• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Show E3 2007 Press Conference Review Chat

Mojojo

Pretty pointless show.. I prefer the weekly ones, more professional and cool-headed... They'd better do an awesome E3 wrap up, after testing all the media available to them, instead of commenting the conferences and spewing internet forum-like idiocies.

J-Rzez

BlueTsunami said:
I didn't want any of the conferences but wow at the silence when Reggie announced the release date for SSBB :lol

That amused me too the first time i saw it, you can tell they were waiting for a gushing of tears and cheers of joy, nope, haha... And Reggie tried to build it up to that too the way he spoke it... Like they said though, the usual hardcore Ninty fans weren't there this time, and what reason would that be? Hmmmm...

Kathleen has to fill in the spots once preserved by Che and Luke though, plugging MS more, since they both left to work for MS... But, eh, MS is trying to bridge the gap as well, just in second place in their efforts a lil behind Sony, but ages ahead of Ninty...

Their placement of the shows was right, Sony, then MS, then Ninty...

I'll have to listen to the podcast later about that CoD4 dev comment, haha...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
"Microsoft are where Nintendo want to be"
"Microsoft are bridging the gap between casual and hardcore"

Kathleen needs to stop. Nintendo controls casuals in more than 3 countries and will probably overtake microsoft before the end of the year. Really people need to stop calling Shane out for being a fanboy, when there are people like Kathleen, and others, who are much much much worst.

jjasper

TheGreatDave said:
Wow. I guess she really likes Scene It.

I don't understand Scene it. Right now I can buy it on DVD, I can play it on my xbox, ps2, ps3, 360 etc. why would I want to buy one that I can only play on a 360?

Armitage

jjasper said:
I don't understand Scene it. Right now I can buy it on DVD, I can play it on my xbox, ps2, ps3, 360 etc. why would I want to buy one that I can only play on a 360?

A game like Scene It is practically made for DLC, and in this case the DLC actually adds content in a convenient way.

DSWii60 said:
I used to think he's a fanboy, but now I've realised he is the least narrow-minded of the 1UP team.
no way. he's definitely improved, he's mellowed, but you can see just how eager he is to downplay Microsoft, talk about Sony, and make sure that everyone is agreed that the latter had the better conference. that said, he's a great personality and I wouldn't change a thing about him, because his schtick is a major part of his appeal.

I would say John and Ryan are consistently the most level-headed, least narrow-minded 1up guys.

DSWii60

neojubei said:
Kathleen needs to stop. Really people need to stop calling Shane out for being a fanboy, when there are people like Kathleen, and others, who are much much much worst.

QFT Shane officially rules now.

Much more bearable than usual. Only Kathleen was acting the spaz, everyone else seemed pretty level. Well, except for Shane. He got a little too excited at Kathleen's ramblings.

jimbo

Banned
lynux3 said:
I wish they would have talked more about the Killzone 2 trailer, but I guess there isn't much to say other than it absolutely rocked!

I smirked at the "Microsoft trying to bridge the gap between hardcore and casual" gamers. Sony has done that day one and are doing it day one with the PlayStation 3. I wasn't really understanding where she was coming from because Xbox 360 doesn't look like anything else other than a console focused around hardcore gamers. Of course you've got your XBLA, but that can only take you so far.

Pass the pipe dude. Sony is by far the furthest behind with their games line-up and pricing structure to attract the casuals.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gosh, some of you are pretty harsh.

I don't think it's so much a matter of fanboyism. At worst it can often be a case of awareness or unawareness. We've have countless threads here on GAF where many GAFFERs seem completely unaware of the stuff Sony does wrt 'casual' games. It's even more forgiveable, perhaps, if you're not in Europe. And I don't think Kathleen was remotely claiming that MS had a more credible case to make among casuals than Nintendo, but that they're trying to straddle the two camps, hardcore and casual. Her suggestion was, Nintendo = casual, Sony = hardcore, MS = trying to be both. Clearly Sony has for a long time been doing both with their approach to content and continues to do so on PS3 - even if you discount the current effectiveness of that due to system pricing - but that may be more or less obvious depending on your perspective. Put away the crucifixes!

datruth29

jimbo said:
Pass the pipe dude. Sony is by far the furthest behind with their games line-up and pricing structure to attract the casuals.
I wouldn't say the gaming line-up would lag them behind Microsoft. I think the only thing keeping the PS3 from growing more faster is the price.

datruth29

gofreak said:
And I don't think Kathleen was remotely claiming that MS had a more credible case to make among casuals than Nintendo, but that they're trying to straddle the two camps, hardcore and casual. Her suggestion was, Nintendo = casual, Sony = hardcore, MS = trying to be both. Clearly Sony has for a long time been doing both with their approach to content and continues to do so on PS3 - even if you discount the current effectiveness of that due to system pricing - but that may be more or less obvious depending on your perspective. Put away the crucifixes!
They may be trying to straddle between the two, but there doing it in a not so smart way. Most of there "casual" games are released via XBLA. The problem however isn't getting people to buy games off of XBLA, its getting people to buy the system, and I don't think any of the games on XBLA make it a system seller, especially to a mainstream crowd. Pacman may sell to a gamer who has a 360, but it won't sell a 360.

PleoMax

Banned
I still don't understand the halo 3 trailer. It really didn't do any good for Halo 3, even though impressions are being great from the Demo.

Who edited that trailer needs to find a new job.

Kathleen: "Pac-Man...Geometry Wars"

WTF? Pac-Man, maybe...sure. But GeoWars isn't a bridge to casual gamers AT ALL.

I'd say it is nice that MS is open to expanding from the hardcore shooter crowd. Great. But you have to make a major 1st-party commitment to do that. MS can't expect 3rd-parties to do that kind of game for them, the gamble to expand the XBox demographic have to come from within. Without seeing 2008, I think it is a little early to say that they are truly committed. After all, we thought they would be gently but steadily pushing in that direction back when Viva Pinata was released, but that turned out to be an aberration on the release schedule rather than a portent of things to come.

All I know is that whoever was working the camera, and managed to be aware enough to capture the look on Shane's face when she went into that rant, deserves a medal of some sort. Classic eye rolling moment from Shane. It did get a little uncomfortable with the whole "stop shoving me" thing, but that first part was great.

PleoMax said:
I still don't understand the halo 3 trailer. It really didn't do any good for Halo 3, even though impressions are being great from the Demo.

Bungie is alway too worried about spoilers (eventhough the story is pretty cheesy and not a selling point for me) and specially when you cut and paste textures/levels so much you could end up showing all their level design ideas in 3 minutes :p

These games have always been about Co-op and AI for me anyways.

jimbo

Banned
PleoMax said:

It's Halo 3. I don't think it matters what the trailer at E3 looks like. The game looks to go back to its Halo roots, and is in desperate need of a demonstration just like the original Halo.

They just need Marty playing any portion of the game for 15 minutes, and we'll have our "trailer".

Pimpwerx

Karma Kramer said:
one pro MS/anti-sony comment and GAF FREAKS OUT!

:lol

Will read more when I wake up
You're correct. The GAF criticism of 1UP all began with the KZ2 conference report. There has been no precedent established over the last couple of years or so now. Absolutely none. GAF overreacts again. PEACE.

legend166

I think Nintendo is stradling the fence between hardcore and casuals much more than MS or Sony so far this generation. They're still the only ones to have a hit for both audiences in Zelda and Wii Sports.

Anything that is downloadable content is never going to be casual and mainstream. Having to connect something by ethernet or WiFi is a barrier most people won't bother overcoming.

Scene It is the only thing Microsoft have done lately that could really have wide appeal, but it's let down by the fact it's cheeper and just as fun to buy it on DVD. They're trying, I'll give them that, but compared to Wii Fit it's just baby steps. They're replicating Sony's European PS2 stratagy.

Sony attempting to be mainstream at $500 is frankly lol worthy, so that's not even worth discusing.

legend166 said:
I think Nintendo is stradling the fence between hardcore and casuals much more than MS or Sony so far this generation. They're still the only ones to have a hit for both audiences in Zelda and Wii Sports.

nintendo is so far on the otherside of the fence they cant even see the fence anymore.

legend166 said:

TheGreatDave said:
Sony attempting to be mainstream at $500 is frankly lol worthy, so that's not even worth discusing.

Hmm. I totally missed the news that the PS2 and PSP suddenly ceased to exist. Guess those people playing Guitar Hero at Best Buy this weekend were an optical illusion. Sorry guys.

Pimpwerx

Why discount Nintendo? Wiiplay and the rest of the shlock on the system is selling to more than just casuals. Dare I say, more casuals AND hardcore gamers are buying a Wii than either of the other systems. It may not seem as obvious b/c the Wii lacks the GoW-style bloodbath, but the library still offers something for everyone. Just that violence is not, and will never be a major hallmark of any Nintendo system library. IMO, Nintendo has the winning strategy for bridging the gap, and they've been beating down both Sony and MS with it since Day 1. As Reggie said in the conference, "maybe you just didn't notice." PEACE.

Pristine_Condition said:
Hmm. I totally missed the news that the PS2 and PSP suddenly ceased to exist. Guess those people playing Guitar Hero at Best Buy this weekend were an optical illusion. Sorry guys.

Obviously I was refering to their PS3 stratagy.

jimbo

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
Kathleen: "Pac-Man...Geometry Wars"

WTF? Pac-Man, maybe...sure. But GeoWars isn't a bridge to casual gamers AT ALL.

I'd say it is nice that MS is open to expanding from the hardcore shooter crowd. Great. But you have to make a major 1st-party commitment to do that. MS can't expect 3rd-parties to do that kind of game for them, the chances with the demographic have to come from within. Without seeing 2008, I think it is a little early to say that they are truly committed. After all, we thought they would be gently but steadily pushing in that direction back when Viva Pinata was released, but that turned out to be an aberration on the release schedule rather than a portent of things to come.

These comments always confuse me. Is there a casual genre that I am missing somewhere?

Because the PS and PS2 appealed to the casual gamers with exactly the types of games that are coming out this fall. Maybe I'm crazy, but the idea that you have to have a Wii Sports, or a Wii Fit, is completely senile and only started gaining momentum since the Wii.

The casual gamer....doesn't just play the casual genre....because there is no such thing. The casual gamer is just as diverse in his tastes as the hardcore gamer, and play ALL types of games. In fact they play games a hardcore gamer wouldn't touch, reason for that being is, because they don't spend their lives reading reviews to know which games are 9's and 10's and because they also are attracted by movie/TV show liscenses while your hardcore gamer knows most of them end up sucking.

Who do you think games like the Simpsons, Harry Potter, Madden, Spider Man, Fantastic Four, and so many others are designed to attract? Kids and casual gamers.

The best way to attract casual gamers is and has always been....the greatest VARIETY in genres and WITHIN genres...and that includes games like Halo and MGS just as much as Wii Sports. For example....if I am a skateboarder, and I also play games casually...Wii Sports is probably not going to do much for me....but Tony Hawk WILL. Or if I am a musician, and I am, then Guitar Hero is going to be my type of game.

There's this really stupid stereotype that casual gamers are completely different than hardcore gamers. They really aren't. They like a lot of the games that we do but they just don't revolve their lives around them and they probably don't take risks on really wacky games like Idolmaster coming out of Japan.

the biggest reason nintendo has attracted the casuals has been the price specially when compared to the other consoles. Wii has the appeal of a regular toy. Its the difference between buying a Furby and buying 60" plasma.( which you also need to appreciate the other consoles and further alienates the casuals)

Praise for Microsoft doing something aimed at mainstream media, hate at Nintendo for that. Kathleen is fantasticly stupid at times.

(yes i edited and saw the bit where shane calls her out for being stupid)

DieH@rd

Banned
OMG, did 1UP Shane just confirmed that GT5 trailer was realtime???

"I TALKED TO GUYS WHO WORKED ON IT, AND THAT WAS ALL FROM THE VERSION COMING UP THIS NOVEMBER, AND LIKE CAMERA GOING IN AND OUT FROM THE CAR... ,YOU CAN DO THAT. AND YOU CAN LIKE PLAY WITH THE CAMERA, FULL ONLINE PLAY. "

@ 59 minute mark
http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/071107.mp3

MEGATON™

DieH@rd said:
OMG, did 1UP Shane just confirmed that GT5 trailer was realtime???

"I TALKED TO GUYS WHO WORKED ON IT, AND THAT WAS ALL FROM THE VERSION COMING UP THIS NOVEMBER, AND LIKE CAMERA GOING IN AND OUT FROM THE CAR... ,YOU CAN DO THAT. AND YOU CAN LIKE PLAY WITH THE CAMERA, FULL ONLINE PLAY. "

@ 59 minute mark
http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/071107.mp3

MEGATON™

that doesnt mean it was realt time it just mean anything you saw in the clip you are able to do in the real game.

ice cream

Banned
DSWii60 said:
QFT Shane officially rules now.
shaneav.gif

Pristine_Condition said:
I'd say it is nice that MS is open to expanding from the hardcore shooter crowd. Great. But you have to make a major 1st-party commitment to do that. MS can't expect 3rd-parties to do that kind of game for them, the gamble to expand the XBox demographic have to come from within. Without seeing 2008, I think it is a little early to say that they are truly committed. After all, we thought they would be gently but steadily pushing in that direction back when Viva Pinata was released, but that turned out to be an aberration on the release schedule rather than a portent of things to come.

Oy gevalt.

When you drop in the ridiculous and unfounded "shooter" claim, you undercut your entire argument. Three full featured racers, three RPGs, all 1st party, all out by this Christmas.

Let's pack this "shooter" nonsense up, shall we?

DSWii60 said:
I don't usually go for ad hominem arguments but Kathleen is an idiot.

"Microsoft are where Nintendo want to be"
"Microsoft are bridging the gap between casual and hardcore"

I totally agree with you, and when she mentionned Pac man... just ask Miyamoto if that Pac man experience on the GC GBA did really bridge the gap....

ughhh... common.

Allen

Patrick is annoying. I hate episodes where everyone is yelling. If I wanted that I’d turn on Fox News.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
1up nailed the gist of the conferences:
- sony praised
- microsoft middle of the road
- nintendo justifiably shit on

i'm curious to see what they have to say after watching more direct feed trailers and playing games on the show floor.

guise

Holy crap gamevideos is giving me the most disgusting download rate ive seen. So much for the new server :lol

SonnyBoy

Casual Gamers? :lol

Casual gamers actually play video games from whatever console has the game they want.

Hardcore gamers play the game for a day and hope on the internet to bitch and moan about it on GAF.

OMG at Shane fans. Glory hunters. What's next? Garnett love?

I don't think Kathleen explained herself very well, however good Shane's counter argument was.

Top Bottom