• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teleporter

Guys just finished this ride and OH MAN! It was tense, dramatic and not for the weak of heart!
Good job Naughty Dog what a way to end my PS3 cycle!

One thing u should fix on sequel! NO enemies teleport/pop/magic appearing! This was crazy at sometimes... Also better aiming! Even with aim assist perk all the way filled i had some issues with it! Also a fast animation merge between actions wouldn't hurt...

So Ellie survived and shes not the only immune on correct... so whats the big drama on Joe bein truth about the Fireflies? Also in the sequel father/son relation gonna prevail or it will turn more on the man/women side? Cmon shes a preteen but soon she will be a woman no?

AMAZING RIDE!

I waited to finish the game before reading any reviews as I have been on media blackout since the game was announced.

I just finished it so I need some time for everything to sink in and probably another playthrough or two before I can really make up my mind but right now I am thinking this may be the best game I have ever played and it is certainly one of the top three of the generation at the very least.

Sure, opinions are subjective but now that I have finished the game and read Koller's Polygon review it is completely unjustifiable. Even if the violence was a bit much or it wasn't your type of game the mastery of every aspect of the game on display is without question and virtually unparalleled.

And I have seen some complaints about the gameplay but it is really the best part of the entire game IMO. So tense and amazing. The problem is that its different and you can't just run and gun but for very good reasons.

I actually really feel bad for people that didn't like this game. They are missing out on something amazing. It would be like someone going to thee Grand Canyon and not looking in because they are complaining that the walk is too far, its too hot, and they have a stone in their shoe. I guess some people just like bitching even if it ruins their enjoyment of amazing stuff.

The Grand Canyon of video games. talking about hyperbole

I wanted to make a thread about Tom "I hate everything" Chick on 2.45, but being a new member i obviously couldn't.

His review of TLoU bought him to my attention and after reading how so many gafers think he is one of the most respected and honest reviewers in the gaming community makes me slightly mad.

I know mainstream sites like IGN and GT is all hype machine, eg rating games like CODMW3 highly even though it was clone of MW2, but Tom Chick really comes off as a egotistical and pretentious critic and shouldn't be included in metacritic.

Yes, his reviews are actually pretty positive for most games like TLoU etc, but lines like

The Last of Us is the most emotionally resonant game you will ever play about plank, ladder, and pallet management. To be fair you’ll sometimes scooch dumpsters around. At one point, you scooch a piano.

Statements like the abovemakes him come up as arrogant and haven't paid attention to the game or (havent even finished the game). I mean yes there were lots of ladders and planks but a lot of times the game played on players expectation and made the player go "OH, lol". He also goes on to criticize the gameplay, calling it "pedestrian" which is far from the truth if he even bothered to notice the amazing job ND has done the balance between stealth and gun-play, compared to many games where you get discovered and you are plunged into a dissatisfying shoot-out where you just either die immediately or are forced to gun down every enemy as fast as possible, and the transition between stealth and being discovered as suddenly Joel becomes overwhelmed before turning the tables again to become the hunter is a unique aspect of the game as well. The game also allows you to approach an engagement in many ways, using bomb traps, smoke or the bow or all of them.

And onto the scaling of Tom itself, which he claims to be how much he liked the game. If everyone could just review games by how much they liked a game, then amazing RPGs would be getting low scores because the reviewer simply wasn't into RPGs, like how im not into fighting games and is probably not in a position to make a judgement on the latest Tekken.

Rating a game on purely how much you like it also means you don't take into account the value of the game itself, for example Tom rated Star Wars Pinball a 5 while TLoU and Bioshock Infinite a 3. SW Pinball mightve achieved the pinnacle of Pinball gameplay, but it doesn't take into account the artistic merit of games like TLoU and BI. Its like rating the latest American Pie an 8 while a movie like The Godfather or Children of Men gets a 7 rating. Does that mean American Pie is a better movie just cause it was the best movie in its genre? Games like TLoU are crafted with a lot of thought put into it, its a marriage of visual art, music, gameplay, acting, story telling and a whole mire of other things, and obviously flaws like shonky friendly AI walking infront of enemy LOS is going to be more glaring, and a score system where its all about HOW MUCH I LIKED IT doesn't really do it justice.

It seems where a lot of Tom Chick is coming from is cause ya' know, games suck these days and are over hyped and dumbed down, so im just gonna go in with no expectation and no hype even though what im really doing is going in with my mind already made up, that is that if a game is getting rave reviews, its probably overated and im gonna nitpick it.

this is the BS he spouts in the BI review comments section

Why is it unprofessional? A review is an attempt to articulate your experience with a game, movie, book, or what have you. The rating is simply shorthand for how much you liked it. I don't know how you get this silly idea that a rating "isn't your own choice". What an absurd comment, but hardly unexpected coming from someone who wants me to kill myself.

If you expect a rating to somehow magically reflect the quality of a work of entertainment, you're expecting something they don't provide. A review is never going to be an objective measure of the quality of an inherently subjective experience. What you want is quite literally impossible.

I mean what the hell? He is going all philosophical BS on us? "A review is never going to be an objective measure of the quality of an inherently subjective experience."

Journalist have a responsibility in their reviews to reflect the quality of the work being reviewed. Let me just quote some random off the comment section on the EGM ACM review

What are you people talking about? "It' just his opinion, and everybody can state their opinions as they please..." now, this really is bulls**t! This is a matter of journalistic responsibility, it's not "just an opinion" to review a game only to his own liking, fandom or paycheck. Would it be "just an opinion" to you if a consumer journal would rate an unhealthy peace of fast food junk as a gourmet fitness meal perfectly suitable for your kids? No? Why not, it's just an opinion after all..

SO NO TOM CHICK! A review is not simply a shorthand for how much you like a game, you are simply twisting things because you are old and cynical. And this is coming from a PC gamer who plays "hardcore gamez" like IL2 and Eve online

/ RANT

I've been playing games for 30 years and honestly, anybody who can't at least appreciate this game on a design level is a philistine. Like really, you shouldn't be reviewing games for a living. There are certain things about a medium that you can't just hide behind your "it's my precious opinion" shield.

iqcSPUfUQSmhf.gif

IMO one of the thing that is lightly touched upon by critics is the almost seamless blend between gameplay and storytelling which is a rare for shooter games with a very cinematic feel and weighty story.

Past games like Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite and Uncharted are merely stepping stones in my opinion to what is achieved in TLoU. This game is one of the few games where an obvious dissonance between gameplay and story doesnt occur, and this is relevant in games such as Tomb Raider and Bioshock (more the former) and also Unchartered.

Uncharted was cinematic and had huge set pieces but during gameplay, it still felt and looked like a game with generic enemies soaking up round after round of AK47 bullet while drake spun around like a spastic bullet hose.

Tomb Raider in my opinion improved upon this but as soon as Lara starts getting weapons, she becomes a mass murderer even though gameplay and gunplay was much more cinematic and akin to Last of Us.

Bioshock Infinite, on the other hand had less dissonance due to the context and nature of Booker Dewitt, who was a Pinkerton Agent and war vet, but it was pulled back by a very traditional FPS mechanics which made the gameplay (though fun) felt somewhat of a trudge in order to get to the awesome story and cinematic.

I reckon the closest game that WAS close to achieving this, is probably COD4, as scenarios and characters felt right and you played multiple characters. After that the series just went all bananas with Makarov and stuff having rediculous set pieces.

And oh yeah HL2 was pretty good, minus the floating camera prota gonist, and his superhuman abilities

D+Pad Magazine 10/10
The Last of Us is the type of game that could only be crafted by a developer willing to take risks. Were Naughty Dog to have thrown its money at yearly iterations of Uncharted, it would likely still have found its audience, but with The Last of Us it has struck out in a bold new direction that asks some very big questions about some of the fundamental aspects of videogame culture and the relationship that exists between gamer and game.

