• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Show E3 2007 Press Conference Review Chat

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Can someone rehost the 1up show. Gamevideos is forbidden at my job (even when I use ips).

Youtube is also forbidden so...

RiFT

Ryan makes me laugh....

Waah waah, Nintendo aren't making games for ME ONLY, I'm a xHARDxCORExGAMERx, I like to play shitty, generic FPSs and Nintendo AREN'T MAKING THOSE for ME waah waah

Yasser

RiFT said:
Ryan makes me laugh....

Waah waah, Nintendo aren't making games for ME ONLY, I'm a xHARDxCORExGAMERx, I like to play shitty, generic FPSs and Nintendo AREN'T MAKING THOSE for ME waah waah
dude you make me laugh

Barakov

RiFT said:
Ryan makes me laugh....

Looking forward to getting in shape?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I take back what I said, that seemed like quite unbiased. Personally I mirror pretty much their impressions.

RiFT said:
Ryan makes me laugh....

Sure, I do like FPS games, I like racing games, RPGs, action-adventure games, puzzle games, fighting games, etc, etc, etc...

What I don't like is being told I should be excited about playing the same rehashed franchise games over and over again... Maybe I'm crazy, but I just can't get excited about playing another Mario Kart, Mario Party, or Smash Bros again and again and again... maybe it would be easier to swallow if the games didn't look last gen; I have yet to be impressed by Wiimote controls in a traditional genre... though RE4 for the Wii is cool. But because there's so much new stuff to play, I haven't really been able to dig into a game I've already played through two-and-a-half times.

Miyamoto is putting his creative genius to work by making these non-game experiences. They're cool and I don't have any problem with him doing that, but I don't get very excited about playing them either. The last new franchise he was involved in that I truly adore is Pikmin and I can't help but wish he'd take on a an original project like that again.

I was much less enthusiastic about Twilight Princess by the end of the game than I had been at the beginning... I didn't like Super Paper Mario... I enjoy toying with the Virtual console now and again, and I had one really fun weekend with Kororinpa. I'm cautiously optimistic about Prime 3, and I think Mario Galaxy looks genius; but by and large, the Wii doesn't excite me much yet. And there are probably 20-30 games that I'm highly anticipating on the other four platforms that will be released by the end of the year. (PS3, 360, PSP, DS)

But to each his own, I suppose. I'm not trying to make you like the Wii any less, I'm just giving my opinion :)

Woo-Fu

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
one pro MS/anti-sony comment and GAF FREAKS OUT!

They didn't freak out because it was pro MS/anti-Sony, the freaked out because her comment was about as far from reality as you can get.

santouras said:
watching that was like reading half the threads on gaf in the last 24 hrs
"Nintendo's ignored me! *cry*"
I think that is a great thing. Mainstream media may be all about itprintsmoney.gif, but at least one set of journalists are still interested in gaming.

Philthy

DSWii60 said:
I mean WTF. Even excluding Nintendo, Sony are bridging the gap between casual and hardcore more with Singstar, Eyetoy, Buzz etc.

I think she also meant at a price point as well. The console between the Wii and PS3 is the 360. Just about cheap enough to buy, but not too expensive and entirely out of reach like the PS3. Right now their entire XBLA mostly consists of games for casual players. Games like ZUMA, Bejeweled 2, UNO, etc that you couldn't get your girlfriend to stop playing, even after a few hits with a baseball bat. Then you have the "normal" games they've been pushing along with Viva Pinata. Sony might be trying for more casual gamers, but they're interested in $300 consoles at best.

sp0rsk said:
They are gameeeeesssssssssssssssssssss arrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg

Fine, you're right. But if I say non-games, you know what I'm talking about...

I'll now refer to that genre as ultra-casual, life-betterment, cool? :)

This whole "Nintendo are leaving core gamers behind!" shit when the vast majority of their 2007 titles are almost completely fan service (Galaxy, SMASH, Metroid, Fire Emblem) is just getting stupid now. Do you think that just because they took E3 and used it to talk to the mainstream, a perfect opportunity for them, rather than show gamers footage they can get online that that means they're not actually making a whole load of stuff you haven't seen?

If Nintendo's 08 lineup is shit, all this doomed, non-games bullshit I can accept. Right now Nintendo haven't had as many potential GOTY contenders released in one year for a hell of a long time.

lynux3 said:
I wish they would have talked more about the Killzone 2 trailer, but I guess there isn't much to say other than it absolutely rocked!

I smirked at the "Microsoft trying to bridge the gap between hardcore and casual" gamers. Sony has done that day one and are doing it day one with the PlayStation 3. I wasn't really understanding where she was coming from because Xbox 360 doesn't look like anything else other than a console focused around hardcore gamers. Of course you've got your XBLA, but that can only take you so far.

With a 499$ console Sony is aiming to get the casual market?

Wow at certain 1up reporters being no more sensible than random GAF posters. "Now i know Wii is not for me", based on a single press conference? I hope that means they're going to skip playing Zack & Wiki, new Trauma Center, and any other games obviously not meant for them because they weren't shown at this single conference. Put your money where your mouth is, I say. I'll stick to better game and game industry analysis like the Bonus Round from now on....jesus.

farnham

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
At least Sony have a history of making a product that can sell to 100 million people.
and a product that can potentially sell 5 million units without a single game on it released... (hint its out now)

farnham

Banned
BlackTyrano said:
Wow at certain 1up reporters being no more sensible than random GAF posters. "Now i know Wii is not for me", based on a single press conference? I hope that means they're going to skip playing Zack & Wiki, new Trauma Center, and any other games obviously not meant for them because they weren't shown at this single conference. Put your money where your mouth is, I say. I'll stick to better game and game industry analysis like the Bonus Round from now on....jesus.
too bad that ryan will have to review or preview or come in contact with a shit ton of wii games in the future...

cartoon_soldier said:

Yes, I will even say that just having blu ray in the PS3 already makes it appeal to the casual market and at $499 it cost the same as other blu ray players but can also play games and do other things on it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
cartoon_soldier said:

...and Microsoft is trying to get there by charging people to play Uno online. Puhleeease.

Instead of pointing out the issues both face when addressing the casual gamer, why not we go back to the original intent which is to compare what they ARE doing?

Linkzg said:
Yes, I will even say that just having blu ray in the PS3 already makes it appeal to the casual market and at $499 it cost the same as other blu ray players but can also play games and do other things on it.

When I think of the casual market, I think of people watching their movies on a game console.

Woo-Fu said:
...and Microsoft is trying to get there by charging people to play Uno online. Puhleeease.

Instead of pointing out the issues both face when addressing the casual gamer, why not we go back to the original intent which is to compare what they ARE doing?

I never said MS was doing anything good. I am disputing the post of Sony appealing to the casual gamer. When the PS3 is 299$ maybe.

squicken

justjohn said:
so scene it and viva pinata party are the games bridging hardcore and casual. is this bitch on crack or something :lol

How could you possibly think that's appropriate?

edit: i see the apology

ice cream

Banned
PistolGrip said:
Can someone rehost the 1up show. Gamevideos is forbidden at my job (even when I use ips).

Youtube is also forbidden so...
525083392_cd73490c31.jpg

TheGreatDave said:
At least Sony have a history of making a product that can sell to 100 million people.

And you might want to see at what price point that product sold to a 100 million people. Yes, when the PS3 is 299$ it will sell like hot cup-cakes.

Reilly said:
Shane owned Kathleen. :lol

I can't get over him using the word "daft".

Linkzg said:

Blu Ray has no mass market appeal, at least not now. It's pretty much up there with 5.1 sound in terms of it's necessity to the average person.

cartoon_soldier said:
And you might want to see at what price point that product sold to a 100 million people. Yes, when the PS3 is 299$ it will sell like hot cup-cakes.

My point is they know all about making software that can drive casual sales. Microsoft haven't proven they do.

madmook

The streaming seems to be busted on the site, and I can't download either the wmv or mov versions! What gives? Too much traffic?

binaryburrito said:
Sure, I do like FPS games, I like racing games, RPGs, action-adventure games, puzzle games, fighting games, etc, etc, etc...

What I don't like is being told I should be excited about playing the same rehashed franchise games over and over again... Maybe I'm crazy, but I just can't get excited about playing another Mario Kart, Mario Party, or Smash Bros again and again and again... maybe it would be easier to swallow if the games didn't look last gen; I have yet to be impressed by Wiimote controls in a traditional genre... though RE4 for the Wii is cool. But because there's so much new stuff to play, I haven't really been able to dig into a game I've already played through two-and-a-half times.

Miyamoto is putting his creative genius to work by making these non-game experiences. They're cool and I don't have any problem with him doing that, but I don't get very excited about playing them either. The last new franchise he was involved in that I truly adore is Pikmin and I can't help but wish he'd take on a an original project like that again.

I was much less enthusiastic about Twilight Princess by the end of the game than I had been at the beginning... I didn't like Super Paper Mario... I enjoy toying with the Virtual console now and again, and I had one really fun weekend with Kororinpa. I'm cautiously optimistic about Prime 3, and I think Mario Galaxy looks genius; but by and large, the Wii doesn't excite me much yet. And there are probably 20-30 games that I'm highly anticipating on the other four platforms that will be released by the end of the year. (PS3, 360, PSP, DS)

But to each his own, I suppose. I'm not trying to make you like the Wii any less, I'm just giving my opinion :)
Good post, I pretty much agree on all your Wii game opinions (I was fortunate to have not played RE4 before the Wii though). What really peeves me is that despite the Wii being very novel hardware, Nintendo are "appealing to the hardcore fans" in exactly the wrong way. They have a huge opportunity to bring new exciting IP and yet we are getting tired retreads of old stuff with gimmickry.

I just want mature content from Nintendo that is aimed at the hardcore market (see; Super Mario Galaxy, Rhythm Tengoku, F-Zero GX) and less crap. They really do have the luxury to do whatever they like with "hardcore" game development at this point, what's the problem?

Woo-Fu

Banned
cartoon soldier is another person hung up on the price point, better off just acknowledging that fact and moving on.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
binaryburrito said:
Fine, you're right. But if I say non-games, you know what I'm talking about...

I'll now refer to that genre as ultra-casual, life-betterment, cool? :)

I prefer "Bundles of Joy"

cartoon_soldier said:
And that software only comes into play at a certain price point.

I agree. But the price will come down, and they will have software that can compete. The problem is Nintendo are getting games like Smartypants and Boogie from EA that pretty much emulate what Sony have had success doing. So it may be hard for them.

justjohn said:
alright i apologise

Prove it.

traveler

Not Wario
TheGreatDave said:
This whole "Nintendo are leaving core gamers behind!" shit when the vast majority of their 2007 titles are almost completely fan service (Galaxy, SMASH, Metroid, Fire Emblem) is just getting stupid now. Do you think that just because they took E3 and used it to talk to the mainstream, a perfect opportunity for them, rather than show gamers footage they can get online that that means they're not actually making a whole load of stuff you haven't seen?

If Nintendo's 08 lineup is shit, all this doomed, non-games bullshit I can accept. Right now Nintendo haven't had as many potential GOTY contenders released in one year for a hell of a long time.

The problem is that Nintendo's lineup is ALL either fan-service or casual games. (for the most part) When I look at what is exciting me on the 360 and PS3, it's Uncharted and Mass Effect. It's BioShock and that new Infamous game. It's Assassin's Creed and Lair. It's these new IPs that explore new game concepts in immersive worlds and tell meaningful stories that grab my attention. Unfortunately, we're not really seeing any games like the above on the Wii. They just don't seem to care about stuff like the mind-blowing conversation and relationship system in Mass Effect, or the incredibly mature themes dealt with in BioShock; they only aim to churn out more sequels to please the Nintendo hardcore and "non-games" (or casual games or whatever you want to label them) to please their new found demographics.

sprsk

At the end there Kathleen really wasn't making much sense. I can't remember exactly what she said but I remember my reaction being, "What on earth are you talking about?"

I think she was saying Microsoft was doing the best at bridging the casual and hardcore or whatever, something like that. And that they were doing it with Geometry Wars and Pac Man.

I agree that these games are accessible, but they are also on XBLA. XBLA isn't driving any hardware sales and it won't simply because of the fact the only time casuals hear about stuff like Pac-man CE is through their Xbox-owning friends.

Perhaps this is just a case of Goldylocks and the three bears.

Microsoft's soup is too hardcore
Nintendo's soup is too casual
Sony's soup is too damn expensive, but hey, it tastes pretty good.

TheWolf

Banned
Pac-Man? you've got to be ****ing kidding me...

i haven't like The 1UP Show as much since Kathleen started being featured on a regular basis...

I MISS YOU CHE AND JANE

traveler

Not Wario
sp0rsk said:
At the end there Kathleen really wasn't making much sense. I can't remember exactly what she said but I remember my reaction being, "What on earth are you talking about?"

I think she was saying Microsoft was doing the best at bridging the casual and hardcore or whatever, something like that.

That was pretty crazy. You can tell they are beginning to care, but Sony and Nintendo (Nintendo WAY moreso than Sony) are doing a much better job. The look on Shane's face was a perfect representation of my own.

Edit: Sorry for both the bluntness and the ignorance, but, Red Furlong, who are you? I thought I knew all the 1up editors' GAF names. (MWAHAHAHAHA!)

Edit2: Soup analogy is pretty dead on sporsk, althought I feel that MS caters to the hardcore better than Sony and Nintendo caters to the casual better than Sony, so, while they have the range, they aren't as good as the "specializers."

sprsk

Rambling again, but I think it may be time that we seperate the non-gamers from the casuals.

I think the millions of casual gamers who buy stuff like Spiderman and Madden are totally different people than the ones Nintendo is trying to grab at. We can call them the late gamers or something.

traveler

Not Wario
sp0rsk said:
Rambling again, but I think it may be time that we seperate the non-gamers from the casuals.

I think the millions of casual gamers who buy stuff like Spiderman and Madden are totally different people than the ones Nintendo is trying to grab at. We can call them the late gamers or something.

I agree there is a difference between the Wii Sports mom or grandpa and the always-played-them-but-never-got-into-them Madden/GTA/Halo player. The latter "casual player" will probably still be more inclined to head with the 360 or PS3 (moreso 360 though, thanks to price, GTA content, football game quality, and Halo) while the former "new gamer lite" (TM) will choose the Wii.

Top Bottom