• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 PC Bullshot thread of "1 FPS? That's 1 screenshot per second"

One3rd

I hope a cropped hud is OK in this thread, I haven't been able to find a way to remove it otherwise.

iL7aqDB7zPjEJ.png

Oh this is going to be fun. Incredibly robust screenshotting and videomaking built into the game. Not super intuitive to use, but very well featured. This is the first shot I got out of it. I'll post a guide in the compendium soon. Stadium is currently a free beta!!

screenshot02_by_roderickartist-d68ttq5.png

It angers me every time I see a BF3 bullshot or high res shot and realize the missed opportunity they had when they dropped tessellation.

9012529861_940a50f113_o.jpg

SweetFx

Include Information: Every post is to be labelled with the details of shot; that's the name of the game, resolution and any IQ enchancing effects ( Type of AA, how much, nvidia inspector bits, how the image is resized etc. ) ............ This goes for general SweetFX settings as well.

Just want to make sure we stay on track for providing sweetfx settings with screenshots. The idea was to prevent the thread from becoming "hey dude, what are your sweetfx settings?"

kanuuna

Just want to make sure we stay on track for providing sweetfx settings with screenshots. The idea was to prevent the thread from becoming "hey dude, what are your sweetfx settings?"
I'm not 100% sure the settings I've put in place are actually working in BF3, as the changes are quite subtle. Anyways, added. I'm still trying to get a hang of how it works.
On another note, I really wish they wouldn't ban you for using Freecam on Ranked servers and ones with PunkBuster enabled. Hell, even having the ability remove your hands and gun in first person perspective would help.

On another note, I really wish they wouldn't ban you for using Freecam on Ranked servers and ones with PunkBuster enabled. Hell, even having the ability remove your hands and gun in first person perspective would help.
The way VeniceFX hooks into the game could be used to hack the balls out of it. It also includes a way to remove shadows, color grading, etc etc. Probably why it's only for non-PB servers. Personally, I've never been a huge fan of the way that game looks and don't think it's nearly worth all the trouble. I'd take a free camera in Planetside 2 over BF3 any day (not that it looks better, but I find it more "interesting" looking). But I was able to find enough servers without punkbuster to explore BF3.

Isn't there a health pack glitch that does this?

This works with ammo packs. Still does. You sprint into a corner and throw the ammo pack a split second before you reach said corner. A free camera is leaps and bounds better than just not having your gun model out though :)

Don't want to derail the thread too much so here's yet another Planetside 2

9021964762_089e20e0e3_o.jpg

SweetFX

One3rd

Please more screenshoots from Red Orchestra Rising Storm, amazing.

Thanks, I'm definitely enjoying roving around taking pictures. I've been posting most of my RO2 shots in the Hi-Res Screenshot Thread, you can find the (currently) last page of the thread here. Only just started posting in this thread recently.

Here's one I don't think I've posted yet.

iqFT7k8t3sOnW.png

Checkpoint.

Man Mirror's Edge 2 is going to be amazing for bullshots. I'll try to upload some stuff once I get my new rig built. Some ME2 if I'm not too poor to get it. :/

Leks

Are you sure MaLDoHD is activated? I tried the mod three months ago and I don't remember the game looked like... this.

Thorgal

allright just to be sure .

the mod should be installed here right?

C:program Files (x86)Electronic ArtsCrysis 2 Maximum Edition

if this is wrong then smack me.

Anyone ?

Leks

allright just to be sure .

the mod should be installed here right?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crysis 2 Maximum Edition

if this is wrong then smack me.

I have the Steam version, but be sure you follow all the instructions by MaLDo in this post, it's very important to run the mod perfectly. If it doesn't work, I can't tell where does the issue come from. :(

I've never tried either, but what do you guys think looks better: a game at native 1600p or 1600p downsampled to a 1080p screen?

It's an interesting difference between 3d aliasing, and pixel density aliasing. In general I'd say the higher density screen will look better.

afr_friendlyd3d_2013_06_18_20_34_33_117_by_roderickartist-d69ngsp.png

Spazznid

It's an interesting difference between 3d aliasing, and pixel density aliasing. In general I'd say the higher density screen will look better.

afr_friendlyd3d_2013_06_18_20_34_33_117_by_roderickartist-d69ngsp.png

Agreed.

For example, in realtime gameplay, SGSSAA looks much better on my HDTV than downsampling from 4K. However, in images I'd like to think that 4K looks better than, say, 2xSGSSAA. Maybe it also alleviates some issues and incompatibilities some games may have with SGSSAA.

Also, a mix of Downsampling and SMAA or FXAA or TXAA looks better to me than 8x MSAA.

9081914768_83688db58f_o.png

Having played a few games at 4k with 8xSGSSAA, I can never go back :p.

I can't imagine what that would look like on an actual 4k screen.

Or... on a 4k Occulus Rift. I think at that point some sort of singularity occurs and then you kill all the mr. smiths.

Spazznid

Having played a few games at 4k with 8xSGSSAA, I can never go back :p.

I can't imagine what that would look like on an actual 4k screen.

Or... on a 4k Occulus Rift. I think at that point some sort of singularity occurs and then you kill all the mr. smiths.

447px-Manlytears3.jpg

Edited, because I openly take images from their sources.

I know this area has been posted plenty of times before (and that it's not the most interesting shot) but I just got Max Payne 3 for the PC and was surprised by how good it looks, how well it runs, and how nicely it cleans up. Plus this restaurant is really pretty.

maxpayne32013-06-18232dra1.png

antitrop

I miss you guys.

I'll finish The Last of Us tomorrow and I can't wait to jump back into Fraps, but it was totally worth spending the week immersed in the best game of the generation; Even if it does run in 720p at 23-30fps. Actually, I do think it's better than Resident Evil 4 (by a lot, actually), so I guess that makes it the best game of the the last two console generations.

EDIT: Love that Chivalry shot right there. And Spazznid, your work with HL2 is good, as long as you don't take any more shots of that God damn horrendous Alyx model.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I miss you guys.

I'll finish The Last of Us tomorrow and I can't wait to jump back into Fraps, but it was totally worth spending the week immersed in the best game of the generation; Even if it does run in 720p at 23-30fps. Actually, I do think it's better than Resident Evil 4 (by a lot, actually), so I guess that makes it the best game of the the last two console generations.

EDIT: Love that Chivalry shot right there. And Spazznid, your work with HL2 is good, as long as you don't take any more shots of that God damn horrendous Alyx model.

This Last of Us talk is making me all hot.

I sure do wish my PS3 didn't break. Fuck.

Spazznid

I miss you guys.

lol, I can't promise anything. Especially if FAKEFACTORY includes a new model for CM2013.

But I can compromise for now.

Also, not to start an argument, but TLoU is one of the best games I've played recently in a lot of areas, but though I have yet to beat it,
I think it's not the best by a long shot. This year, there've been many games that are great in some areas and lacking in others. TLoU
has amazing storytelling and compelling characters, but as far as the entire story goes, it feels like I'm just going along. There's really
been no scaling way to tell how close I am to my final objective so far, just moment to moment story bits. Those bits are wonderful, but
I dunno, it feels like something's missing. Maybe I just need to beat it twice to see it. I also haven't played the multiplayer yet. Still one
of the greater games I've played, and the execution of the gameplay is prefection. I really wish Tomb Raider felt as intense as TLoU does
in terms of combat and survival.

9087906257_3e80b0abf6_o.png

Sethos

Banned
My main gripe about TLoU is the gameplay. We can all agree it's a beautiful game, made with a lot of care and attention plus a very well executed story to boot. However as for the core game itself, it's obvious they just used a retrofitted uncharted model and the same bullet sponging. When you make a game that is a core survival game, you don't limit ammo to the extreme in both what you can carry and what you can scavenge ( Talking from a Hard mode perspective ) yet at the same time make enemies soak up one bullet after another -- This is humans we're talking about.

When a guy needs 3 shotgun rounds at less than 5-6 meters or when you need to use 2 shots from a pistol at close range to kill someone, it's not even funny. They should have implemented more realistic damage values plus a proper wounding system. Shoot someone in the shoulder, you can see they are in pain and try to run for cover, doing some blindfire, maybe trying to bandage themselves etc. just the feeling of ever shot counting.

Combat and stealth is way, way too basic. hand-2-hand combat is: Press Square x 64 and everything will happen automatically, also contextual environment kills. Oh no, he's trying to hit you! Press Triangle ( Happens rarely ... ) and stealth is boiled down to crouching around and sometimes pressing one button when you are behind someone and to distract, you can throw the oddly placed bricks. I would love to have seen a Metal Gear-ish stealth system and CQB system. At least a better CQB system ...

What's the crack with Ubersampling in W2? Even with a Titan and a mild OC on my 2500K performance is still in the gutter (30FPS pretty much) at 1440p. It isn't RAM bound as Afterburner barely reads over 1.5GB in Flotsam.

It can't be that hard on shading horsepower, can it?

Spazznid

What's the crack with Ubersampling in W2? Even with a Titan and a mild OC on my 2500K performance is still in the gutter (30FPS pretty much) at 1440p. It isn't RAM bound as Afterburner barely reads over 1.5GB in Flotsam.

It can't be that hard on shading horsepower, can it?

It's the "uber"

Dat foreign technology...

antitrop

Ubersampling is just CD Projekt RED's weird way of saying "4x SSAA".

However as for the core game itself, it's obvious they just used a retrofitted uncharted model and the same bullet sponging. When you make a game that is a core survival game, you don't limit ammo to the extreme in both what you can carry and what you can scavenge ( Talking from a Hard mode perspective ) yet at the same time make enemies soak up one bullet after another -- This is humans we're talking about.

When a guy needs 3 shotgun rounds at less than 5-6 meters or when you need to use 2 shots from a pistol at close range to kill someone, it's not even funny. They should have implemented more realistic damage values plus a proper wounding system. Shoot someone in the shoulder, you can see they are in pain and try to run for cover, doing some blindfire, maybe trying to bandage themselves etc. just the feeling of ever shot counting.

I don't think the enemies are as bullet-spongy as you say. Maybe just a slight bit, but I don't feel like the game is egregiously unbalanced or that it even negatively affects the gameplay. Your second paragraph is a great suggestion for the sequel.

Elsolar

It angers me every time I see a BF3 bullshot or high res shot and realize the missed opportunity they had when they dropped tessellation.

Battlefield 3 does use tessellation though. On terrain mostly, as a way of scaling detail on mountains without needing ridiculously high-res hightmaps.

My main gripe ....

Hrmm. Having played Uncharted this worries me. Tomorrow night I'll be playing through as much of The Last of Us as I and a group of folks can (it's like a movie, eh?). But I hate QTE button mashing. It is horribly uninspired, and I really thought that there was more in this game.

An interesting question though, as far as the damage; would you rather play a realistic, ArmA esque game, though one meant to be cinematic like TLoU, which applied a quick death and injury to you as well, and thus often restarts, or would you rather the sponging? To me its a tough call, as both options are detrimental to the cinematic nature of the game.

My answer is... less fucking combat. Games are reaaallllly hung up on fighting things.

Top Bottom