline we are playing on , he was helped by someone who speeded up his work a lot ...( alyssa ).
He didn't build the falcie , he used the falcie in place and changed things ...much different

Fourth : Serah
Serah isn't attending university because :
- She is confused because of lightning "death"
- She went with snow and the Nora people on pulse to populate it ..
- She basicly followed her love

Besides if she can teach children , she has enough habilities so far.

She died because the timeline changed and each time you see the timeline you lifespan is reduced.. that's why the yeuls are so young.

She spent at least 3 years watching the timeline changing in her dreams , not to mention her travels during the game ...

Fifth : Lightning
Light didn't gave anyone time powers

Magic came back into everyone in the party that were a l'cie ( even dajz ) and to many people compatible because of the paradoxes

-Lightning only sent Noel to serah
-Snow got his powers thanks to [not said] but he has another brand so it's probably a paradox falcie he met ... that's why he can't use the paradoxes gates ..
-Shaz got trapped into a paradox vortex with dajz , light has nothing to do with it ...

-Chocolina is the result of too much paradoxes ... she is nothing more than that ..

If lightning could intervienne directly on characters in the timeline like caius , she would have done so .. but seeing as she didn't even saves her former comerades from the army , she simply can't is the most natural conclusion...
When she did interfered ( once ) by sending noel to serah ... THAT choice as seen in "requiem to the godess" lead directly to serah death
Sixth : Paradoxes

Caius doing
Being one of the tribe himself , he created recollection of the tribe out of survivors for the sole purpose of creating a suitable successor. he can't die by itself. That much is obvious.
Controlling the tribe whims and culture is pretty easy when you can travel trough time ...

That is the most likely explanation so far. but it isn't confirmed. Another theory is that "A dying world" is from a paradox timeline where they didn't disapear.

No choice, not enough time and that was the most doable plan he managed to do it in 2 years ... that's uber fast .
The alternative is going to 400 years in the future , to look for gravity cores that could be anywhere on the timeline with a machine that is instable enough that it broke after 1 use ..

You don't do that unless you have no options left .. besides , the fal'cie was supposed to not have the evil part in it ... he was just killed by the fact that the paradox exist and thus the machine could improve itself ...

I might be wrong on this one but she is NOT Etro ..
Ps: it's pretty clear that etro does things on a whim

HOLD UP. 1) Chocolina is the Chocobo Chick? Dear God, WHY?

2) I get that Etro timeywimey'd things to help save the L'Cie and that for some reason that is never ever explained that dooms Yeul to die a billion times (which isn't true, since apparently changing time is what kills Yeul off/Yeul chooses to keep coming back to be with Caius.) and such, but why does Cocoon fall in 500 AF? There's literally 0 reasons left, since half the game's quest is about preventing it's fall. If I wasn't working to stop it from falling, then everything I did for half this game and an entire game before it makes no sense. If it was destined to fall, then it invalidates the entire theme of the last game about changing your destiny and all that jazz. No matter how you slice it, the fall of Cocoon in 500 AF is stupid.

a) How did Etro DO any of this, though? She was never given any powers by Bhunivelze, so where did she suddenly find the power to do all this?

3)Yeah, I get that FF8 rules don't apply. You know what else I get? That there are literally 0 rules to how time travel works in this game. Why are chests I opened in the future empty in the past? What determines if a new timeline will be created? Why is the Historia Crux a big sloppy mess instead of being chronologically ordered, or ordered by location? How does changing the future change the past? Even taking that into account, if killing Caius killed Etro and therefore resolved NOTHING, why did Serah die, and why did all those time-gates appear in Valhalla?

4)Hope is completely different. He's nothing like he was in FFXIII. He's the only character in this game who is an entirely different age. He's also suddenly a super-genius who can build Gods somehow. There's no reason he or anybody on Cocoon should be able to do that. It took Lindzei and Pulse to make the Fal'Cie on Cocoon and Gran Pulse.

Then there's the fact that he's a massive hypocrite the whole way through the game. Hope fought to free humanity from the Fal'Cie, he was enslaved by them and saw FIRSTHAND how evil they, principally Orphan, Barthandelus and Eden could be. He built his entire regime on the ideology of doing things for humanity, by humanity. Then he took the brain of one of the three beings that conspired to kill humanity and built a new Fal'Cie to rule humanity out of said brain. How is that a good thing AT. ALL?

