• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Doing a replay of this series and just finished AA1.

I'd said before that my favorite case of that game was 1-4, because of its importance and relevance to the story, and it's still awesome (
cross examinating the parrot!
), but goddamn at that 1-5.
The part where you think Ema really killed the man and the game runs with it for a while is fantastic.
I love the struggle that Lana had to go through in the defendant's chair. Also, Gant rules. I'd probably rank it just above 1-4 now. That whole game really is awesome though.

Now I'll have to slog through the mediocre 2-1 through 2-3, but I'm excited to play 2-4 again, since that's one of - if not the best case in the series, and I've only done it once.

While I'd agree that AA2 has the weakest cases in the series (barring 2-4, of course), on a recent replay, I found that 2-2 is actually pretty enjoyable. Sets up
Morgan's role in AA3 quite well
, Pearl gets introduced for the first time, and the twist in the case was actually a bit surprising. If anything, I'd say that the only thing that drags it down for me is Franziska, who's pretty much unremarkable there aside from the very end of the trial.

Bulzeeb

this thread reminded me how much I'd love a game compilation for 3DS it would be great to build some hype before the release of Ace Attorney 5, heck they should release the games in the 3DS e-shop, i know I'll buy them =/

rekameohs

Banned
While I'd agree that AA2 has the weakest cases in the series (barring 2-4, of course), on a recent replay, I found that 2-2 is actually pretty enjoyable. Sets up
Morgan's role in AA3 quite well
, Pearl gets introduced for the first time, and the twist in the case was actually a bit surprising. If anything, I'd say that the only thing that drags it down for me is Franziska, who's pretty much unremarkable there aside from the very end of the trial.

Obviously I'll see what I think after I play it again, but I remember feeling very indifferent toward that case, but it's nice that it makes such a big comeback in 3-5. It's good for the story elements, and it's important in making 3-5 such a brilliant one, but I can't really remember any big "moments" in the trials of that case off the top of my head, and that's where the best moments need to happen.

Ignoring tutorial cases: AA1 has
April was with someone else at the hotel in Case 2, Cody saw the Steel Samurai lose in Case 3
and the aforementioned ones in Case 4 and 5.

Pearl is awesome, though. I will grant the case that for introducing her.

DukeBobby

Obviously I'll see what I think after I play it again, but I remember feeling very indifferent toward that case, but it's nice that it makes such a big comeback in 3-5. It's good for the story elements, and it's important in making 3-5 such a brilliant one, but I can't really remember any big "moments" in the trials of that case off the top of my head, and that's where the best moments need to happen.

April was with someone else at the hotel in Case 2, Cody saw the Steel Samurai lose in Case 3

Finding out in case 2-2 that
it was Ini Miney who died in the car accident, not Mimi
was a pretty 'big' moment, in my opinion.

Marche90

this thread reminded me how much I'd love a game compilation for 3DS it would be great to build some hype before the release of Ace Attorney 5, heck they should release the games in the 3DS e-shop, i know I'll buy them =/

The AAHD trilogy... shame it's only for iOS. Would love to see it in the eShop as well, but, I know that that will not happen.

HardRojo

Finally beat AA3 and Miles Edgeworth this week.
I have to say these 2 games represent to me why the series is so great.
If I were to rank what i've played I'd put them in this order.

3, ME, 1, 2

I'm about to play 4 but I don't hold very much hope since everyone seems to agree that 4 and 2 are the worse of the bunch.

Talking about Miles Edgeworth, seriously aside from sales I can't believe Capcom is never going to bring that game over (Sure they said they might but that's the biggest load of bull i've ever read). Were the sales really that bad in the US and EU? Would have thought they'd at least do a limited release like they did with the rest of the games aside from 1.

I recently replayed the original trilogy while I'm waiting for my copy of Apollo Justice to arrive this weekend.
Apollo Justice is a good game, it's got good music and the difficulty, story and crazy twists are up there with the other games, the problem was turning Phoenix into a hobo for no apparent reason but I'm glad that'll be fixed(?) in AA5.
I think I agree with your order of preference here, I found AAI like a good attempt at mixing things up a little bit but man... that last case felt like it took forever, they kept dragging it when I thought it'd be over already.

Pearl is awesome, though. I will grant the case that for introducing her.

Fair enough. The only big twist in 2-2 is the one
involving the truth behind Ini and the accident.

That twist you mentioned in 1-3 is probably one of my favorite in the series. I think that was the point in the game where I realized I was playing something special.

rekameohs

Banned
That twist you mentioned in 1-3 is probably one of my favorite in the series. I think that was the point in the game where I realized I was playing something special.

I felt exactly the same way. The writers / localization team for this series is just phenomenal.

GSR

Finished PLvsAA last night. Overall it was a very good game, though I still need some time to fully gather my thoughts on it.

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is that the presentation is just phenomenal. Having just finished replaying AAI2 a few weeks before, it was just a huge shift, both in terms of graphics/animations and audio.

The game also felt like a natural evolution of the court segments in a lot of ways, and I'm looking forward to seeing if AA5 can match that feeling.

Also: holy shit is the last case long. From the start of the final trial to the end it took me about 6 hours. Granted that's with my Japanese reading speed/taking photos for later blogging, so chop an hour or two off, but still.

Do you think if PWvsPL is already released in Japan that if Level 5 was doing a localization that they would at the very least announce that one is coming?

GSR

Do you think if PWvsPL is already released in Japan that if Level 5 was doing a localization that they would at the very least announce that one is coming?

Not necessarily. The older PL games didn't have localizations announced until well after their JP release (Miracle Mask was the exception since it was a 3DS launch title so they showed off a very early version back at E3 2010).

My guess is that we'll see PLvsAA late next year, following the one-a-year Layton localization schedule. That also works on Capcom's end, since I'm guessing we won't see AA5 stateside until early 2014.

Not necessarily. The older PL games didn't have localizations announced until well after their JP release (Miracle Mask was the exception since it was a 3DS launch title so they showed off a very early version back at E3 2010).

My guess is that we'll see PLvsAA late next year, following the one-a-year Layton localization schedule. That also works on Capcom's end, since I'm guessing we won't see AA5 stateside until early 2014.

This makes the most sense, Fall 2013 PLvsAA, Spring 2014 AA5, Fall 2014 PL6

At least that better happen, I've been enjoying my yearly dose of Layton!

Zornica

Banned
Finished PLvsAA last night. Overall it was a very good game, though I still need some time to fully gather my thoughts on it.

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is that the presentation is just phenomenal. Having just finished replaying AAI2 a few weeks before, it was just a huge shift, both in terms of graphics/animations and audio.

The game also felt like a natural evolution of the court segments in a lot of ways, and I'm looking forward to seeing if AA5 can match that feeling.

Also: holy shit is the last case long. From the start of the final trial to the end it took me about 6 hours. Granted that's with my Japanese reading speed/taking photos for later blogging, so chop an hour or two off, but still.

thanks for your impressions
would you say this game caters more towards the layton or the AA audience? also how is the story overall? has it the usual shu takumi kick to it?
the lack of pl vs aa OT and impressions on gaf is somehow disturbing...

Milamber

It's been 5 years now since I played the first 3 AA games back to back. Can't even remember the last 6 cases. Time to replay them again to relive the nostalgia.

I just gotta remember where I put my DS phat.

GSR

thanks for your impressions
would you say this game caters more towards the layton or the AA audience? also how is the story overall? has it the usual shu takumi kick to it?
the lack of pl vs aa OT and impressions on gaf is somehow disturbing...

I'd say it 'caters' towards both, though ultimately I felt the AA halves were a bit stronger/had more put into them, largely because there's so many new little touches in them, whereas the Layton segments are pretty much the same as always, just with Phoenix and Maya tagging along.

