• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We can't find January 2007 NPD Results Thread

gkryhewy

Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601204&sid=aeP6KYaQ4o_k&refer=technology):

Nintendo Wii Tops PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 in January (Update1)
By Michael White

Feb. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co.'s Wii outsold Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 during January as consumers bought 436,000 of the video-game consoles.

Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 was the second-most purchased machine with sales of 294,000, followed by PlayStation 3 with 244,000, Credit Suisse analyst Heath Terry said today in a report, citing NPD Group Inc. data.

Wii is outselling PlayStation 3 by almost 2-to-1, the report said. Consumers have been attracted to Wii's price, at half the cost of the least-expensive PlayStation 3, and a wireless controller that can be swung like a bat or tennis racquet during play.

Both Wii and PlayStation 3 were introduced in November as competitors to the Xbox 360, which was released in 2005. Wii's $250 price tag compares to $499 and $599 for the PlayStation 3. The Xbox 360 sells for $299 and $399.

Wii sales fell from 604,000 units in December, the smallest drop of the three consoles, Terry wrote. The Xbox 360 had the biggest decline, dropping from 1.13 million units while PlayStation 3 sales declined from 491,000.

PlayStation 3 includes a Blu-ray DVD player that allows users to watch movies in a high-definition format, in addition to playing games. Production snags with the player created supply problems during the holiday shopping season, forcing Sony to concede market share to Wii.

To contact the reporter on this story: Michael White in Los Angeles at Mwhite8@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: February 20, 2007 20:57 EST

Dang near 300,000 sold in JANUARY? Freakin' January? Thats like fall/early holiday numbers!

I honestly expect it to be a litle over 200,000 Like 230-ish or something.

The Wii I can see becuase people couldnt get one earlier. A launch hang over effect, if you will.

Alcibiades said:

Up 18% YOY, when the month was 25% longer and the last year was supply constrained.

A decent month, especially given they've held onto the price point for longer than some thought, but not particularly sold improvement.

Of course, the PS3 number is absolutely and unadulteratedly pathetic. It's below the dreaded 50k/week area and it's barely launched. You're one line comment may be lacking in any real thought, but it's 100% truth.

The PS3 is in trouble. Serious trouble.

Zynx

TheGreatDave said:
Poor DS. You shouldn't have to put up with shortages in the US as well :(
Tell me about it. WTF - I know Nintendo is conservative, but they're missing out on a lot of sales.

mj1108

sonycowboy said:
Up 18% YOY, when the month was 25% longer and the last year was supply constrained.

A decent month, especially given they've held onto the price point for longer than some thought, but not particularly sold improvement.

Of course, when the PS3 number officially comes out, we'll have even more fun with that number.

So how is it that media outlets apparently have these numbers and nobody else does yet?? (Or I should say nobody here that could post them without getting GAF reamed by NPD)

C4Lukins

VOOK said:
Thanks to me for telling you about this too :p

Wii Wins :)

Everywhere but here. There are North Korean kids who recieved the news by homing pigeon over an hour ago discussing the numbers right now.

Chiggs

Gold Member
DarienA said:
I am surprised by how close the PS3 #'s are to the 360.

Wait a second, wasn't this the month where EVERYBODY said "Holy Shit, PS3's are available everywhere" and rushed and purchased them en masse? If that's the case, oh boy...

I get the feeling PS3 fans will be using excuses galore to explain away the mediocre sales, much like Xbots did for most of last year. Fun times ahead.

Mar

This whole NPD situation =

orange.gif

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Poor Square.

Ah well, if those Zelda numbers are true, it'll breeze past Wind Waker's sales by next month. :D

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Chiggs said:
Wait a second, wasn't this the month where EVERYBODY said "Holy Shit, PS3's are available everywhere" and rushed and purchased them en masse? If that's the case, oh boy...

I get the feeling PS3 fans will be using excuses galore to explain away the mediocre sales, much like Xbots did for most of last year. Fun times ahead.

Link?

Mmmkay

Chiggs said:
Yup.

Chiggs said:

Nope. these sales are terrible, no excuses here.

Lost Planet did really well. Not as good as Dead Rising, but still solid.

Don't tell me they are going to blame the PS3's abysmal sales on supply issues :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom