• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

if i play US R:FOM on Japanese PS3, i wont get blood?

llTll

Banned
ok i am not sure if even R:FOM has blood

but i have japanese ps3 and japanese R:FOM set in english language. and i see no blood.

however. assuming the US version has blood [ if it doesnt, please someone tell me lloll ] and if i play this game on japanese PS3, will i get blood or not?

llTll said:
ok wtf. why ?

even if i buy US Resistance?

That's a "feature." Different region consoles can "safely" run the gimped localization off the same disc. There's a lot of gore missing from Untold Legends if you run it on a Japanese ps3 too. When sony said region-free on games, it was only half of a lie. You can run them, but you're getting whatever that region censored.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
SaggyMonkey said:
yeah but they don't gush any blood when you shoot them. :(

Glad to see some clarification on the gore in Resistance. I was wondering what was going on when you'd get the blood-on-the-camera effect, but no gore when you shoot anyone. That sucks. I hope they make the servers worldwide, too, at the least.

Lyte Edge said:
Glad to see some clarification on the gore in Resistance. I was wondering what was going on when you'd get the blood-on-the-camera effect, but no gore when you shoot anyone. That sucks. I hope they make the servers worldwide, too, at the least.

Yeah i found the hard way with the Japanese ps3. I think the "blood on camera effect" is supposed to be dirt in Japan..

llTll

Banned
SaggyMonkey said:
That's a "feature." Different region consoles can "safely" run the gimped localization off the same disc. There's a lot of gore missing from Untold Legends if you run it on a Japanese ps3 too. When sony said region-free on games, it was only half of a lie. You can run them, but you're getting whatever that region censored.

well,, if there is no way to get away with this, i am f%%%d lol

ZombieSupaStar said:
um, is there some problem with blood in games now in japan?

It only really recently happened.

Goddamn Grand Theft Auto always ****s shit up for everyone no matter what region it exists in .

Back on topic : I usually thought blood / gore thats usually in North American rated M games are pretty much a-okay in Japan as long as the blood / gore is coming from non-human characters.

And blood is okay in humans as well, the only thing that is censored is beheadings. Seriously, anybody know why Japan is going all Jack Thompson on us?

C- Warrior said:
It only really recently happened.

Goddamn Grand Theft Auto always ****s shit up for everyone no matter what region it exists in .

Back on topic : I usually thought blood / gore thats usually in North American rated M games are pretty much a-okay in Japan as long as the blood / gore is coming from non-human characters.

And blood is okay in humans as well, the only thing that is censored is beheadings. Seriously, anybody know why Japan is going all Jack Thompson on us?

wow,

insomniac shoulda just inserted 18 *cough12cough* year olds getting humped by mutant plants.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
This sucks so bad it's not even funny. Please Insomniac patch this too :/ Make it parental code dependant.

hirokazu

SaggyMonkey said:

that's actually really cool, if you ask me :p

Bebpo

Banned
TTP said:
This sucks so bad it's not even funny. Please Insomniac patch this too :/ Make it parental code dependant.

Would be cool if they could just patch in a "blood on/off" "hero moments on/off" switch and disable the auto-forcing of "off" on Japanese hardware. Heck, make it a code if they have to.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i do not want my PS3 to be a CERO regulated gimp box...

Why is this happening?

Traders 2 is a store that shows that Japan is a confused place - they hide the CERO Z rated games away (they remain Z rated even with stuff removed!) , yet the child pr0n/violent r@pe DVDs are there for everyone to see right next to the import games. :/

I dread to see what the CERO mangler does to Gears Of War! lol.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bebpo said:
Would be cool if they could just patch in a "blood on/off" "hero moments on/off" switch and disable the auto-forcing of "off" on Japanese hardware. Heck, make it a code if they have to.

I just tried Resistance japanese retail version on my test unit and:

a) It works (contrary to my understanding that only review/preview codes would run on the test unit).
b) Blood is indeed in there as well as hero moments (test unit region is set to "United States")
c) If I copy my saved game (from the Japanese unit) on the test unit, I get everything I unlocked but the game starts in "Japanese no-blood mode".
d) Couldn't check online mode cos I cannot get past the license agreement page during the PlayStation Network registation process (cannot move the pointer to "I Agree" or whatever).

Lee N

Membre
This makes you curious about the European unit. It is really common that the entire Europe gets shafted to satisfy the needs of the bigger countries in Europe (Germany, France, Spain, etc) and we all know how Germany likes their censorship.

Will the US PS3 become the only non-gimped unit?

Bebpo

Banned
TTP said:
c) If I copy my saved game (from the Japanese unit) on the test unit, I get everything I unlocked but the game starts in "Japanese no-blood mode".

Woah. You may have just found the secret workaround for import gamers.

This could mean that the no-blood/no-heromoments switch is only set once at the start when you create your system save based off the region of the hardware.

Thus the work-around for those with a JPN system might be to download a US save and load it up.

Does anyone know where I could download a US clear save for Resistance? I'll try it right away if anyone does and if it does indeed bring the blood back, it'll be interesting to test Untold Legends and see if it's setup the same way.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i remember John TV saying that JPN saves didn't work on a retail US machine and vice versa. :/

that would suck :(

Bebpo

Banned
TTP said:
I just tried Resistance japanese retail version on my test unit and:

a) It works (contrary to my understanding that only review/preview codes would run on the test unit).
b) Blood is indeed in there as well as hero moments (test unit region is set to "United States")
d) Couldn't check online mode cos I cannot get past the license agreement page during the PlayStation Network registation process (cannot move the pointer to "I Agree" or whatever).

How did you get it to recognize your foreign save file?

I just tested this extensively with a US save file on a JPN PS3 with JPN Resistance and here are my findings:

The save folders are called:
BCJS30003_PROFILE <-JPN profile
BCUS98107_PROFILE <- US profile

Each folder is made up of four files:
ICON0.png <- picture file for save
PARAM.PFD <- some sort of system thing
PARAM.SFO <- some sort of system thing
PROFILE.SAV <- your actual save

1. Simply copying US folder and deleting JPN one so only US is sitting there = Completely ignored, creates new JPN save when you start.

2. JPN save folder with US files replacing JPN ones = corrupted data when viewed in XMB

3. JPN save folder with JPN .png/.pfd/.sfo & US profile.sav = works and is recognized by XMB and game at boot, but game data is non-existant and when you start level 1 the game says "data is corrupted" and lets you play anyhow but still no blood.

4. JPN save folder with JPN files, but US .sfo = corrupted data when viewed in XMB

5. JPN save folder with JPN files, but US.PFD = XMB reads it but when you try to copy it you get "copy error blah blah blah" and won't copy.

6. US save folder with US files, but JPN profile.save = ignores it and creates JPN save like #1.

So those are my findings and they seem to indicate that JPN Resistance can't read US saves and so were just screwed in terms of no blood.

Bebpo

Banned
The only glimmer of hope I can think of is that from what you said and what I said it seems that:

-A JPN Resistance game can recognize a JPN Resistance save on a US region machine and keep the JPN region settings.

Which if reversable would mean that:

-A US Resistance game can recognize a US Resistance save on a JPN region machine and keep the US settings.

I'll have to borrow my friends US copy of the game and see if that works. Doubtful, but if it does it should mean not only getting the blood back, but getting access to US servers as well...

consoul

Bepbo, have you looked at the contents of the PARAM.SFO files?

Chances are the game id codes (BCJS30003 and BCUS98107) are inside those files as well. If you edit the US folder name and and the game ID reference inside its PARAM.SFO file to match the Japanese ID, it may not come up as corrupt.

Bebpo

Banned
consoul said:
Bepbo, have you looked at the contents of the PARAM.SFO files?

Chances are the game id codes (BCJS30003 and BCUS98107) are inside those files as well. If you edit the US folder name and and the game ID reference inside its PARAM.SFO file to match the Japanese ID, it may not come up as corrupt.

Yeah, the name of the folder is in the SFO file, but even when you change that to match the folder name it still comes up as corrupt data :\

consoul

Damn. Worth a try.

The blood I can live without, but knowing I'm missing the "hero moments" is hurting. I almost wish I hadn't read this thread.

Acosta

Thanks for trying Bebpo, worth a look indeed. Maybe the key is that the final retail version is not like the test version (possibly the test version is not made for any region).

Well, this sucks. I could pass without blood, but playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma or God of War 3 without being able to decapitate enemies is going to be horrible.

Bebpo

Banned
Gaijin To Ronin said:
Thanks for trying Bebpo, worth a look indeed. Maybe the key is that the final retail version is not like the test version (possibly the test version is not made for any region).

Well, this sucks. I could pass without blood, but playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma or God of War 3 without being able to decapitate enemies is going to be horrible.

I wouldn't give up hope yet. Realistically it makes sense that games would only read saves from an identical version (region-wise). It's still possible that for games that are censored in Japan, you'll just be able to buy the US version and then load up a US starting save and you'll have an uncensored US version.

Also this only affects the games that are trying to cram multiple region versions on 1 disc. Honestly, I expect this mainly in early soft when both JPN/US versions are coming out at the same time. Once games like GoW start coming out, it's likely there will be months in-between and the two will be totally different discs. In those cases it'd be pointless to implement the region-censoring since you wouldn't assume anyone outside the US would be buying the US version.

Acosta

Bebpo said:
I wouldn't give up hope yet. Realistically it makes sense that games would only read saves from an identical version (region-wise). It's still possible that for games that are censored in Japan, you'll just be able to buy the US version and then load up a US starting save and you'll have an uncensored US version.

Also this only affects the games that are trying to cram multiple region versions on 1 disc. Honestly, I expect this mainly in early soft when both JPN/US versions are coming out at the same time. Once games like GoW start coming out, it's likely there will be months in-between and the two will be totally different discs. In those cases it'd be pointless to implement the region-censoring since you wouldn't assume anyone outside the US would be buying the US version.

Have we done the test with an american copy in a japanese machine?

And yes, I think so. But it would be a missed chance if developers doen´t profit the region free feature to develop the game with english and japanese content. I think it could save time if both languages were implemented at same time.

llTll

Banned
Bebpo said:

thats what i am banking on.

i hope this is the case as i can live without blood in Resistence for now. but god knows about future games.

but what is the " hero " moment thing?

consoul

It certainly does seem reasonable that transferring a save file originally created on a US PS3 for JP Resistance to a JP PS3 could allow all features to remain intact.

I really hope that works.

Top Bottom