The story is pretty strong overall, though I wouldn't call it as strong as, say, Ghost Trick, and the final trial has some pacing problems. There is a tweest.

I meant to do an OT for this but it didn't pan out. Assuming I'm more free when (if) an English release happens I'll probably do that one (assuming someone else can do graphics; my Layton 4 OT was basically bordered text over the official art).

BlackJace

I'd say it 'caters' towards both, though ultimately I felt the AA halves were a bit stronger/had more put into them, largely because there's so many new little touches in them, whereas the Layton segments are pretty much the same as always, just with Phoenix and Maya tagging along.

The story is pretty strong overall, though I wouldn't call it as strong as, say, Ghost Trick, and the final trial has some pacing problems. There is a tweest.

I meant to do an OT for this but it didn't pan out. Assuming I'm more free when (if) an English release happens I'll probably do that one (assuming someone else can do graphics; my Layton 4 OT was basically bordered text over the official art).

It is recommendable though, right?

I'm 13 hours in, just began the second witch trial, the
Golden Witch Trial.
I'm having a HUGE amount of fun with the game. I've never played a Layton title before, but I think I'm going to miss solving puzzles for my evidence when part 5 is released. I'm also wondering if the emotionscope thingy is going to be able to outdo the
multi-witness system
here.

Maybe I'm being premature, but I remember hearing about some free post-game DLC? Has that been released yet?

GSR

I'm 13 hours in, just began the second witch trial, the
Golden Witch Trial.
I'm having a HUGE amount of fun with the game. I've never played a Layton title before, but I think I'm going to miss solving puzzles for my evidence when part 5 is released. I'm also wondering if the emotionscope thingy is going to be able to outdo the
multi-witness system
here.

Maybe I'm being premature, but I remember hearing about some free post-game DLC? Has that been released yet?

Yeah, the multi-witness thing is so fun that AA5's going to feel a little plain when it goes back to just one witness. (I wouldn't consider said system a spoiler since they've bandied it about since they first started giving us solid info on the game.)

The DLC is coming out soon, but they haven't announced a release date yet.

I just finished the second witch trial. MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD. DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU'VE PLAYED THE GAME, OR YOU'LL REGRET IT. I'M SERIOUS.

NOOOOOOO MAYOI!!!!! Well I know they won't really kill her off, but still. (And I think the way Naruhodo screamed her name wasn't very well done). And Argray's story too! So tragic!

GSR

I just finished the second witch trial. MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD. DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU'VE PLAYED THE GAME, OR YOU'LL REGRET IT. I'M SERIOUS.

NOOOOOOO MAYOI!!!!! Well I know they won't really kill her off, but still. (And I think the way Naruhodo screamed her name wasn't very well done). And Argray's story too! So tragic!

Hehe. The ends of chapters 3 and 4 are such whammies, even though
you know they'd never actually kill Layton/Maya off.
Can't wait to see the wide reactions to them.

And yeah,
Patras kind of got the short end of the stick, didn't she? One of the more tragic 'villains' in the series (even though she didn't actually kill anyone).

Watching the first hour of both Layton and Wright's gameplay has gotten me super hyped for PLvsAA.... Hopefully the rumors of 2013 western release is true...

Now all I have to do is track down the AA games and play them all (I'm a horrible person, I know.) There was talk of that HD collection coming to Android devices in addition to iOS, but Capcom seems to have forgotten all about the iOS release, so I've given up hope on an Android release. :(

Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZCzFhbzQTU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnXkfWXHmwg

PLvsAA has some HAMAZING music!

Zornica

Banned
Watching the first hour of both Layton and Wright's gameplay has gotten me super hyped for PLvsAA
wanna share that url? :7

I am not a fan of orchestrated music that gets orchestrated just for the sake of it, but here it's kinda fiting thanks to the medival theme.
i still vastly prefere the original mit chiptuney versions though

I'm in the middle of the last case now, and I'm having trouble understanding one of the main points of the investigation. Specifically, what's the big deal with
the footprints going up the belltower? Meromero from the vigilante corps leaves footprints with very pointed shoes, and the 4th member of the corps saw the footprints going up the tower and didn't report them, because he thought they belonged to Meromero and not the intruder. You can tell that they're not Meromero's because the toes of those footprints are more rounded than her boots, and Meromero specifically affirms that those footprints are not hers during that very cross-examination. So why didn't the 4th member report those footprints to his commander? He really didn't realize that those weren't Meromero's? And there was something about how there were at first sharp-toed footprints going up, and later round-toed footprints followed those footprints exactly while climbing the belltower.
Later on, when you question Jodra about being the one who carried Mahone up the belltower, the footprints are again used to prove something, but I'm not sure how it proved Jodra carried Mahone. I'm only at the part where you tell the court magic doesn't exist, so please don't explain anything beyond that.

EDIT:pLvsAA spoilers above

GSR

I'm in the middle of the last case now, and I'm having trouble understanding one of the main points of the investigation. Specifically, what's the big deal with
the footprints going up the belltower? Meromero from the vigilante corps leaves footprints with very pointed shoes, and the 4th member of the corps saw the footprints going up the tower and didn't report them, because he thought they belonged to Meromero and not the intruder. You can tell that they're not Meromero's because the toes of those footprints are more rounded than her boots, and Meromero specifically affirms that those footprints are not hers during that very cross-examination. So why didn't the 4th member report those footprints to his commander? He really didn't realize that those weren't Meromero's? And there was something about how there were at first sharp-toed footprints going up, and later round-toed footprints followed those footprints exactly while climbing the belltower.
Later on, when you question Jodra about being the one who carried Mahone up the belltower, the footprints are again used to prove something, but I'm not sure how it proved Jodra carried Mahone. I'm only at the part where you tell the court magic doesn't exist, so please don't explain anything beyond that.

EDIT:pLvsAA spoilers above

That part confused me too. I think what happened was
Madalla's shoes are close enough to Meromero's that the guard didn't realize the difference. Then when Jordolla went up with Mahoney, she stepped where Madalla did. Not 100% sure why that proves Jordolla was carrying Mahoney, though, I'd have to replay it.
Also, my Japanese is far from perfect, so take all this with a bit of salt.

GSR

I read that the free dlc for PLvAA will consist of 12 episodes. isn't that like giving out 3 whole games for free?

I doubt they mean "episode" in the AA meaning of the term. More likely these'll be fairly brief scenes with a few puzzles interspersed. Maybe a court segment striped out over a couple.

GSR

First DLC episode for PLvsAA is up. It's very short (~10 minutes) with 1 puzzle. However there were allusions to a trial coming up, so it's still possible future eps will take place in court.

GSR

So the first concept art gallery DLC is up, and, uh,

tumblr_mf8t1k3g541rm5fceo1_1280.jpg

Those are magnificent, Gentlemanly Layton is either amazing or terrifying.
I really like how Wright and Maya translated to the Layton style.

HardRojo

I need to write an Ace Attorney article for a local VG magazine, it needs to cover all the games and the story up to Investigations 1 (Will mention Investigations 2 briefly but cut it short since it hasn't been released overseas yet), I might need to write a preview of PLvsAA and mention the few details we know so far about Ace Attorney 5 too.

Simply put, what are the most important things regarding the story, mechanics, characters, etc that one should mention in this kind of article? There are so many things to mention that I don't know where to begin, Attorney GAF please help!

I need to write an Ace Attorney article for a local VG magazine, it needs to cover all the games and the story up to Investigations 1 (Will mention Investigations 2 briefly but cut it short since it hasn't been released overseas yet), I might need to write a preview of PLvsAA and mention the few details we know so far about Ace Attorney 5 too.

Simply put, what are the most important things regarding the story, mechanics, characters, etc that one should mention in this kind of article? There are so many things to mention that I don't know where to begin, Attorney GAF please help!

Read the OP for Beef's and my summaries ;)

GSR

Got bored, so here's a ton of AA5 speculation.

Marketing/release speculation:
  • I would guess a late spring/early summer release in Japan, going off past releases. I don't remember the details of AJ's marketing, but it didn't really get shown off until TGS, then it released in April. Similar deal with AAI, except that was May. AAI2 broke that pattern, but AAI2 also didn't have the developments shifts AJ or AAI1 did (first game for the DS from ground up for AJ, shift in gameplay style for AAI). Early 2014 in America/Europe.
  • As for more info about the game, I'd expect another Famitsu article in the next month or two. AAI2 was sort of unusual in how often we got media on it (by this time for AAI2 we had a second big trailer with voice acting and all the major characters); I'm guessing we'll see a much slower drip for AA5. At earliest, we could see something next week, since there's already a promised large Capcom project in that issue, but I wouldn't put money on it.
  • That said, said drips will include at least some returning characters. My money's on Ema remaining the detective for the game and getting revealed along with the prosecutor; Apollo and Trucy might be supporting characters like Shigaraki in AAI2 and get shown later.

Case one:
  • Case one will have a victim, in spite of the evidence from the demo saying there were no casualties. The TGS demo ended with Shinobu remembering (through the magic of the Heart Scope (wow that sounds like a lead-in to a Magical Girl anime))
    a security guard who was pushing her out of the way of falling rubble. My guess is that the guard was killed by the rubble instead, but his body hadn't been found by the time case one starts
    . This thus provides the requisite murder charge for an AA case.
  • Barashima will be the bomber (duh), but he'll have been egged into it by an outside force.
  • Payne's brother will either be said outside force, or at the very least try and get away with using forged evidence in Shinobu's trial.
  • Apollo was the defense attorney in the trial that got blown up. In the coming months we'll see bits of him in other cases as support, but when the game comes out he'll turn out to be a witness in case one.
  • The prosecutor in the trial that got blown up will be the main prosecutor for the game. This is going off of the anime scene still of the silhouette in tatters in the courtroom; it kind of reminds me of the prosecutor silhouette at the end of the trailer. Phoenix solving the case will pique his or her interest in him.

Later cases:
  • While we're on the subject of the prosecutor, I'm guessing new character and not Apollo/Yumihiko/Old!Edgeworth as has been speculated. Nothing really to back me up here other than tradition, but I don't think they'd use such a major character role on a returning character.
  • Later cases will have some returning characters, but more on the level of AA2 or AA3, not the cameo-fest that was AAI and AAI2. I'm guessing a few AJ characters and a few original trilogy characters. I would not be surprised to see Larry again, completely unchanged in looks. I would be surprised to see Maya, though - call me crazy, but I think they're going to let her lie. Dunno about Edgeworth. Klavier'll probably pop up. No idea about AAI characters.
  • I'm going to guess 5 cases here, but that's just a guess. It honestly depends on how much development time Capcom's giving the team. If this is the case, I'd imagine at least one case is played partially or wholly as either Kokone or Apollo.
  • There'll be a strong overarching story, though it won't be like AAI2 where literally every case winds up being a key part of the main story. More like AA3 or AJ.

So yeah. Basically, we need more info on this game, and we need it now.

FluxWaveZ

In other news, I just finished watching the movie. I really enjoyed it.

I had seen it just recently as well. Aside from some modifications they made from the game that I wasn't too happy with such as completely changing Redd White's character, I enjoyed it too. How an elaborate, technological device was used to represent how the evidence is presented in court was a great touch.

Artemisia

Banned
HOLY FUCK I HAD NO IDEA THIS EXISTED

ib1IHgcEx5klIp.gif

THIS IS MY FAVORITE GAME SERIES EVER

ib1IHgcEx5klIp.gif

I NEED ACE ATTORNEY 5 AND PWvPL IN MY LIFE YESTERDAY

ib1IHgcEx5klIp.gif

Top Bottom