• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatDude

Banned
2 things

What's better for audio, surround sound or headphones? Bear in mind that to play with the surround sound, I'd have to play it in the light, which is not preferable.

I definitely think it's preference...and expenses. But I think I prefer headphones a bit more..feel a bit more close and personal that way.

Is there an easy way to find out if my headphones are splitting audio properly for the surround, and if the audio quality is sufficient? They're pretty cheap.

Not really sure tbh. Hopefully someone can answer your question more efficiently.

Btw, what headphones do you currently have?

I definitely think it's preference...and expenses. But I think I prefer headphones a bit more..feel a bit more close and personal that way.

Not really sure tbh. Hopefully someone can answer your question more efficiently.

Btw, what headphones do you currently have?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000068TZ4/

Never used them for anything that would be greatly improved by a better pair. Sat on the Sennheisers and snapped on of the earpieces off :(

:p

"Splitting for surround"? They are stereo right?

Soundquality you just have to hear for yourself

I'll be honest, I know less about sound than whoever greenlit that Metallica/Lou Reed collaberation :D

Wasn't sure if the headphones made any difference for that kind of thing. So it's literally as simple as the game saying 'this sound comes out of the left earpiece, that sound comes out of the right one'? No chance of noises that are supposed to be on the left accidentally coming out of the right?

I'll be honest, I know less about sound than whoever greenlit that Metallica/Lou Reed collaberation :D

Wasn't sure if the headphones made any difference for that kind of thing. So it's literally as simple as the game saying 'this sound comes out of the left earpiece, that sound comes out of the right one'? No chance of noises that are supposed to be on the left accidentally coming out of the right?

You have to take into account how the speakers inside the headphone handle with low and high pitch noises, how it handles the bass and if there is any 'grain' on the background.

Imo Philips headphones are not known for their perfect sound, especially not when it comes down to hearing every single little thing that is present in games.

It is not just about hearing stuff from the left and right speaker. It is mostly about the clarity.

iuuk

Sound is so ridiculously personal that no one on GAF can decide for you whether or not you think the difference in sound quality is worth it, but there is a difference.

As I mentioned on a previous page I use these:
Q1662Kk.jpg

(Beyerdynamic DT880)
and they greatly enhance my experience. To me, there's definitely a better immersion with headphones, and this is my preferred pair.

Septimius

Do you have headphones on? If you do, you can see just why headphones can be about.. one thousand times better than surround sound to replicate the soundstage around you, and give you spatial awareness:

The Integerrogation Chamber
Virtual barbershop

These are binaural sounds. They don't replicate spatial awareness, they let your brain figure out where everything is in the room. It doesn't try and assume things on your brain's part, it just lets you figure it out yourself. This is why surround headphones are a marketing gimmick (as if placing 3 speakers within a tiny headphone will surmount to anything), and a good set of headphones is all you ever need.

The DT880s are great. I use the Beyerdynamic T1s myself.

Quite insane.

Cheers guys. How's the sound quality on those Pulses? And any word yet on whether they'll be PS4 compatible?

You could get a FiiO E17. It has optical in, so assuming the PS4 has optical out, you can hook them straight to your FiiO E17 headphone amp and have pretty amazing sound. I also own one of the market's best DAC and headphone amp, and the E17 does an honestly good job compared to those.

Septimius

Just a heads up, stay away from stream chats when watching E3 conferences. Spoiler trolls are everywhere.

I never did get spoiler trolls. Experience a moment of despair from someone and in turn ruin a game for them? People be assholes, though. Good advice, I'll be sure to remember it :)

Erasus

Im pretty sure they did a stereo mix :p So what you are describing probably wont happen.

The thing that is going to differ is the clarity in the sound if you get more expensive headphones.

Pachimari

I'm really not sure yet. I'm gonna test out some things. The high point of the game were the opening though, only because it floored me right away.

There's a lot of shoot out scenarios but of course you can decide to stealth but they feel like they're the same bunch of goons every time.

Anyway, great game no doubt. :)

Apparently it took me 17 hours and 50 minutes to complete. But does it count when I'm in the Start menu? Cause sometimes I just let the game stay on when I were doing other stuff cause I didn't want t go through the loading every time the campaign starts up.

