• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week japanese magazines news

rakka

161fs688641.jpg

4pa258z.jpg

fixed ^_^

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Sharp said:
Why the hell does the DS game look better.

I think it has to do with the fact that the DS game is close to completion compared to a game that wont be out for another year AT THE EARLIEST.

ethelred

Hcoregamer00 said:
I think it has to do with the fact that the DS game is close to completion compared to a game that wont be out for another year AT THE EARLIEST.

Spring 2008 is that far away? I didn't realize...

I also kinda doubt the game will look that much better by the time it does come out. And if you need to use the "early screens" excuse to justify why a Wii game looks worse than a ****ing DS game, something's pretty wrong.

Tristam

Hcoregamer00 said:

It's hard to defend the game's graphics based on its life cycle when they could've easily just reused the assets of the original Symphonia game.

EDIT: And I didn't even realize it till ethelred pointed it out: spring 2008? Ack!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Hcoregamer00 said:
I thought it was early 08, not 08 at the earliest.

sphinx

the piano man
why the **** are people stuck with the ToS2 piece of crap scan? yes, looks terrible can we move on and comment what we are all going to do once we submerge ourselves in the blue waters of "ENDLESS OCEAN" ?

AltogetherAndrews said:
Forever Blue sounds ****ing brilliant. :(
Then why the sad face?

I hope we get some hands-on impressions by GAFers soon, Famitsu reviews mean next to nothing. For all we know it could outright suck or be even better than the scores suggest.

The accompanying text makes it sound absolutely awesome though.

Hcoregamer00

sphinx said:
why the **** are people stuck with the ToS2 piece of crap scan? yes, looks terrible can we move on and comment what we are all going to do once we submerge ourselves in the blue waters of "ENDLESS OCEAN" ?

What can I say, the game looks great but will it live up to the hype?

Famitsu scores say yes, but famitsu says a lot of crap.

ethelred said:
Spring 2008 is that far away? I didn't realize...

I also kinda doubt the game will look that much better by the time it does come out. And if you need to use the "early screens" excuse to justify why a Wii game looks worse than a ****ing DS game, something's pretty wrong.

As I said, comparing a game near completion to a game that is mid production is not good. The games graphics look terrible, but hopefully they are improving it for the final release. At the very least it is on the level of Tales of the Abyss.

ethelred

Tristam said:
It's hard to defend the game's graphics based on its life cycle when they could've easily just reused the assets of the original Symphonia game.

Right, exactly. There's no excuse for it looking this much worse than Symphonia. Spinoff game or not, the game should at least look comparable to that. It wouldn't have been expensive, even, to just reuse massive amounts of what went into Tales of Symphonia -- reuse would be better than putting out software that looks drastically worse.

sphinx said:

Well, because this is the Famitsu News thread, not the Endless Ocean thread. No one here puts any stock in Famitsu's worthless reviews, so until some GAFers have the game in their hands and can deliver some impressions, there's nothing to discuss.

What we can discuss, and what the thread would lend itself to, is the news in the thread and the scans that get provided of the magazine. If that's not to your liking, oh well.

Jonnyram said:
Forever Blue
- feels a little like a simulation, exploring areas gradually
- clever production sucks you in totally
- with the change of camera view, you can get lost at sea (pun?)
- you can explore the aquatic life as much as you want or you can go looking for events
- there's lots of stuff you can do, play at your own pace
- production is great, you can feel the mystery and magnificence of the ocean
- thanks to the effects of the mysterious music, the game feels very real

makes me want it more.

sphinx

the piano man
Hcoregamer00 said:
What can I say, the game looks great but will it live up to the hype?

Famitsu scores say yes, but famitsu says a lot of crap.

famitsu does not give 10's easily.

and why would they give an "arika" game 9s or 10s? what interest can have famitsu in helping this game? Nintendogs was miyamoto's brand new creation back when it got a perfect 40 score, it was first party, and it was "THE" game that would crush the competition ( which ultimately did) money hats must have been rampant back then, but with " endless ocean" ?? what can endless ocean hope to achieve?

we all know this game was not going to get anything higher than 8 on the best case scenario, on ANY publication.

isn't that pretty telling?

Hcoregamer00

sphinx said:

and why would they give an "arika" game 9s or 10s? what interest can have famitsu in helping this game? Nintendogs was miyamoto's brand new creation back when it got a perfect 40 score, it was first party, and it was "THE" game that would crush the competition ( which ultimately did) money hats must have been rampant back then, but with " endless ocean" ?? what can endless ocean hope to achieve?

we all know this game was not going to get anything higher than 8 on the best case scenario, on ANY publication.

I don't know, Endless Ocean if marketed right could be a massive success. It also has a lot of casual appeal and could appeal to the Wii Sports and Wii Play market. In that instance I think they have a lot to gain from positive reviews.

Tristam

sphinx said:

Since it's Famitsu, no. I don't disagree with you: I think Endless Ocean looks pretty nifty, and I'm usually not interested in these types of games. But we can't support Famitsu when its scores match our hype and dismiss it when the opposite occurs.

sphinx

the piano man
ethelred said:
Well, because this is the Famitsu News thread, not the Endless Ocean thread. No one here puts any stock in Famitsu's worthless reviews, so until some GAFers have the game in their hands and can deliver some impressions, there's nothing to discuss.

What we can discuss, and what the thread would lend itself to, is the news in the thread and the scans that get provided of the magazine. If that's not to your liking, oh well.

So you are telling me that because reviews are supposedly worthless, we should all refrain from commenting about them or getting hyped about them or anything, and devote ourselves to talk about a crappy piece of scans which MAY NOT reflect the actual appearance of the game in question?

I believe more in what jonnyram translated than in a scan.

Rufus

Jonnyram said:
Forever Blue
- feels a little like a simulation, exploring areas gradually
- clever production sucks you in totally
- with the change of camera view, you can get lost at sea (pun?)
- you can explore the aquatic life as much as you want or you can go looking for events
- there's lots of stuff you can do, play at your own pace
- production is great, you can feel the mystery and magnificence of the ocean
- thanks to the effects of the mysterious music, the game feels very real
Sounds like it could be a nice experience, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will get insufferably boring in a relatively short amount of time. Sure looks pretty though.

ethelred

sphinx said:
So you are telling me that because reviews are supposedly worthless, we should all refrain from commenting about them or getting hyped about them or anything, and devote ourselves to talk about a crappy piece of scans which MAY NOT reflect the actual appearance of the game in question?

All Jonnyram translated was the Famitsu review. :lol And yes, I'm not going to go by that for anything.

Meanwhile, the Tales of Symphonia scan absolutely does reflect the actual appearance of the game in question, as we've seen direct screens and they're, what do you know, just as bad.

Tristam

sphinx said:

To be fair to Famitsu, the scans probably look slightly better than the direct feed screens.

sphinx

the piano man
Tristam said:
Since it's Famitsu, no. I don't disagree with you: I think Endless Ocean looks pretty nifty, and I'm usually not interested in these types of games. But we can't support Famitsu when its scores match our hype and dismiss it when the opposite occurs.

I am well aware of famitsu's procedures in their reviews and I am not trying to make it seem like EO is game of the year material or something outrageous. I also know reviews are very subjective and depend on the kind of gamer playing the game in question but like I said before, the game shouldn't have gotten more than 8, on typical circumstances.

why it gets a 10 or a 9? nobody knows. It may turn out ot be a " Donahoe Hotel Dusk: 10 " fiasco or not but all I know is that the famitsu comments about blue ocean are very encouraging, regardless of famitsu's reputation as reviewers.

sphinx

the piano man
ethelred said:
Meanwhile, the Tales of Symphonia scan absolutely does reflect the actual appearance of the game in question, as we've seen direct screens and they're, what do you know, just as bad.

Tristam said:
To be fair to Famitsu, the scans probably look slightly better than the direct feed screens.

I am not arguing that the game looks bad. It's HORRID, I have eyes and they BLEED when they look at that scan. However, getting comments from a quartet of guys about a FINISHED game, that is about to go to retail interest me far more than a scan showing a game that is far from completion.

that's just me, I know GAF likes to concentrate on stuff worth whining and complaining for ( Too Human, Halo 3, NiGHTS, Lair, etc. )

Tristam

sphinx said:
I am not arguing that the game looks bad. It's HORRID, I have eyes and they BLEED when they look at that scan. However, getting comments from a quartet of guys about a FINISHED game, that is about to go to retail interest me far more than a scan showing a game that is far from completion.

that's just me, I know GAF likes to concentrate on stuff worth whining and complaining for ( Too Human, Halo 3, NiGHTS, Lair, etc. )

It may not interest you, but it's no less worthy of discussion and isn't exempt from ridicule.

ziran

Interesting to see Forever Blue score so highly, it's sound great.

I loved Nintendogs, and this sounds similar, I'm really looking forward to it! :D

TSA said:
Where's the additional info to Famitsu.com's report last week about this:
http://www.zentendo.com/news.php?newsId=128
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/07/18/103,1184760493,75448,0,0.html

I want more info about Team Nintendo versus Team Famitsu in Zelda.
The Hylia works fine, but I've never been able to open Zentendo. Is the site up and running?

Eh...can someone translate the ToS scan to know the developer (if they say it that is, which I doubt anyway)?

Then about its graphics, er..., I don't really see how they are to completely change it (looking at some posts) if its going to be released in spring (which probably means March so its inside this FY). Actually, these games usually don't improve at all, they will just show some other portions (towns, characters) in following scans, and scans usually help the games look better than they do, thanks to reduced resolution and free AA.

Towns look just like the ToS ones, sure they are the same but they even seem to use the same camera so its going to be nostalgia trip through them, I don't like point-and-click worldmaps but I don't like crappy worldmaps either, and thats what we get with Tales ones.

Now the battles doesn't really remind me of ToS, it looks like ToA (just lifeless, empty and zero effort in everything). Alfa System has been using ToA engine so maybe they are behind it. It doesn't really look like a main tales team could be behind this game, really.

Bo130

Has these been mentioned?

Minna no Golf 5 [Everybody's Golf 5] (PS3, Sony): 9 / 9 / 9 / 8 - (36/40)
J-League Winning Eleven 2007 Club Championship (PS2, Konami): 8 / 9 / 9 / 8 - (34/40)
Forever Blue [Endless Ocean] (Wii, Nintendo): 10 / 8 / 9 / 8 - (35/40)
Konchuu Wars (NDS, Success): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
Remy no Oishii Restaurant [Ratatouille] (NDS, THQ): 5 / 6 / 6 / 5 - (22/40)
Slide Adventure: Mag Kid (NDS, Nintendo): 7 / 7 / 7 / 8 - (29/40)
Zettai Onkan Master (NDS, Hudson): 8 / 7 / 8 / 8 - (31/40)
Remy no Oishii Restaurant [Ratatouille] (PS2, THQ): 5 / 6 / 6 / 6 - (23/40)
Harry Potter to Fushichou no Kishidan (Wii, EA): 4 / 6 / 5 / 5 - (20/40)

There is the 2007 first half top100 chart on last Famitsu issue, can some one make a big scan of the pages? I will translate by myself, it's not a problem.
If there is problem about host the pictures (due to big size), just send me a PM and i will give you my email.
Thanks in advance.

or if someone is really a good and generous guy and make a topic with all data i will not get angry :D

Kreed

For those of you putting up comparison shots, you should find shots of that town in the scans, as that town is also in Tales of Symphonia (Luin?).

I'm still waiting for a video of Tales of Symphonia 2 to confirm it, but the game really needs improvements to even be on par with the original Tales of Symphonia.

Top Bottom