• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

Love Tom Chick. He confirmed my suspicions, great story, mediocre gameplay. I'm glad I'm waiting for a price drop.

Lol what? TLoU has its issues, but gameplay is not one of them. The game plays really well. The stealth is good and the weapons feel great.

You know what I don't like about this game? There is NO surprise factor! I mean I KNOW when something will come and I KNOW when it's 100% safe and do whatever I want. That's not cool at all :)

They missed out on that...they missed out on that constant fear that there just might be a runner or a clicker or a hunter hidden in "the next room"...

Just like in the old Resident Evil games or Alone in the dark 3

Constant fear...

Play it on survivor mode, no listening mode available.

There's no constant fear in RE games, you have way too much ammo and the zombies are far from fast or deadly.

nib95

Banned

Fucking hell, I don't think I could disagree with this guy more. Every single point he makes, every single one, I disagree with. I feel like he played a completely different game, or took each and every scene a completely different way. He says the women are just used as tropes, but Tess is the most bad ass character in the entire game, and Ellie becomes her own, and in many ways is more courageous than Joel himself.

Also lol at Joel being an evil drug dealer from the beginning.

You know what I don't like about this game? There is NO surprise factor! I mean I KNOW when something will come and I KNOW when it's 100% safe and do whatever I want. That's not cool at all :)

They missed out on that...they missed out on that constant fear that there just might be a runner or a clicker or a hunter hidden in "the next room"...

Constant fear...

Are you playing with Listen mode on? I turned it off within half an hour of the game because it made it way too easy, and killed most of the suspense.

Constant fear...

I think I'm actually thankful for that. the game has a really deliberate up and down tension throughout the game, after a few hour you can feel the flow of the story, the parts where shit's about to get real, and parts that allow you to sit back and relax for some time. I don't know how I'll be able to beat it if it's constant stress and fear throughout the game.

even with the way it is now, I've read some impression that people just can't play the game for too long at a time because it's too stressful and they have to lay it down after an hour or two of playing it.

and I think ND know this and intentionally make the pacing of the game like that.

Love Tom Chick. He confirmed my suspicions, great story, mediocre gameplay. I'm glad I'm waiting for a price drop.

He's full of bullshit. So you ignore dozens of other reviews that go against your suspicions but trust the one that confirms some pre-conceived notion you have of the game.
Your loss.

JawzPause

Fucking hell, I don't think I could disagree with this guy more. Every single point he makes, every single one, I disagree with. I feel like he played a completely different game, or took each and every scene a completely different way. He says the women are just used as tropes, but Tess is the most bad ass character in the entire game, and Ellie becomes her own, and in many ways is more courageous than Joel himself.

Also lol at Joel being an evil drug dealer from the beginning.

Ye I'm watching it now too & can't stand the guy. I respect that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but his points are just complete bs, especially the point I highlighted above. I feel like this guy just wanted to hate the game from the start, nitpicking at every opportunity.

Zemm

Oh man, that Gamespot video is incredible. Even the other two people can't believe what they're hearing. This Tom guy is completely clueless about everything.

Sky Chief

I waited to finish the game before reading any reviews as I have been on media blackout since the game was announced.

I just finished it so I need some time for everything to sink in and probably another playthrough or two before I can really make up my mind but right now I am thinking this may be the best game I have ever played and it is certainly one of the top three of the generation at the very least.

Sure, opinions are subjective but now that I have finished the game and read Koller's Polygon review it is completely unjustifiable. Even if the violence was a bit much or it wasn't your type of game the mastery of every aspect of the game on display is without question and virtually unparalleled.

And I have seen some complaints about the gameplay but it is really the best part of the entire game IMO. So tense and amazing. The problem is that its different and you can't just run and gun but for very good reasons.

I actually really feel bad for people that didn't like this game. They are missing out on something amazing. It would be like someone going to thee Grand Canyon and not looking in because they are complaining that the walk is too far, its too hot, and they have a stone in their shoe. I guess some people just like bitching even if it ruins their enjoyment of amazing stuff.

Ye I'm watching it now too & can't stand the guy. I respect that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but his points are just complete bs, especially the point I highlighted above. I feel like this guy just wanted to hate the game from the start, nitpicking at every opportunity.

