• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE exec teases "an amazing big title coming to Vita" [Not an indie title]

Mario007

its strange though because their forecast for ps3 is on the low end too unless they are not doing a price cut. i would think a price cut with last of us, gt6, gta v, beyond etc.. could move ps3 units and dent any wii u momentum when they bring their big titles this holiday. they are also expanding production in brazil so 10m seems low. maybe they want to keep expectations low this time around and make it look like they beat forecasts next year. we will see i guess.
This is actually a very good point.

That's not the same as purposefully completely low balling your estimations, there are cases when you honestly can't expect how well a product will take off, but Sony massively decreased their sales projections, Apple doesn't massively decrease there sales projections and then end up beating that projection, as the damage is already done.
I never said Sony was underestimating Vita on purpose. It could simply be that Sony thinks they can sell 5-7 million Vitas this year and they put in 5 instead of 6 or 7 simply because they want to be conservative. As sense says PS3 number is pretty low as well, in fact their smartphone projection is quite conservative too.

Once again I'm not trying to spin this into any way, but just trying to get you and some other posters to not read too much into that projection. As I've said if we were going by projections then Vita's line-up last year would surely have 2-3 million sellers.

Even aside from the question of whether Minecraft actually sells systems to a significant extent, I would think that Pocket Edition, compromised as it is, would be good enough for the vast majority of those who want to play a portable version. Not that I'm an expert on the game's fanbase, mind you.

I'm talking only about selling Vitas to new consumers. There would be no incentive to buy a Vita to play an iOS/Android port of Minecraft Portable.

Raist

Banned
its strange though because their forecast for ps3 is on the low end too unless they are not doing a price cut. i would think a price cut with last of us, gt6, gta v, beyond etc.. could move ps3 units and dent any wii u momentum when they bring their big titles this holiday. they are also expanding production in brazil so 10m seems low. maybe they want to keep expectations low this time around and make it look like they beat forecasts next year. we will see i guess.

Huh. Wrong thread?

ascii42

Yep, given their hardware forecast for the Vita for the next year, this is going to be nothing. Well, nothing that will move the needle for non-Vita owners. At least that's the message Sony themselves are sending.

Either that or they expect Vita sales would be even worse without it (and at current sales rates...)

androvsky

The plot is thickening:

- a game from our partners means 2nd / 3rd party
- more than one (maybe a series?)
- maybe starting with a P

Also why not Phoenix Wright HD? It is already coming to smartphones so it wouldn't take that much of an effort to bring it to the Vita.

And Kickz, I like the idea of that! Also VC is a series, so why wouldn't they bring a HD collection? Still waiting on that VC3 PSP localization that probably will never come...
I love the Phoenix Wright games... a lot, but hours a day for more than a couple days? Those aren't very replayable, I can't see someone getting hooked into them for long term.

Minecraft would be great, but it would seem like it would be more accurately described as an indie title. My guess is Diablo 3. Already have a deal going with Blizzard, game runs on PS3 so port shouldn't be too evil unless there's just too many assets to fit in 4 GB.

ReaperXL7

The other possibility is that the game, or games in question fall outside of this forecasting period, which games announced a year or so in advance dont seem to move hardware with a few exceptions. All I can say is that Shahid does not seem like hes the uneducated sort, so I believe he would have to know how badly hyping niche, or "lower tier" indie games would go.

he also already confirmed that the main game of conversation is not an indie title, so its hard to know what it could be. This news is already beginning to spread to news sites, and it will likely be everywhere soon, so if they are hyping nothing I hope they are prepared for what comes after.

Also if Minecraft does indeed come I would suspect it would be the same as the PS3/PS4 version as that seems to be the trend.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
ZOMG!

YS1Ar1g.png

From the other thread...

Hrrrm...

Looking ahead to this fiscal year, Sega expects to have software shipments of 11.66 million, with the PlayStation 3 getting 7 games, the PS Vita getting 5, and the PSP at 2. Without naming any names, they also said that they “intend to make our game software compatible with the next-generation game machines, which are due to be launched.”

Sega game incoming?

Valkyria Chronicles HD please...

B.O.O.M

Agreed about the release date. But you would hope he wouldn't be over-hyping a game like this over a year before it's release. That's like throwing a thimble half-full of water into a room full of dehydrated people.

haha come on now..this is the gaming industry. Publishers hype things up with plenty of time till release. Most games are revealed with at least a one year ahead of release nowadays

friz898

Well the obvious answer seems:

If it's Sega and
If it's a P Game.

Official Phantasy Star Online 2 announcement?

But surely they wouldn't count that.

I'm also thinking Patapon 4.

Red Dead Stories is just too perfect, and wont happen.
Similar to FFXI or Elder Scrolls Vita. Just too perfect to happen.

Borderlands Vita would be a good game with potential, but nothing I would go crazy for.

GT Vita has potential to be big, as long as it's not just some lesser console cross-buy or something. Like NFS was for Vita. Nono, they did a good job for it, but it wasn't an exclusive so..

I don't know guys, I really hope it's something as big as this kind of stuff.

Edit:

By the way: How come more people don't think it's FF Type-0? Wouldn't that make sense because it's SCEE teasing it, and not SCEJ?

Oh and as for Minecraft. Ya, I agree it'd move units, I surely don't understand Minecraft though. It seems like an MMO world without any life. (I've never played it, don't crucify me. Only going by Youtube vids.)

Moobabe

If it's Sega and
If it's a P Game.

Borderlands Vita would be a good game with potential, but nothing I would go crazy for.

GT Vita has potential to be big, as long as it's not just some lesser console cross-buy or something. Like NFS was for Vita. Nono, they did a good job for it, but it wasn't an exclusive so..

Edit:

By the way: How come more people don't think it's FF Type-0? Wouldn't that make sense because it's SCEE teasing it, and not SCEJ?

Oh and as for Minecraft. Ya, I agree it'd move units, I surely don't understand Minecraft though. It seems like an MMO world without any life. (I've never played it, don't crucify me. Only going by Youtube vids.)

Minecraft is like a sandbox construction game with some other stuff thrown in. It's pretty awesome.

I do hope the Vita gets a few more compelling titles though (for my own sake) - I always say I can justify a console pickup if it has 10 titles that I can pick up over the course of a few months and the Vita is almost there for me.

So he said Partners

I am putting off GT for Vita after this new discovery since it is first party product. He is obviously referring to 2nd/third party support here.

Since Square Enix has been pretty close to Sony these days(NEW FF at E3, FF X & X-2 HD for PS3/Vita and KH: HD for PS3). I am leaning towards either FF: Type 0 HD or KH: BBS Sequel.

If not this, which other company is close to Sony? Rockstar? GTA for Vita? Daily fun hours killing hookers and riding motorcycles :p

AmanoBuff

Someone asked him about Type-0 on his Twitter account and he said it depends entirely on the publisher.

This doesn't mean much of course, but I still think something like Type-0 is better suited to be announced by SE themselves in an event like E3 or similar.

Please be excited.

Skyzard

Banned
For those that might not know Tony Clark is Shahids boss........I want to believe, but Tony talkng about Fainting, and blacking out might be alittle overboard, or they really did snag something substantial.

It did seem a bit over the top, exactly. But that might just be his way of emphasizing...exactly. GONNA BE GOOD.

And from the sounds of other tweets (when they said open things up for indies) that screams minecraft to me.

I don't think this is going to end very well for Shahid, but then, I would think that, wouldn't I? We'll see.

From how vague his comments are and how hyped everyone is getting for their favourite game on vita...people will be mad but hopefully quickly get over it if it's a big name. And yes you would think that :p

Well, at least he is aware that hyping people in vain is not nice.

2QhmLPn.png

...there needs to be a leak :p

He has to wait like everyone else.

If it's important he can tell someone who already is a member so that guy can post whatever dude has to say.

Why? His presence would only help neogaf. He's been trying to get moderated for a while now, before this.

The other possibility is that the game, or games in question fall outside of this forecasting period, which games announced a year or so in advance dont seem to move hardware with a few exceptions. All I can say is that Shahid does not seem like hes the uneducated sort, so I believe he would have to know how badly hyping niche, or "lower tier" indie games would go.

he also already confirmed that the main game of conversation is not an indie title, so its hard to know what it could be. This news is already beginning to spread to news sites, and it will likely be everywhere soon, so if they are hyping nothing I hope they are prepared for what comes after.

Also if Minecraft does indeed come I would suspect it would be the same as the PS3/PS4 version as that seems to be the trend.

Yep to everything.

Aurizen

Well, at least he is aware that hyping people in vain is not nice.

2QhmLPn.png

Edit: Btw. Where do you people host images? Is there any standard for GAF? Any help appreciated!

if its truly a hype, it would be good if it is Monster Hunter, or a good RPG made my SE. maybe its finally Type 0? or a cool vita exclusive.

candy crush.... on vita!!

que the "it's f'n nothing" gifs... every time a company tells you to prepare thy anus, it's always nothing spectacular.

Basil

Banned
lol... why are you lot getting so worked up about a Vita game? We know where to keep our expectations set at this point, surely? Stop shovellin' dat coal into the engine for a while.

I'm just hoping this isn't going to end in more Grimshawish style tantrums if it just ends up being a Sony first party title.

spannicus

Gears of War Vita? LMAO we are so desperate for games we are salvating at the mouth lol. Oh boy Sony you starve us just right lol. Give us chicken bones when we want steak dinners.

SmokyDave

lol... why are you lot getting so worked up about a Vita game? We know where to keep our expectations set at this point, surely? Stop shovellin' dat coal into the engine for a while.

I'm just hoping this isn't going to end in more Grimshawish style tantrums if it just ends up being a Sony first party title.
Personally I'm happy because I know at least one Sony employee can see value in the Vita. To be honest, I don't really care what it is, unless it's a JRPG, I'm buying it.

winjet81

If it's Sega and
If it's a P Game.

Edit:

They are using the words 'amazing' 'blackout' and 'fainted' to describe their thoughts around this game(s), so it can't be anything as expected and obvious as Patapon and GT.

The words they're describing indicate that a new Vita GTA or MGS is in the works or a program is in place to put a good percentage of PS2 games onto the PS store that are 100% playable on Vita.

My guess? New GoW and/or GT announced... ho hum.

Top Bottom