• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New QuakeWars screenies

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

two more here
http://videogamerx.gamedonga.co.kr/bbs/view.php?id=usernews&no=14436

Night map looks cool! Probably from the Pee-see version

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Looks very pretty, I agree with the previous reply, release the game already! I hate getting tons of media 2 years before a games release.

I hope it's fun, Enemy Territory was awesome and this looks like a lot of fun.

rs7k

A bit blocky in parts (doom 3 engine, right?), but it looks amazing. The screenshots with the dark scenes look very moody.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Looks good. But not up to ID's super high graphics standards of the past. Has the industry caught up to them now?

mckmas8808 said:
Looks good. But not up to ID's super high graphics standards of the past. Has the industry caught up to them now?

This isn't internally developed by iD. It's using a modified Doom 3 engine. Don't worry, iD's next engine will once again wipe the floor with everything else.

mckmas8808 said:

kinda

....I mean, the D3 engine never really got off the ground imo....most seemed to skip it and move to Unreal3

rs7k

AgentOtaku said:
kinda

....I mean, the D3 engine never really got off the ground imo....most seemed to skip it and moved to Unreal3

Bad timing. If the Xbox 360 hadn't been released so early, Doom 3 would have been used a lot more.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I really thought we'd be playing this by now. It's already aging.

syllogism

Doom_Bringer said:
He has been at it for a while, 360 is the lead platform for the engine and the game is multiplatform. That's all we know

Well, at least at QuakeCon last year he said PC is still the primary platform. Considering it's still ways off it would be odd for a then aged console be the "lead platform". It's Carmack after all.

syllogism said:
Well, at least at QuakeCon last year he said PC is still the primary platform. Considering it's still ways off it would be odd for a then aged console be the "lead platform". It's Carmack after all.
Carmack getting down and dirty with dx10. Hot Hot Hot!

Busty

Banned
I still can't get over the fact that the console versions will only feature 16 player online multiplayer.

A definite tick in the win column for the PC version IHMO.

Jacobi

Banned
I just almost pissed my pants. Didn't have to do anything with the screens though.

But man, PC is on a roll this year, if Stranglehold, Quake Wars, Left4Dead, Ut2K7 get released..this year.

Busty said:
I still can't get over the fact that the console versions will only feature 16 player online multiplayer.

A definite tick in the win column for the PC version IHMO.
Mods&Maps are a bigger advantage for me.

theBishop

Banned
this used to be my most anticipated game... like 2 years ago.

I'm starting to lose interest as other next-gen projects start cropping up.

but these screens do look good.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
FFChris said:
Please enlighten us.

It means the entire terrain is rendered with one giant texture instead of hundreds of little ones. Takes up less memory, loads faster, and completely removes texture seams. That's it, it isn't something designed to make the game look amazing or anything.

mckmas8808 said:
Well this game here incorporates both massive terrains and massive amounts of players and vehicles. It's just like comparing the gfx of a sandbox game with a streamlined game like HL2.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Schafer said:
It means the entire terrain is rendered with one giant texture instead of hundreds of little ones. Takes up less memory, loads faster, and completely removes texture seams. That's it, it isn't something designed to make the game look amazing or anything.
It seems to be more of an artistic decision than a performance decision. They page parts of the megatexture into memory to avoid running out of texture memory. This allows them to use many different types of high quality textures in the same level.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Phife Dawg said:
Well this game here incorporates both massive terrains and massive amounts of players and vehicles. It's just like comparing the gfx of a sandbox game with a streamlined game like HL2.

Naw man. There's games out there that are coming out that are sandbox types that rival this game's looks alot. I didn't expect that, but somebody said here that it's not internally made by ID so that's probably why it doesn't look as good as I expected.

aeolist

Banned
I don't give a shit how it looks, WolfET is still one of the top online shooters and it's on the goddamned Quake 3 engine.

Deja vu here. I think I have to say this every time someone bitches about the game.

Hell, I'm glad it looks like this. It's nice, but not so nice that I doubt my machine's ability to run it smoothly.

mckmas8808 said:
Naw man. There's games out there that are coming out that are sandbox types that rival this game's looks alot. I didn't expect that, but somebody said here that it's not internally made by ID so that's probably why it doesn't look as good as I expected.
Which ones are you thinking of? We have seen QW in playable form and it looked great, not that it matters in the end but that's the whole discussion. So which comparable game looks so much better that it's safe to say the industry have caught up to id? It looks heaps better than BF2 or that mecha BF (2140? have only played the demo). It also looks better than Warhawk, which is pretty comparable from scope.

Borys

Banned
HydrantC12 said:
The textures are.....how do you put it...mega. Yeah thats it.

:lol

Also mcmas - it's running on a modififed Doom III engine. And Doom 3 engine was first shown in 2001.

That's 6 years old tech. There wasn't even Direct X 9 then. Kind of puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

It's no Crysis.

FightyF

Banned
Borys said:
:lol

Also mcmas - it's running on a modififed Doom III engine. And Doom 3 engine was first shown in 2001.

That's 6 years old tech. There wasn't even Direct X 9 then. Kind of puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

It's no Crysis.

What kind of machine am I supposed to have to run this game with a decent amount of detail at a decent resolution with a decent framerate? Now compare that to what I would need for Crysis...

I find Crysis to be impressive...but I'm sure most devs can do the same, with enough CPU power. I played around with making Far Cry levels for the PC, and you could have some stellar looking stuff but it slowed to a crawl in the editor/game. This is why I'm not as impressed as other people are. If a game like that can run on the PS3/360 at 30 fps...THEN I'm really impressed. Otherwise, I don't really care...I'm not gonna spend $2000+ for that game.

mr_nothin

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
What kind of machine am I supposed to have to run this game with a decent amount of detail at a decent resolution with a decent framerate? Now compare that to what I would need for Crysis...

I find Crysis to be impressive...but I'm sure most devs can do the same, with enough CPU power. I played around with making Far Cry levels for the PC, and you could have some stellar looking stuff but it slowed to a crawl in the editor/game. This is why I'm not as impressed as other people are. If a game like that can run on the PS3/360 at 30 fps...THEN I'm really impressed. Otherwise, I don't really care...I'm not gonna spend $2000+ for that game.
Did you optimize your map?

Even the smallest simplest things can slow down a map considerably...

So is the Xbox 360 going to actually have a good port of this game or it it going to be the same situation as Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (inferior version) to Battlefield 2 (highly superior version) on PC shitfest?

I really, really want the game to come through intact. None of this downgrading bullshit they keep pulling on us.

Top Bottom