And let's not forget Hope's ingenious idea to save Cocoon and Pulse: Abandoning them. Guy has 500 years to prevent Cocoon from falling and destroying the world, and what does he do? Decides that everything he did in FFXIII was apparently not that important, I guess, since in addition to building a new Fal'Cie, Hope decides to just let Cocoon fall and destroy Pulse forever. "Hey, thanks Fang and Vanille, for saving our worlds. As a reward, I've just destroyed them both." Massive hypocrite. Hope is the greatest villain in the FNC, succeeding where Barthandelus failed.

5)Serah flat out says she isn't attending the University because of the events of FFXIII. There is no university to attend as of 3 AF. So there was nowhere for Hope to study, and again, there's nothing for him to study to know how to build a God. XIII had the Fal'Cie shrouded in mystery, how is it that in a mere 13 years, Hope learns everything there is to know about how they function?

And I contend, again, that the Timeline couldn't have changed in any big way by killing Caius. You yourself have said that killing him in Valhalla doesn't remove him from the timeline, so his death has no real effect on it. What changed from before they went to Valhalla to after they left it that caused her to die? Nothing! Cocoon still fell, Pulse is still covered in crystal dust, and anybody still living there is still going to die slowly and painfully. If Bhunivelze is the change, Serah should've died before they ever reached Valhalla, since she'd prevented Caius from attacking it.

6)Lightning grants Serah and Noel the power to travel time. Snow flat-out says Lightning has been talking to him in dreams, and so does Sazh. The only person who doesn't get help from Lightning is Hope. Because he'd probably screw it all up anyway.

7)Yeah, fine, I guess Caius could rebuild the Farseers. Except why would he dedicate a tribe of people to worshipping a Goddess he intended to kill?

8)If Hope's machine was so unreliable, how did he get from 400 to 500 AF? How did SAZH get there? Why hadn't Dajh aged a single day in 3 years?

Toriyama needs to stop making games that focus on time travel and the relationship between sisters. UGH. I swear, I've seen the word paradox so many times I'm gonna be sick.

Toth

I'll take a stab at this:

1) Yes, explained in Sazh's scenario,

2) Cocoon fell because paradoxes caused its destruction. The flans, the wars (Atlas showing up in 10 AF resulted in Atlas being made), etc. If the paradoxes never occurred, the pillar would have remained.

3) Killing Caias resolved the final paradox. Unfortunately, his death meant Etro died as well so the Gate was smashed open and chaos ruined everything.

4) Hope was always a very bright young man. He did not make Adam remember. He used parts of Eden in its construction.

5)The Academy replaced the universities of Cocoon. That was where Hope studied.

6) Serah can travel through time because she has the gift from Etro.

7) He kept the Farseers going because he wanted to raise one of them to be strong enough to finally kill him.

8) Sazh and Dahj's reason to be in 500 was explained in the his scenario. He was sent there from the casino.

Shahed

Having 100%'d both games, I'd have to say I really enjoyed them. However the story wasn't something I really understood, or really cared about much. Didn't really seem explained well enough.

Then my sister showed me the FNC myth video. I then read the Datalogs of both games and replayed them. This time around I actually enjoyed the story and would like to see where they go from here. They could have done a miles better job of portraying the story though. No one should have to read supplementary material because the game did a poor job through it's own narrative (well in XIII's case that is, XIII-2 was okay)

Anyways, bring on FFXIII-3.

CorvoSol

I'll take a stab at this:

1) Yes, explained in Sazh's scenario,

2) Cocoon fell because paradoxes caused its destruction. The flans, the wars (Atlas showing up in 10 AF resulted in Atlas being made), etc. If the paradoxes never occurred, the pillar would have remained.

3) Killing Caias resolved the final paradox. Unfortunately, his death meant Etro died as well so the Gate was smashed open and chaos ruined everything.

4) Hope was always a very bright young man. He did not make Adam remember. He used parts of Eden in its construction.

5)The Academy replaced the universities of Cocoon. That was where Hope studied.

6) Serah can travel through time because she has the gift from Etro.

7) He kept the Farseers going because he wanted to raise one of them to be strong enough to finally kill him.

8) Sazh and Dahj's reason to be in 500 was explained in the his scenario. He was sent there from the casino.

But how could Hope possibly have known how to use Eden to build Adam?

HOLD UP. 1) Chocolina is the Chocobo Chick? Dear God, WHY?

2) I get that Etro timeywimey'd things to help save the L'Cie and that for some reason that is never ever explained that dooms Yeul to die a billion times (which isn't true, since apparently changing time is what kills Yeul off/Yeul chooses to keep coming back to be with Caius.) and such, but why does Cocoon fall in 500 AF? There's literally 0 reasons left, since half the game's quest is about preventing it's fall. If I wasn't working to stop it from falling, then everything I did for half this game and an entire game before it makes no sense. If it was destined to fall, then it invalidates the entire theme of the last game about changing your destiny and all that jazz. No matter how you slice it, the fall of Cocoon in 500 AF is stupid.

a) How did Etro DO any of this, though? She was never given any powers by Bhunivelze, so where did she suddenly find the power to do all this?

3)Yeah, I get that FF8 rules don't apply. You know what else I get? That there are literally 0 rules to how time travel works in this game. Why are chests I opened in the future empty in the past? What determines if a new timeline will be created? Why is the Historia Crux a big sloppy mess instead of being chronologically ordered, or ordered by location? How does changing the future change the past? Even taking that into account, if killing Caius killed Etro and therefore resolved NOTHING, why did Serah die, and why did all those time-gates appear in Valhalla?

4)Hope is completely different. He's nothing like he was in FFXIII. He's the only character in this game who is an entirely different age. He's also suddenly a super-genius who can build Gods somehow. There's no reason he or anybody on Cocoon should be able to do that. It took Lindzei and Pulse to make the Fal'Cie on Cocoon and Gran Pulse.

Then there's the fact that he's a massive hypocrite the whole way through the game. Hope fought to free humanity from the Fal'Cie, he was enslaved by them and saw FIRSTHAND how evil they, principally Orphan, Barthandelus and Eden could be. He built his entire regime on the ideology of doing things for humanity, by humanity. Then he took the brain of one of the three beings that conspired to kill humanity and built a new Fal'Cie to rule humanity out of said brain. How is that a good thing AT. ALL?

And let's not forget Hope's ingenious idea to save Cocoon and Pulse: Abandoning them. Guy has 500 years to prevent Cocoon from falling and destroying the world, and what does he do? Decides that everything he did in FFXIII was apparently not that important, I guess, since in addition to building a new Fal'Cie, Hope decides to just let Cocoon fall and destroy Pulse forever. "Hey, thanks Fang and Vanille, for saving our worlds. As a reward, I've just destroyed them both." Massive hypocrite. Hope is the greatest villain in the FNC, succeeding where Barthandelus failed.

5)Serah flat out says she isn't attending the University because of the events of FFXIII. There is no university to attend as of 3 AF. So there was nowhere for Hope to study, and again, there's nothing for him to study to know how to build a God. XIII had the Fal'Cie shrouded in mystery, how is it that in a mere 13 years, Hope learns everything there is to know about how they function?

And I contend, again, that the Timeline couldn't have changed in any big way by killing Caius. You yourself have said that killing him in Valhalla doesn't remove him from the timeline, so his death has no real effect on it. What changed from before they went to Valhalla to after they left it that caused her to die? Nothing! Cocoon still fell, Pulse is still covered in crystal dust, and anybody still living there is still going to die slowly and painfully. If Bhunivelze is the change, Serah should've died before they ever reached Valhalla, since she'd prevented Caius from attacking it.

6)Lightning grants Serah and Noel the power to travel time. Snow flat-out says Lightning has been talking to him in dreams, and so does Sazh. The only person who doesn't get help from Lightning is Hope. Because he'd probably screw it all up anyway.

7)Yeah, fine, I guess Caius could rebuild the Farseers. Except why would he dedicate a tribe of people to worshipping a Goddess he intended to kill?

8)If Hope's machine was so unreliable, how did he get from 400 to 500 AF? How did SAZH get there? Why hadn't Dajh aged a single day in 3 years?

Toriyama needs to stop making games that focus on time travel and the relationship between sisters. UGH. I swear, I've seen the word paradox so many times I'm gonna be sick.

Sorry it's late so my answer will be quick (i hope )

1) chocolina is the chocobo chick that was on sazh head .. dat chick got trapped in the historia crux and her resulting existance is a once in a million paradox

2) even without etro yeul dies.. An example is shown during the game as one yeul had seen a disaster coming , she warns up her people , but by doing so changes events , and thus change the timeline ( people fought to avoid the disaster ) that particular example is tricky because the fact that she told people about it is the trigger to the disaster but countless examples exist.
Being a seerers ( awakening said powers ) lead to your death because you see important events , and tell about it ( or not ) and that affect the timeline and it changes.

Etro actions just put oil on the fire , not to mention that it's her powers at work.

If you mean at the end of the gate the new city made by Hope fall because the door to vahalla opened marging all realities at this point ( outside the paradoxes ) as you can see everything fall once vahalla arrives leading probably toward cocoon demise.

3) Already explained earlier in this thread.
They are rules ..they just aren't standard time travel rules ..instead of time travelling like the other games you are moving towards specific time point within different dimension that represent possibilities within the timeline ... that's why even when the proto falcie doesn't exist , you can still travel to academia 400 and that's why you have different set of gates within a same location ( academia 400 & academia 4xx ) leading to different places when you take all into account , historia crux does just that ... and that why you can have the paradox endings as caius said "everything happenned you've seen it all".

As for changing the future affect the past , i gave you one example at 2) but the same rules applies.

4) Hope is the only one who could grow and be forced to have a style change
- lighting got stuck in vahalla ( no change )
- snow parted ways 1 or 2 years after ff13 ending ( no change )
- sahz and dahj went missing too ( no change )
- vanille & fang are frozen

he is the only one that grew up to AF 10 ( he is 10 years older when you first meet him ) .Considering he was a teen in ff13, it's perfectly natural for him to have changed.

5) i dunno about no university ,the academy is made for people like her .Of course she can't study on pulse ( academy role is to research and they continued for over 400 years ) there is an obvious need for an university.
Hope didn't BUILD the proto falcie , he used existing parts for the falcie himself and they BUILT augusta tower to house it ..
Also hope didn't know about everything that's why the project failed .
the proto falcie project is everything but a success. Maybe he could have suceeeded having more time to study the falcie , but that's another subject.

Caius can't die ..POINT ... except by the hand of another protector..how many times did you try in the game ? how many tries did lightning take ? all failures ...As seen in the dying world paradox ending , the difference is that noel doesn't take up the job he doesn't pick/protect/take the heart of etro ..when he does so in the paradox ending , he has regrets butbut everything continues on the same line as before. There is no point of removing him from the timeline , just stopping him from messing up with it .

What changed from before they went to Valhalla to after they left it that caused her to die? Nothing! Cocoon still fell, Pulse is still covered in crystal dust, and anybody still living there is still going to die slowly and painfully.

we don't know what changed ( it wasn't shown ) but something clearly changed.
Just because something important changed doesn't mean it was your current objective that got changed.
Also you can't prevent caius from using Bhunivelze untill you end the fight with him , so you cannot see any timeline change before that point.aka the ending.

6)No , no serah and noel can travel using the gates ( and only them ) because they have gifts from etro , noel because he is a protector, serah because she is a seeres
-lightning does use them ( because she is a godess warrior , she has the gift )
-snow can't use them
-sahz got into a paradox and arrived at xanadu ( serendipity in US version ) and then to academia 500AF with dajz because "luck" ..yes luck or destiny ( see dlc )
-hope can't use them.

Snow and sazh mention lightning , but that's after they have started travelling through time by their own means

7) no other way since in all the game timelines , cocoon fell anyway ? ( 2 miracles at the end of ff13 , not 1 )
besides , it's clear that caius trained noel.. other theories exist but there is a solution for each of them. Also he was part of the tribe from the start..

