• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear 20th Anniversary website opens

The remastered trailer is new but the build with the upgrades isn't. We can see the same particle effects in the GC trailer and the remastered trailer.

Yoboman

Doom_Bringer said:
TGS 05 First trailer - Real time, demoed on stage - 60 FPS confirmed by programmer
E3 06 - second trailer - real time, lots of slow down
Leipzig 06 - third trailer - some new footage of gekko's playing football - 60 FPS no slow down
TGS 06 - fourth trailer - real time - all gameplay with slowdown

I am going to trust the programmer on this, he demoed the first trailer back in 05 and that was running at 60 FPS now 1 and half year later everything should be running nicely on the final dev kits
I still wonder why everything looks different to the first trailer, even though it was running real time

Yoboman said:
I still wonder why everything looks different to the first trailer, even though it was running real time

maybe they overestimated the PS3 specs? Anyway it was just a cut scene, I can't wait to see the new up to date gameplay stuff.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Marconelly said:
Yes, that was the GC trailer, and my speculation was that they both don't really run in real time, but rather as a video composed of each screen rendered at whatever slower speed necessary as to not have any frame drops, and then motion blur added in offline post-processing. I speculated this was the case as the TGS trailer, released much after the GC trailer, didn't have motion blur, and did have some frame drops.
That was pre-rendered? I know the original footage in 2005 was pre-rendered, but I assumed that all footage beyond that point was not. The footage I am talking about looks exactly like the E3 trailer with minor improvements while the original trailer looked VERY different.

The Gekko footage was mixed with original TGS05 footage, however.

Yoboman said:
The first trailer was a concept with pretty much everything being subject to change.

The game looks much better now, with some character models, like Otacon, completely guruing above any other game.

Ynos Yrros said:
The first trailer was a concept with pretty much everything being subject to change.

The game looks much better now, with some character models, like Otacon, completely guruing above any other game.
:lol concept my ass, it must have taken a lot of hard work to model all that. Weren't there some rumors floating around stating that Sony was shipping the early PS3 dev kits with dual 7800 GPU's?

anyway they definitely overestimated the ps3 specs then

JB1981 said:
i really hope the game looks like that upon release, 'cause imo it does NOT now (at least not in the latest trailers). not even close. shader fx, textures are particularly better

that was a cut scene. No way can you make the game look like that when you add physics, AI, 7.1 sound, etc etc

JB1981

Doom_Bringer said:
that was a cut scene. No way can you make the game look like that when you add physics, AI, 7.1 sound, etc etc

i'm aware of that. the cut scenes don't even look that good

JB1981 said:
i'm aware of that. the cut scenes don't even look that good

They either over estimated the PS3 specs then or it's work in progress or they decided to go on a different route with the cut scenes (more interactive)

Anyway wait till E3

Doom_Bringer said:
:lol concept my ass, it must have taken a lot of hard work to model all that. Weren't there some rumors floating around stating that Sony was shipping the early PS3 dev kits with dual 7800 GPU's?

anyway they definitely overestimated the ps3 specs then
Hmmm.....

Just to put things into perspective:

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20060616024419025.jpg

vs

metal-gear-solid-4-20050915072843356.jpg

And as for texture work:

metal-gear-solid-4-20050915072831372.jpg

The only difference is lighting, the uniform is exactly the same in compexity.

yeah can't disagree with you there. I think the 05 footage was taken from another stage compared to what we are seeing now.

If they added blue, cleaner skies maybe then the game would look just as good as the 05 stuff.

Ynos Yrros said:
Hmmm.....

Just to put things into perspective:

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20060616024419025.jpg

vs

metal-gear-solid-4-20050915072843356.jpg

And as for texture work:

Heck regarding lighting, in the onstage demo of 2005 demo Kojima was shown adjusting the color saturation/lighting on the fly in realtime already. Kojima adjusts the visual hue/color saturation towards his liking. Each Metal Gear Solid game had a dominating color.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Heck regarding lighting, in the onstage demo of 2005 demo Kojima was shown adjusting the color saturation/lighting on the fly in realtime already. Kojima adjusts the visual hue/color saturation towards his liking. Each Metal Gear Solid game had a dominating color.
Exactly. The game looks more natural now, and textures have only seen improvements. The game already looks better than the first trailer, and I'm sure it will look even better.

They have only shown one stage so far and it has a yellow tint that will clears up later (IMO)

The game starts out when Snake gets off the truck - stage has a yellow tint
he is wearing a traditional Arab dress with a hoodie and you get to play that part (confirmed in the last trailer)
then at some point he is chased into a house where he loses his dress and his nano suit is revealed
Now after his suit is revealed he travels deeper into the city where he meets up the tiny helper robot. The geometry is more complex (tunnels, house complexes, bridges, warehouses etc)
skies clear up, enemy APC's show up, war atmosphere intensifies

So I think the later part of that middle eastern stage will look like the 05 trailer

Doom_Bringer said:
They have only shown one stage so far and it has a yellow tint that will clears up later (IMO)

The game starts out when Snake gets off the truck - stage has a yellow tint
he is wearing a traditional Arab dress with a hoodie and you get to play that part (confirmed in the last trailer)
then at some point he is chased into a house where he loses his dress and his nano suit is revealed
Now after his suit is revealed he travels deeper into the city where he meets up the tiny helper robot. The geometry is more complex (tunnels, house complexes, bridges, warehouses etc)
skies clear up, enemy APC's show up, war atmosphere intensifies

So I think the later part of that middle eastern stage will look like the 05 trailer
Lighting wise, texture wise it will look better.

This won't pass:

metal-gear-solid-4-20050915072838293.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ynos Yrros said:
TGS trailer was taken out straight from gameplay, and this trailer is made out of cut scenes. Kojima NEVER used faked footage to represent his games.
I hope you are right, but you can see why the whole thing looks very suspicious to me. Having *perfect* framerate like that, with that kind of motion blur is just not something I think I've ever seen before. The TGS trailer wasn't all gameplay either btw. At the very least, that ending scene with snake posing as a statue and then lighting a cigar was obviously a cut scene.

Ynos Yrros said:
Lighting wise, texture wise it will look better.

This won't pass:

tp://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/651/651322/metal-gear-solid-4-20050915072838293.jpg[/IMG]

I was only talking about the lighting.

Marconelly said:
I hope you are right, but you can see why the whole thing looks very suspicious to me. Having *perfect* framerate like that, with that kind of motion blur is just not something I think I've ever seen before. The TGS trailer wasn't all gameplay either btw. At the very least, that ending scene with snake posing as a statue and then lighting a cigar was obviously a cut scene.
Uncharted has pretty much perfect framerate already as well, only problem is that it lacks Kojima's direction skills.
And that last cut scene with Snake posing did feature another amazingly detailed model, and smooth framerate. The game is supposed to be very interactive, with lots of destuctable enviroments, so it is supposed to stay smooth with walls crushing and dirt flying.

I think that after seeing Lair, Uncharted and HS we should have no doubts about what is possible to achieve on the system technically, now we see it combined with directing genius of Kojima.

I was only talking about the lighting.

Sorry for going at you like that, I'm just extremely defensiv when it comes to Metal Gears and Final Fantasies, and maybe Tekkens too :).

jett

D-Member
Marconelly said:
Yes, that was the GC trailer, and my speculation was that they both don't really run in real time, but rather as a video composed of each screen rendered at whatever slower speed necessary as to not have any frame drops, and then motion blur added in offline post-processing. I speculated this was the case as the TGS trailer, released much after the GC trailer, didn't have motion blur, and did have some frame drops.

The GC trailer was obviously sped up. I still noticed some framderops in the new E3 trailer though...maybe that's my video player crapping up. :p

edit: P.S. the current Snake model is different from the original one, he's been aged even further, seems like 15 years older me.

Yoboman said:
I hate that scene, his face looks so unnatural. Find another pic :D
There are no proper close ups.
<IGN compression look out!>

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20060616024421337.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20060616024416088.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20060921083858344.jpg

Jett you are definately onto something. His hair are WHITE instead of gray. Anyway, the TGS'06 trailer is definately the worst looking one, let's wait for the next one to judge the game, since it was still very early in development last year.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ynos Yrros said:
Uncharted has pretty much perfect framerate already as well, only problem is that it lacks Kojima's direction skills.
Don't get me wrong, I think Uncharted is overall maybe the most impressive game I've seen yet, but it doesn't have the *perfect* framerate. It's framerate is really good, but I can easily see some frame drops and tearing.

In these trailers we are talking -not-a-single-dropped-frame- kind of framerate, which I have problem believing in general, and especially after the TGS trailer (which I said, came after the GC trailer).

jett said:
The GC trailer was obviously sped up. I still noticed some framderops in the new E3 trailer though...maybe that's my video player crapping up. :p
It's your video player. There are no drops if you watch it outside of their web page, and on a computer fast enough. It also has the exact same kind of motion blur as the GC trailer.

Marconelly said:
Don't get me wrong, I think Uncharted is overall maybe the most impressive game I've seen yet, but it doesn't have the *perfect* framerate. It's framerate is really good, but I can easily see some frame drops and tearing.
That's why I said "pretty much", there is some tearing, but generally it flows really smooth. And it has some time to be released.
Then there's Lair, which had very stable framerate at GD, and it kills MGS4 when it comes to technical achievements.

VonGak!

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
That's why I said "pretty much", there is some tearing, but generally it flows really smooth. And it has some time to be released.
Then there's Lair, which had very stable framerate at GD, and it kills MGS4 when it comes to technical achievements.

In all honesty what we have been shown of MGS4 is not technically impressive compared to the other big '07 PS3 titles when talking graphics.

But Kojima already prepared us for this two years ago when he said MGS4 would spend the processing power on things which can't be seen and he expected other games at the time of release would look better.

Doesn't really matter though when character models in previous games could compete with games which used more than twice the amount of polygons on character models.

VonGak! said:
In all honesty what we have been shown of MGS4 is not technically impressive compared to the other big '07 PS3 titles when talking graphics.

But Kojima already prepared us for this two years ago when he said MGS4 would spend the processing power on things which can't be seen and he expected other games at the time of release would look better.

Doesn't really matter though when character models in previous games could compete with games which used more than twice the amount of polygons on character models.

no way...mgs4 looks amazing....more impressive than most ps3 games Ive seen so far.

Only other games are: R & C, Uncharted, Lair, FFXIII, HS, LBP, WKS

VonGak!

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
no way...mgs4 looks amazing....more impressive than most ps3 games Ive seen so far.

Only other games are: R & C, Uncharted, Lair, FFXIII, HS, LBP, WKS

Well if those (apart from FFXIII) aren't PS3's big '07 releases then I do not know. :)

Angelcurio

I really think that the old color palette used for the original TGS 2005 trailer looked way better than the new yellowish one that we saw at E3 2006. That color makes the game look old, like a last gen titles. The character models stand out a whole lot more in the original TGS footage.

Angelcurio said:
I really think that the old color palette used for the original TGS 2005 trailer looked way better than the new yellowish one that we saw at E3 2006. That color makes the game look old, like a last gen titles. The character models stand out a whole lot more in the original TGS footage.
Yeah, I agree. But there will be different color filters applied in different scenes, at least that's what Kojima did in all previous MGS games.

The modelling in this game is amazing, Otacon is IMO the best in-game character model ever (yes, including Crysis). Team Kojima can create GREAT looking games, but amazing tech, and/or even art style aren't enough, direction is still that one thing, that can make bad looking game look good. In this case, we have amazing looking game with amazing director, so to me, MGS4 takes the candle as the best looking console game.

Can't wait for it, hopefully it will be released this year, even if only in Japan.

J2 Cool

JB1981 said:
i really hope the game looks like that upon release, 'cause imo it does NOT now (at least not in the latest trailers). not even close. shader fx, textures are particularly better

I agree. The shaders really added to an impressive contrast in lighting. That and really sharp textures all around made for something wholy impressive. The whole demo area is amazing really. I think they were estimating the PS3 specs personally. As well as the benefit of being allowed to put all their resources into this one small cutscene demo, instead of developing a full game which is rumored to be huge. They were pretty much expected by fans to show something and they delivered in that respect. At a time when all everyone seemed to be looking at was tech demos instead of games.

Anyway, I do expect them to have some mindblowing looking areas in the game. Like the swamp, this one enemy base, and the flower field from MGS3. Or the tanker from MGS2. I wouldn't be suprised if certain parts of the game look and feel very specific and impressive aside from this desert warfare they've shown us thus far. It would be amazing if the next trailer gave us just a small glimpse of that.

Ynos Yrros said:
And as for texture work:

Maybe, but some of those walls and tiles have the edge on the last trailers interiors imo. Also, remember the blowing trash featured more heavily in the first appearance. I don't think the difference is as drastic in the texture work as in the lighting, but being able to concentrate on a smile slice to make it look as good as possible and making an entire game are two very different situations. I can see where a slight dropoff may occur.

Angelcurio said:

I think he does it for story and mood. Something more important to him I imagine, than making the game as technically brilliant as he can, which never ages as well. He thinks from an artist's pov. Also, I'm sure Shinkawa had some influence on him in the visual style of the game. His greens and browns seemed to make their way into MGS3. Same with his greys and blues in MGS1 & 2 and reds of MGS2.

VonGak! said:
Well if those (apart from FFXIII) aren't PS3's big '07 releases then I do not know. :)

eh, I was saying it looked as good as those games

also the newer trailers looked far more metal gear...the original trailer looked nice, but it didnt have the stylized metal gear look...hence this remastered trailer looks best

One of the only ways i can respond to this without breaking any agreements that i have accepted and try to calm down the ruckus/commotion that's going on here about a "remastered" e3 2006 trailer and whether or not this game is being ported to another console because of some logo removal in the credits is to please just wait until this years E3 in July.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SCE(Egypt) said:
One of the only ways i can respond to this without breaking any agreements that i have accepted and try to calm down the ruckus/commotion that's going on here about a "remastered" e3 2006 trailer and whether or not this game is being ported to another console because of some logo removal in the credits is to please just wait until this years E3 in July.

WTF dude. :lol

It's not like we dont know E3 will clear up things in regards to MGS4 already

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
SCE(Egypt) said:
You have an interesting post history...
Tell us more about who you are, and what it is you do besides making very vague posts.

fr4nz

http://www.konamistyle.jp/ecitem/item40296.html

itemVW353-J1p1_1.jpg

this pack includes :

&#12539;METAL GEAR [PS2]
&#12539;METAL GEAR 2 SOLID SNAKE [PS2]
&#12539;METAL GEAR SOLID [PS]
&#12539;METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SONS OF LIBERTY [PS2]
&#12539;THE DOCUMENT OF METAL GEAR SOLID 2 [PS2]
&#12539;METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER [PS2]
&#12539;METAL GEAR SOLID PORTABLE OPS [PSP]
&#12539;METAL GEAR SAGA [DVD]