• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2013 [Up2: 360/3DS Hardware, AC/LM/DK Digital + Retail]

EDarkness

Just in case it wasn't clear and you aren't playing along, I was facetiously referring to it beating Game & Wario.

One has to wonder why Nintendo would think that Game & Warrio would do anything in North America. Not saying it shouldn't have been made, but it's a filler game that should have been a downloadable only title. It had "bomb at retail" written all over it.

Would love to see a postmortem done on Fuse like the recent one about GoW:Ascension. Just seemed so much wrong about the game from the concept to the cover and I'm wondering what the hell Insomniac were thinking. Would it have done better as the less serious Overstrike though?

Sorry to go off topic here, but what GoW: Ascension postmortem? Link? Very interested.

So many numbers in this thread...

1. 3DS - 225K
2. 360 - 140K
3. PS3 - 108K
4. DS - 54K
4. Wii - 53K
5. Wii U - 42K
6. Vita - 27K
7. Ouya - 13-19K (probably closer to 13K)
8. PSP - 8K
9. PSP Go - 34

The only console missing this month is PS2.

Everyone did a wonderful job this month on number leaks. This has been a fantastic NPD thread. :-D

Only downside was AZ Greg giving us false information. :-(

We got Ouya numbers? I wish I could go back and find my many posts predicting that it was going to bomb, and why it bombing was going to confuse the hell out of so many analysts who predicted it being the next big thing.

People don't buy Android devices for the games. They buy the games (or pirate them shamelessly) because they happen to be on their sleek Android phones and tablets. The Ouya has worse hardware than 2012 high-end phones, and it...isn't a phone. No one asked for this.

September 2012

I don't believe the Ouya will be any more popular than any other Android powered device. It will sell 10 million then fall into obscurity as it's replaced by newer hardware a year later.

Shouldn't the real question be "can the Ouya outsell the Galaxy S3 or Nexus 7"? The answer would still be no, but it's the more appropriate question.

May 2013

It's an android device with worse hardware than any modern Samsung phone and it's not portable.

There is no business model, it's going to crater.

I don't think anyone in the industry understands why the Ouya is going to flop. And that's frightening.

July 2012

Sho_Nuff82 said:
What the fuck people?

We got Ouya numbers? I wish I could go back and find my many posts predicting that it was going to bomb, and why it bombing was going to confuse the hell out of so many analysts who predicted it being the next big thing.

People don't buy Android devices for the games. They buy the games (or pirate them shamelessly) because they happen to be on their sleek Android phones and tablets. The Ouya has worse hardware than 2012 high-end phones, and it...isn't a phone. No one asked for this.

Also, since the Wii U gets picked on for its bad name, what the hell kind of name is Ouya for a system? It sounds like a name for an old witch or banshee, and 99% of people probably don't even know how to pronounce it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

1. 3DS - 225K
2. 360 - 140K
3. PS3 - 108K
4. DS - 54K
4. Wii - 53K
5. Wii U - 42K
6. Vita - 27K
8. PSP - 8K
9. PSP Go - 34

Everyone did a wonderful job this month on number leaks. This has been a fantastic NPD thread. :-D

This has been an uncharacteristically informative NPD. Not complaining, just didn't expect it. I guess the chains have been taken off?

Now i feel like im being greedy but the lack of software numbers for more games sucks

This has been an uncharacteristically informative NPD. Not complaining, just didn't expect it. I guess the chains have been taken off?

Hopefully

onipex

Now that Sony's brand seems to be on the rise with excitement over PS4 how well did PS3 sell in this npd? Anyone figure it out?

I wouldn't go that far. There is excitement over PS4 but I don't see it carrying over to the PS3 or Vita. Same is always true for Nintendo too.

onipex

1. 3DS - 225K
2. 360 - 140K
3. PS3 - 108K
4. DS - 54K
4. Wii - 53K
5. Wii U - 42K
6. Vita - 27K
8. PSP - 8K
9. PSP Go - 34

Thanks for this post. Not sure why everyone always believes AZ.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't know, for a joke platform that had to ship 60K units to backers, 13-17K seems pretty good.

While probably not a real competitor for next-gen given what it does, I think it shines some rays of hope on Google's rumored box.

Madouu

The Last of us is pulling some December number right in the middle of June. Quite the enormous success this game has been.

AC is about where I expected it to be and did great numbers. It should sell pretty well on the long term too. Instant impact on hardware was very significant but I suspect it won't be long lasting. Still, if 3ds can get to 40k/week next month, then that would be pretty good.

Dedicated handheld market has shrunk a great deal compared to DS/PSP times, I'm surprised people are still shocked by this. But let's not forget that the DS had hugely expanded that same market too. We're still relatively far from the GBA times but that was with a way cheaper product and what I suspect to have been a smaller tie-in ratio along with no eshop revenue.

I don't know, for a joke platform that had to ship 60K units to backers, 13-17K seems pretty good.

Doesn't seem too bad but they've falling victims to the high expectations everybody has for them due to the way it was announced, shown and all the press surrounding it.

Forkball

c1afO.gif

Animal Crossing deserves every sale it gets. If you've never played any of them, New Leaf is a perfect entry point.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Do you have a citation for the lower bound? A couple weeks ago it was mentioned that the highest title in the US after NSMBU was at around 150k:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=68930271&highlight=#post68930271

It is pretty unlikely that any of those three are at 200k, and maybe not all of them are over 100k?

I was talking about for all platforms idlewild, not just for WiiU. That's just pure guessing honestly. We just know the numbers for #7 and #2, and I expect Minecraft to be above the other 3.

I-hate-u

Wasn't Bioshock the biggest seller in March with 878k? So if the ~ 1 million numbers for TLOU are true, does that mean The Last of Us had the strongest debut month sales in 2013?

Hmm, like shinra said looking at the rest of june it seems the 3DS momentum evaporated after AC week. It'll probably still do decent numbers with Dream Team next month, although i think any hopes of the weekly staying flat is gone. Still not so sure a price drop wouldn't help but proitability is the key

donny2112

Still not so sure a price drop wouldn't help but proitability is the key

A price drop would surely help sell units, but that's not really Nintendo's first priority, as you said. Especially in the handheld arena, it's not like they have a competing system breathing down their necks like PSP was to DS in 2005. There's really no foreseeable way they could get to 100B Yen profit on the back of Wii U, so 3DS would have to be carrying most of that goal on its back. To do that, they need to maximize profit on the 3DS side, so a price drop doesn't really fit there. Price drop for 3DS April 1, 2014?

Madouu

Price drop for 3DS April 1, 2014?

Pretty much... no way there's a price drop before that. There should be better bundles and overall better marketing during the holidays though. Last one wasn't very good.

New model, price drop on XL and original 3ds after march is probably the safest route to go.

DS will never reach PS2 numbers.

Only because nintendo ended production

Edit: And yes there definitely needs to fucking be new xl colors and better bundles this year. Im horrified that nintendo said they were focusing on 3ds last holiday because 3ds had a shit holiday last year. A pokemon black friday bundle would have people in line early. Nintendo has so much to work with this year software wise. 3ds is an exciting platform to watch, the complete opposite of wiiu.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Unfortunately, we don't know how much the platform sold the week before Crossing came out, that's the biggest culript over here. At least, Nintendo said the game is still selling "strongly" in July, according to their internal tracker, this should help next month.

If PxZ is really just under 50k, in its first 11 days, that seems great to me. Especially considering digital sales aren't counted (the game is 34.99 instead of 39.99 on eShop)

Game Guru

While probably not a real competitor for next-gen given what it does, I think it shines some rays of hope on Google's rumored box.

Very good, if you consider the fact that it sold only around half as much as the Wii U and Vita did this first month. The joke console actually being a contender is not a good sign for either system.

Unfortunately, we don't know how much the platform sold the week before Crossing came out, that's the biggest culript over here. At least, Nintendo said the game is still selling "strongly" in July, according to their internal tracker, this should help next month.

If PxZ is really just under 50k, in its first 11 days, that seems great to me. Especially considering digital sales aren't counted (the game is 34.99 instead of 39.99 on eShop)

Yeah i hope japanese 3rd parties see this resurgence and comitt to more mid tier games more specifically square and capcom

985K for TLoU? Holy shit, I would never have thought that ND would hit that number especially when we first heard of the delay and the new release date. I guess releasing just after E3 was genious.
Also, it being number 1 on Junes PSN sales chart definitely leads me to believe that it sold over 1 million.
Congrats ND!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
DS is behind by about one or two (maybe three) million at this point, no? It's reached it, but it's having trouble passing it.

I think its only a million, but with Nintendo stopping DS production now I doubt it will surpass the ps2.

edit:
ps2: 155 million, nov '00 - mar '12
ds: 153.87 million, nov '04 - mar '13

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

woah yah. DS sold nearly as much in a shorter time frame.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wasn't Bioshock the biggest seller in March with 878k? So if the ~ 1 million numbers for TLOU are true, does that mean The Last of Us had the strongest debut month sales in 2013?

Yes, 985K would be the biggest debut of the first half, with Injustice and BioShock Infinite being the only entries in the 800-900K band.

Honestly I feel it's a huge success for Sony. These aren't good end-of-generation sales, they're just straight up good sales. It's also a great validation for Naughty Dog that what they do is the core driver of their sales, and not some series of happenstance, aggressive bundling, and good timing.

This would also be the first new IP Sony has managed to launch in a major way since God of War, and is a healthy sign for them going into the PS4 where they will want to try to majorly grow a lot of brands and launch multiple new IPs in a notable way in fast succession.

TLOU along with Injustice and Luigi's Mansion would be my runaway success stories of the first half relative to expectations.

Yes, 945K would be the biggest debut of the first half, with Injustice and BioShock Infinite within ~100K.

Honestly I feel it's a huge success for Sony. These aren't good end-of-generation sales, they're just straight up good sales. It's also a great validation for Naughty Dog that what they do is the core driver of their sales, and not some series of happenstance, aggressive bundling, and good timing.

This would also be the first new IP Sony has managed to launch in a major way since God of War, and is a healthy sign for them going into the PS4 where they will want to try to majorly grow a lot of brands and launch multiple new IPs in a notable way in fast succession.

TLOU along with Injustice and Luigi's Mansion would be my runaway success stories of the first half relative to expectations.

I would say 3ds in general 1st party software was just an amazing success.
Fire Emblem beat my wildest expectations and did anyone expect AC to be a possible 10 million seller again WW? And of course luigi's mansion. I feel like the 3DS is exactly where nintendo wants to be at as a company. Great sales for their B franchises but able to sell blockbusters too along with middling dev costs and a quickly growing digital ecosystem. And in the same way if nintendo could stick with the 3ds forever they would.

In contrast the wiiu is expensive in every way, no 3rd party support because consoles dont matter in japan and nintendo seems like they just want to make 3ds level productions because outside of x their wiiu games dont seem particulary ambitious.

Um, maybe I don't get it...

but why are the insider leaks so...cryptic?
And posted in small bits with ineqality expressions.

There's a reason they are leaks

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would say 3ds in general 1st party software was just an amazing success.
Fire Emblem beat my wildest expectations and did anyone expect AC to be a possible 10 million seller again WW? And of course luigi's mansion. I feel like the 3DS is exactly where nintendo wants to be at as a company. Great sales for their B franchises but able to sell blockbusters too along with middling dev costs and a quickly growing digital ecosystem.
IMO 550K and third biggest debut behind MS3DL/MK7 is about what you would expect out of Animal Crossing given how well it did last generation and how well it was doing in Japan.

Fire Emblem is a strong performer for being Fire Emblem, but I feel "actually really large numbers" is kind of important for runaway success.

But yes, I think the 3DS' general overperformance (year over year wise) in first party software is well reflected by the 45% YoY increase in hardware sales this month.

Um, maybe I don't get it...

but why are the insider leaks so...cryptic?
And posted in small bits with ineqality expressions.

I think NPD gives out numbers to subscribers with slight variations. Anyone who just copy/pastes the real numbers will be exposing their true identity. Giving a range is just vague enough to stay anonymous.

IMO 550K and third biggest debut behind MS3DL/MK7 is about what you would expect out of Animal Crossing given how well it did last generation and how well it was doing in Japan.

Fire Emblem is a strong performer for being Fire Emblem, but I feel "actually really large numbers" is kind of important for runaway success.

But yes, I think the 3DS' general overperformance (year over year wise) in first party software is well reflected by the 45% YoY increase in hardware sales.

Yes, but i think many including me attributed AC's huge success to the touch generations market but it seems it is sticking around as a legitimate huge franchise for them now.

But its funny to look at how terrible they did last year in the first half with Kid Icarus and that overpriced fatal frame thing.

I still believe nintendo has to find new ip like animal crossing or even luigi's mansion and capitalize on that. Right now as a fan of nintendo's games the 3DS satisfies all the needs i have and the wiiu is unappealing. And i think its because nintendo is not justifying their console library very well. Before when its the gamecube vs gba i would have never been satisfied with the gba only because the productions seemed so much higher with the gamecube.

I think NPD gives out numbers to subscribers with slight variations. Anyone who just copy/pastes the real numbers will be exposing their true identity. Giving a range is just vague enough to stay anonymous.

I'm certain this is the reason. If there was a 100% guarantee all data was identical across all clients, no leakers would ever post ranges.

Top Bottom