• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Spoiler Thread: Putting on our Makeup

Perfo said:
The FNC mythos and concept behind every title is extremely interesting and fascinating, but I would have loved to see S-E more coherent with it.
There were quite a few missed opportunities based around lore, like how the failed to play up the fal’Cie being slaves to their Foci, just like l’Cie, only worse because they are physically incapable of doing anything outside of completing their focuses.

Could have made two of the villains actually interesting, but that would have involved moral grays so we can’t have that.

They do bring it up, but it’s very one-off.
duckroll said:
The party is only stupid because they are written to be stupid. It is bad writing to put the player in control of characters who are written to be stupid, especially in a ROLE PLAYING game.
Eh.

Reasonable stupidity is fine, but the characters in both games are the worst kind of stupid and they make it worse by treating said stupidity as completely acceptable (hell, sometimes even preferable).

It’s sort of a problem I have with some of the dumber JRPGs, where simple and naïve people are treated by the story as the best people ever because god forbid anybody has a nuanced thought in their entire lives.

Droplet

I like how in the first game Hope is supposed to be a completely normal kid caught up in circumstances and in the second game he's a charismatic leader and super genius who creates a lower god in one timeline and creates and levitates another freaking planet in another.

Consistency.

no :mad: serah and snow 4ever. the academia 4xx paradox ending was the true ending.

I like the way you think.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Holy shit. I just saw that ending. Why isn't that the real ending to the game?!

Maybe it is.

It's the best because of Alyssa.

hamchan

Heh, I just saw the Academia 4xx ending. It was actually a pretty funny and badass ending. Funny if XIII-3 was the hunt for the thirteen crystals.

Snow still sucks though.

Just need to clarify something.

So Etro intervened at the end of XIII by changing the l'cie from crystal to normal? Or was that a part of history?

On the ffxiii forums people are saying Etro's intervention that led to her powers being lost and for the timeline jumbling up was the fact that she hid the whole Lightning being sucked into valhalla and changed history to make it seem like Light got into the Crystal pillar instead.

But Serah shows no attraction to Noel and Noel only have a hard on for Yeul.

The chemistry the other dude is talking about has arisen due to a time paradox

We must change the future to change this chemistry to make sure Noel isn't a threat to snow, Kupo!

Rodelina

Neo Member
But Serah shows no attraction to Noel and Noel only have a hard on for Yeul.

It seems like many people are jumping on the Serah/Noel bandwagon. I haven't seen much love for YuelxNoel come to think of it. I personally think someone like Vanille is a good match for him.
I like Serah and Snow together. Snow's annoying but in an endearing way.
I also wish that "Snow all American action hero" paradox ending was canon...

Just collected all of the Vile Peaks fragments. What an enjoyable side quest that was in comparison to looking for random key items. Made me look forward to the Sazh DLC coming next week.
The Lightning episode they're promising better be epic to compensate for that ending. It must include her first encounter with Mog....

Ciastek3214

The Lightning episode they're promising better be epic to compensate for that ending. It must include her first encounter with Mog....
There is my main problem with gamers nowadays, they want epic, not good, epic. This is like saying "Hey developers! Be lazy, we don't care! We want flashy, boomy, epic stuff happening with epic music."

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
There is my main problem with gamers nowadays, they want epic, not good, epic. This is like saying "Hey developers! Be lazy, we don't care! We want flashy, boomy, epic stuff happening with epic music."

I really don't think semantics is the problem with gamers nowadays.

Ciastek3214

I really don't think semantics is the problem with gamers nowadays.

And I don't think you understood what I wrote. Or maybe I understood you wrong? I just hate lazy developers thinking that memorable moment consists of two things: EPIC music, and main badass doing EPIC stuff. Just that, no effort or substance or anything.

Rodelina

Neo Member

Well this is not quite what I meant; I don't really think in terms of good vs bad epic. Epic vs flashy superficiality as in the last Transformers movie, yes. I prefer the former. I always expect something of substance. Epic is epic which always = good in my book but hey, I majored in premed not linguistics.

Ciastek3214

Well this is not quite what I meant; I don't really think in terms of good vs bad epic. Epic vs flashy superficiality as in the last Transformers movie, yes. I prefer the former. I always expect something of substance. Epic is epic which always = good in my book but hey, I majored in premed not linguistics.

