• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

As cool as it would be for it to be Edgeworth I would actually be pissed because I will have to play AA5 before AAI2 and I won't know any of the ordeals he goes through in that to appreciate his character.

GSR

Who do you think the silhouetted figure is in the AA5 trailer? My money's on Edgeworth. Why else would they disguise him and make such a big deal out of it?

My bet is it's the new prosecutor. If I'm not mistaken they silhouetted Godot in the AA3 trailer way back when and Klavier in the AA4 trailer.

My bet is it's the new prosecutor. If I'm not mistaken they silhouetted Godot in the AA3 trailer way back when and Klavier in the AA4 trailer.

If he's half as awesome as Godot (whose arrival I'd gladly spend my entire life waiting for), he'll be a wonderful replacement.

GSR

RyougaSaotome, I am completely jealous of you right now.

Seriously, this concept art:

tumblr_micuouygSy1rikc2ro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_micuouygSy1rikc2ro3_1280.jpg

GSR

Unused concepts from the final game. But beautiful all the same.

Seeing how much stuff they made that didn't make it in now I can understand why it took so long.

GSR

Doesn't look like there's any AA5 info in Famitsu this week either, so I doubt it'll pop up in the 3rd-party Nintendo Direct. I wonder if the game's having some dev troubles - they've been remarkably silent since TGS.

Refyref

Doesn't look like there's any AA5 info in Famitsu this week either, so I doubt it'll pop up in the 3rd-party Nintendo Direct. I wonder if the game's having some dev troubles - they've been remarkably silent since TGS.

The TGS trailer came up after a long wait since it's announcement too. They are probably just not marketing it until it's ready. I doubt there is anything unusual going on.

FluxWaveZ

Should we have expected any different based on marketing of the previous games?

GSR

The TGS trailer came up after a long wait since it's announcement too. They are probably just not marketing it until it's ready. I doubt there is anything unusual going on.

Well...

Should we have expected any different based on marketing of the previous games?

Going by this, yeah. It's been a long time since AJ so I can't quite recall how the marketing for that shook out, but in AAI's case, a month or two after TGS we started getting Famitsu articles about once a month until its release in May (with some other news like merch and the like as well). In AAI2's case things were even more accelerated because it launched in early February.

AA5 is being done by the same team as the AAI games, so this makes me wonder if they're having a little bit of development trouble between the different gameplay style and the requirements of a 3DS game. Not to mention they've said they're treating the story very carefully and that it's been a bit of a tough shift from writing for Edgeworth to writing for Phoenix.

I'm just hoping it doesn't pull a PLvsAA where we go a whole year between TGSes with no new info.

GSR

To be fair we didn't hear much about Layton vs Ace Attorney for awhile either

True, but that was a collaboration effort between Level-5 and Capcom, and the creators have said it was a pretty tough slog as a result. I'd expect a standard AA game to not go through quite as much trouble.

But I'm probably just over-worrying here. Like I said, as long as it doesn't pull a PLvsAA and drop a pair of year-long info droughts on us in quick succession I'll be happy. Though if they're silent even now I can't see a release earlier than summer (unless Capcom pushes it forward to dodge MH4.)

BlackJace

True, but that was a collaboration effort between Level-5 and Capcom, and the creators have said it was a pretty tough slog as a result. I'd expect a standard AA game to not go through quite as much trouble.

But I'm probably just over-worrying here. Like I said, as long as it doesn't pull a PLvsAA and drop a pair of year-long info droughts on us in quick succession I'll be happy. Though if they're silent even now I can't see a release earlier than summer (unless Capcom pushes it forward to dodge MH4.)

I wonder how much effort and resources it takes to develop Ace Attorney games.

FluxWaveZ

I wonder how much effort and resources it takes to develop Ace Attorney games.

I imagine this particular title would take quite the development effort compared to the previous games with the switch to (high quality) 3D models, dynamic camera during court scenes and voice acting. Kinda like the upgrade from 999 to Virtue's Last Reward.

BlackJace

I imagine this particular title would take quite the development effort compared to the previous games with the switch to (high quality) 3D models, dynamic camera during court scenes and voice acting. Kinda like the upgrade from 999 to Virtue's Last Reward.

Very true. Looks to be very ambitious at that.

Do we know for sure that the game is slated for 2013 in Japan?

Yup. They announced it at TGS last year. Nothing more specific than '2013' though.

Hmm, well if we get through TGS 2013 and still hear nothing then I'll raise the panic bell, until then I'll just be glad I'm not getting a magazine scan each month to hype me for a game I won't be playing till 2014

GSR

Capcom made an Ace Attorney gem matching game by the name of "Turnabout Puzzle: Substitution Turnabout" for phones in Japan.

I would have cried if someone made a thread titled "New Ace Attorney game announced" before I saw this.

What? Why on earth is Siliconera covering this now? This came out like, two years ago.

Also, I put decent odds on AA5 showing up at Capcom's PAX panel this month as one of the 'unannounced titles'. They've said they're going to localize it, but it's yet to get a full name or permanent title, so I think they might pull it out there.

FluxWaveZ

What? Why on earth is Siliconera covering this now? This came out like, two years ago.

Also, I put decent odds on AA5 showing up at Capcom's PAX panel this month as one of the 'unannounced titles'. They've said they're going to localize it, but it's yet to get a full name or permanent title, so I think they might pull it out there.

Oh wow, it's that old, huh.

And I'd like to be optimistic about the PAX announcement, but I'm not sure AA5 would really count as an unannounced title, especially since they already said they plan to release AA5 in North America.

FluxWaveZ

Double post, but I guess in a next edition of non-news from Siliconera:
In response to a Capcom forum user asking if an Ace Attorney collection on the Nintendo 3DS would be possible, Svensson replied: “I have proposed this many times over the past two years… no news yet though. Hang in there.”

An AA collection could maybe be a way of working in an Investigations 2 NA release, if it would even be possible to fit in all 6 games into a 3DS cart.

GSR

They could do it pretty easily. 3DS carts are 1-4GB, if I'm not mistaken, and the largest AA games are 64 MB, I think. It's more a question of them putting in the resources to make such a collection in the first place.

cjkeats

I'd rather them get the HD versions out first than stuff all 4(I believe in Apollo) non updated ones a a single cart.

I'd still buy it all because I love this series so much.

GSR

AA5 article in Famitsu showcasing Apollo. Haven't seen pictures myself yet, but he's apparently got bandages and a new jacket.

FluxWaveZ

AA5 article in Famitsu showcasing Apollo. Haven't seen pictures myself yet, but he's apparently got bandages and a new jacket.

AW SHIT. But really, I think they needed to have Apollo in there. He got demoted to a secondary character in his own game and this takes place after AA4, so it'd kinda suck to not have him be there.

Fey

Banned

whaaaaaat.
so glad to hear apollo is in this.

i'll admit, my first thought when reading the description (bandage + new jacket) was gumshoe and for a second i thought apollo would be the new detective.

789shadow

Banned
Honestly, it never would have made sense to completely ignore AA4, since, you know, PHOENIX NOW HAS A DAUGHTER AND APOLLO IS HER HALF BROTHER.

I'm happy he's coming back, but I hope he's not as much as a loser this time. I mean, seriously; did he solve even 1 case without any external help?

Case 1:
Forged evidence from Phoenix Wright.

Case 2:
Trucy faking a kidnapping to buy more time.

Case 3:
Klavier basically solving the case for him (no thanks to the worst defendant ever).

Case 4:
Magical wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey computer and surprise implementation of a new justice system by Phoenix Wright.

I liked him as a character though, so hopefully he'll get his long-deserved time to shine.

Top Bottom