• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 64 on VC: Framerate improved?

SpoDaddy

I keep hearing reports that the VC release of Mario Kart 64 has an improved framerate over the N64 original. The original did chug quite a bit in 4 player split-screen, anyone notice an improvement in the VC port? I'll pay $10 for a smooth 30fps 4 player MK64...

mrkgoo

I honestly can't remember Mario KArt 64 having framerate issues. But then, I played Goldeneye and Perfect Dark a lot too, and thought they were fine - back in the day whne I didn't care.

What I want to know is if bowsers castle speed on three player (and a number of others) is still super fast. GOd, that made the game so cool.

mrkgoo said:
I honestly can't remember Mario KArt 64 having framerate issues. But then, I played Goldeneye and Perfect Dark a lot too, and thought they were fine - back in the day whne I didn't care.

What I want to know is if bowsers castle speed on three player (and a number of others) is still super fast. GOd, that made the game so cool.

I wasn't too sensitive to framerate back in the day either but I think it even chugged during the score results in Grand Prix.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
EphemeralDream said:
I wasn't too sensitive to framerate back in the day either but I think it even chugged during the score results in Grand Prix.
god knows I demand my score results at 60+ fps

bengraven

Branduil said:
The framerate is smooth and it's higher-res.

But it's still not a great game.

Sorry, it is a great game. And a smoother framerate and high res textures can only make it better.

Branduil

bengraven said:
Sorry, it is a great game. And a smoother framerate and high res textures can only make it better.

I'd rather play MK DS. It's not a bad game, I just don't find it to be the best Mario Karting for your money.

The framerate has definitely been improved, though for some reason on multiplayer Moo Moo Farm it goes really, really fast.

Pud

Banned
I've gotten some frame droppage in some 4-player situations. Moo Moo Farm (and Skyscraper-which went too fast in the original on 4P) go really fast though. So perhaps we're just remembering wrong? Or maybe they smoothed it out somewhat but not completely?Though I'll say, the Ice/penguin level looks almost DC/PS2-level greatness with the reflective surfaces in high rez! :D That said, the wave-samples sound more compressed than the original (more than I remember) and is in stark contrast to the crisp midi music.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Nash said:
Where's SNES MK :(

they want to release the shit MKs first.

hopefully SMK gets a little upgrade too. Do away with the ****ing PAL borders and increase the speed to NSTC levels

santouras

MK DS is definitely better then MK64. I was never really a fan of MK64 and always thought DKR was better personally......

SMK still has the best battle mode. Where MK64 shines is 2p with CPU, and time trial. This is where it blows DKR out of the water :) Can't argue with standing the test of time, DKR died for me when i finished that 1p mode. If only MK64 kept stats of how long me and my friend had played through timetrial, it would be astronomical and embarrassing!
4p mode is probably the best in MK64 or equal with MKDS.

JRW

It's a shame the Wii version of MK64 doesnt support the controller pak (couldnt they just emulate it?) This prevents you from saving ghost data in fact you cant even create ghost period because of it... I used to have fun with this via time trials on N64.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
On a relatively different note, has anyone played a versus race and noticed that the game goes into hyper-mode? As if someone turned the game speed up to double or something like that?

That happened to us twice the last time we played, the Moo Moo Farm has never been so hard before!

RubxQub said:
On a relatively different note, has anyone played a versus race and noticed that the game goes into hyper-mode? As if someone turned the game speed up to double or something like that?

That happened to us twice the last time we played, the Moo Moo Farm has never been so hard before!

Yes I've noticed it and it's EXACTLY the same in the original 64 version. There are no improvements or changes to the framerate. The game is certainly sharper and cleaner thanks to the increased resolution though.
I've had a blast playing it again though, and I can't wait to get 4 ppl together again and play it. This game leaves DKR for dead in the multiplayer. The game "mechanics" are just so much more fun. DKR has a awesome single player mode though.

What I find interesting is that the Rainbow Road that appeared in MKDS was the beta track for MK64's Rainbow Road. Wonder why they chose to scrap that one in favour of the one we did get in MK64. They at least could have taken the course boundaries of parts of the track if not all of it.

Random thoughts...

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
The framerate is smooth and it's higher-res.

But it's still not a great game.

Both MK DS and Double Dash are better.

You heard it first here.

JRW

Just because MK DS & Double Dash are slightly better doesnt make MK64 a 'bad' game by any means, The DS version was totally ruined online by the "snake' technique everyone uses.

Mario Kart DS - DS --- Avg Ratio: 92%
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - GC --- Avg Ratio: 87%
Mario Kart 64 - N64 --- Avg Ratio: 85%

bengraven

Like I said in the Virtual Console thread, every seems to have their favorite Mario Kart, and this is mine. *shrugs*

The reason why Moo Moo Farm goes so damned fast is that is what Nintendo used to accomodate for the slowdown in Mario Kart 64. But since its running on better hardware, I was hoping that the speed up trick would be turned 'off' for the VIrtual console release.

I was wrong. Notice how if you play Luigi Raceway in 3 player mode, it runs so much smoother than with 4 players. It pains me that they couldnt even bother to fix this problem for Mario Kart 64, making the overall purchase kind of...bothersome...

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Donkey Kong Jungle Coarse has lots of framerate tweaks. That level used to be a slideshow when you were going around corners with carts in front and those pinecone things knocking you back on the track.

That is now fixed.

Crispy

I played the PAL version yesterday, multiplayer, and noticed DK's jungle has a pretty bad frame-rate and Bowser's castle runs way too fast. Haven't noticed anything with moo-moo farm though, I'll check on that next time.

Gigglepoo

BlindN-Fan said:
Its the best Mario Karting at its price.

Yup

I think it's the fourth best in the series, but it's only $10. MK DS isn't four (or three) times more fun than MK64. People really need to learn about value.

JRW said:
Just because MK DS & Double Dash are slightly better doesnt make MK64 a 'bad' game by any means, The DS version was totally ruined online by the "snake' technique everyone uses.

Mario Kart DS - DS --- Avg Ratio: 92%
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - GC --- Avg Ratio: 87%
Mario Kart 64 - N64 --- Avg Ratio: 85%

what?

the Mini-Turbo technique was created in MK64. MTs in straights were used for better times in TT. Mini-Turbo was just way harder to exploit back then (and was better because it didn't overpower players that much). MKDD would have been the same as MKDS if it was online.

MK64 still beels better. i wish it had more stuff to do in 1p (even back then it was pitiful in 1p)

Maybe its not actually faster in Moo Moo farm, it could be that the course was designed smaller. Giving the effect that your travelling really fast, when in actually its the same. This could also have been a purpose choice, because it is unlike Nintendo to do something like that.

Gigglepoo

JRW said:
Just because MK DS & Double Dash are slightly better

Wait... what!?

People can debate the merits of Mario Kart DS vs Super Mario Kart all they want, but Double Dash is clearly the worst game in the series. That game has no redeeming qualities. MK64 is far from my favorite, but it was a pure joy of unscripted chaos. DD is just lame and uninspired.

JRW

We played 2 player on the Donkey Kong Jungle track and it had a noticably lower framerate than most tracks, if the framerate really is improved I'd hate to see how it ran on the actual N64.. its been so long I forgot (plus I mainly played single player on N64s).

MutFox

Banned
They NEED to fix some of the framerate issues with an update.
Moo Moo Farm is just WAY too fast in 3 player. (Haven't tried 4 player, probably the same.)
It's kinda cool, cause it's like playing F-Zero with with power slides, but my friends just couldn't keep up. (Which was a downer for them.)

Hope they fix that up, and I hope they consider online. :p

Red Dolphin said:
Yes I've noticed it and it's EXACTLY the same in the original 64 version. There are no improvements or changes to the framerate.

This is just wrong. We had a 4-player session last night (four hours of MK64 goodness!) and the game runs sooo much better on the Wii than on the N64 (I have the N64 game as well). I'm sure the 64 version runs at somewhere around 16 fps in a 4-player block fort battle, whereas the Wii version is a (almost) smooth ~30 fps experience.

There are some issues as some have pointed out though; The DK level is noticeable "chuggy-er" than the other ones, with a worse framerate. Moo Moo Farm (always), Bowser's Castle (always) and sometimes other levels runs in hyper mode, which is fun the first few times, but then really annoying. This also happens in the Skyscraper level in Battle Mode.

Also, the high-res textures and sprites helps ALOT. Same with the improved resolution.

I love this game, and why the hell does people find the need to argue which game is better in a thread that's about ONE SINGLE GAME. Give it up, people.

MutFox

Banned
FoxHimself said:
I love this game, and why the hell does people find the need to argue which game is better in a thread that's about ONE SINGLE GAME. Give it up, people.

Hell Yeah!
It's as if they're insecure over which Mario Kart is the best...

Kinda sad.

Nick

This was actually my favorite Mario Kart. MK DS was shit because of that terrible blue shell of death, and Double Dash had no jump. I hated that.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Nick said:
This was actually my favorite Mario Kart. MK DS was shit because of that terrible blue shell of death, and Double Dash had no jump. I hated that.

Go and try Mario Kart 64 after having played MK DS. It's unplayable shit, just like going back to DD. And yes, the ****ing blue shells are shit, but they're avoidable and it's the only thing that helps other catch me! :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Gigglepoo said:
Yup

I think it's the fourth best in the series, but it's only $10. MK DS isn't four (or three) times more fun than MK64. People really need to learn about value.

4th best... charged 10 bucks for a game that's two generations old...value...

Yeah, ok. o_O

Nick

tanasten said:
Go and try Mario Kart 64 after having played MK DS. It's unplayable shit, just like going back to DD. And yes, the ****ing blue shells are shit, but they're avoidable and it's the only thing that helps other catch me! :lol
Since when?

Top Bottom