I apologize for thinking you are one of those gamers who thought Mass Effect 2 was bestest game ever because "OMG SUICIDE MISHUHN IS SO EPICZ! SHIP EXPLODIN, TERMINATOR FIGHTIN, AWESOME MUZIK!" and shitting on Mass Effect in spite of it having one of the most memorable moment of this generation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-SAguHgcLw

Esura

Banned
The chemistry the other dude is talking about has arisen due to a time paradox

We must change the future to change this chemistry to make sure Noel isn't a threat to snow, Kupo!
lol

Snow definitely doesn't seem worried about Noel though.

It seems like many people are jumping on the Serah/Noel bandwagon. I haven't seen much love for YuelxNoel come to think of it. I personally think someone like Vanille is a good match for him.

Just collected all of the Vile Peaks fragments. What an enjoyable side quest that was in comparison to looking for random key items. Made me look forward to the Sazh DLC coming next week.
It has to be because quite a few people dislike Snow. Before release I thought there was going to be some drama between Snow/Serah/Noel and Serah starts falling for Noel but nothing happens at all. Serah takes her love for Snow to the grave...literally. Snow doesn't even care that Noel is journeying with her. He know he got Serah whipped. That's Snow for ya. Epic badass.

When I finish Hyperdimension Neptunia I may try to check that ending out.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I remember we had Lightning X Hope and Vanille X Fang for FFXIII.

I vote for Hope and Lightning for XIII-2.

HopexLightning shippers creep me out.

Lightning basically was acting as Hope's mother figure for the whole game and you people want them bump uglies?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ahaha, I think I'm probably one of the few girls out of all the girls I know who doesn't care for Snow at all.

Not a biggie, but the split is rather interesting.

Lightning basically was acting as Hope's mother figure for the whole game and you people want them bump uglies?
Yeah, that's how I looked at their relationship too.

ULTROS!

Ahaha, I think I'm probably one of the few girls out of all the girls I know who doesn't care for Snow at all.

You mean there are a lot of girls who like Snow? o_O

Was it because of his topless scene or something?

I thought it was more of a older sister, little brother relationship, given that ye know Light had just "lost" Serah.

It seemed to me that her way of making it up was to be a good sister to Hope along the way to avenge Serah.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You mean there are a lot of girls who like Snow? o_O

Was it because of his topless scene or something?
lol, girls have different tastes in men so it's possible for a girl our age to like someone like Snow for reasons other than the topless scene.

The Emperor said:
I thought it was more of a older sister, little brother relationship, given that ye know Light had just "lost" Serah.

It seemed to me that her way of making it up was to be a good sister to Hope along the way to avenge Serah.
I think it's a little of Column A and a little of Column B. It's like that from Lightning's perspective, but from Hope's perspective--and given how much he relied on her for half of the game--he probably saw her as a substitute mother figure, or at least a tough and strong adult from whom he could rely on or get advice.

Clearly his mother was important to him since the prequel novel noted that he got along well with his mother but didn't get along well with his father at all (business trips and all that).

i'm not sure they 'll tell on screen that lightning befriended mog over rock paper cissors

ULTROS!

Noel x Caius?

Will feel like that Sora x Riku relationship though.

Wtf am I reading. My mind is full of fuck.

iycfiqokEun8A.gif

K' Dash

The best ending I've seen in a long time, I want more, that's what they wanted and they succeded, I want moar.

Stop trying to explain every fucking little bit of the game and you'll enjoy it, it's a videogame story with time travel plot, don't expect to make sense of everything...

Hope is the man, Noel is the man, I'm hoping for a full sequel instead of DLC.

CorvoSol

There were quite a few missed opportunities based around lore, like how the failed to play up the fal’Cie being slaves to their Foci, just like l’Cie, only worse because they are physically incapable of doing anything outside of completing their focuses.

Could have made two of the villains actually interesting, but that would have involved moral grays so we can’t have that.

They do bring it up, but it’s very one-off.

Eh.

Reasonable stupidity is fine, but the characters in both games are the worst kind of stupid and they make it worse by treating said stupidity as completely acceptable (hell, sometimes even preferable).

It’s sort of a problem I have with some of the dumber JRPGs, where simple and naïve people are treated by the story as the best people ever because god forbid anybody has a nuanced thought in their entire lives.

There used to be moral greyness in FF. In fact, FFXIII would've been a great game to explore that grey morality thing. I always look at FFXIII as FFIII in reverse. The Crystals (Fal'Cie) choose the Light Warriors (L'Cie) to save (destroy) the world and prevent (cause) the coming of a monster (God) to their world to destroy (save) it. Barthandelus would be Xande, and while Maker would be CoD in terms of story, Orphan would be CoD in terms of actual gameplay.

