• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Party 8 - The whole set of images (wow!)

Haunted

DarknessTear said:
But I suppose people would start bitching about what I just said because lots of people hate Mario Sunshine.
True, GAF can be stupid sometimes.

DarknessTear said:
I have plenty of real life friends... they just all say they're too "grown up" for Nintendo
Get some new friends.
I'm kidding - get some better friends.

I can see how people like you would benefit from an online option, however. Hell, as long as its development wouldn't impact the rest of the offline game or its release date, I say go for it! Options don't hurt anyone.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Online adds the ablility to play with a human at all times. I'm sure there are times where you can't amass a group of friends to play (if your lucky enough to have friends that like the game).

Go Online, join a random game on a random board and boom your in a game. You also don't have to deal with a computer that cheats like a motha ****er. Get with the times Nintendo.

Pud

Banned
DarknessTear said:
I have plenty of real life friends... they just all say they're too "grown up" for Nintendo minus one or two people.

Get some friends that are older than 15.

You'd think Nintendo could get some online in there but I guess their system sucks too much for them to do it decently?

Yes, because a system more powerful than the original XBox is too shitty to do online.

I don't see any reason why a party game couldn't flourish online just like every other genre has.

There's a reason why the party genre hasn't flourished online like every other major genre has. And the social aspect is exactly why. Put it this way - Wii Sports wouldn't be a "killer app" if it most people were playing it online.

In everyone elses defense, its hard finding friends that actually like the Mario Party series

I find it much harder to find people to play games like Halo, Splinter Cell, or GoW online than I do to play games like Wii Sports, DDR, and Mario Party. But then, my friends/gfs/etc are what you'd consider "normal".

BlueTsunami

Pud said:
There's a reason why the party genre hasn't flourished online like every other major genre has. And the social aspect is exactly why. Put it this way - Wii Sports wouldn't be a "killer app" if it most people were playing it online.

So intead of being able to choose we get stuck with Offline gameplay? I don't know why theres friction when it comes to Online play. And its not like Online play is restriced to one person, it also could be impliment in such a way that 2 people are playing Online on the board in the same room or something (I believe the Halo series does this).

Theres no real excuse for it not being there.

GreekWolf

NintendosBooger said:
I have friends that would love this game.
booger.gif

Do all of your friends look like this?

Krowley

NintendosBooger said:
I have friends that would love this game. Of course, they must be at the bottom of the social pecking order unlike those hardcore social butterflies that prefer GoW, right?

i have a decent number of friends but i only see them once per week ( and sometimes it's 2 week intervals these days) jobs, wives, responsibility's.... all that stuff gets in the way.

and even though most of my friends are gamers, when we get together, we do other stuff... drinking, watching movies, more drinking... occasionaly we will play games for a short time, but mostly it's just showing off some game we recently bought, and that doesn't take long.

so for me, a game like this isn't worth it if it's offline... i'm not going to look for new friends who have more free time just so i can have somebody to play party games with me.

BlueTsunami

And about the images posted being beyond the capabilities of the Xbox. I don't agree with that. Theres many games on the Xbox that already surpass those visuals (not necessarily party games though).

Krowley said:
i have a decent number of friends but i only see them once per week ( and sometimes it's 2 week intervals these days) jobs, wives, responsibility's.... all that stuff gets in the way.

Which is another dilemma. But I guess you gotta choose friends who are old but not so old to have actual responsibilities. Hmmmm thats asking a lot out of someone *tear*

This is why Online would be perfect

Haunted

Gigglepoo said:
Plus, it's Hudson. Their work on Fuzion Frenzy 2 is not exactly making people drool with pleasure.
Hudson is certainly not known for their breathtaking graphics. :lol

Fuzion Frenzy 2 was made by another Hudson dev team, while the same dev team from the previous Mario Party game is handling this one, so I'm not concerned.

Gigglepoo

BlueTsunami said:
I don't know why theres friction when it comes to Online play.

You should see the Gamespot Reviews Virtua Fighter 5 thread....

I don't understand why people so ardently defend games that exist exclusively offline in this era of online gaming. Do people just have lower expectations that are easily met? I expect every game with a strong multiplayer component to be online. Every one. If it's not, the company is doing something wrong. Simple as that.

I still can't believe no one ripped Guitar Hero for staying offline when their previous game, Amplitude, already proved that online music games can be damn fun.

If people continue to nod and buy games like Mario Party, we'll never see an evolution in this genre.

Of course, we've already had seven games with only a microphone added, so that may be a bad example.

.dmc

Banned
Man, this thread just goes to show how desperately confused some people are about the graphic capabilities of the Wii.. FWIW I think Rayman looks a lot nicer than most of these screens.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Gigglepoo said:

I don't understand why people so ardently defend games that exist exclusively offline in this era of online gaming. Do people just have lower expectations that are easily met? I expect every game with a strong multiplayer component to be online. Every one. If it's not, the company is doing something wrong. Simple as that.

I still can't believe no one ripped Guitar Hero for staying offline when their previous game, Amplitude, already proved that online music games can be damn fun.

Easy because anyone who competes in fighters at more than a casual level knows that frames and the general lag or speed of the current online infastructure isn't enough. Sega and namco have said this various times, but most people just overlook it. Some games can be done easily online while others like a fighter require percision and speed you can't currently have for most players.

Haunted

Gigglepoo said:

I think there are other genres that lend themselves better to online play. Saying every game with a multiplayer needs to be online is too simple-minded. It's not like there's a switch in the code somewhere that says 'enable online play'. Again - if the development of an online multiplayer mode takes resources away from the single-player or the offline-multiplayer component, it's not the right fit for a game that excels offline (regardless of genre).

And that's just from a practical standpoint, I won't even touch the argument concerning Nintendo's overarching theme of bringing people/the family together to play games, which they're promoting with the Wii.

gigglepoo said:
I still can't believe no one ripped Guitar Hero for staying offline
My above point stands, but double standards FTL, yeah.

Krowley

.dmc said:
Man, this thread just goes to show how desperately confused some people are about the graphic capabilities of the Wii.. FWIW I think Rayman looks a lot nicer than most of these screens.

I must be blind because i always get this when i'm impressed by the graphics on a wii game... i hear the same things about mario galaxy and forever blue.. the only time it didn't happen was on the next gen R&C. not a wii game, so maybe that's why... but it could also be because there is no question that it's absolutley amazing to look at.. The wii games are all sort of borderline, but IMO they cross the border.

Looking at it again, i will agree that maybe xbox could do it... the texture style resembles Ninja gaiden.

edit// and obviously, some of the pics look bad.. i'm only referring to the really nice looking ones.

d[-_-]b

Banned
.dmc said:
This thread shows that their are people still trolling the Wii about graphics, anything positive said related to the Wii's graphics turns into, it's not better than the Gamecube or Xbox crap. We already know the specs how many times will we go over this? It's more powerful than a GC and Xbox so stfu already.

Haunted

And I just want to remind people that this is first and foremost a Mario Party 8 thread, not a 'general discussion about the graphical capabilities of the Wii' thread, so don't get too off-topic here, please.

Thanks!

d[-_-]b said:
This thread shows that their are people still trolling the Wii about graphics, anything positive said related to the Wii's graphics turns into, it's not better than the Gamecube or Xbox crap. We already know the specs how many times will we go over this? It's more powerful than a GC and Xbox so stfu already.

Technically Wii is more powerful than Xbox, however it doesn't have the shader advantages of the Xbox so therefore it's possible that Wii games will never look as good as the best looking Xbox games (Chaos Theory, Riddick and Ninja Gaiden). The Wii can do more, but there are questions as to whether it can do large amounts of normal mapping (the only thing we've heard is that Dewey's Adventure uses normal mapping on a boss).

That being said, Mario Party 8 looks quite nice for a Wii game, and is certainly a solid improvement from Mario Party 7.

Eteric Rice

Alkaliine said:
Technically Wii is more powerful than Xbox, however it doesn't have the shader advantages of the Xbox so therefore it's possible that Wii games will never look as good as the best looking Xbox games (Chaos Theory, Riddick and Ninja Gaiden). The Wii can do more, but there are questions as to whether it can do large amounts of normal mapping (the only thing we've heard is that Dewey's Adventure uses normal mapping on a boss).

That being said, Mario Party 8 looks quite nice for a Wii game, and is certainly a solid improvement from Mario Party 7.

From what I understand, it can do shaders. It just has a completely different way of doing it.

Or something...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Am I insane for thinking this looks like Mario Sunshine with slightly better textures in a few places and some DOF effects? What is going on here that is impressive?

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
briefcasemanx said:
Am I insane for thinking this looks like Mario Sunshine with slightly better textures in a few places and some DOF effects? What is going on here that is impressive?
the ninja gaiden like textures.

Gigglepoo

d[-_-]b said:
It's more powerful than a GC and Xbox so stfu already.

You're very trusting...

I hope Mario Party 8 includes some "standard" mini games along with the waggle enhanced ones we know will be showcased.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Alkaliine said:

The Gamecube had games that looked almost on par with the best xbox games. I think Wii will definitely look better than xbox when all is said and done.

Krowley

Alkaliine said:

isn't this game using some fancy texture effects?

If not, why do some of the pics have a solid look... like looking at RL miniatures. it has that rubbery/doll look that some of the xbox games have.. i'm a total layman on this stuff, but i know what i'm seeing... or am i crazy?

LCGeek

formerly sane
d[-_-]b said:

You should ignore these people no matter what comes out to refute their weak arguments they sing the same tune. BTW you're off about the specs. Despite basic info anything detailed that could end these types of discussion is well been nda'ed to death by nintendo keep a tight lid on developers releasing numbers. Unless it's B3D or inside info I can verify it's all meaningless what most people think Wii is capable of.

.dmc

Banned
d[-_-]b said:

Both sides are equally guilty of this shit, see the following for evidence..

Panther Lotus said:
I think that people could point to this game as the moment that the Wii surpassed the original XBOX in visual quality.

My reason for calling people 'confused' is because we've seen videos of Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, RE:UC, Forever Blue, Dewie's Adventure etc. which all look amazing, but we still have people saying 'aww, I dunno if we've surpassed xbox yet' or gushing over a title (MP8) that doesn't look any better than titles from launch (R:RR or SMB:BB). So I'm happy for people to say 'oh, this looks nice', but to say 'wow! next-gen am here!' because they're using a little depth of field is completely ridiculous. We know that the Wii is capable of more so we don't have to have a circle jerk everytime we get some screens that are slightly better than Avatar: The Last Airbender.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Alkaliine said:

Ninja gaiden is a hack in terms of some of it's graphical implementation. Polys were about the only good thing texturing, lighting, and shadowing were highly suspect once you looked at it. RE4 and RS3 shames this game with ease. Same for others in comparison to RS3 which uses 8 texture layers per pass (not possible on xbox), displacement maps (not possible on xbox), self shadowing (how many xbox games have this), per pixel lighting engine, heavy usage of bump mapping, highest poly count out of any last gen console game, and the list could keep going on and on if I wanted too. CT is about the only xbox game that really ranks up there in comparison to some of GC's best titles.

Considering how the cpu, gpu, ram are all better than what is in the xbox it boggles how some of you think that the system couldn't make better looking titles, which on some levels it has already.

Haunted

PantherLotus said:
Oh, they came out. Great. Well it was nice while it lasted.
yeah. :( this thread was doomed from the start, even though I tried.

#1 Hey nice! A Mario Party 8 thread without hate!
#2 Yeah, it could look even better, I guess.. but it's Mario Party! it's fun to play!
#3 ... could we talk about Mario Party again, please?.. Wii graphics in general have already been discussed to death
#4 Ah, **** it, it's no use.

Hate kills love. :(

Krowley

Haunted_One said:
yeah. :( You can actually see it in the progression of my posts in this thread.

#1 Hey nice! A Mario Party 8 thread without hate!
#2 Yeah, it could look even better, I guess.. but it's Mario Party! it's fun to play!
#3 ... could we talk about Mario Party again, please?.. Wii graphics in general have already been discussed to death
#4 Ah, **** it, it's no use.

Hate kills love. :(

Sorry it went that way (and i take some of the blame)

But it was more of a mario party screenshots thread, than a general mario party thread and screenshot threads are always geared towards graphics discussion... There is not much you can tell about the gameplay from those screens and obviously, every wii game is going to be scrutinized in the graphics department because of it's unique position in the market.

I am genuinley surprised and even blown away by some of those screens, and i'm really surprised that some others don't feel the same way.

i thought discussion on how good or bad Wii games are was banned?
We know it aint a 360 or a PS3 so if all you can do to a game is diss it's looks, thats a tad pathetic.
The game looks fine FOR A DAMNED PARTY GAME.

Haunted

Krowley said:
Sorry it went that way (and i take some of the blame)

But it was more of a mario party screenshots thread, than a general mario party thread and screenshot threads are always geared towards graphics discussion... There is not much you can tell about the gameplay from those screens and obviously, every wii game is going to be scrutinized in the graphics department because of it's unique position in the market.

I am genuinley surprised and even blown away by some of those screens, and i'm really surprised that some others don't feel the same way.
Thanks. You're right, I just thought a Mario Party 8 discussion would be more fun than yet another Wii graphics discussion. But hey, it's GAF, my expectations were simply too high. ;)

DefectiveReject said:
i thought discussion on how good or bad Wii games are was banned?
We know it aint a 360 or a PS3 so if all you can do to a game is diss it's looks, thats a tad pathetic.
The game looks fine FOR A DAMNED PARTY GAME.
ban for discussing how good or bad wii games are? wtf

Muppet345

Eh, I'm not impressed. I've been playing some Cube titles recently and several look better than this. People are forgetting what the Cube could do, I think.

I don't expect great graphics from Mario Party but I do expect them to finally add online play. No sale.

Saoh

Eteric Rice said:
As I said, the new Batallion Wars is going to be online, so...

Wait for that?

yeah, but we shouldnt wait for that, or MPrime 3 (right? hopefully). i understand that 2nd/3rd party cant go online yet.... but Nintendo cant either?! that's just being lazy.

im not gonna get MP8, not my type of game, but i still think Nintendo needs to hurry.

ooohh MP3 better have online!

Top Bottom