• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Postmortem - Sony Santa Monica's God of War: Ascension

Sid

In this postmortem from the final issue of Game Developer magazine, Sony Santa Monica senior producer Whitney Wade and director of internal development Chacko Sonny discuss bringing multiplayer to the God of War experience. (The complete issue is available as a free download here.)

God of War: Ascension is the fourth mainline installment in the award-winning God of War series. Development started almost immediately after the completion of God of War III, and we set out to exceed the achievements of the prior game -- deliver something bigger, better, and more awe-inspiring while adding something new to the franchise. Ultimately, the product succeeded on many fronts, establishing a strong multiplayer game within the franchise, but fell slightly short of the near-universal critical acclaim for God of War III.

Over the course of development, we faced a number of unique challenges, but we managed to take advantage of the Santa Monica Studios team's key strengths to complete the project on time, within budget, and to our quality standards. This postmortem reflects some of the things that went right, some of the things that went wrong, and the key lessons we learned over the course of building this game.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/193695/postmortem__sony_santa_monicas_.php
Shows how adding MP in a SP centric franchise like God of War sacrificed the quality of the SP

My personal postmortem?

It REALLY highlighted why they need to ditch Kratos and Greek Mythology.

Game wore out its welcome halfway in for me.

Iceblade

The game had absolutely horrible combat, trying to replicate the Arkham games but expecting you to have superhuman reflexes in doing so.

fardeenah

Banned
single player sucked.... being such a gow fan, its such a shame, the game story sucked so bad was almost non existant

Gorillaz

Honestly I just wanted them to do Egyptain mythology after 3

At this point tho I think I'm just burned out and tired of the IP

Dremark

Banned
I didn't know they started working on it right after 3. It's wierd how it was in development for so long but seemed to have very little hype when it came out.

firen

After passing
trial of archimedes
I really appreciated and enjoyed the combat a whole lot more! Up until then I didn't really like the whole blocking or extra item powers. That being said, it came way to late in the game. Regardless, I very much enjoyed GOW:A but it didn't leave me with the same feeling that beating the previous three did.

I think everyone agrees that they should never come back to Kratos and Greek mythology again and start building a new franchise, and/or reboot GoW in a different setting.

My personal postmortem?

They can keep Kratos but, yes, it's time leave the Greek mythology behind. If they don't know what to do after the event of God of War III, they could still make another "prequel" where Kratos is Greek's Gods champion versus other Mythologies' champions in a "War of Gods" fashion. Or another Mythology trying to take over and to take down Kratos, the last remnant of the Greek pantheon.

Sid

After passing
trial of archimedes
I really appreciated and enjoyed the combat a whole lot more! Up until then I didn't really like the whole blocking or extra item powers. That being said, it came way to late in the game. Regardless, I very much enjoyed GOW:A but it didn't leave me with the same feeling that beating the previous three did.

Great combat, great visuals. Rough sound, and the worst story in the franchise.
The combat is the worst in the franchise.To explain why:-
-Rage meter
-Goatmen
-Parry system

In this specific instance.
Was that true for Uncharted 2?
No but I was referring to this game.I'll just edit the OP to make it clearer.

I-hate-u

It seems that they did what to do after GOW3 until very late into their pre-production phase which screams to me uncertainty in the franchise.

Santa Monica, if you are reading this, you did a good job with GOW:A, but do not go fourth with Kratos. Its time to build a brand new character in a brand new mythology. Kratos's story has finished. Refresh the franchise.

This series has worn out its welcome by being stagnant. Kratos is such a static character; they really need a more compelling character for us to play as. Reboot the series with Norse or Egyptian mythology.

Time to move onto Roman Gods and finally Norse Gods. Three game arc for each.
Norse is the worse Mythology to go after if people want something new. Every fantasy based game is more or less based on or inspired by Norse mythology which makes it over represented in video games. Santa Monica should try something more "unique".

pa22word

I actually think that might be a really subversive and cool situation if they played their cards right. They could essentially do a BioShock Infinite style multiverse thing with it and essentially reboot the series without rebooting it.

I mean the possibilities alone with playing around with peoples expectations would be really awesome.

Rootbeer

Banned
No more Kratos! For the love of all things good (and evil)!

Anyone familiar with Virgin Comics (later Liquid Comics)? It was a superhero universe that derived heavily on Indian and other Asian mythologies. While it didn't last long (launching an all-new comics universe in the west is incredibly brutal), it has some great, fresh takes on the whole gods-among-men type of stories.

I want GoW to relaunch in an eastern-mythology based universe. The games are a lot of fun to play but greek and roman mythology is so very tired at this point.

zoukka

This series has worn out its welcome by being stagnant. Kratos is such a static character; they really need a more compelling character for us to play as. Reboot the series with Norse or Egyptian mythology.

Kratos was fine in the first game. He was silly and nobody thought of taking the story seriously. It felt tongue in cheek.

And then the sequels happened.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My personal postmortem?

I played through the game with a mate, but, yeah, it just wasn't particularly interesting or engaging -- an aura of "been there, done that" permeates the entire campaign. As I've said in other GoW-related threads, the series needs to switch mythologies to grab my attention again.

Drencrom

Just reboot the franchise SSM, sick and tired of greek mythology. The core game needs substantial changes to keep it interesting too, the GoW formula is safe and boring by now.

Also, Norse mythology! I know you want to do Ragnarök on PS4

Time for Egyptian mythology SSM.

anubis__b_by_genzoman-d31kczh.jpg

omonimo

Banned
As someone who is a huge GoW fan and hasn't touched the MP because I don't have the time to truly dedicate myself to a competitive game, it's disappointing to know that the campaign suffered because of it.
Even though the main character and setting are clearly overused at this point, I saw potential in the Fury plot and the art direction which is indeed beautiful and much more pleasing to the eyes than Gow3's.
The problem is that nothing happens in terms of plot, it's completely irrelevant to the saga's storyline.
As for the game itself, it feels like they completely blew their load on the first and last boss. GoW3, like the previous games, had several epic confrontations throughout the game, the first fight is obviously a highlight but you also have
Hades, Hercules and Cronos
, which are all amazing in their own way.
Ascension has more bosses of course but they are human sized and completely forgettable.
Some of the locations you visit are among the most beautiful in the series and the scale is absolutely amazing and this to me was the strongest aspect of the game.
There is an obvious lack of polish which is really surprising and disappointing for a GoW game. Sound issues in particular plague the game to this day.
The time manipulation was a nice addition but I feel it wasn't used to its full potential for puzzles.

It's a solid game and would've blown people away if GoW3 hadn't come before it but they should've moved out of 3's shadow by doing something different and MP sure as hell wasn't the answer to that.
Everyone agreed that it would've been a waste to only use that amazing engine for one game but it ended up being one GoW too many.
The fact that they already had the tech in place and still struggled to complete the game even though they had the same time they had for GoW3 tells us all we need to know about the impact MP had on the quality of the campaign, these quotes confirm it without a doubt:

During that time, the single-player game got very little senior leadership attention. By the time we refocused onto single-player and toward our big single-player E3 debut, we ended up playing catch up.

We juggled this way through the entire project, which also resulted in slower decision-making than desired on most everything.

What I find surprising is that ND were allowed to come up with something new to avoid frustrating their members with non-stop uncharted sequel production but SSM just keep churning out GoWs.
We know they are working on a new IP for the PS4 but the Ascension team should've been allowed to pursue something fresh as well. Then they could make another GoW for PS4 and it would feel fresh because of the possibilities of the new hardware and the amount of time that would have passed.
Now I don't think I can even get excited for a PS4 GoW, the franchise fatigue is too big.

Edit: Ascension tells us that Egyptian mythology co-exists with the GoW universe, why didn't they explore that in this game instead of dropping a note on a dead NPC and make us go "OK...?"

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Development started almost immediately after the completion of God of War III, and we set out to exceed the achievements of the prior game -- deliver something bigger, better, and more awe-inspiring while adding something new to the franchise

Well they totally failed that challenge. There's nowhere left to go with Kratos or his world, ditch it already and use a different mythology.

sohois

Norse and Egyptian gods are pretty tired at this point, even considering how few 'mythology' based games we get; there are many other great mythologies which have never really been explored.

Why not Hindu mythology, or Aztec?

The game was okay, but I am passed tired of Kratos.

Actually, they could have just released the final battle as DLC and I would have rated it the same. Last battle looked spectacular, but the rest suffered from a severe lack of ambition.

No more God of War!

I'm in the keep kratos but move to different mythology, We are all set up in tents outside the Entirely new character and mythology town.

That said, Damn GoW ascension really felt like they tried to evolve the series in the wrong direction.

sub_o

I wanna see them portray mythologies from other cultures ! What about egyptian gods, or indian gods, or native americans !

That will be refreshing. Imagine Hanuman battling against Amun !

Move on to a new character and a new Setting. Kratos hasn't grown as a character since the first game. He is really just a terrible character and a new setting won't change him

A fresh start will help the IP immensely

Robot Pants

Combat wasnt great. The story is basically non-existent.
MP is worth your time for about two matches.

Very disappointed in the game. Looked amazing though.

zoukka

Let SSM do something new. There's only so much to be gained trying to 1up the ridiculous set pieces of GoW3. The core gameplay is showing some big signs of fatigue. Just replacing the enemies won't be a big enough of a difference.

I liked the combat in Ascension. No more easy GoW3 style parries, rage meter encouraged you to not get hit, and you can't grab spam or stunlock juggle every enemy you come across.

CTLance

I was never a fan, but if this really leads to a new universe, can we please get a protagonist that I can sympathise with at least on some rudimentary level? Post-GOW1 Kratos is just a raging cunt, and that completely drove me away from the franchise.

Top Bottom