Best female characters in a game ever, totally raises the bar for female characters in games. Some guys think they are so smart for going against the popular opinion when a game gets almost universal praise and only end up looking like idiots. All the rest of us can do is get a good laugh out of it.

zoukka

I actually really feel bad for people that didn't like this game. They are missing out on something amazing. It would be like someone going to thee Grand Canyon and not looking in because they are complaining that the walk is too far, its too hot, and they have a stone in their shoe. I guess some people just like bitching even if it ruins their enjoyment of amazing stuff.

Well you can say that about game you really liked and someone else didn't. They didn't "get" it.

Best female characters in a game ever, totally raises the bar for female characters in games. Some guys think they are so smart for going against the popular opinion when a game gets almost universal praise and only end up looking like idiots. All the rest of us can do is get a good laugh out of it.

I don't think there was even that much of woman characterization in tlou tbh. Tess was completely one dimensional and had short exposition. Ellie feels like a "main character" in the sense that she felt too witty and strong to be a believable kid in the middle of the horrible world. I honestly expected more exposition between joel and ellie when I started the game, but they were left quite distant in the end.

Still it all worked in its minimalism and the characters weren't at least annoying or overly exaggerated.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
zoukka said:
All reviews are subjective to their core.

Not entirely true. A review score is unquestionable subjective, but the text can continue multiple observations and qualitative judgements that can be either objective or subjective.

Objectivity is largely a byword for empiricism of process though; as in how rational and free from personal bias were the criteria by which the overall evaluation was made.

nib95

Banned

Or, and this is just an assumption, he just can't handle the reality of the world they created, and is trying his hardest to reject it. It's clear that he thinks the survival instinct is animalistic and barbaric, and absolutely despises it. In many ways it is, but it is also a necessity in the world ND creates. I think his desire to have more characters that exemplify the moral compass we have today in our cozy little world is far fetched and unrealistic. Joel is not an evil man for being a survivor. He is just doing what most people would do in the situation, albeit with more of an emotional barrier than most, largely propagated by the loss of his daughter. But in doing so avoiding the pitfalls and dangers invited to those who don't.

Anyone watch the Gamespot spoilercast show?

The guy who reviewed the game is on there, and I honest to God feel embarrassed for Gamespot that they let this guy review the game.

In the first 10 minutes, the 2 other people are disagreeing with every single point he makes.

The guy is completely fucking clueless. He thinks Joel in the beginning of the game might be selling drugs because he comes home late.

Jesus Christ.

Lmao, what the fuck?

Sky Chief

Well you can say that about game you really liked and someone else didn't. They didn't "get" it.

Yeah, basically what I'm saying is that's their problem, there is something wrong with them that is stopping them from enjoying the game, there is nothing wrong with the game itself.

Liamario

Banned
Having finished the game, I don't how anyone could come to a score of 6/10. He is doing disservice to readers based on his opinion that is contrary to 90% of reviews out there.

When I read a review, I do so, to see if I'd like it. I'm not do concerned about the reviewers own eccentricities about the type of games he likes.
The ideal scenario would be to have someone who 'gets it' review the game. And they can be critical of the game based on similar titles that came before.

Hari Seldon

He's full of bullshit. So you ignore dozens of other reviews that go against your suspicions but trust the one that confirms some pre-conceived notion you have of the game.
Your loss.

His opinions are more in line with my own. I'm bored with linear shooters and I'm only interested in the story, so I'm waiting for the right price. I do plan on picking this game up, it just isn't worth full price for me.

nib95

Banned
This is genuinely difficult to watch.

The more of it I watch, the more of it I disagree with. Tom seems to lack understanding the subtleties of emotion and the contexts behind them. That scene where Joel rages at Ellie, that solidifies his opinion that Joel is a monster, but he gives little regard to what has spurred it on. The fact is Joel is struggling with his inner emotions, he doesn't want to admit he's formed a bond with Ellie, and has conflicting feelings about whether to let her go or open up that barrier and finally let their relationship blossom. It's the pain from the loss of his daughter that plays on his mind. That's why he lashes out.

But ultimately he grows as a character when he decides to take her on the last length of the journey himself, and also open up and believe or focus on something more than just his own survival.

His opinions are more in line with my own. I'm bored with linear shooters and I'm only interested in the story, so I'm waiting for the right price. I do plan on picking this game up, it just isn't worth full price for me.

This is why you should play the game before saying such things. The game is not a linear shooter.

I'll see. Outside of the story, would you recommend this game to someone who got bored with Tomb Raider and Uncharted 3 and never finished either? That is why I'm not trusting the mainstream reviews, because both of those games reviewed great.