8) Hope machine can't go backward in time ... You arrive in 400Af and realise you need a graviton core in 100 AF ...what do you do ? you're screwed ... It broke down arriving in 400 af ( hope and alyssa both state this )
He got from 400Af to 500 Af by other means ( or by rebuilding another thanks to the improved academia )Again it's not shown , but many possibilities exists
For example he could have built another while correcting the reason it broke in the first place ( with better parts and better tech as you're 400Af in the future )

Sazh & dajz are explained in the dlc ...they aged at max 1 year since the end of ff13 ..not enough to show any chance to dajz design changing.

But how could Hope possibly have known how to use Eden to build Adam?
reaserch and old documents .
Academia got a large part of his budget to studying paradoxes and this since it was clear with cocoon falling that there would be a need for other means to survive than the fal'cie..

Why did they build a new cocoon and not just move away?

This is what annoys me most...In the day they rise Bhunivelze it was 500 years after Cocoon fell. Surely that was enough time to adapt to Pulse? Why bother trying to make a new Cocoon. What was wrong with living on Pulse?

Some people went to live on the surface ( pulse ) not everyone agreed to the move.
heck deciding what to do about cocoon pilar lead to war and desolation in several scénarios if academia doesn't step in.

Move away ? but where ??? If cocoon crash the impact will damage the land for centuries ..and if the are on the land they would take that damage. Actually the crash isn't important but the death of people on cocoon is ...

It's easy to imagine that not everyone would want to live in settlement on the surface when the main cities are packed with technology..

You had to quit convenients energy productions sources and food production to go on the surface where supplies are limited.

Unless i can somehow visit a settlement on the surface of people ( not research ruins ) before 500 af that give me other clues than the ones i've got i'll stick to this...

I think the war happened when/because Cocoon was falling (between people living on Cocoon and people on Pulse).

Cocoon's fall also heavily damages the world of Pulse without the metashield that Hope develops. Without that metashield they'd probably still be in big trouble.

I think Pulse is still considered a dangerous place to live, too. Maybe Academia (while huge) can't support the entire population of Cocoon and that gives rise to conflict.

So, yeah, without the metashield to protect Pulse from Cocoon's fall and a new Cocoon, they would probably still end up with A Dying World and Noel's timeline.

Also, if Noel and Serah hadn't resolved the paradoxes that would cause Cocoon to fall, Cocoon would have fallen EARLIER. Solving those paradoxes provided Hope with more time to develop the metashield and the new Cocoon, that's all. The reason Cocoon falls in the end is just because the crystal pillar supporting it is too old, it wears out and can't support Cocoon anymore.

The land of Pulse was ruined by the war that scorched the earth--not from Coccoon falling.

the war that scorched the earth is caused by cocoon falling ..

And hope meta shield is there to prevent damage ( to pulse ) once the pillar is gone and cocoon falls.. there are people living on the surface at this point of time. they haven't unlimited ressources and letting the land die is clearly NOT an option for survival

There is a difference in the many reasons that lead to the dying world..for example there is spécific timeline where caius use cocoon 2.0 against cocoon , and it's enough to create a dying world ..

Cocoon failing ruins pulse ( or a part of it ) if it's not the part where hope is there to soften the damages..

Aru

I suppose it's okay to bump this thread to discuss the story of this game ?

I understood most aspects of the plot of this game (thanks to the fragments and paradox endings) but there are some things I wanted to discuss.

The Requiem of the Goddess DLC is supposed to happen at the same time as the main story, isn't it ? And finish just before it. Because Lightning sees Serah dying in a chaos-formed memory, but at that time Caius hasn't been "killed" by Noel yet. Then Caius attacks Lightning and it seems like he won. Caius also said that time flows differently in Valhalla, that's why Lightning is already crystallized when Serah and Noel fight him.

But what about the part when Lightning sees Serah's body being held by all the souls of the many Yeuls ? Caius still has the heart of Chaos in the fight just after that, so Etro isn't dead yet.

Is Serah's body just an illusion created by Yeul to manipulate Lightning ?
What about Serah's soul who talks to Lightning just after the battle ? Is that a dream ?

I've watched some cutscenes again looking for an explanation, but I can't seem to find one. Maybe it was in the fragments.

Top Bottom