• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/25 - 7/1

Rock_Man said:
PS3 11,914

I Don'T Care What They Say
Those Numbers Don't Mean A Thing
We'Ve Got It Made
This World Is Just Me And You
And We Know Just What To Do
We'Ve Got It Made
Hey, Everythings Gonna Be Okay

I Don'T Know What The Future Holds
All I Know Is You'Re There With Me
That'S All I Need
Hey, Everythings Gonna Be Okay
When I Look In Your Eyes
I Know What I Want In Life
Nothing More, Nothing Less
Be The Key To My Success

TJ Spyke

The same thing happened with the DS at first, most games were lackluster and showed that the developers didn't put a lot of effort in. Once the DS started becoming the monster it is, they started putting out better games. The same thing will probably happen with the Wii (and already is with some developers).

apujanata said:
If only Capcom did not release RE4 Wii at the 5040 Yen pricepoint. It should be 3600 or 3800 Yen pricepoint, like what they did for US. At 3800 Yen, I think the sales should be higher significantly. It might even reached 100K by the third week.

In stores is easily to find games discounted, usually is 15% off so RE4:Wii should be around 4300yen.
But we can ask to Vinnk and his weekly report for confirmation :)

Anyway, i will get my copy in the earlier August, of course in a shop tracked by Enterbrain so i can keep "cvxfreak's dream" going on :D

cvxfreak said:
Joshua, how about a Wii vs PSP comparison each week? :)
Your wish is my command. For now...

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates, Wii catches up to PSP in 77.0 weeks (December 21, 2008).
moku said:
I'm going to keep track of what I have for breakfast every morning for the next month, and then compare that to each breakfest foods market penetration to see if i'm a hardcore breakfest muncher or not.
May I recommend a ride on the grain train.
jamesinclair said:
Only 4 more weeks for PS3 to reach 1 million!
To do that it would have to average 12,378 for the next four weeks. It hasn't had a week like that in two months.
KevinRo said:
I still think the consoles are still young enough to have that one defining game that will propel sells. While the PS3 seems to be selling horrible in Japan it doesn't have that blockbuster title on it yet. We know what is coming out in 2008 but who knows, maybe their is a sleeper game in '07.
Anything's possible. However, there's no historical precedent for a turnaround of such a magnitude, and Wii Sports already seems to be the defining game pushing Wii ahead.

Holy crap! the PS3 it's alive!!!

Also it looks like the Wii has stabilized, but the increased shipments don't seem to add up to much :p

Wow @ DS, Zelda PH looks to be a monster not just in sales, but has even bumped the hardware for 2 weeks now :D

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Nuclear Muffin said:

Also it looks like the Wii has stabilized, but the increased shipments don't seem to add up to much :p

Wow @ DS, Zelda PH looks to be a monster not just in sales, but has even bumped the hardware for 2 weeks now :D

Wind Waker style Wii game confirmed?

Koren

JoshuaJSlone said:
To do that it would have to average 12,378 for the next four weeks. It hasn't had a week like that in two months.
Minna no golf is out in the 7/23-7/29 week, if it simply doubles the hardware on this week (with the bundle), you fell below 10k. I think 4 week is a good guess.

test_account

XP-39C²
PS3 sales going up, was the price dropped yet?

Btw, is there any reason why the numbers for software are rolled up/down? Media Create shows like 38,682 copies sold for Ratchet and Clank, but the first post shows 39,000.

nli10

Nuclear Muffin said:

Actually I'm almost certain that the new DS colours are reviving the DS software sales across the board and have helped Zelda's sales. Only NSMB seems to be suffering sales wise, but that always does when a new high profile 'gamer' title launches.

I think 'celda' is perfectly suited to the more relaxed DS demographic, and as these players seem to be the ones picking up the Wii (looking at the casual/gamer ratio of software sales) I'd say that there is a very good chance that a cartoon first party title will make its way to Wii. Cel-shaded 2D Metroid anyone? :D

test_account said:
PS3 sales going up, was the price dropped yet?