It's a shame they didn't take that and run with it.

Out of curiosity, though, do they mention Maker at all in XIII-2? He was huge in FFXIII, but nowadays the FNC seems to just be ETRO ETRO ETRO ETRO.

Esura

Banned
There used to be moral greyness in FF. In fact, FFXIII would've been a great game to explore that grey morality thing. I always look at FFXIII as FFIII in reverse. The Crystals (Fal'Cie) choose the Light Warriors (L'Cie) to save (destroy) the world and prevent (cause) the coming of a monster (God) to their world to destroy (save) it. Barthandelus would be Xande, and while Maker would be CoD in terms of story, Orphan would be CoD in terms of actual gameplay.

It's a shame they didn't take that and run with it.

Out of curiosity, though, do they mention Maker at all in XIII-2? He was huge in FFXIII, but nowadays the FNC seems to just be ETRO ETRO ETRO ETRO.

FFXIII was a missed opportunity indeed, like Nier. Still loved it though.

They do mention Bhunivelze quite a few times in FFXIII-2. The new Cocoon is called Bhunivelze. Or do they refer to Pulse as the Maker? I'm not sure, because technically, Bhunivelze is the Maker of all the Fal'Cies.

EDIT: Oh snap! I just realized something. Mwynn dies in the Invisible World and Etro takes her place to maintain balance in the world despite lacking Fal'Cie powers like the others, Lindzei and Pulse. So at the end of FFXIII-2, Lightning is essentially doing the exact same thing Etro did for Mwynn. Etro dies, Lighting takes her place to try and maintain balance. Wow...that's actually pretty cool if you think about it. Lightning is so cool. So the world may not be doomed after all. Maybe the Chaos gets sucked back up and turn back to normal after the "to be continued", just with Serah dead and Lighting being a goddess.

Go_Ly_Dow

According to the Fabula Nova Crystallis myth, Bhunivelze hopes to find the door to the invisible world (Valhalla) in order to kill Mwynn, which he thinks will end the expansion of chaos. He is obviously wrong, as chaos eats away at both the visible and invisible worlds and nothing can be done about it. In the myth, Mwynn dies because she is engufled in chaos. Only the goddess Etro remains in the invisible world. Although foolish at first, she pities mankind and places small pieces of chaos within their hearts in order to contain the expansion.

So Bhunivelze, who is apparently the leader of all gods (he was called "Luminous" in XIII), asks Pulse and Lindzei to look for the door of souls in order to find the source of chaos (Mwynn, who he thought wanted to curse Bhunivelze after he tried to kill her) and destroy it. Pulse ("Stout") fashions the earth and sends his fal'Cie after the door, but they will never find it because the door of souls is informal and only opens when a human being dies (Etro opens the door to welcome them into the invisible world). Lindzei ("Sage") is more clever than Pulse, so he understands that, in order to open wide the door of souls, he needs to sacrifice a huge number of humans at the same moment. This is the reason why he builds Cocoon.

In XIII, Cid says Barthandelus wants to recall the gods by destroying Cocoon. Barthandelus was created by Lindzei in order to be the "purveyor of the greater plan", the fal'Cie who would make sure Cocoon gets destroyed in the end. Fal'Cies of Cocoon can't destroy it themselves because their mission is to make sure humanity thrives, so Barthandelus has to find a roundabout way to achieve the destruction. After the War of Transgression, he moves the Pulse Vestige from Oerba to Bodhum inside Cocoon, hoping that Fang and Vanille inside of it would someday awaken and fulfill their mission for good. In the end, it's Lightning and the others who are turned into l'Cie by Anima, but the result is the same.

The destruction of Cocoon would trigger the death of millions of humans and, thus, the opening of a huge door of souls. In Lindzei's plan, it is likely that this event was also meant to awaken him and the other sleeping gods. They would then launch a war on the invisible world, using the living weapons of the Arks. But as one of the Analects says, on the other side of the door they would only find Etro weeping. Etro knows that killing all of mankind would resume the expansion of chaos and lead all things to nothingness.

It's all very well-done, although quite obscure if you don't carefully read the Analects in XIII or the Fabula Nova Crystallis myth.
XIII-2 does a very good job at continuing this story. Everything we learn about Etro, Valhalla and the chaos is consistent with what is told in XIII.

Damn, XIII's story would have been so much better if the focus was on this and wasn't a character focused drama.

Toriyama's clear aim with XIII was to always make it a character focused drama.

Which is baffling considering it was meant to be the flagship title for Fabula Nova Crystallis.

The best way to get people hooked would've been to explore the mythology in detail.

I do wonder who the hell planned the Fabula Nova Crystallis thingy?

I blame Kitase...he's the producer of Type-0, Versus & XIII...he should've spread priorities properly.

Replicant

So if I get that story right, Bhunivelze's attempt to stop Chaos/Mwynn only to cause bigger chaos? What an idiot God. His henchmen (Pulse, Lindzei) are even worse because their plan would just cause chaos to be unleashed even more.

Go_Ly_Dow

So if I get that story right, Bhunivelze's attempt to stop Chaos/Mwynn only to cause bigger chaos? What an idiot God. His henchmen (Pulse, Lindzei) are even worse because their plan would just cause chaos to be unleashed even more.

I don't think he's aware of the chaos thing, and he pursues Mwynn (his mother) out of fear.

More info:

The universe of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series is divided in two — the Mortal World, the realm of the living, and the Unseen World, the realm of the dead. In the beginning, the god Bhunivelze had killed his mother, Mwynn, in order to take full control of the Mortal World for himself. As a result, Mwynn was sent into the Unseen World.

Bhunivelze creates Pulse.
Despite achieving his goal of total control of the Mortal World, Bhunivelze became troubled. He believed that Mwynn had placed a curse on the realm of the living so that it would one day be destroyed. In order to put a stop to the curse Bhunivelze sought to destroy his mother once and for all, but was unable to reach the Unseen World without giving up control of the Mortal World. To find the entrance to the realm of the dead, Bhunivelze created the fal'Cie Pulse, tasked with searching the world for the door to the Unseen World.

Bhunivelze creates Etro, but doesn't give her any powers.
To assist Pulse, Bhunivelze soon after created the fal'Cie Etro, but became distraught to discover that he unknowingly created her in the likeness of Mwynn. As a result, Bhunivelze gave Etro no powers. To replace Etro, Bhunivelze created the fal'Cie Lindzei, tasked with protecting the world and Bhunivelze himself. With the fal'Cie at work, Bhunivelze put himself into a deep crystal sleep, to be awoken only when the door to the Unseen World was found.

Humankind is born out of Etro's blood.
Though Pulse and Lindzei were given a task to fulfill by their creator, Etro became distressed over her lack of power and purpose in the world. Out of despair, Etro killed herself and disappeared from the Mortal World. From Etro's spilled blood, humanity took root and grew. Etro felt a bond with these creatures she unknowingly created, as they, like her, were destined to die.
In the Unseen World, Etro discovered Mwynn being consumed by a strange energy mass known as Chaos, a byproduct of Bhunivelze's creation of the fal'Cie. With her last breath, Mwynn tasked Etro with protecting the balance of the universe, for if the balance between the Visible and Unseen Worlds was to be disrupted, the universe itself would collapse. The death of the Mortal World was not a curse, but in fact, fate.

Mwynn told Etro she must protect the world balance.
Despite this, Etro did not understand what Mwynn had asked of her as she was consumed by the Chaos. Etro became lonely, though she felt affection and pity toward humans, who lived only to die. Etro thus placed a piece of Chaos within each human being, which came to be known as the "heart". So long as humans continue to be born and die, then the universe will remain in balance.
Pulse continued to craft the world as he saw fit, while Lindzei protected the world and crafted the floating paradise of Cocoon for the humans until they one day absconded from the world, never to be seen again. Many of the humans, in turn, worshiped -- and some abhorred -- these fal'Cie as gods. Etro, meanwhile, became known as the Goddess of Death, who waited to greet each human as they passed through the door to the Unseen World.

And Bhunivelze continued to sleep until the end of time.

Video Form

Also it pisses me off that Serah didn't ditch Snow for Noel.

Booo Toriyama. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Replicant

The universe of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series is divided in two — the Mortal World, the realm of the living, and the Unseen World, the realm of the dead. In the beginning, the god Bhunivelze had killed his mother, Mwynn, in order to take full control of the Mortal World for himself. As a result, Mwynn was sent into the Unseen World.

Bhunivelze creates Pulse.
Despite achieving his goal of total control of the Mortal World, Bhunivelze became troubled. He believed that Mwynn had placed a curse on the realm of the living so that it would one day be destroyed. In order to put a stop to the curse Bhunivelze sought to destroy his mother once and for all, but was unable to reach the Unseen World without giving up control of the Mortal World. To find the entrance to the realm of the dead, Bhunivelze created the fal'Cie Pulse, tasked with searching the world for the door to the Unseen World.