I don't think it's anything like Tomb Raider or Uncharted. Gameplay mechanics are very different. Last of Us is more tactical. Weapons are nothing but a means to an end.

kmax

Play it on survivor mode, no listening mode available.

Ditto.

I'm doing that myself and it's literally night and day without listening mode. You don't know what's in the next room, and you're constantly surrounded by runners, clickers and hunters. This is the way the game should be played.

zoukka

I'll see. Outside of the story, would you recommend this game to someone who got bored with Tomb Raider and Uncharted 3 and never finished either? That is why I'm not trusting the mainstream reviews, because both of those games reviewed great.

The gameplay is stealth in its core. Enemies seldom leave any loot, so killing them without losing ammo is very beneficial. You observe their movement patterns and then take them out. Same thing for zombies, they give you no loot at all so you should avoid fighting them always.

The game is linear just like Uncharted games, but the enemy locations are better and the atmosphere is bleak and often pretty scary.

The game is linear just like Uncharted games, but the enemy locations are better and the atmosphere is bleak and often pretty scary.

It's linear, but I wouldn't say it's to the same extent as Uncharted. You often have various routes to get to an exit while in Uncharted you're always guided to a specific route. Plus there are a lot of different areas along those paths to search in TLoU, and real reason to do it since you need the items that you'll find.

nib95

Banned

Hard to say, but it is different. UC3, Tomb Raider etc, they're kind of balls out action games where consequences matter little and ammo and supplies are aplenty. LoU is different. It's more open ended realistic gunplay that offers a fair degree of variety in how you deal with encounters, and also has more of a survival and scavenging edge. Supplies and ammo (especially on harder difficulties) are not abundant, which forces you to constantly balance how you approach combat scenario's. There's also the horror aspects involved in fighting the infected, which adds a different dimension to the combat.

I really, really enjoy this game, but based upon what you've said in this thread, I wouldn't recommend you picking this up at $60. And yea, it's quite linear - maps have a variety of routes and non-essential areas you can explore, but it's always about moving from A to B. For me that wasn't a problem, but if it's a type of design you don't like, you'll probably find the game a bit stale and predictable (ie, combat areas always have waist-high cover, non-combat areas do not).

I seemed to play this differently at times, at first it was all sneaky stealth snake style, i would try and get through without using guns if i could help it. Half way through it was a case of do what ever was easiest to do to get through, if it was stealth, gun fight or just running away it worked for me.

Amir0x

Banned
Good reviews are more objective than subjective.

w...what?

This is objective:

The Last of Us runs at 30fps with some frequent drops.

This is subjective:

I believe the mechanics of The Last of Us are undermined by the game's insistence of forcing you into some combat situations where you can't escape.

How can a 'good review' be more objective than subjective?

Those are completely different games. This is more of a high tension stealth game at heart, the levels are open and you can't just shoot your way out, other games try to portray themselves cinematically to show the characters surviving by the skin of their teeth, in TLOU it happens in gameplay.

JWong

Banned
w...what?

This is objective:

The Last of Us runs at 30fps with some frequent drops.

This is subjective:

I believe the mechanics of The Last of Us are undermined by the game's insistence of forcing you into some combat situations where you can't escape.

How can a 'good review' be more objective than subjective?

To me, they're both objective because the criticism is against the design.

What's not objective is this: "The Last of Us is the most emotionally resonant game you will ever play about plank, ladder, and pallet management." This is an outrageous lie that specifically calls out small parts of the game and ignores all of the character development and drama.

He also goes on to write a paragraph about Ellie's vulnerability implying a sick and twisted child-lover fantasy with Joel.

In his summary, he writes this: "A survival game without meaningful death isn’t a survival game." which every non-roguelike survival game is the same. Then goes on to complain about how he's forced to stealth because of the lack of ammo, but supply consevation is what makes a survival game.

There's so many contradictions, callous comments, and uninformed subjective pieces in his review that shows the lack of objective writing.

graywolf323

Anyone watch the Gamespot spoilercast show?

The guy who reviewed the game is on there, and I honest to God feel embarrassed for Gamespot that they let this guy review the game.

In the first 10 minutes, the 2 other people are disagreeing with every single point he makes.

The guy is completely fucking clueless. He thinks Joel in the beginning of the game might be selling drugs because he comes home late.

Jesus Christ.

already thought GameSpot's review was a joke and this just confirms it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom