• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Party 8 - The whole set of images (wow!)

No, the graphics don't looks super uber-awesome (the water looks ripped straight from Super Mario Sunshine), but the developers aren't trying to do something they can't, which is the problem with Godfather, Farcry, etc.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
nubbe said:
54941520070223_174830_8_big.jpg

GTA:Mushroom Kingdom
And it looks like Luigi is about to pick up Birdo in order to regain some health. :lol

Fio

MP simply doesn't work online, forget about it. Many minigames requires feedback of tenths of seconds, impracticable with the current online structure.

Online multiplayer in MP will be only possible if Nintendo do a major overhaul on minigames structure to support eventual lags. But I think it will ruin the minigames as we know, and as we like.

Ranger X

I think it looks very good. All Wii games should start at this level of visuals. It looks like a beautifull GC games, it should be the minimum.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It's all relative. We can praise Hudson for developing a fairly good looking game for the Wii simply based on what they've already done, or should I say, already shit out. This is clearly better than previous versions.

Now imagine what a team like IntSys, Factor 5, or Silicon Knights could do vs. comparing that to a developer like Midway or Hudson. Now, if one of the good developers don't make a case for a true next-gen looking title, then you might say some shit.

But truthfully, the game does have some visual improvements over the GC titles and its obvious. And to those saying that it doesn't even match original XBOX visuals, "ok!"

rkenshin

I dunno if Online Play will work well, especially when I'm winning a game an hour in then all my opponents disconnect which quite frankly is frustrating to say the least even if they get a loss and I get a win (I want to see the result screen if that happens)

gfdoom

i think one thing that helps it stand out the most is that it's very colorful! some thing that is sorely missing in alot of the next gen games. "Browns/grays & dirtyness" is what makes up most next gen games now

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DarknessTear said:
Well, they are. They're just not hardcore gamers and they don't see any reason in playing anything that isn't bloody or violent.

Your friends are morons. Get ones with brains.

immy said:
No sale for me then, all my friends are xbots

Easy way to get pretty much anyone to playe Mario Party:

"Hey man, I'm having some folks come over tonight to play some drinking games, are you in?"
"What drinking games are you going to play?"
"Got a new video game today, and it lends itself to drunken fun..."

Seriously.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I tried playing MP6 on the GC (I think?) with my wife. I was kinda getting into it but she didn't really like it. The GC gamepad always made it hard for her with new games, even though she can rock out with Smash Bros.

I might have to give this one another look, even though Board game mini-game collections aren't really my bag. It might be fun.

Gigglepoo

platypotamus said:
Easy way to get pretty much anyone to playe Mario Party:

"Hey man, I'm having some folks come over tonight to play some drinking games, are you in?"
"What drinking games are you going to play?"
"Got a new video game today, and it lends itself to drunken fun..."

Seriously.

It would be a lot easier for me to get three friends to my apartment to play Mario Party 8 than to get three friends over to drink. I think your strategy only applies to college dorms. At least I hope so.

Gigglepoo said:
It would be a lot easier for me to get three friends to my apartment to play Mario Party 8 than to get three friends over to drink. I think your strategy only applies to college dorms. At least I hope so.

Whenever anyone seriously uses various fanboy words such as "xbots" or something, I assume they are high schoolers or college students. So, I figured it'd be appropriate.

Truth be told though, I've had a couple of Drunken Mario Parties since college as well.

Ace 8095

People who say games like Mario Party can't be fun online have not experienced good online play. I play Rainbow Six Vegas every week on Xbox live with friends whom I have never seen face to face. Still we play, laugh, and enjoy each other’s company. There is NO reason why the same kind of experience could not be applied to Mario Party. To have fun with party games all you need is the company of fiends. It does not matter if they are few feet or a few hundred miles away.

Muppet345

Ace 8095 said:
People who say games like Mario Party can't be fun online have not experienced good online play. I play Rainbow Six Vegas every week on Xbox live with friends whom I have never seen face to face. Still we play, laugh, and enjoy each other’s company. There is NO reason why the same kind of experience could not be applied to Mario Party. To have fun with party games all you need is the company of fiends. It does not matter if they are few feet or a few hundred miles away.
Most of my friends don't live near me anymore, so online play is pretty necessary for some games like this.

Firestorm

I can't believe the people in this topic who said their friends aren't "hardcore enough for Mario Party" and that they're casual so they play GoW. It's casuals and non-gamers who flock to Mario Party games. If you can't find people to play Mario Party with, that's kinda scary. Mario Party is basically all that my non-gamer friends will play =/

Then again, almost every guy I know plays games to a certain degree so non-gamer only seems to cover the girls now. Most of the guys I know are also not insecure so meh =/

rkenshin

Is there an XBox Live equivalent to Mario Party to show that it will work?

All I can think of is Fusion Frenzy, but it's not a boardgame

Firestorm

rkenshin said:
Is there an XBox Live equivalent to Mario Party to show that it will work?

All I can think of is Fusion Frenzy, but it's not a boardgame

Only thing I can think of that gives the "Mario Party vibe" is Uno.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The biggest problem I have with having MP online is finding friends how have it. It's a game that my family generally loves and we can it and games like it for hours together, but only one of us actually own it. The people I know who tend to like MP are mostly people who don't give a damn about online gaming... and the people I know who are big into online gaming don't usually give a damn about MP. For me, its easier to get us all into one room to play than to get us all to own a system, the same game, and play online.

I have no interest in playing people I don't know in this game... I hate it for any game, but the nature and pacing of a Mario Party game would make it even more painful.

dyls

I haven't played a lot of Mario Party, so I don't know if this minigame has been used before, but this shot:
54941520070222_140021_24_big.jpg

reminds me a lot of RC Pro-am and thus makes me very happy.

Cronox

Banned
54941520070223_174830_8_big.jpg

This needs an Accomplished...

54941520070222_140015_10_big.jpg

And this makes me think of Sonic Adventure's first stage. Seriously, it's exactly the same. The dolphin just clinches it.

Amir0x

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Forever Blue says HI

Yup. There was a short video of Forever Blue that was quite impressive too for a Wii game. Super Mario Galaxy and Forever Blue are the only two Wii games that really look 'above and beyond Xbox lvl' to me... although, Metroid Prime III comes close.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Amir0x said:
Yup. There was a short video of Forever Blue that was quite impressive too for a Wii game. Super Mario Galaxy and Forever Blue are the only two Wii games that really look 'above and beyond Xbox lvl' to me... although, Metroid Prime III comes close.

I think Dragon Quest Swords will be quite a stunner. Sure, it's on rails, but it's the whole package. I'm just saying that should be on your list.

Amir0x said:

Metroid Prime 3 looks better than anything I ever saw on Xbox. Hell, Metroid Prime 1 and 2 looked about just as good as the best FPS on Xbox and 3 looks a LOT better. I think its by far the best looking wii game yet, watch it in motion!

.....oh and MP8 looks fun. I might get it if the minigames are fun. I need a reason to play some awesome, awesome wii multiplayer with a little bit more depth than wii sports. I'm happy they delayed it, I hope this one is polished.

BigO

Ace 8095 said:

But without voice communication, MP8 online would be about as fun as playing with the comps. And with how Nintendo is doing online I doubt there will be.

Eteric Rice

BigO said:
But without voice communication, MP8 online would be about as fun as playing with the comps. And with how Nintendo is doing online I doubt there will be.

Considering the Nintendo DS supposedly supports chat now (in Japan, supposedly will soon in the US), I don't see why it's out of the question for the Wii to do it, or eventually do it.

Anyway, I haven't seen enough of Forever Blue to give it a big thumbs up, but Galaxy definately takes the cake.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I think having this game online is both a positive and negative thing, but in the end it wouldn't hurt having it as an option.
I do feel this kind of game is made more for being in the same room as the people you play with, as a party game and all.
But on the other hand - if you're 4 players simultaneously, wouldn't you have to buy 4 wiimotes for that? I don't know if the nunchucks are needed as well, but in any case that would be kind of pricey, wouldn't it? Unless you already own all the neccessary equipment of course.
Still, even if you have the 'good' kind of friends (as defined throughout this thread :p) there's no guarantee they live anywhere close-by. And well...it's always nice to have the whole screen for yourself when playing, instead of splitting it in four!

But hey, I'm sure Mario Party 9 is just around the corner anyway, maybe they'll throw in online in that game instead, once Nintendo get their online strategy rolling.

rkenshin

Eteric Rice said:
Considering the Nintendo DS supposedly supports chat now (in Japan, supposedly will soon in the US), I don't see why it's out of the question for the Wii to do it, or eventually do it.

Anyway, I haven't seen enough of Forever Blue to give it a big thumbs up, but Galaxy definately takes the cake.

The DS has mic support out of the box.. Wii doesn't and even the likes of the 360, a lot of people don't have headsets for voice communication..

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
rkenshin said:
The DS has mic support out of the box.. Wii doesn't and even the likes of the 360, a lot of people don't have headsets for voice communication..

They did include a mic with Mario Party 6 and 7 for Gamecube IIRC though, and those weren't even online. :p

wsippel

Banned
Kiriku said:
They did include a mic with Mario Party 6 and 7 for Gamecube IIRC though, and those weren't even online. :p
I wouldn't be surprised to see standard Bluetooth headset support on Wii in the near future...

Terrell

I was seriously not expecting a Mario Party game to look this good. So much for the argument that 3rd-parties and Nintendo themselves aren't even trying to make a pretty game. I mean, this isn't stunning to the nth or anything, but... if this is what they're doing for MARIO PARTY, it makes what is currently on the table for Wii seem kind of like a programming abortion.

rkenshin

Kiriku said:

It was just 7 and was poorly used for a small fraction of minigames..

And what's the max number of Bluetooth devices that the Wii can handle..

All I know it can only utilize four Wiimotes at the same time, but what about in conjunction with BT headsets, keyboards, mouse?

Pud

Banned
Actually the mic was included in Party 6, and it was used FAR more in MP6 than 7. In fact, I was surprised how little it was used in 7. 6 not only had more party mic games, but it had a Nintendo Jeopardy of sorts that was run entirely by voice commands.

That said, Mario Party games (and most other party games) will only use the remote, so there's a perfectly good expansion port on the bottom open to use (not to mention the whole Gamecube interface). How do you think Karaoke Revolution will work on Wii, anyway? (As I'm sure they're bringing out a singing game at some point, with the Wii's audience lapping that stuff up). Plug a unidirectional mic into the expansion port, turn the Wiimote upside down, and it's like you're in American Idol :lol

Haunted

rkenshin said:

All I know it can only utilize four Wiimotes at the same time, but what about in conjunction with BT headsets, keyboards, mouse?
no, the mic was a pack-in with Mario Party 6 as well.

There were some mic mini-games (about 8 out of 70+? - more in 6 at least) in 6 and 7 respectively- since they generally couldn't approach the fun of the more traditional games, it was correct to only have some of them in there. They were a nice change of pace when they popped up (as they were supposed to, I guess).

edit: beaten like a red-headed stepchild

wsippel

Banned
rkenshin said:

A Bluetooth adapter always supports seven devices (eight including the adapter). Which would be enough for four Wiimotes, a headset, a keyboard and a mouse at the same time.

Top Bottom