Bhunivelze creates Etro, but doesn't give her any powers.
To assist Pulse, Bhunivelze soon after created the fal'Cie Etro, but became distraught to discover that he unknowingly created her in the likeness of Mwynn. As a result, Bhunivelze gave Etro no powers. To replace Etro, Bhunivelze created the fal'Cie Lindzei, tasked with protecting the world and Bhunivelze himself. With the fal'Cie at work, Bhunivelze put himself into a deep crystal sleep, to be awoken only when the door to the Unseen World was found.

Humankind is born out of Etro's blood.
Though Pulse and Lindzei were given a task to fulfill by their creator, Etro became distressed over her lack of power and purpose in the world. Out of despair, Etro killed herself and disappeared from the Mortal World. From Etro's spilled blood, humanity took root and grew. Etro felt a bond with these creatures she unknowingly created, as they, like her, were destined to die.
In the Unseen World, Etro discovered Mwynn being consumed by a strange energy mass known as Chaos, a byproduct of Bhunivelze's creation of the fal'Cie. With her last breath, Mwynn tasked Etro with protecting the balance of the universe, for if the balance between the Visible and Unseen Worlds was to be disrupted, the universe itself would collapse. The death of the Mortal World was not a curse, but in fact, fate.

Mwynn told Etro she must protect the world balance.
Despite this, Etro did not understand what Mwynn had asked of her as she was consumed by the Chaos. Etro became lonely, though she felt affection and pity toward humans, who lived only to die. Etro thus placed a piece of Chaos within each human being, which came to be known as the "heart". So long as humans continue to be born and die, then the universe will remain in balance.
Pulse continued to craft the world as he saw fit, while Lindzei protected the world and crafted the floating paradise of Cocoon for the humans until they one day absconded from the world, never to be seen again. Many of the humans, in turn, worshiped -- and some abhorred -- these fal'Cie as gods. Etro, meanwhile, became known as the Goddess of Death, who waited to greet each human as they passed through the door to the Unseen World.

And Bhunivelze continued to sleep until the end of time.

That makes Bhunivelze 10 times worse! Greedy and idiotic to boot. Can we please kill him at the end of FFXIII-3?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just got 1000/1000 in the Xbox version myself.

The ending....whatever. I have almost zero connection or sympathy for any of the characters or plotting in this universe to give a crap about cliffhanger endings. I actually kinda liked the downer finale, if only because the actual 'happier' events leading up to the shift was droll, sappy, and predictably poor. For a brief moment I actually perked up when the darkness crept in and Lightning looked dead on the throne. The 'secret' ending was hardly worth the effort though.

Surprised by the Paradox endings though, was not expecting those in the post-game. Some of the requirements were actually a bit challenging as well(Serah vs. Caius). In fact, that fight and Yomi were the only encounters to ever really demand much thought reaction in pretty much the entire game. One reason I would give FFXIII the nod still over this game. The endgame of FFXIII with all of the Gran Pulse hunts were a bright note on what was a mostly a dour game experience. XIII-2 needed a hard difficulty setting.

Hopefully whatever DLC is planned will be the end of this travesty.

CorvoSol

FFXIII was a missed opportunity indeed, like Nier. Still loved it though.

They do mention Bhunivelze quite a few times in FFXIII-2. The new Cocoon is called Bhunivelze. Or do they refer to Pulse as the Maker? I'm not sure, because technically, Bhunivelze is the Maker of all the Fal'Cies.

EDIT: Oh snap! I just realized something. Mwynn dies in the Invisible World and Etro takes her place to maintain balance in the world despite lacking Fal'Cie powers like the others, Lindzei and Pulse. So at the end of FFXIII-2, Lightning is essentially doing the exact same thing Etro did for Mwynn. Etro dies, Lighting takes her place to try and maintain balance. Wow...that's actually pretty cool if you think about it. Lightning is so cool. So the world may not be doomed after all. Maybe the Chaos gets sucked back up and turn back to normal after the "to be continued", just with Serah dead and Lighting being a goddess.

I always operate under the belief that Maker is Pulse, because Pulse is the only God not named in FFXIII. Was Pulse really so bad, though? It seems to me that, between Pulse and Lindzei, Pulse was the nicer of the two.

Really, though, it'd be nice to know where all the Gods have gone by the end of the FNC.

I didn't know Muin was Chaos, though. I wonder if she has any relation to THE Chaos of the FF series. If she did, that would mean that, again, everything that went wrong in the FF series could be traced back to Cid Lufaine and Shinryu.

Top Bottom