Pachimari

Another question, if I start a new game can I save on top of the one save game I have completed the game on? Or will I lose my whole progress then?

Hearing so many people say that it took them 17-18 hours makes me really happy. They weren't kidding when they said that it's a long game.

DrBo42

Just played the demo for the first time. Probably the most tension I've ever experienced in game. Love that they lifted the quick turn from RE.

Go with the sony's elite pro. 7.1 and really good sound + bass impact. It's ideal for games like this. And they're pretty future proof.

Would rather go for the Pulse for the headset capability. Think I'll make do with my current headphones and get some Pulses when they drop in price.

Cheers anyway :)

nib95

Banned
The DT880s are great. I use the Beyerdynamic T1s myself.

Quite insane.

You could get a FiiO E17. It has optical in, so assuming the PS4 has optical out, you can hook them straight to your FiiO E17 headphone amp and have pretty amazing sound. I also own one of the market's best DAC and headphone amp, and the E17 does an honestly good job compared to those.

Fellow T1 user here! And yea, PS3 does have optical out.

vladdamad

Can we get some more spoiler-free impressions from those of you that already have the game? Is it really as fantastic as the reviews suggest? Because judging from the gameplay footage it doesn't seem like game of the generation material

Can we get some more spoiler-free impressions from those of you that already have the game? Is it really as fantastic as the reviews suggest? Because judging from the gameplay footage it doesn't seem like game of the generation material
Yes, this please

Plus any impressions on new game plus and differences between normal, hard, and survivor

The_Monk

Hello fellow GAFfers I know this is kind off topic but I thought GAF would find these interesting.

How Lisbon (Portugal) would look in The Last of Us setting

Before:

NHK82hHl.jpg

After:

gC5ni4Bl.jpg

Before:

VXc1cbbl.jpg

After:

AgPltuwl.jpg

:)

Hello fellow GAFfers I know this is kind off topic but I thought GAF would find these interesting.

Before:

NHK82hHl.jpg

After:

gC5ni4Bl.jpg

Before:

VXc1cbbl.jpg

After:

AgPltuwl.jpg

Reminds me of the show: Life after Humans. Showing what would happen if Humans weren't there to properly maintain the structures they have built. Fascinating stuff.

iNvid02

Still no OT? : /

OT will be up in an hour or so

>:D

very nice, thanks for sharing

also, i know its not the greatest barometer to assess a game's potential sales but bear in mind, the UK does have the largest percentage of people who shop online so its gotta be worth something that

on amazon, tlou has been in the best sellers for over 3 months now, and as far as i can remember it hasn't shifted from the top spot for some time now - i just see this selling exceptionally well for ND

XBL in best seller list for over 6 years now lol

Uf0NgQ3.png

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They give restrictions on Halo being released early, but with TLoU its basically early access. Seems like Naughty Dog doesn't mind it at all.

Lame.

nib95

Banned
Bloody hell guys, give him a break. He must be proper stressed lol. If you guys want it so bad, just offer him a helping hand with some of the design or something. He's making the OT for one of the biggest games ever made, let him flesh it out and get it right.

Gbraga

For people playing it: What does Survivor mode changes?

Also, how does the brightness settings work? Is the night supposed to be grayish in the demo part?

iNvid02

i think anti said pranay was just waiting for his graphics collaborator to send him the designs, so we might just be waiting on them.

at this point i would suggest just taking however long you need, everyone will board the E3 hype train for a few days anyway

I tried a media-blackout, but come to visit this thread once in a while. I just can't keep away from this game. It was a looooong time since I've got this feeling....the waiting for this game is unbearable. I wanna start this right now damnit :/

nib95

Banned
I tried a media-blackout, but come to visit this thread once in a while. I just can't keep away from this game. It was a looooong time since I've got this feeling....the waiting for this game is unbearable. I wanna start this right now damnit :/

To be fair, the wait shouldn't be unbearable. E3 is right around the corner. I reckon those few last days will fly by.

Wonder how many more 10's it needs before it hits 97? Can't read the review unfortunately, no English :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom