• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Show E3 2007 Press Conference Review Chat

lynux3

I wish they would have talked more about the Killzone 2 trailer, but I guess there isn't much to say other than it absolutely rocked!

I smirked at the "Microsoft trying to bridge the gap between hardcore and casual" gamers. Sony has done that day one and are doing it day one with the PlayStation 3. I wasn't really understanding where she was coming from because Xbox 360 doesn't look like anything else other than a console focused around hardcore gamers. Of course you've got your XBLA, but that can only take you so far.

Yeah, Kathleen was wrong on that point, Sony is doing a way better job than MS on expanding the market. She seemed to be really defensive about MS through the whole minishow.

Surfheart

lynux3 said:
I wish they would have talked more about the Killzone 2 trailer, but I guess there isn't much to say other than it absolutely rocked!

I smirked at the "Microsoft trying to bridge the gap between hardcore and casual" gamers. Sony has done that day one and are doing it day one with the PlayStation 3. I wasn't really understanding where she was coming from because Xbox 360 doesn't look like anything else other than a console focused around hardcore gamers. Of course you've got your XBLA, but that can only take you so far.

Casuals can afford $499USD Consoles?

Odrion

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Yeah, Kathleen was wrong on that point, Sony is doing a way better job than MS on expanding the market. She seemed to be really defensive about MS through the whole minishow.
Hey, how else are you going to get a job at MS?

Rezbit

lynux3 said:

SIGH. WHEN WILL THIS SHIT END.

lynux3

Can they afford $399/$479 consoles?

All I'm trying to say is that I was confused at where she was trying to go with her argument.

Yoboman

Surfheart said:
Casuals can afford $499USD Consoles?
Maybe not, but Sony's emphasis on games like LBP, Home, Singstar, that card game etc. have shown they've been doing it since day 1. It's in their blood, Sony did have the best selling console of all time after all. MS seems like they're really just realising the problem now and are rushing to try and put their piece in the broader market (rather poorly I might add.) Sony's barrier to the casual is the price, not the content they're putting out.

lynux3

Rezbit said:
SIGH. WHEN WILL THIS SHIT END.

Don't get your panties in knot, buddy. I was just confused on what she was trying to argue. Anyways, let me know when it actually "begins" and then we can talk about the end. ;)

My favorite part was the CoD4 developer they asked about the PS3 version of CoD4:

1up: Comeon, hows the PS3 version look.
Dev: Fine.
1up: Fine...as in 30fps?
Dev: Umm anything less than 60fps is unacceptable.
1up: No fps problems? well how did you do it?
Developer: ...We...programed it.

LawLz.

Surfheart

Yoboman said:
Maybe not, but Sony's emphasis on games like LBP, Home, Singstar, that card game etc. have shown they've been doing it since day 1. It's in their blood, Sony did have the best selling console of all time after all. MS seems like they're really just realising the problem now and are rushing to try and put their piece in the broader market (rather poorly I might add.) Sony's barrier to the casual is the price, not the content they're putting out.

You are absolutely right. It will be interesting to see how more casual friendly software does given the price positioning of the machine.

lynux3

AEBrock said:
My favorite part was the CoD4 developer they asked about the PS3 version of CoD4:

1up: Comeon, hows the PS3 version look.
Dev: Fine.
1up: Fine...as in 30fps?
Dev: Umm anything less than 60fps is unacceptable.
1up: No fps problems? well how did you do it?
Developer: ...We...programed it.

LawLz.

Bad part is that it has significantly more jags than the Xbox 360 version. Other than that it looked excellent in that "Sizzle" trailer Sony played yesterday. The game ran smooth.

hauton

And for all the flak they've been getting for ignoring the 3rd-party, they've been doing it VERY well with the smaller guys (Media Molecule, ThatGameCompany, Ninja Theory, etc.)

Speevy

Banned
Microsoft doesn't have enough studios, plain and simple. They're having a pretty easy time taking nearly every third party exclusive that Sony ever claimed, though. These things don't happen by accident.

FightyF

Banned
Speevy said:
Microsoft doesn't have enough studios, plain and simple. They're having a pretty easy time taking nearly every third party exclusive that Sony ever claimed, though. These things don't happen by accident.

Yeah, I ranted on this over a year ago. I argued that games aren't in MS's "DNA", which some people could see as ironic as they are a softs company. But I think with Ed Fries out of the picture, there's little hope for innovative software. Sure, they are pumping out pretty solid titles...some stellar, but the amount of content doesn't even compare to the amount of content Sony made for the PS2. There's no growth.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Fight for Freeform said:
Yeah, I ranted on this over a year ago. I argued that games aren't in MS's "DNA", which some people could see as ironic as they are a softs company. But I think with Ed Fries out of the picture, there's little hope for innovative software. Sure, they are pumping out pretty solid titles...some stellar, but the amount of content doesn't even compare to the amount of content Sony made for the PS2. There's no growth.

yeah when microsoft eventually gets their first party stuff at the volume of nintendo and sony then where will the 3rd parties turn? everywhere they go they will have to compete with tons of first parties. I guess the industry will bigger by the time that happens though so there will be room for that. oh well we will see what happens.

Solty

Yoboman said:
Maybe not, but Sony's emphasis on games like LBP, Home, Singstar, that card game etc. have shown they've been doing it since day 1.
These games aren't even out yet. Pretty interesting definition of "since day 1". But I guess MS is just frantically "rushing it" by being so much later than Sony with titles for casuals. For instance, LBP, Home, and Singstar were there at "day 1" as opposed to Microsoft frantically trying to release titles like Viva Pinata, Uno, and Kameo only now that they've seen Sony's leadership here.

lynux3

Solty said:
These games aren't even out yet. Pretty interesting definition of "since day 1". But I guess MS is just frantically "rushing it" by being so much later than Sony with titles for casuals. For instance, LBP, Home, and Singstar were there at "day 1" as opposed to Microsoft frantically trying to release titles like Viva Pinata, Uno, and Kameo only now that they've seen Sony's leadership here.

Good point. I guess one could say that any upcoming or released games targeted towards the casual market for PS2 can be played cross platform on PS3. Can't exactly do the same on Xbox 360, unfortunately.

This is hilarious.

Moore hits start and the menu comes up and he has no idea whats going on, he got SO close to hitting restart and you could just tell everyone was thinking NO! NO!

Casuals have jobs and money too, people. Get them interested enough, and they'll spend it.

Interestingly, though, I think your average non-gamer adult male would be more interested in say, God of War 3, than Wii Fit. Just look at what's big in Hollywood. That's not to say Nintendo's approach is totally wrong, but I think that the industry underestimates these non-gamers. They're not too stupid to do anything but flail their arms and balance on scales. If you're going to try to sell them Wiis, why not show them Metroid? They might just love it.

pswii60

Speevy said:

One thing Sony will always have for their consoles is games. Quite simply because their internal development stable is so huge. So even through the hard times (this year, for example), they can continue to plough away ensuring they will have good games for when it matters.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Guys this was a pretty well rounded interview. Kathleen did make that statement about MS but Shane put her in check and she conceeded his point (about LBP and other mainstream type games). She admitted at the end that she'd have to get a PS3 now, so let's not hate on Kathleen please, kthxbye. :)

bud

the look on shane's face when kathleen says ''ms that's trying to bridge....'' :lol

''you're daft'' :lol

<3 shane

farnham

Banned
i enjoyed the podcast..

they made nice points what went wrong what went right..

they focused on the conference as a media happening rather then the games though...

and in that perspective i agree

Nintendo was bragging.. MS was doing cheesy stuff and Sony finally delivered some good stuff..

too bad that if you look only at the new announcements wii fit trumps them all (looking at sales potential only)

and i agree with shane that they should have mentioned more DS games..

justjohn

so scene it and viva pinata party are the games bridging hardcore and casual. is this bitch on crack or something :lol

I don't think she was totally wrong on that point, even if Sony's doing a better job in that area.

I think a lot older people wouldn't be too intimidated to pick up and play Pac Man CE on their kids' 360s. I mean, everyone's comfortable playing Pac Man. It's a good gateway drug. It gets the controller in their hands.

"So, yeah, Dad, that was fun. Want to maybe try Guitar Hero? Maybe Gears of War?"

creativity said:
I don't think she was totally wrong on that point, even if Sony's doing a better job in that area.

I think a lot older people wouldn't be too intimidated to pick up and play Pac Man CE on their kids' 360s. I mean, everyone's comfortable playing Pac Man. It's a good gateway drug. It gets the controller in their hands.

"So, yeah, Dad, that was fun. Want to maybe try Guitar Hero? Maybe Gears of War?"

Why would you want your dad to play them with you? :lol

Seriously though, PS3 has Qbert, what's the problem?

Personally I cant see how LBP and Home are aimed at casuals, creating game levels for others and wandering around a virtual world chatting to randoms seems Hardcore to me.

Casual gamers want a $200 system, Madden and GTA surely?

akachan ningen said:
Why would you want your dad to play them with you? :lol

Seriously though, PS3 has Qbert, what's the problem?

Hey, it's there, and it's something else to play. I think a lot of non-gamers just don't know what's going on in the gaming world. It's not that they couldn't appreciate something like Half-Life 2 as non-gamers. It's that they haven't SEEN it. I have an easier time seeing my dad getting into an action-packed FPS than prancing around the living room with the Wiimote.

mr_bishiuk said:
Personally I cant see how LBP and Home are aimed at casuals, creating game levels for others and wandering around a virtual world chatting to randoms seems Hardcore to me.

Casual gamers want a $200 system, Madden and GTA surely?

It seems hardcore, but you'd be surprised how many girls (not your typical hardcore gamer) get into WoW (undoubtedly a complex and intimidating game) for the chat feature and the emote system. "Oh wow, these are real people? Hah!"

I fell asleep on the floor one night, because my girlfriend at the time made a character and played for like 5 hours straight. The guild I was in was also about 50% female.

DSWii60

I don't usually go for ad hominem arguments but Kathleen is an idiot.

"Microsoft are where Nintendo want to be"
"Microsoft are bridging the gap between casual and hardcore"

I mean WTF. Even excluding Nintendo, Sony are bridging the gap between casual and hardcore more with Singstar, Eyetoy, Buzz etc. I loved in when Shane said to her "you're daft." Respect for Shane +1. I used to think he's a fanboy, but now I've realised he is the least narrow-minded of the 1UP team.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I didn't want any of the conferences but wow at the silence when Reggie announced the release date for SSBB :lol

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
DSWii60 said:
I don't usually go for ad hominem arguments but Kathleen is an idiot.

"Microsoft are where Nintendo want to be"
"Microsoft are bridging the gap between casual and hardcore"

I mean WTF. Even excluding Nintendo, Sony are bridging the gap between casual and hardcore more with Singstar, Eyetoy, Buzz etc. I loved in when Shane said to her "you're daft." Respect for Shane +1. I used to think he's a fanboy, but now I've realised he is the least narrow-minded of the 1UP team.

Lol. Nintendo are where Nintendo want to be.

PS2 is where Sony and MS want to be.

... PS2 is where I want the top dog to be :(

Top Bottom