• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Mielke " COD4 Right now, it's my Game of Show"

Zonar

OK, I thought the demo at the Microsoft conference last night for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was hot, but I just got done checking out a full-level demo of what the single-player mode looks like in hot skirmish action, and the only thing I could do was wear a shit-eating grin of joy the entire time. It is, without a doubt, the most gorgeous FPS I have yet seen. There is so much unbelievable action going on with tanks rolling by, helicopters flying overhead, tracers firing up into the sky, entire buildings exploding, and every tire, crate, watermelon and box destructible in a much more realistic way than the typical Havok-licensed game can offer (Infinity Ward is using their own physics engine).

Now, imagine everything moving around so fast, while your buddies are dropping like flies. It's up to you, my friends, to save the day.The recoil animations and mo-capped rag doll effects only kick in at a certain point in the death animation of an enemy, so things don't look scripted, and everything is based on shot trajectory and impact zone. In action, it's the most gorgeous thing ever, and the wait until it comes out later this year is almost painful, it's that exciting to see.

Now, I realize that everyone (or at least 360 owners) are looking forward to Halo, and Halo has always been a great game. But the more I think about it, it's that its greatness is enhanced by the context of the situation. You're the guy saving what's left of humanity, single-handedly, and that's all kinds of awesome. You feel like a hero, and justifiably so. With Call of Duty 4, you're just another dude thick in the shit, with death waiting around every corner. You're no super-human, you're merely human.

From what I've seen so far, COD4 is the game I'm looking forward to more than anything in 2007. And with Nintendo wheeling out ****ing jazzercise stairmasters as their next big thing to get grandmas buying the Wii, well, I don't see much on the horizon to pull me away from my 360. You can say "Killzone" until you're blue in the face, and I certainly am looking forward to wiping up Helghast with the rest of you, but for my money, COD4 is the shit. Right now there's no footage of what Activision and Infinity Ward showed us online, so you'll just have to take my word for it, but I've never seen anything look this good on an Xbox 360 or PS3 yet. It looks so good, and so realistic, and so fast and fun, it seriously looks like an awesome tech demo for a next-next generation gaming machine. Seriously. Holy shit. Wow.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8253902&publicUserId=4549175

They always say they will only give a Game of the Show award to games that are playable but they always lie and give them to unplayable trailers anyway.

Case in point, MGS4 trailer at first TGS.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
pilonv1 said:
Quick better discredit him first before others have time to form an opinion!

What does his credibility have to do with others forming their opinions?

OldJadedGamer said:
They always say they will only give a Game of the Show award to games that are playable but they always lie and give them to unplayable trailers anyway.

Case in point, MGS4 trailer at first TGS.

Milky says he got a 'full level demo'. That might not mean he actually played it himself, but it's surely the next best thing. And this game is out in 4/5 months, right? I think there's room for some cautious optimism here...

I really don't see what other people are seeing with COD4. I mean, I think it looks good, but not totally-uber-awesome. Eh, I'll take what Milke said with stride. He mostly plays fighting games only. Never heard of him playing too much FPS.

Graphics Graphics Graphics Graphics Graphics Graphics Graphics Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous Next-next-gen Next-next-gen Next-next-gen Next-next-gen Next-next-gen Next-next-gen Next-next-gen Next-next-gen.

Alkaliine said:
Graphics Graphics Graphics Graphics Graphics Graphics Graphics Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous Next-next-gen Next-next-gen Next-next-gen Next-next-gen Next-next-gen Next-next-gen Next-next-gen Next-next-gen.

Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games,

USD

COD4 is absolute nipple-rubbing goodness. I know the other CODs were 60 (most of the time), but seeing COD4 running... wow.

Alkaliine said:
Wow who pissed in your cereal this morning? Like we always say in Wii threads. "If you don't like it GTFO!"

You can have good graphics with game play, and good graphics are a big part of this "next-gen".

*breathe*

Karma Kramer said:
Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games, Waggle, Party, Mini-Games,
Bwahahah!:lol

Gaf is so brutal.

HokieJoe

Karma Kramer said:

:lol

Quazar

Here people, read this part:

Right now there's no footage of what Activision and Infinity Ward showed us online, so you'll just have to take my word for it, but I've never seen anything look this good on an Xbox 360 or PS3 yet.

I do not understand why developers do not show these level walkthroughs to the public. I could understand if the game was early or unimpressive and they did not want people to nitpick it, but this seems like it must be impressive, so why hide it?

dfyb

Banned
GAZERK said:
I really don't see what other people are seeing with COD4. I mean, I think it looks good, but not totally-uber-awesome. Eh, I'll take what Milke said with stride. He mostly plays fighting games only. Never heard of him playing too much FPS.
i'm wondering if they were keeping up with cod1 when it was first being shown for PC. back then it had a similar impact. which is why it's not blowing me away. it's what i expect from a true cod1 sequel.

definitely solid, but nothing above what i expected.

CoD4 looked pretty ****ing good, even though the guy on the radio that kept telling you what to do all the time got really, really annoying.

traveler

Not Wario
Karma Kramer said:

:lol :lol :lol

Perfect.

Blackface

Banned
Of course he is wrong. Did you see Killzone 2? I mean, look at those graphics and look at .....wait a minute.

get off Killzone 2 nuts. Ya it looked great and thats about it folks.

fernoca

Karma Kramer said:
Come on Karma, why even bring bring "waggle" to this, when if you read his (Mielke's) preview, all he talks is about "how gorgeous it looks".. :lol

jett

D-Member
it seriously looks like an awesome tech demo for a next-next generation gaming machine.

Does this mean that Crysis is a next-next-next generation tech demo? :lol I swear I've seen less hyperbole from the more rabid fanboys of this forum.

hyp

in the comments part...

Milky said:
...remember, I saw a level completely different than what was show of COD4 at the M$ conference. What I saw demoed by a guy from Infinity Ward was a lengthy in-the-shit firefight, where you've got to demolish a building while tanks, helicopters and dozens of dudes on bridges, in windows, around the corner are trying to snipe, machine gun, grenade and tank your ass out of existence. All at 60 frames per second, all soaked in incredible amounts of smoke, lighting effects (every light you see in the game is a genuine light source -- amazing), particles, physics, atmosphere and sheer ****ing excitement. I play only a select few FPSes, and if you liked COD2, this is like that on crack, wrapped in bacon, set on fire, holding a toaster while standing in a pool of water, sitting on a keg of dynamite. I was doing that uncontrollable laughing at how awesome it was and how I can't believe a game console (or PC) was doing this. It was so ****ing hot I kept hugging Garnett Lee and saying "We have to do a cover on this, we have to do a cover on this!"

I have seen what you have not seen, Killzone fans, and you have to take my word for it -- independent of whatever Killzone's doing -- that COD4 crushes just about any FPS I have ever, ever laid eyes on. And I'm wayyyy looking forward to stuff like Bioshock, Orange Box, Killzone and all the rest of the good shit. I hope they put a demo of COD4 out too. The producer from Infinity Ward told me that if I thought the single-player demo he was showing me was hot (in reality, it was hot times a thousand), that I won't believe my eyes when I see what the multiplayer is like. I. CAN'T. ****ING. WAIT.

Hey guys, if you love games, you'll love this. There's no saying you can't own COD4 and Killzone. Buy 'em both. COD4 will be available on Xbox 360, PC and PS3, and all are running at 60fps, but the lead version they focused their attention on was the 360 version and it is freakin' dynamite.

unomas

Banned
Ya gotta love next gen, and I'm definitely looking forward to this more than Halo 3 at this point. I've never planned on buying so many games in the fall/winter before and I can't believe I'll have time for them all but it should be fun trying.

I can't wait for the COD 4 beta to drop.

fernoca said:
Come on Karma, why even bring bring "waggle" to this, when if you read his (Mielke's) preview, all he talks is about "how gorgeous it looks".. :lol
FFS man. Is it wrong for a game to look good? And the other games in the series played pretty solidly to.

What is wrong with you people!

_Angelus_

Banned
MaX_PL said:
well watch the gameplay. the trailer isnt that great.
Yep-the demonstration video of the game left my jaw on the floor.
Shadows,textures,presentation are awesome to behold.

AS good as the Sony and Microsoft games were on the floor,this one just is in a league of its own. The visuals flying around with such a silky smooth frame rate is wicked.

For anyone who hasn't seen it-head to Game Trailers and download the HD demonstration,its worth the download.

Top Bottom