• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One has Bluray drive, 8GB ram, 8 core CPU 500GB HDD, 3 Operating systems

Durante

Durante can you elobarate on this part ?
Just read the older specs thread for pages upon pages of discussion on why simply adding up bandwidth numbers from multiple memory pools makes very little sense.

Can someone please dumbify all this tech talk for me?

Both XBO and PS4 has 8GB of ram and I kept hearing the word 1.2flop but this wasn't mentioned on the sheet.

Is it confirmed that XBO ram is inferior/Slower than the one in the PS4, and if so. Just how much weaker of a system is? (Is like like comparing the N64 to Dreamcast?)
If the rumours are true (and at this point that seems incredibly likely) then PS4's GPU is more powerful than XB1's, by a good margin. No where near the difference between N64 and Dreamcast though.

3 Operating Systems?

That doesn't even make sense. And worse, it sounds awful . . . sounds like a kludge.

Microsoft, I know your biz is Operating Systems but people want them to be efficient.

Saying your system has 3 Operating systems makes your system sound awful, not good.

What all did Reiko give scoops about?
Is that why they were banned?

Sorry for going OT, here are some of Reiko's comments regarding his gaf-permaban from B3D. I'm not if it's appropriate to post them here, so mods please feel free to remove this post if needed:

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1737388&postcount=3469
http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1737417&postcount=3478
http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1737451&postcount=3488
http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1737613&postcount=3515
http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1737642&postcount=3519

DieH@rd

Banned
Can someone please dumbify all this tech talk for me?

Both XBO and PS4 has 8GB of ram and I kept hearing the word 1.2flop but this wasn't mentioned on the sheet.

Is it confirmed that XBO ram is inferior/Slower than the one in the PS4, and if so. Just how much weaker of a system is? (Is like like comparing the N64 to Dreamcast?)

- Both have 8 core Jaguar X86 CPU [lowpowered ahitecture aimed at ultrabook-grade laptops].

- PS4 has 8 gigs of GDDR5 ram, Xbox One has 8 gigs of DDR3 ram that is 3x slower than GDDR5. To offset that, XO GPU has 32megs of onboard cache that is 60% faster than DDR3.

- PS4 GPU is 50% more powerful at same clock speeds, and there is a very high chance that PS4 OS will require less processing power/ram to work.

All in all, XB has more complicated architecture, with slower hardware, and beefier OS. Sony clearly aimed to create GAME console, MS aimed to create cheaper ENTERTAINMENT box.

- Both have 8 core Jaguar X86 CPU [lowpowered ahitecture aimed at ultrabook-grade laptops].

- PS4 has 8 gigs of GDDR5 ram, Xbox One has 8 gigs of DDR3 ram that is 3x slower than GDDR5. To offset that, XO GPU has 32megs of onboard cache that is 60% faster than DDR3.

- PS4 GPU is 50% more powerful at same clock speeds, and there is a very high chance that PS4 OS will require less processing power/ram to work.

All in all, XB has more complicated architecture, with slower hardware, and beefier OS. Sony clearly aimed to create GAME console, MS aimed to create cheaper ENTERTAINMENT box.

In what way or form is this dumbifying it? I have no idea what you just told.

Wow I feel so bad about this, Reiko was a super cool guy :(

wat the fuck bro?

Sydle

What is Cerny doing at this moment, laughing his ass off?

Over what? What little games were shown thus far on both systems look about the same, but Xbox One is taking the lead in making the all-in-one entertainment box a reality. Additionally, MS stated very clearly they have 15 exclusives coming in year 1.

I don't think we have enough info on either one to say who has the upper hand. I certainly wouldn't be laughing if a corporate giant like MS is putting all of its resources behind taking the Xbox brand to the next level.

Durante

Many sites are reporting 1.6 GHz for the CPU. Where did that number originate?

I don't think we have enough info on either one to say who has the upper hand.
Actually, at least in this hardware specs thread, it seems quite safe to say now that Sony has the upper hand.

Hex

Banned
No. I've seen avatars still active on temp ban members.

He's perm-

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1737388&postcount=3469

If you keep reading he explains it's not really his fault for the false info.

It is always people's own fault.
They want to be the super cool person with the secret info.
There is a reason that the person that he was getting information from was not giving the information themselves.
You do not go spouting stupid information as truth unless you yourself know it for fact, that is the bottom line of it, otherwise you are a fool and an idiot and have nobody to blame for yourself.

Averon

5 for games and 3 for the OS is ridiculous. MS clearly made the One as a set-top box that happens to play games.

