• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We can't find January 2007 NPD Results Thread

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Insane Metal said:
The complete numbers:

Wii 435,503
PlayStation 2 299,352
Xbox 360 293,774
PlayStation 3 243,554
Nintendo DS 238,869
PlayStation Portable 210,719
Game Boy Advance 179,482
GameCube 33,806
Xbox 833

:)

quote/link your source please.

AniHawk

Vyse The Legend said:
Did Virtua Fighter 4 even sell more than a million on PS2 with its massive consumer base? I doubt it. Therefore, a system seller, VF is not.

Nice try, though.

Heavenly Sword
Devil May Cry 4
Lair
Motorstorm
Metal Gear Solid 4
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Uncharted

What now.

Haunted

_leech_ said:
Ironically enough, the PS3 is selling about as well as the 360 was in North America at this point in their respective launches. The 360 consistently sold around 200K a month until October, iirc.
Exactly. Makes you wonder how Sony is going to close that 12 months gap.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Z3F said:
Sony's sales are not bad for a system that cost $200 more, has less exclusives (so far), and worse graphics (so far) than a 360. MS's lead is far from safe if they can only manage to sell 50,000 more at a time when Sony is at its weakest. Once games like MGS4 start coming out for the PS3, it'll be much harder to keep Sony at bay. Now it's probably the best time for a 360 price cut if MS wants to win as definitively as Sony did w/ the PS2.

WII's numbers are great but I don't think Sony/MS need to worry. The high amount of 360s/PS3s that are still being sold shows that Nintendo is not really directly competing with them.

The problem with that is every month the PS3 tanks increases the odds of sony losing exclusives. They have lost a few already with these kind of sales they are going to lose more and more. With development costs throught the roof who can afford to release a game exclusively on a 3rd place system.

tanod

when is my burrito
sonycowboy said:
Of course, the PS3 number is absolutely and unadulteratedly pathetic. It's below the dreaded 50k/week area and it's barely launched. You're one line comment may be lacking in any real thought, but it's 100% truth.

The PS3 is in trouble. Serious trouble.

BS! The PS3 had 0 games come out in January. 250,000 = Doomed... not

Dirtbag

Z3F said:
Sony's sales are not bad for a system that cost $200 more, has less exclusives (so far), and worse graphics (so far) than a 360. MS's lead is far from safe if they can only manage to sell 50,000 more at a time when Sony is at its weakest. Once games like MGS4 start coming out for the PS3, it'll be much harder to keep Sony at bay. Now it's probably the best time for a 360 price cut if MS wants to win as definitively as Sony did w/ the PS2.

WII's numbers are great but I don't think Sony/MS need to worry. The high amount of 360s/PS3s that are still being sold shows that Nintendo is not really directly competing with them.

you are a very confused person.

Chiggs

Gold Member
AniHawk said:
Heavenly Sword
Devil May Cry 4
Lair
Motorstorm
Metal Gear Solid 4
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Uncharted

What now.

Out of all of those, I'd argue that Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4 and Gran Turismo 5 will be the only ones to achieve true blockbuster status.

Haunted

ethelred said:
Well, I heard that it's just the initial holiday interest because of the launch hype and the novelty. As soon as Christmas is over, people are going to tire of the fad, it'll stop selling at all.
It's just a gimmick, after all.

Busaiku

Hmm, so it seems X-Box 360 weekly sales are down from last year by a few thousand units, but overall monthly sales are up (given the extra week).
Wii sales seem to be about in line with the JPN sales, about 10,000+ higher even. It is doing absolutely amazing, not to mention it's supply constrained.
Playstation 3, seems to be doing better than JPN by quite some, but it's not really all that great when compared to the competitors.
Nintendo DS got hit by shortages harder than the Wii it seems, but still manages to fair along nicely.

Isn't this also the best Nintendo console's 1st January since the SNES?

AniHawk said:
Heavenly Sword
Devil May Cry 4
Lair
Motorstorm
Metal Gear Solid 4
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Uncharted

What now.

The sense of conviction seems almost tangible. Almost. Please don't play devil's advocate and let the PS3's stumble out of the gate be unanimous. They literally couldn't have done worse if Peter Moore and Reggie planned it for them.

I'm not going to predict long term failure, but short term. Hell yeah.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
sonycowboy said:
Absolutely agreed. The PS3 has fallen down hard given it's still sold a good bit less than 1M per NPD and the sales have slowed down, according to some folks, to a halt.

Imagine how many of these ~250k were sold the first week of January when the huge frikken shipment hit and people lined up at stores. Then 4 more weeks after that, sales appear to have dropped off of a cliff.

Wii sales fantastic despite constraint.
DS sales constrained
360 sales - fallen back to moderate levels
PS3 sales - given (a) first month of availability, 2nd full month after launch, 5 weeks for the month are absolutely brutal.

Why can't you give us an update on what is going on with NPD?
If articles are out already, it means that the NPD released the numbers a while ago, why did you not post them? Why haven't you posted software sales yet (you implied that you know them when banning Square for posting "wrong" numbers from another forum)?
Feels like NPD has you by the balls, and if that's the case not much can be done, but just ignoring the elephant in the room doesn't seem right.

AniHawk said:
Motorstorm.

No.

VF5? No.

Lair? No.

Heavenly Sword? No.

MGS4? Yes.

DMC4? Yes.

FF13? Yes.

Gran Turismo 5? God, Yes.

When are these coming out? Fall at the earliest for MGS4 and DMC4. Who knows about FF13 and GT5. I don't see the PS3 passing 360 sales until this fall, unless there are a shit ton of Halo fans who haven't bought a 360 and in that case, they might not pass the 360 at all this year.

arne

Onix said:
Considering the current disparity in SW library (and slight disparity in price) ... I'm pretty surprised the PS3 sales numbers are so close to 360.

That really can't be a good sign for MS.

oh onix.

All Hail C-Webb said:
If articles are out already, it means that the NPD released the numbers a while ago, why did you not post them? Why haven't you posted software sales yet (you implied that you know them when banning Square for posting "wrong" numbers from another forum)?
Feels like NPD has you by the balls, and if that's the case not much can be done, but just ignoring the elephant in the room doesn't seem right.

We don't have anything "official" yet and I'm not sure if NPD has done any official PR release yet.

If you read the article there were two sources:

1) Microsoft - trumpeting the 360 sales
2) CSFB - releasing their research report to investors.

JCBossman

Banned
My Bet (I am sure of it) VF5 360 will sell (in NA) 2X+ what VF5 for PS3 does by the end of the year. Anyone wanna take the other side?

ant1532

Banned
hotcakes.jpg

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
All Hail C-Webb said:
pittsburgh-attorneys.jpg

OverHeat

« generous god »
AniHawk said:
Heavenly Sword
Devil May Cry 4
Lair
Motorstorm
Metal Gear Solid 4
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Uncharted

What now.
We could do the same for xbox 360.
Forza 2
Halo 3
Mass Effect
etc
what now. :lol

PkunkFury

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Store 5296, Barboursville WV. Just on the hill above the mall. If yall want one, come on up and buy one. Any sale that helps pad my stores bonus is a good sale. I truly benefit from this little console war. Exceptional jan sales from all three companies helps me tons since Walmart is switching its yearly bonus to quaterly. if this keeps up all year........yippee. I might be able to afford all three this gen. :)

If Wii is that easy for you to find, you should consider buying and ebaying them as most areas are very supply strained and lots of folks are still looking. where i live we still have signs advertiising that the Wii is not available in most stores, since clerks are sick of people asking.

Mrbob

mj1108 said:
It does make you wonder about BluRay movie sales for the month.

PS3 selling to non gamers confirmed.

I love my PS3 as a Blu Ray movie player. :)

Oh and Resistance is pretty fun too.

Anecdotel total, but between me and 3 friends who own PS3s we have 13 Blu Ray movies and 3 games.

Price needs to come down.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Mermandala said:
I think NeoGAF gets NPD numbers from a message from Phillip K. Dick orbiting the internet. I don't know who I am any longer.

But was it Valis that gave him those numbers?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
wow@Ps3 numbers.

If it means I get a cheap blu-ray player earlier, I guess it's good news, but I don't want the Ps3 to fail. This is crazy.

siamesedreamer said:
IIRC, February is always worse than January.

PS3 might not crack the 200K barrier.

I'd ~almost be willing to bet a ban myself that it won't. Hell, it's going to have a tough time hitting 150k.

PkunkFury said:
If Wii is that easy for you to find, you should consider buying and ebaying them as most areas are very supply strained and lots of folks are still looking. where i live we still have signs advertiising that the Wii is not available in most stores, since clerks are sick of people asking.

The thought has crossed my mind several times, to be honest. I've always assumed even if its just a GAF thing, I could still make a killing off the forum alone. :D

Honestly though, I see them all the time. They sell down but replenish fairly regular. My store gets 2-4 PS3's in each shipment and they usually well as well. We never have as much instock as the Wii though as we get much bigger shipments. I never see the gimped PS3 either.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
sonycowboy said:
I'd ~almost be willing to bet a ban myself that it won't. Hell, it's going to have a tough time hitting 150k.

I'm using that other dude's exact numbers since you haven't banned him yet. Cool?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Mrbob said:
PS3 selling to non gamers confirmed.

I love my PS3 as a Blu Ray movie player. :)

Oh and Resistance is pretty fun too.

Anecdotel total, but between me and 3 friends who own PS3s we have 13 Blu Ray movies and 3 games.

Price needs to come down.

well, I mean you want to buy something for it...and there really aren't decent games.

I still want one :)

btw, MLB: TS in April!!! Everything turns around in April!!!

.dmc

Banned
mmlemay said:
I don't see the PS3 passing 360 sales until this fall, unless there are a shit ton of Halo fans who haven't bought a 360 and in that case, they might not pass the 360 at all this year.

You're talking about a month-to-month basis rather than LTD right? There is no way in hell that PS3 could overtake the 360 this year or even by the end of next.

Let's look at revenues (the PS3 and 360 averages are my best guesses):

PS3 > 244,000*580 = $141,520,000
360 > 294,000*390 = $114,660,000
Wii > 436,000*250 = $109,000,000

Although they are losing hundreds of dollars on each system sold, at least Sony can say they brought in the most revenue of the three next generation consoles.

PS3 is in some serious shit IMO, launching a year later with games that in general don't look much better than 360, and most of the heavy hitters (FF, GT5, MGS4, etc..) a ways off...maybe the Europe launch will be a boost.

Top Bottom