• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Show E3 2007 Press Conference Review Chat

rod furlong said:
sorry but please don't.

Alrighty, I'll even edit it out for you.

You guys (assuming you're from Gamevideos) should really plead to your superiors about better servers though. Took me four hours to download the damn thing over here in good ’ol Scandinavia. :/

sp0rsk said:
Rambling again, but I think it may be time that we seperate the non-gamers from the casuals.

I think the millions of casual gamers who buy stuff like Spiderman and Madden are totally different people than the ones Nintendo is trying to grab at. We can call them the late gamers or something.

co-signed.

Most of my friends arent big into games, I would consider them casual games and when I told them about wii fit, most of them thought it was some dumb s***.

and im not totally against Nintendo making non-games, I think vision training (I have the import) is very awesome and does work, I just think they need a healthy dose of quality regular games also. I sometimes forget that the Gamecube didnt get tons of great games quickly, it also got good games after long periods of waiting.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
traveler said:
I agree there is a difference between the Wii Sports mom or grandpa and the always-played-them-but-never-got-into-them Madden/GTA/Halo player. The latter "casual player" will probably still be more inclined to head with the 360 or PS3 (moreso 360 though, thanks to price, GTA content, football game quality, and Halo) while the former "new gamer lite" (TM) will choose the Wii.

I think us hardcore really fail to realize just how hardcore we are. The casual gamers used to be looked at by us people who don't really play games, and buy up every crappy movie liscense that comes out. Now that we've encountered a new group, who is not only casual, but into games that run perpendicular with ours from a design standpoint, we not only resent them, we're scared like **** of them. They out number us, afterall. So now we look back at those damn casuals who were stopping creativity in games and all those other bad things, and we have to be like, well, they may be our last hope at keeping our way of gaming alive. We can't support the industry by ourselves, we're the gluttons who keep asking for a bigger turkey. This seems to be the situation as it stands from a gaffers point of view.

However, I see things a little differently, and I think Nintendo sees it too. Actually, I know they see it, because Iwata talked about it during the conference. This idea of "lifestyle" software or non-games or whatever, taking a non gamer, and turning them into a late gamer. Zelda for DS is a perfect example of this. Zelda DS may be the best selling Zelda game in Japan after it's done; sales seem to show no signs of slowing down in the near future. What does this mean? Late gamers are buying our games. The reason Zelda DS makes such a great example though, is that it not only is one of those "satellite" games, it also merges aspects of our games with aspects of theirs and makes something really refreshing and creative. So not only does it show that late gamers aren't totally evil, but it also shows that this sidestep has benefits for us by way of fresh ideas coming into the games we love.

What the hell is Kathleen babbling about exactly?

LOL @ Microsoft expanding market more than Sony or Nintendo for god's sake...

Scene It, Viva Pinata Party and Disney movies on XBL really expand that market don't they :lol :lol :lol

I like 1up Show but the fanboy-ism is just rampant.

Blackface

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
What the hell is Kathleen babbling about exactly?

LOL @ Microsoft expanding market more than Sony or Nintendo for god's sake...

Scene It, Viva Pinata Party and Disney movies on XBL really expand that market don't they :lol :lol :lol

I like 1up Show but the fanboy-ism is just rampant.

The Disney feature is going to be a hit with parents, trust me. You have to understand, now every time a kid watched a show, movie or goes to a place that involved Disney, Xbox 360 is going to be shoved down there throat, so there parents go and buy it.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Trax416 said:
The Disney feature is going to be a hit with parents, trust me. You have to understand, now every time a kid watched a show, movie or goes to a place that involved Disney, Xbox 360 is going to be shoved down there throat, so there parents go and buy it.
I think Blu-Ray success to Disney is a *little* more important to them than the XBLM. So no, I doubt they'll be advertising 360 anywhere.

Trax416 said:

Somehow I think it's easier for a parent to go to the theater or Blockbuster than to boot the XBOX Live Marketplace and then spend a couple hours downloading a movie for the kids.

Rufus

sp0rsk said:
However, I see things a little differently, and I think Nintendo sees it too. Actually, I know they see it, because Iwata talked about it during the conference. This idea of "lifestyle" software or non-games or whatever, taking a non gamer, and turning them into a late gamer. Zelda for DS is a perfect example of this. Zelda DS may be the best selling Zelda game in Japan after it's done; sales seem to show no signs of slowing down in the near future. What does this mean? Late gamers are buying our games. The reason Zelda DS makes such a great example though, is that it not only is one of those "satellite" games, it also merges aspects of our games with aspects of theirs and makes something really refreshing and creative. So not only does it show that late gamers aren't totally evil, but it also shows that this sidestep has benefits for us by way of fresh ideas coming into the games we love.
That's bridging right there.

Somehow I think it's easier for a parent to go to the theater or Blockbuster than to boot the XBOX Live Marketplace and then spend a couple hours downloading a movie for the kids.

It only takes about 5 minutes...

deadbeef

Karma Kramer said:
It only takes about 5 minutes...

Yeah, you can start playing it as soon as it has a sufficient amount buffered.

Mrbob

Ryan you copied my thoughts exactly. No need to say anymore.

Trax416 said:

Or they will just get the DVD from the closet and put it in the DVD player. Why would they rent a movie when they own it at home? If any hi def version is purchased, it will be on Blu Ray (which disney is advertising the hell out of right now).

traveler

Not Wario
Firestorm said:
"Apparently, there are a lot of things on YouTube about the Wii"
:lol

Seriously. Leaving Brawl and Galaxy out of your conference for Wii Fit to help appeal to your new market is one thing; leaving them out so you can jack off to your success for 45 minutes is another. They could have cut that shit out after the first 20 min. and had plenty of room to demo to both the hardcore and casual.

Banned
traveler said:
Seriously. Leaving Brawl and Galaxy out of your conference for Wii Fit to help appeal to your new market is one thing; leaving them out so you can jack off to your success for 45 minutes is another. They could have cut that shit out after the first 20 min. and had plenty of room to demo to both the hardcore and casual.
And people would have still bitched.

This isn't about the conference. This is about Nintendo for the past year changing and no one wanting to realize it. Nintendo could have trotted out mario galaxy, Metroid Prime, Smash...etc etc... as soon as wiifit hit the stage Nintendo was doomed to third place, becuase all nay-saying aside no one wants to see that.

I don't know his name, but the guy in the video who said he now hates casual gamers and doesn't want to see them involved in gaming hit the nail on the head. His attitude is exactly the same as most people who follow 1up and frequent these boards. The girl was just like him, saying stuff like scene it and geometry wars was mainstream. She only said that becuase it was on hardware that would make sure that shit is buried under piles of hardcore games

traveler said:

They have to remind the Washington Post that they rule.

Duderz

Banned
traveler said:

While Nintendo certainly had plenty of montages that were unnecessary, cut them some slack - this is the first time they've been in the mainstream media spotlight in over a decade. I'd certainly feel vindicated.

And what the hell was Kathleen thinking, with Microsoft "bridging" the two audiences? :lol

sp0rsk said:
I think us hardcore really fail to realize just how hardcore we are. The casual gamers used to be looked at by us people who don't really play games, and buy up every crappy movie liscense that comes out. Now that we've encountered a new group, who is not only casual, but into games that run perpendicular with ours from a design standpoint, we not only resent them, we're scared like **** of them. They out number us, afterall. So now we look back at those damn casuals who were stopping creativity in games and all those other bad things, and we have to be like, well, they may be our last hope at keeping our way of gaming alive. We can't support the industry by ourselves, we're the gluttons who keep asking for a bigger turkey. This seems to be the situation as it stands from a gaffers point of view.

for the first time in my days here on gaf, i want to kiss you man.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Kathleen looks out of place trying to be a shill for a company, at least Shane can be funny about it. She really looks out of place when she tries to hype Halo 3.

Duderz said:
While Nintendo certainly had plenty of montages that were unnecessary, cut them some slack - this is the first time they've been in the mainstream media spotlight in over a decade. I'd certainly feel vindicated.

And what the hell was Kathleen thinking, with Microsoft "bridging" the two audiences? :lol

It's going to be hard to take her seriously again. I only recently forgave her for her comments back in December than if you play it with composite cables Twilight Princess looks like an N64 game.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
traveler said:

last year they showed wii sports for about 20mins and mario and the rest of the gang for 5 mins. Last year they gloated about the success of the ds. They still had all the games you wanted on the show floor to play. Thats what they did this year too. E3 press conferences are mainly for the mainstream media. The hardcore media covers gaming 24/7 but the mainstream media only at big events and E3 is the biggest event in gaming. At no other time do you see the mainstream media report a gaming event on tv.

Windu said:
last year they showed wii sports for about 20mins and mario and the rest of the gang for 5 mins. Last year they gloated about the success of the ds. They still had all the games you wanted on the show floor to play. Thats what they did this year too. E3 press conferences are mainly for the mainstream media. The hardcore media covers gaming 24/7 but the mainstream media only at big events and E3 is the biggest event in gaming. At no other time do you see the mainstream media report a gaming event on tv.

And as a result, you get Can Wii save your life?

tanod

when is my burrito
Trax416 said:

They're not with the titles they announced. Ugh.

Top Bottom