Btw, is there any reason why the numbers for software are rolled up/down? Media Create shows like 38,682 copies sold for Ratchet and Clank, but the first post shows 39,000.

The initial Wed numbers are rounded to the nearest 1,000. Detail numbers are thursdays now.

48./00. [PS2] Tales of the Abyss (Bandai-Namco)

youareNOTthefather.gif
youareNOTthefather.gif
youareNOTthefather.gif

youareNOTthefather.gif
youareNOTthefather.gif
youareNOTthefather.gif

Tf53

PantherLotus said:
Results, Analysis, & Expectations
● 360: matching expectations. Not likely to change, ever. . So...did 360 fail in Japan? Obviously. But did MS fail? Very clearly not. They convinced Sony to play the game on THEIR terms, at their speed, on their level. Microsoft came in with their fat American box and defined what Sony HAD to do. In this, they succeeded...because the 360's failure has become the PS3's as well. Not that they did it on purpose, but damn if sabotaging a competitor out of their home market by making them develop a product to appeal to YOUR home market...it's brilliant in a bumblingly deceptive sort of way. 3-5k until the XBOX720 comes out.

● PS3: slightly above expectations. Benefited from the highest weekly console sales since April. The problem here--and I think most will acknowledge it--is that consoles in Japan don't fail this spectacularly and then make a magical return upon some announcement, some game, or some price cut.

Sony needs to have a 25-week plan, having one positive announcement, huge game, price cut, or other benefit early adopters will reap every week through the end of the year. They have to be aggressive, ballsy, and be willing to risk further humiliation. I'm talking price cuts, free controllers, game after game after game...and lots of free shit. Start giving away BR Movies with every game purchased. It's not too late to salvage something out of this...but I'm convinced that Sony execs have lost their way and never even thought of this result. It's clear by every action (or rather, inaction) they've made since January that they had no plan B. Oh well. Likely to remain within 7-11k until fall.

● Wii: slightly above expecations. With this week's upswing, it's pretty clear that increased shipments are here to stay. Demand is still going strong, too. The most incredible thing is how consistently high this low-cost product is selling. Look at the LTD chart--it's a near straight line that intercepts 6 MILLION UNITS in May '08. That's staying consistent with the 70k per week the Wii has sold since the new year began. Unreal. Even more unreal are the comparisons to the PS2 that are coming out and the unstoppable momentum that Nintendo has gained over the past year and a half with their products. Lessons to be learned for all. Given the 6-week trend, I'm raising my expectations to 65-75k for the summer, while still acknowledging possible cycles.

Excellent analysis. Thank you, Panther.

It's on the list of features to implement for next week. This transition to Gpara is taking some time to work out, hence the 2-minute delay with my posting the HW numbers last night. =P

Detailed SW numbers...

01./00. [PS2] Super Robot Wars: Original Generations (Banpresto) - 345,600 / NEW
02./01. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 136,586 / 439,000
03./02. [NDS] Itadaki Street DS (Square-Enix) - 60,256 / 209,000
04./03. [NDS] Practice by Observing: DS Observation Training (Nintendo) - 49,168 / 314,000
05./00. [PSP] Ratchet & Clank: Going Mobile (Sony) - 38,682 / NEW
06./04. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 36,869 / 1,792,000
07./00. [PS2] Tales of Fandom, Vol. 2: Luke Version (Bandai-Namco) - 34,416 / NEW
08./00. [PS2] Tales of Fandom, Vol. 2: Tia Version (Bandai-Namco) - 30,232 / NEW
09./00. [WII] Donkey Kong Jet (Nintendo) - 30,137 / NEW
10./00. [NDS] Listen! Write! Increase Vocabulary! Initial English Training (Benesse) - 29,910 / NEW

Rock_Man said:
It may be so, but it's very easy to do manually ;)

If you want to take up that torch, then by all means. Automating it would involve setting up a database, and I'm too blasted lazy to do that given the very limited payoff.

DSWii60 said:
07./00. [PS2] Tales of Fandom, Vol. 2: Luke Version (Bandai-Namco) - 34,416 / NEW

I don't know why, but I laughed when I read this. Probably because it has the words "fandom" and "Luke" in it. Now I'm trying to work out why exactly I laughed....

I can't make this stuff up, folks.

DSWii60

I don't know why, but I laughed when I read this. Probably because it has the words "fandom" and "Luke" in it. Now I'm trying to work out why exactly I laughed....

Rock_Man

Cheesemeister said:
If you want to take up that torch, then by all means. Automating it would involve setting up a database, and I'm too blasted lazy to do that given the very limited payoff.

Then it would be prettier to have rounded weekly numbers too...
No big deal though.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dragona Akehi said:
I'd be overjoyed if Biohazard 4 makes it over 100 000. Cmon Leon!

Well Leon's been hanging around the top 40 for the past few weeks, so I think he has it in him.

schuelma

enishi said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10038960217.html

[PS3] Boku no Natsuyasumi 3 (My Summer Holiday 3) - 15k
[NDS] Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol - 15k
[NDS] Dokidoki Majo Saiban - 15k; but it seems to be a great hit in Akihabara
2007-07-06-102.jpg

And it talks about the pre-order of DQS. It looks like selling out...

Need.....more....details.....is the number still only 350K? Or did it get increased??

nli10

As this thread is officially general sales thought this was worth repeating:

nli10 in other thread said:
UK Console Software sales % for the period week 1-26 2006 Vs 2007:
In 2006 it was Nintendo on 15.9%, Sony on 65.1% and Microsoft on 19.0%
In 2007 it was Nintendo on 31.8%, Sony on 49.9% and Microsoft on 18.3%
Differences are Nintendo +15.9% Sony -15.2% and Microsoft -0.6%

This shows that while Nintendo are eating into Sony's lead they are still behind on the all important software sales, but momentum is heavily in their favour. While Microsoft is leading in their individual race (the next gen static) the fact that their last gen console only sold 0.43 m to the PS2s 6.49m means that there is still a vast untapped market for them and they seem to be selling to the same people as last gen (but have the best upgrade rate).

From this UK sales thread here

In the UK the mindshare still belongs to Sony, the HD generation love the 360 and the biggest gains are being made by Nintendo, and in an expanding market too.

So after doing the single-week of "PSP vs Wii" earlier I set up a page for it, and having done that made some fixes/improvements to older ones.

PS2 vs GCN, Famitsu
DS vs PSP, Media Create
PS3 vs Wii, Media Create
PSP vs Wii, Media Create

I don't have an automated way of making these individual setups, so as to allow for more possible customization/rearrangement, but it's pretty easy to make new ones if there are requests. Threeway or more setups would even be doable, though they'd take a bit more time to make, and introduce either many more columns or choices on which ones to cut out.

jj984jj said:
I know the PS3 is cheaper in Japan but given the current sales I don't see why they wouldn't also drop it a bit in Japan.
I don't see it as a "why not", but a "why". Regardless of whether it would be a helpful thing or not, the timing of Japanese and NA price cuts in the past has been pretty independent, so it's a mistake to see one and assume the other is coming. Case in point, the pre-launch Japanese PS3 price cut.

enishi said:
[PS3] Boku no Natsuyasumi 3 (My Summer Holiday 3) - 15k
Not bad for a PS3 game

enishi said:
[NDS] Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol - 15k
not bad, considering it never climbed up on amazon chart...

enishi said:
[NDS] Dokidoki Majo Saiban - 15k; but it seems to be a great hit in Akihabara
never had a doubt about it :D

enishi said:
And it talks about the pre-order of DQS. It looks like selling out...
not bad for a 3rd party game on Wii

Xeke

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
Is it selling out to actual customers or selling out to retailers?

Well since the retailer would have made their orders a while ago I'm going to say customers.

Haunted

A big fat wow at those Saturn comparison charts. Poor PS3 - it's getting pretty ridiculous. ah well, the higher they rise....

PantherLotus said:
Results, Analysis, & Expectations
● 360: matching expectations. Not likely to change, ever. . So...did 360 fail in Japan? Obviously. But did MS fail? Very clearly not. They convinced Sony to play the game on THEIR terms, at their speed, on their level. Microsoft came in with their fat American box and defined what Sony HAD to do. In this, they succeeded...because the 360's failure has become the PS3's as well. Not that they did it on purpose, but damn if sabotaging a competitor out of their home market by making them develop a product to appeal to YOUR home market...it's brilliant in a bumblingly deceptive sort of way. 3-5k until the XBOX720 comes out.

● PS3: slightly above expectations. Benefited from the highest weekly console sales since April. The problem here--and I think most will acknowledge it--is that consoles in Japan don't fail this spectacularly and then make a magical return upon some announcement, some game, or some price cut.

Sony needs to have a 25-week plan, having one positive announcement, huge game, price cut, or other benefit early adopters will reap every week through the end of the year. They have to be aggressive, ballsy, and be willing to risk further humiliation. I'm talking price cuts, free controllers, game after game after game...and lots of free shit. Start giving away BR Movies with every game purchased. It's not too late to salvage something out of this...but I'm convinced that Sony execs have lost their way and never even thought of this result. It's clear by every action (or rather, inaction) they've made since January that they had no plan B. Oh well. Likely to remain within 7-11k until fall.

● Wii: slightly above expecations. With this week's upswing, it's pretty clear that increased shipments are here to stay. Demand is still going strong, too. The most incredible thing is how consistently high this low-cost product is selling. Look at the LTD chart--it's a near straight line that intercepts 6 MILLION UNITS in May '08. That's staying consistent with the 70k per week the Wii has sold since the new year began. Unreal. Even more unreal are the comparisons to the PS2 that are coming out and the unstoppable momentum that Nintendo has gained over the past year and a half with their products. Lessons to be learned for all. Given the 6-week trend, I'm raising my expectations to 65-75k for the summer, while still acknowledging possible cycles.

Significant Notes:
● The Wii has extended its lead to 1,924,026 over the PS3. Will it hit a 2 million unit lead IN JAPAN next week?
● 88,987 consoles sold this week. Wii had 83.07% of all console sales, up 0.44% from the previous week.
● The Wii has sold more than 44k for 31 weeks in a row.
● The PS3 has sold less than 20k for 14 weeks in a row.
● The Wii has been outselling the PS3 6:1 (or better) for 12 weeks in a row. See below.
● The last chart shows just how dominating the Wii is over its direct competition. It towers over the PS3 and the 360 every single week.
Top notch work as always, Panther. Much appreciated.

That would make boring MC threads now, if confirmed further. Last time I heard, they shipped 250 initially and upped it to 350k(according to creamsugar) to retailers.

I almost feel bad for TP. A third party spin off outselling one of the most epic Nintendo games.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
TheGreatDave said:
DQS selling out would pretty much remove kill several key arguments for people in these threads. End of an era :(

Don't worry, instead of saying "3rd party games don't sell on wii" they could spin it and say "They are not selling to non-humans"

titiklabingapat said:
I almost feel bad for TP. A third party spin off outselling one of the most epic Nintendo games.

^
Or that

Xeke

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
DQS selling out would pretty much remove kill several key arguments for people in these threads. End of an era :(

Nah, it'll just become another exception.

schuelma

Xeke said:
Well since the retailer would have made their orders a while ago I'm going to say customers.

I wonder if the initial shipment was increased from 350K.....I hope so

Top Bottom