• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Mielke " COD4 Right now, it's my Game of Show"

Trax416 said:
Of course he is wrong. Did you see Killzone 2? I mean, look at those graphics and look at .....wait a minute.

get off Killzone 2 nuts. Ya it looked great and thats about it folks.

So you played KZ2? Tell me, why did the gameplay not impress you?

CrushDance said:
FFS man. Is it wrong for a game to look good? And the other games in the series played pretty solidly to.

What is wrong with you people!

Seriously... Wii gamers are the self-centered men who try and prove a point, that when dating, looks aren't everything, so they go and marry a whale in a wheel chair or something.

Karma Kramer said:
Seriously... Wii gamers are the self-centered men who try and prove a point, that when dating, looks aren't everything, so they go and marry a whale in a wheel chair or something.
I thought you meant a actual whale for a second. *sigh* there goes my monitor.

Evlar

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:
easily identified by their avatars
674587811_5ae84bbb4f_o.jpg

That was way too easy.

COD4 looked pretty good I guess. It's one man's opinion.

deadbeef

Cool, the trailer looked really good. I hope it's a great game. Killzone looks awesome too. I'll take both, thanks.

Do we trust Mielke now?

I was very impressed with it too. I find the general pacing of the CoD games to be more my kinda thing than the usual sci-fi shooters, so if I were to get one it may well be that.

Angelus said:
Yep-the demonstration video of the game left my jaw on the floor.
Shadows,textures,presentation are awesome to behold.

AS good as the Sony and Microsoft games were on the floor,this one just is in a league of its own. The visuals flying around with such a silky smooth frame rate is wicked.

For anyone who hasn't seen it-head to Game Trailers and download the HD demonstration,its worth the download.

Textures? I thought that was one of the weaker components here, or at least it was in the official media. I was also surprised by the vegetation in the MS conference demonstration, didn't look too hot.

On the other hand, the experience itself looks to be incredible, making the inconsistencies and odd shortcomings easy to "forgive".

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
The Sphinx said:
674587811_5ae84bbb4f_o.jpg

That was way too easy.

COD4 looked pretty good I guess. It's one man's opinion.

Did you get to see the gameplay he's talking about?

Gah, guess I'll have to upgrade my PC, again. If all Milky says is true, I'll definitely enjoy playing Search and Destroy realism mods with the COD4 engine.

FrankT

I've said it and I'll say it again COD4 has set the bar for FPS. It is unreal.

Mielke lays the gauntlet, what say you now Jeff K?

I saw that blog entry earlier and I can see where he's coming from.

What did it for me was the demo during the Microsoft conference. That sneak and snipe mission with all the foliage was massively delectable. I want that for multiplayer as of yesterday.

Mrbob

Infinity Ward rox. No surprise, except that they are doing this sweetness multiplatform and not having the benefit of focusing on one platform.

Woo-Fu

Banned
CoD4 is the safe choice. Multiplatform title that looks good on both next-gen platforms.

Pick halo3, alienate the sony fanboys
Pick killzone2, alienate the microsoft fanboys
Pick Super Mario Galaxy, be seen associating with the end of gaming as we know it.

Looking at it that way, he could only really choose between CoD4 and RE5 and we didn't get enough of RE5. :)

Woo-Fu

Banned
KyanMehwulfe said:
That sneak and snipe mission with all the foliage was massively delectable. I want that for multiplayer as of yesterday.

Sneak and snipe won't work in multiplayer short of granting snipers in cover complete invisibility. You know how well that will fly with the non-snipers out there? hehehehe.

HokieJoe

AltogetherAndrews said:
Textures? I thought that was one of the weaker components here, or at least it was in the official media. I was also surprised by the vegetation in the MS conference demonstration, didn't look too hot.

On the other hand, the experience itself looks to be incredible, making the inconsistencies and odd shortcomings easy to "forgive".

Going by the G4 presentation last night, I thought the grass was very well done. (Few games get the look of grass correct IMO) I haven't seen the footage in HD yet though.

MrToughPants said:
James said:
Activision and Infinity Ward showed us online, so you'll just have to take my word for it, but I've never seen anything look this good on an Xbox 360 or PS3 yet. It looks so good, and so realistic, and so fast and fun, it seriously looks like an awesome tech demo for a next-next generation gaming machine. Seriously. Holy shit. Wow.

I give up.

HokieJoe

MrToughPants said:

I think this is what he's referring to:

Milky said:
Right now there's no footage of what Activision and Infinity Ward showed us online, so you'll just have to take my word for it, but I've never seen anything look this good on an Xbox 360 or PS3 yet.

Reilly

I didn't think the COD4 demonstration looked that amazing. Yeah, of course the graphics are hot, but maybe it's just because I'm sort of sick of WWII/WWWhatever shooters that it leaves me a bit more excited to play Killzone 2. I like the potential of the story/universe in Killzone more than Joe Army guy.

cvxfreak

Dragona Akehi said:
No, the correct thing to say is this is the same dude that gave Baten Kaitos Origins a 4.5 out of 10. :p

Or the guy who thought the PS2 and PC versions of RE4 were better than the Wii one.

*shudders*

_Angelus_

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

Well its got that Metal Gear Look in textures which I like. Realism. High tech weapons,stealth gameplay,so the last thing we'd want to see is a bunch of rainbow textures slapped within the game,does that make sense? Its sorta hard to explain I guess. In that the variety of textures doesn't clash with the overall stage setting,it gives the presentation allot of realism,which works so well for these type of games. So maybe its the art rather than the textures,since yeah they are sorta low in variety.

HokieJoe said:
Going by the G4 presentation last night, I thought the grass was very well done. (Few games get the look of grass correct IMO) I haven't seen the footage in HD yet though.

It looked great from a distance, but when the player crouched it was the usual clippy grass (I don't know the name of the method or technology, but it looks like two textured planes intersecting to fake 3d grass), which made it almost look like Resistance grass. Not that I'm really holding it against the game given that there was a shitload of grass in that scene, but nevertheless there it was.

They are playing these games, and we saw COD4 demonstrated Live at the Microsoft Press Conference. That's a huge difference than seeing a trailer / teaser of a game. From what I've seen no game has been demonstrated live with a controller in hand that looks as good as COD4. I'll admit that I haven't seen Unreal Tournament 3 yet, so I'm trying to find it.

Can't wait to see what he's talking about. So far I haven't seen it, so if it is something great in the gameplay we haven't seen yet, I guess we have to give him the benefit of the doubt that his opinion is legit and not based on something else.

I think the whole "KZ vs. X" angle that 1Up seems going with on all these stories is pretty blatant fanboy bait, though. Obviously, they are trolling for more hits with these kinds of statements. Not good for 1Up's credibility. They should just leave that nonsense out.

CrushDance said:
FFS man. Is it wrong for a game to look good? And the other games in the series played pretty solidly to.

What is wrong with you people!

I have nothing against COD4, I can't wait for the game, but holy hell, all this guy talked about was how gorgeous the next-next-next-next-next gen graphics were.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
COD4 will own when it comes to gameplay. The footage I have seen so far make it look very impressive graphically.

calder

I can understand that opinion, having just watched the HD trailer on my TV. Damn it looks crazy, the graphics are detailed and very very good but mainly it's the crazy amounts of shit happening that has me most excited. I wouldn't say it's the best looking thing at the show (but how do you compare a shooter like that to MGS or Uncharted or Mass Effect?) but it's definitely my most anticipated FPS that we've seen this E3.

Just for the hell of it, my FPS interest meter based mostly on E3 media:
Excited for:
- COD4
- Killzone (mostly just curious at this point, looks to be a pretty by-the-numbers affair gameplay wise but there is clearly stuff they are holding back)
- Halo 3 (I thought the campaign trailer was damn good)

Somewhat interested in:
- UT 3 (there's just something about the look of all the UT games that doesn't engage me, but it's clearly impressive technically. I never stuck with either UT on PC for very long for whatever reason)
- as soon as I find some Crysis footage I'm sure it'll be here or or in the "excited" stack, but lack of a PC capable of even attempting to run it is a big damper

No interest in:
- MoH:Airborne (so very bored with WW2 again)
- Blacksite (looks to have an impressive variety of aliens and mutants, but doesn't grab me at all)
- any other WW2 shooter I might have seen and glazed over in a ennui induced fugue state

medrew

HocusPocus said:
They are playing these games, and we saw COD4 demonstrated Live at the Microsoft Press Conference. That's a huge difference than seeing a trailer / teaser of a game. From what I've seen no game has been demonstrated live with a controller in hand that looks as good as COD4. I'll admit that I haven't seen Unreal Tournament 3 yet, so I'm trying to find it.

He didn't play it. Nowhere does he saw he played it, it seems all they got was a full video of a level. ****ing hell.

Right now there's no footage of what Activision and Infinity Ward showed us online

Baryn

Banned
Yeah, the only game that had as much going for it in visuals and atmosphere was Killzone 2. COD4 is a HUGE surprise.

Alkaliine said:
I have nothing against COD4, I can't wait for the game, but holy hell, all this guy talked about was how gorgeous the next-next-next-next-next gen graphics were.
"I have nothing against Wii Fit, I can't wait for the game, but holy hell, all this guy talked about was how gorgeous the new-new-new-new-new gen scales were."

AM I missing something here to with both sides railing on each other so much??? Seriously. I'm just going to shut up about this stuff from now on.

I'll enjoy my Wii and whatever next gen system I pick up.

Angelus said:
Yep-the demonstration video of the game left my jaw on the floor.
Shadows,textures,presentation are awesome to behold.

AS good as the Sony and Microsoft games were on the floor,this one just is in a league of its own. The visuals flying around with such a silky smooth frame rate is wicked.

For anyone who hasn't seen it-head to Game Trailers and download the HD demonstration,its worth the download.

Agreed. Game Of The Show

thekad

Banned
Alkaliine said:

Mielke said:
lengthy in-the-shit firefight, where you've got to demolish a building while tanks, helicopters and dozens of dudes on bridges, in windows, around the corner are trying to snipe, machine gun, grenade and tank your ass out of existence. All at 60 frames per second, all soaked in incredible amounts of smoke, lighting effects (every light you see in the game is a genuine light source -- amazing), particles, physics, atmosphere and sheer ****ing excitement.

4msim55.jpg

Quazar

Baryn said:
Yeah, the only game that had as much going for it in visuals and atmosphere was Killzone 2. COD4 is a HUGE surprise.

I've been equally impressed with AC/ME, but that's just me I guess. Oh and UT.

Rhindle

COD4 is just unreal. I keep looking at it and thinking "something that looks like this can't possibly exist."

It's doubly amazing that it's coming from Infinity Ward, who I never would have pegged as capable of accomplishing something like this.

That having been said, WiiFit probably dwarves everything else in terms of its impact.

Top Bottom