TLOU currently has 37 perfect reviews on Metacritic. It is getting dangerously close to 40 perfect reviews of Uncharted 2 and it has only got 86 critc reviews as opposed to 105 of Uncharted 2. Will it surpass Uncharted 2 as the highest reviewed ND game?

Well listen mode was more an ability added to assist players who didn't want to spend hours to pass one area, so it wasn't too frustrating and made the game unplayable for a lot of people, and besides it could be turned off. Yes Joel cant possibly punch to death that many hunters and infected to death in real life, that's just something games have to deal with and minimize in order to satisfy gameplay requirements and go all bananas where suspension of disbelief becomes rather hard. But TLoU is probably the best i seen do that, the melee system feels brutal and has impact, and you feel powerful but you still cant just run up to a group and punch everyone as you quickly become gunned down (not invincible during melee animations) or get swarmed.

Well Joel has "super hearing" as well and can punch almost infinite amount of regular infected to death with his bare hands.

He also can fashion proximity bombs out of a scissor and a tin can, consume canned food to heal bullet wounds, and hold 10 weapons + ammo in a 12 x 12 x 6 backpack.

nib95

Banned
If that 7.5 and 6/10 weren't there this would be at a 97.

Shame. Disagree strongly with those two negative reviews as well. Even more with the journo that reviewed this game for Gamespot. 95 is still epic mind. This game will go down in history imo.

NIGHT-

Half way into the game and I'm just not feeling it. The graphics, story and production level are through the roof. But the game is just not fun to play at all... Much like the Uncharted games, it's weakest point is the combat. I'll push on because the 2nd half is apparently better.

So Ellie survived and shes not the only immune on correct... so whats the big drama on Joe bein truth about the Fireflies? Also in the sequel father/son relation gonna prevail or it will turn more on the man/women side? Cmon shes a preteen but soon she will be a woman no?

She is the only immune that we know of, Joel knows that she would have probably sacrificed herself for a cure so he killed the Firefly leader to stop them coming after Ellie and then told her a big fat lie that there are other immune to protect her even though deep down I think she knows that he is lying.

MrKnives

Half way into the game and I'm just not feeling it. The graphics, story and production level are through the roof. But the game is just not fun to play at all... Much like the Uncharted games, it's weakest point is the combat. I'll push on because the 2nd half is apparently better.

I hate when games force you to play before it starts to get better. I loved it from the start to finish but yes, 2nd half is a bit better so if you are not completely out of it yet, try to finish it.

That said, not all games are for everyone. If you don't like then you just don't like. You enjoy different kinda games, nothing wrong with that. People take liking and not liking things too seriously.

I'm still trying to finish the latest Bioshock because I find it boring and repetitive. Whenever I quit I can't seem to get myself to start it again.

nib95

Banned

Different strokes and all that. I think the gunplay and combat is the best I've experienced in a third person shooter. Hyper threatening, realistic and tactical.

Melchiah

I dunno if this has already been posted, but here's some scores and snippets from the Finnish press.

29dqh39.jpg

Translated:

"The Last of Us is an outstanding mammoth of a game, an event, that happens only a handful of times per generation."

"This is the game event of the year!"

"The game gave me everything I want from a good gaming experience."

"... The Last of Us may be the best thing this console generation has to offer."

EDIT: The top two quotes are from some of the biggest newspapers in the country, and the first of them one of the most highly regarded.

If that 7.5 and 6/10 weren't there this would be at a 97.

Yea, pretty nuts that you could give it that.

And I always hear that, you shouldn't judge reviews based on other reviews from the site -- because they aren't always the same person. But then if everyone on that site is reviewing based on their own metric, what is the point of the review? Isn't it to compare and to judge if it is good or not? If a 7 is REALLY GOOD for this one guy, but bad from another guy. Then how is that helpful? It's weird to interpret scores differently between games... it should be a flat out; terrible, really bad, bad, ok, good, really good, amazing.

