• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear 20th Anniversary website opens

U K Narayan said:
I noticed this, the first time I watched the remastered trailer. It would be interesting to see nudity in this without any drastic censorship. Not that I'm implying anything. :lol
I'm hanging out for some nudity in this one. We got Johnny Sasaki's pert rear-end slathered in pixels in MGS, Raiden's pert rear-end totally bare in MGS2, and we were supposed to get the Boss' jiggling norgs in MGS3. Come hell or high water we are getting full frontal in MGS4, even if it means Old Snake's old snake.

Tieno

Can't not look at the saggy tits, ugh. They destroy the otherwise great model for me :(

I like the new look of the cutscenes more. When it first aired I kind of complained about the blurry green mess (Kojima muddies up on purpose he says), now it's a little cleaner, less green and sharper. Which is good!

I actually think it's just the angle and the size of the flac jacket.

The annoying part about that shot is that because it's not in HD you can't see the dust particles floating in the sunlight in the background. When I spotted them in that scene and in the Snake suicide scene in the HD version of the E3 trailer, my jaw hit the floor.

gogogow

Erm......dudes, those are not Meryl's boobies. The shirt/suit is not see-through.

I repeat, it's NOT see-through.

Shall we look at Meryl's other side/left-side??!!

Just like Yoboman says, it's just a crease.

mgs4e32006emrl002copia9pp.jpg

jett

D-Member
The wall breaking looks a lot better, but still I hope this is not the extent of the improvement the game has seen since last year. Maybe I'm setting my expectations of a newer MGS4 build too high...

jett said:
The wall breaking looks a lot better, but still I hope this is not the extent of the improvement the game has seen since last year. Maybe I'm setting my expectations of a newer MGS4 build too high...
Well, like others have said, since the particle effects are dynamically generated it's likely that simply re-rendering the original assets with the new engine resulted in these visible changes. After all, Snake's model changed slightly from E3 to TGS but the remastered E3 trailer doesn't seem to reflect those changes.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You guys are funny. Meryl's suit has a bit reflective texture surface, and those circles that you see are just the deforming highlights that move across the surface as she moves around. Just watch the trailer, it's obvious when it's in motion.

jett said:

It's only a scripted trailer :eek:
From what we can see there is better lighting, better framerate, a major improvement in particule effects, more objects on screen and other little details like that.

If the improvement in the the gameplay part is as big as the improvement in particule effects, we are going to be very pleased at e 3 :)

Yoboman said:
They did change the trailer, that's the whole point

Well then... thats because they haven't officially announced 2008 release yet. They are still aiming for 2007. Remember MGS2? That was also gonna get delayed but they managed to release it on time. Plus, the 2006/8/7 joke still cracks some people up, so they don't wanna change that ;)

Yoboman

shagg_187 said:
Well then... thats because they haven't officially announced 2008 release yet. They are still aiming for 2007. Remember MGS2? That was also gonna get delayed but they managed to release it on time. Plus, the 2006/8/7 joke still cracks some people up, so they don't wanna change that ;)
That's exactly my point. They're still aiming for 2007, even though everyone is adamant that it's 2008 now just based off an EBgames release date.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yoboman said:
That's exactly my point. They're still aiming for 2007, even though everyone is adamant that it's 2008 now just based off an EBgames release date.
Yeah, I had the same thought. If they didn't think they could deliver the game in 2007, why didn't they just removed that part of the trailer?

jett said:

eh I think it looks really great, definitely as impressive as anything due on consoles

peace

VonGak!

Banned
I with the newbie power in me absolutely demand that Games Radar is added to the list of banned sites

Reason:

Thursday 7 June 2007
Contrary to what you may have read elsewhere, Konami has not issued a 'remastered' or enhanced video of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

GamesRadar has spoken to Konami, who informed us that the trailer which appeared on a new MGS site this morning, and which certain aggregate portals, news blogs and websites claim displays new visual effects, is definitely not new. Konami stressed to us that it has not released any new footage, and that we won't see anything of MGS4 until E3 2007 in August.

This 'new' footage is simply a recut version of last year's E3 trailer. Smoke effects, particles, melon physics, textures - all of these things are exactly the same in both versions, with not a hint of any retouched effects to be seen. And, anyway, doesn't Konami have better things to do than fiddle around with exisiting footage?

Above: Konami has stamped out any suggestions that new, retouched footage of Metal Gear Solid 4 has been released

In fact, the only actual difference is that the E3 trailer features a credits screen with a PlayStation 3 logo, while the trailer that appeared this morning has a credit screen without the logo. Don't read anything into this, though - the Tokyo Game Show trailer we saw last September, four months after E3, also has a credits screen without a PlayStation 3 logo.

We're all rabidly excited about seeing Metal Gear Solid 4 in action, and so it's understandable that people will go coconuts over anything that even suggests to be new content. But this is not new footage, promises Konami. We'll all just have to wait until E3 to see what comes next for Solid Snake.

Source:
http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/ga...7104048156073&releaseId=20051216153655522074]

They are making it up as they go or Kojami is completely out of touch with what Kojima Productions is doing. :lol

VonGak! said:
Ouch, I sure hope VonGak made a typo there. :D

I was just messing wid u ;)

back on topic: This entire thread is a proof that the trailer was "Remastered", including picture and personal impressions. Why on earth would Konami be ashamed/shushed about admitting it (Plus, the remastered trailer looks great...!!)??

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
:lol Didn't realize that Meryl had a bullet for an earring until that picture. She's still green.

BTW new Kojima Productions Report podcast is up... with Otacon!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Did anyone consider the potential relation between this trailer and the updated footage released prior to TGS last year (sometime in August maybe)? They added an entire scene with Gekkos kicking the shit out of a bunch of troops. Unlike the E3 trailer, it ran at a perfect framerate and included improvements.

Take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1B0qwDI64E

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x said:
Did anyone consider the potential relation between this trailer and the updated footage released prior to TGS last year (sometime in August maybe)? They added an entire scene with Gekkos kicking the shit out of a bunch of troops. Unlike the E3 trailer, it ran at a perfect framerate and included improvements.
Yes, that was the GC trailer, and my speculation was that they both don't really run in real time, but rather as a video composed of each screen rendered at whatever slower speed necessary as to not have any frame drops, and then motion blur added in offline post-processing. I speculated this was the case as the TGS trailer, released much after the GC trailer, didn't have motion blur, and did have some frame drops.

VonGak!

Banned
Marconelly said:
Yes, that was the GC trailer, and my speculation was that they both don't really run in real time, but rather as a video composed of each screen rendered at whatever slower speed necessary as to not have any frame drops, and then motion blur added in offline post-processing. I speculated this was the case as the TGS trailer, released much after the GC trailer, didn't have motion blur, and did have some frame drops.

No the difference is due to the TGS '06 trailer being taken directly from raw gameplay while the TGS '05, E3 '06 and GC '06 were scripted cut-scenes rendered in real-time.

VonGak!

Banned
shagg_187 said:

back on topic: This entire thread is a proof that the trailer was "Remastered", including picture and personal impressions. Why on earth would Konami be ashamed/shushed about admitting it (Plus, the remastered trailer looks great...!!)??

Sure beats me. :)

Marconelly said:
TGS trailer was taken out straight from gameplay, and this trailer is made out of cut scenes. Kojima NEVER used faked footage to represent his games.

Yoboman

shagg_187 said:

Whoever they contacted (probably Konami USA) was probably unaware of it. It's not as though they've made this some big event, it was just the trailer updated on their website

alterno69

Banned
Maybe the video is old and they don't want people to think this is how the game looks TODAY, meaning it looks even better right now :)

dark10x said:

Take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1B0qwDI64E

you're right, so the upgrades are very old.

VonGak!

Banned
Yoboman said:
Whoever they contacted (probably Konami USA) was probably unaware of it. It's not as though they've made this some big event, it was just the trailer updated on their website

Not a valid excuse, Games Radar could at least have bothered to watch the trailer before releasing such a silly article.

TGS 05 First trailer - Real time, demoed on stage - 60 FPS confirmed by programmer
E3 06 - second trailer - real time, lots of slow down
Leipzig 06 - third trailer - some new footage of gekko's playing football - 60 FPS no slow down
TGS 06 - fourth trailer - real time - all gameplay with slowdown

I am going to trust the programmer on this, he demoed the first trailer back in 05 and that was running at 60 FPS now 1 and half year later everything should be running nicely on the final dev kits

Top Bottom