Over what? What little games were shown thus far on both systems look about the same, but Xbox One is taking the lead in making the all-in-one entertainment box a reality. Additionally, MS stated very clearly they have 15 exclusives coming in year 1.

I don't think we have enough info on either one to say who has the upper hand. I certainly wouldn't be laughing if a corporate giant like MS is putting all of its resources behind taking the Xbox brand to the next level.

Over the hardware design I'm assuming.

joesiv

How exactly does having 3 operating systems make the lives of developers easier?

Shouldn't affect anything really. The only OS that developers will care about is the Xbox one. The other 2 OS's are just for web apps, skype, IE, and the OS for managing the switching between them.

Toki767

jvIdaakjVauK5.PNG

Raide

3 Operating Systems?

That doesn't even make sense. And worse, it sounds awful . . . sounds like a kludge.

Microsoft, I know your biz is Operating Systems but people want them to be efficient.

Saying your system has 3 Operating systems makes your system sound awful, not good.

I know this was a press event but if the OS runs anything like the event, it seems damn efficient to me. Win 8 is silky smooth, so I expect the XB1 to be as well. Of course when it is cluttered with feeds and content, then it might start to grind. Hopefully they have thought enough about that going forward.

Hex

Banned

15 exclusives are great, but do you not think if any of them had any weight they would have given a name?
Exclusive means nothing in and of itself.

Kinect Disneyland Adventures was an Exclusive and a new IP, they did not even say if they were all retail titles or if some might be live titles.
As far as taking the lead in making an all in one entertainment box, they will have to do quite a bit more than that.
Their hardware specs are lacking, this is not hyperbole this is fact now.
Money hats will only get them so far.

3 Operating Systems?

Well, the 3 gigabytes of RAM reserved for Less make a lot more sense now.

IF deep 3 gigs of ram Reserve OS is true, then the PlayStation 4 will have the advantage in both amount of ram available foe games and speed of RAM.

OmahaG8

My hype has worn off and. . . I have found myself turning to Sony to show me the way for the first time since '96.

Godspeed, Sony. Take down this juggernaut.

Sadly, my protest will be in the form of not buying the XBox One on day one - something I do all other consoles.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Now we know why only 5 gigs for games. 3 OS to suck up a ton of ram and CPU time. Sony will have easy skating. They can half has PS4 games and still look a ton better with 50% better GPU and 2 more gigs of faster ram for games.

Well I am not a techi but 5 billion transistors sounds a lot if you start looking around what hardware they can have. Well, they can count in more than the CPU and the GPU but what can these numbers be for the other stuff. GTX 680 has 3.5 billions transistors. A medium PC CPU 1.5 billon transistors or maybe lower. Plus the Xbox one will have power from the cloud. Help me

thuway

So many must be gutted right now. Countless fans and hopefuls wishing for better hardware (myself included). There was no secret sauce, no hardware bump. Every rumour was true, and you know what, I bet at one point it was always online only too, and probably changed course because of the extreme negative response from the public. Fuck me....

It was. Internally at Microsoft there was a big fight about this requirement.

Sydle

15 exclusives are great, but do you not think if any of them had any weight they would have given a name?

Kinect Disneyland Adventures was an Exclusive and a new IP, they did not even say if they were all retail titles or if some might be live titles.
As far as taking the lead in making an all in one entertainment box, they will have to do quite a bit more than that.

The most powerful console has NEVER won a generation. Ever.

From what info we have right now there is no telling which way this will go. GAF has never been a good barometer on mass consumers' interests and what drives intent to purchase. That certainly didn't change today.

AndyH

Neo Member
It was. Internally at Microsoft there was a big fight about this requirement.

You are right. At one point the console wouldn't even function without being connected to the internet. No surprise they eased off that after seeing the huge negative backlash that swept the internet recently following the leaks of that requirement.

Persona7

Banned
I just hope they can nail down the time it takes to populate content on the system. 360 is fine until you have a ton of games installed and it starts taking forever.

Cosmozone

When I read 3 OS, I was initially thinking for a heartbeat that they planned to install three OSes coexisting on the same platform, lol.

Anyway, just as with the PS4 I think 8 gigs is overkill, but in this case MS had no choice or else they would be out of the numbers game.

Yup, MS isn't going to announce any new games for the Xbox One.

Shambles

The most powerful console has NEVER won a generation. Ever.

From what info we have right now there is no telling which way this will go. GAF has never been a good barometer on mass consumers' interests and what drives intent to purchase. That certainly didn't change today.

Why would we give a damn which console "wins". I've always bought my consoles based on which would give me the best experience. I didn't pick out a piece of crap just so I could say I'm on the 'winning' team.

Top Bottom