And then seeing Resident Evil Revelations getting a higher score just boggles my mind. I played through that and just couldn't help but snicker the whole time.

nib95

Banned
Okay folks, because I hate myself I ran the numbers.

I looked through the reviews for all PS3 and 360 exclusives and compared the Metacritic to the Polygon reviews. I don't think I missed any but it's possible.

PS3:
Last of Us
Deadly Premonition DC
God of War Ascension
Sly Cooper Thieves in Time
LBP Karting
Ni No Kuni
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault
Starhawk
Guacamelee

Metacritic PS3 Average: 78.11
Polygon PS3 Average: 68.89
Difference: -9.22
Conclusion: Polygon rates PS3 exclusives lower than the average critic by 9.22 points on a 100 point scale.

360:
Gears of War Judgment
Halo 4
Witcher 2
Dance Central 3
Forza Horizon
Fable Journey
Steel Battalion
Kinect Star Wars

Metacritic 360 Average: 72.38
Polygon 360 Average: 61.88
Difference: -10.5
Conclusion: Polygon rates 360 games 10.5 points lower than the average critic on a 100 point scale.

Remove Kinect games from the equation and the Polygon 360 average is -8.5, which may indicate a slightly less negative bias toward 360 exclusives. However, this is based on only 4 scores, and that makes the estimated average a lot less precise. I would guess that a statistical test would reveal no significant difference between 8.5 and 9.2 based on this small number of observations.

Conclusion: Polygon scores both PS3 and 360 games lower than the Metacritic average. They score 360 games slightly lower, though probably not significantly so. In other words, NOT TEH BIAS.

Use this info however you see fit.

Based on some of the games you've compared in the list, that's a pretty awful comparison lol.

stevil

Okay folks, because I hate myself I ran the numbers.

I looked through the reviews for all PS3 and 360 exclusives and compared the Metacritic to the Polygon reviews. I don't think I missed any but it's possible.

PS3:
Last of Us
Deadly Premonition DC
God of War Ascension
Sly Cooper Thieves in Time
LBP Karting
Ni No Kuni
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault
Starhawk
Guacamelee

Metacritic PS3 Average: 78.11
Polygon PS3 Average: 68.89
Difference: -9.22
Conclusion: Polygon rates PS3 exclusives lower than the average critic by 9.22 points on a 100 point scale.

360:
Gears of War Judgment
Halo 4
Witcher 2
Dance Central 3
Forza Horizon
Fable Journey
Steel Battalion
Kinect Star Wars

Metacritic 360 Average: 72.38
Polygon 360 Average: 61.88
Difference: -10.5
Conclusion: Polygon rates 360 games 10.5 points lower than the average critic on a 100 point scale.

Remove Kinect games from the equation and the Polygon 360 average is -8.5, which may indicate a slightly less negative bias toward 360 exclusives. However, this is based on only 4 scores, and that makes the estimated average a lot less precise. I would guess that a statistical test would reveal no significant difference between 8.5 and 9.2 based on this small number of observations.

Conclusion: Polygon scores both PS3 and 360 games lower than the Metacritic average. They score 360 games slightly lower, though probably not significantly so. In other words, NOT TEH BIAS.

Use this info however you see fit.
nicely done

petran79

Banned
one thing that a few seem to bother though is subtitle quality for foreign languages

I dont mean in-game menus etc but regarding dialogues and narrative.

eg we activated Greek subtitles and while for the first minutes they were very good and what one would call "professional translation", after a certain point in the game one feels they used google translate instead. In some instances they even used the initial English subtitles

I thought they'd correct this with a patch later on, but they remain the same.

for a 60 Euro game, one would expect better quality checking from Sony.
Unfortunately this issue was not addressed by our gaming magazines.
it seems most people play with English subs instead.

have any other language translations except German, French, Spanish etc similar issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom