• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week japanese magazines news

161fs688641.jpg

5zel5ki.jpg

4pa258z.jpg

4pa258zbloom.jpg

4pa258zbloomcolor.jpg

Next-gen am here! Let's try with another Wii game :lol

SantaC

What if ToS wii is in fact a Tales of the World game? :(

And people are overreacting like hell about ToS Wii's graphics. It's the scans that are shitty. We saw at Namco's presentation where it looked a lot better.

tales22.jpg

SantaC said:
It is a Tales of the World styled game. Similar to Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon. They may not be called Tales of the World, but they belong to that grouping.

I wonder when others would notice and not treat it like a Tales of Symphonia 2? That would be comparing it to something like Tales of Destiny 2 which was an actual Tales game with all the money, care and effort put into it.

This is not ToS2, people, it's not even called ToS2! It doesn't even have a logo yet. :lol

SantaC

Magicpaint said:
It is a Tales of the World styled game. Similar to Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon. They may not be called Tales of the World, but they belong to that grouping.

I wonder when others would notice and not treat it like a Tales of Symphonia 2? That would be comparing it to something like Tales of Destiny 2 which was an actual Tales game with all the money, care and effort put into it.

This is not ToS2, people, it's not even called ToS2! It doesn't even have a logo yet. :lol

Well yea it sucks. Will it even make it to the west then? namco just had to get our hopes up like that

SantaC said:
Well yea it sucks. Will it even make it to the west then? namco just had to get our hopes up like that
Well if Radiant Mythology managed to come to the west, I'd say there's a decent chance this might make it. The Symphonia name should help it too, I suppose.

dkeane

Forever Blue sounds great, can't wait to hear some gaffers impressions. The end of October is going to be rough on the wallet with Endless Ocean and Battalion Wars coming out the same day.

jarrod

Banned
rakka said:
Looked a lot better, but still not even GC quality.

Spot shadows ffs...

It deserves all the shit its getting...
Symphonia and Abyss had circle shadows too though. The press shot at least makes the game look Abyss level (seems to be reusing Abyss enemy models actually), but the screen caps make it look more like the PSP dungeon crawl. :/

rakka

jarrod said:
Symphonia and Abyss had circle shadows too though. The press shot at least makes the game look Abyss level (seems to be reusing Abyss enemy models actually), but the screen caps make it look more like the PSP dungeon crawl. :/

Of course they did.

It's not like the tales games are ever graphical showcases...

plenty of dreamcast games looked better :p

Error said:
Forever Blue got 10/8/9/8
holy shit

- Dungeon Explorer PSP
woo!

- Dungeon Maker DS
WOO!

Forever Blue
- feels a little like a simulation, exploring areas gradually
- clever production sucks you in totally
- with the change of camera view, you can get lost at sea (pun?)
- you can explore the aquatic life as much as you want or you can go looking for events
- there's lots of stuff you can do, play at your own pace
- production is great, you can feel the mystery and magnificence of the ocean
- thanks to the effects of the mysterious music, the game feels very real
NOM NOM NOM

And what's with anybody, anybody trolling Forever Blue? We get it: it doesn't have killer submarines and spearguns. Get your console-war shit out of here if you're not interested in the game.

ethelred

Pureauthor said:
I basically asked if it was the same thing earlier. Thanks for confirming it for me.

It's made by the same developer, so yeah.

ivysaur12 said:
I'm going to post this again. Just because it looks better than anything we've seen on the game.

And I hope it's not a Tales of the World game... That would really suck. It already seems like it might not be getting the attention of a true Tales game.

It IS a Tales of the World game, guys; why is everyone having such a hard time accepting that? It uses a point & click map interface, it's clearly not made by the main Tales teams, it's using new and non-Tales-like spinoff mechanics (monster allies)...

Yes, it's continuing the story of Tales of Symphonia -- but Summoner's Lineage did that with Phantasia. And yes, it's got ToS in the name, but so did Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon 1.

It is a Tales of the World game. That doesn't necessarily suck, as you put it, because that's still a worthy series, but people do need to accept that this is what the game is so their expectations aren't out of whack.

ivysaur12

Banned
SantaC said:

And people are overreacting like hell about ToS Wii's graphics. It's the scans that are shitty. We saw at Namco's presentation where it looked a lot better.

tales22.jpg

I'm going to post this again. Just because it looks better than anything we've seen on the game.

And I hope it's not a Tales of the World game... That would really suck. It already seems like it might not be getting the attention of a true Tales game.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
rakka said:
you know, its amazing what bloom lighting and realtime shadows will do to any game. screw the artstyle, i hope b/n is reading this thread so they can implement this. you already dropped cel shading for the crappy PS2 engine, you may as well go all the way with the bloom. i would buy it...

It didn't get any attention in the other thread (well it got mine lol), 1up had this bit about ToS KoR.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161485
In a recent interview with producer Makoto Yoshidumi on Japanese publication Famitsu, he talks about the upcoming sequel. "The reason why we did not name this Tales of Symphonia 2 is because the game concept is quite different from the previous game. Now players will be able to have monsters as party members and can level up together with the main characters." Like Dragon Quest and other RPGs, players can have monsters join their party when meeting certain conditions after completing battles. Monsters will most likely be controlled by AI and simple commands might be included, but the producer is still keeping details under wraps.

Another change from the previous game is that there is no longer a field map. Players will use the Wiimote to point at locations on the map. After selecting, you will then enter into that location, whether it be a city or a dungeon, and this is where you can move and control your character. Knights of Ratatosk takes place in the combined world of Silvalant and Teseara which was recreated at the end of the first game. The game will feature the Linear Motion Battle which has become trademark to the series. Wiimote controls are expected to be in the game although not much has been talked about at this point.

Yoshizumi (typo on 1up) again as producer, but he is in many Tales and doesn't have to be a main Tales Studio behind it, he is Tempest or Narikiri Dungeons producer for example. The info on the quote sound like another kind of spinoff to try to expand the Tales series, certainly this 'ToS2' doesn't look like ToD2. I'm sure they will continue to be purposely ambiguous when they talk it anyway...

Btw, I certainly dislike how Namco tries to imitate (with Tales) what Square-Enix does with Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. Oh they release 1 a month? We too. Oh they re-release old games over and over? We too. Oh they outsource many projects to b-teams? We too. Oh they make spinoffs based on new controls from Wii controller? We too. Oh they go all out speech-wise with handhelds? We too. Come on...

ivysaur12

Banned
ethelred said:
It IS a Tales of the World game, guys; why is everyone having such a hard time accepting that? It uses a point & click map interface, it's clearly not made by the main Tales teams, it's using new and non-Tales-like spinoff mechanics (monster allies)...

Yes, it's continuing the story of Tales of Symphonia -- but Summoner's Lineage did that with Phantasia. And yes, it's got ToS in the name, but so did Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon 1.

It is a Tales of the World game. That doesn't necessarily suck, as you put it, because that's still a worthy series, but people do need to accept that this is what the game is so their expectations aren't out of whack.

I just want a real Tales game on a console :(

Innotech

Banned
I kinda think this might be, like many of the spinoffs, a game started for the wii before it really took off. This has been true for many of the games wii has gotten or announced this year, and I think this level of spinoff shit might soon come to a screeching halt as this console goes nuclear. then again, its nintendo, and third party hates them. But if they want to see some sales, theyre going to have to put in some effort. just because wii development is cheap doesnt mean it has to be sloppy.

Amir0x

Banned
Famitsu LIKED Forever Blue? Maybe I have a revise my opinion that it'll be good... if Famitsu likes it, probably sucks balls.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Famitsu LIKED Forever Blue? Maybe I have a revise my opinion that it'll be good... if Famitsu likes it, probably sucks balls.
Yeah, but if you like it, then it definitely sucks balls.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
AniHawk said:

Did I tell you that you are just awesome :lol

jj984jj said:
Hope Team Symphonia and Team Destiny are working on console games?

Or they could be doing a PSP port of Tales of the Abyss.....dum dum dum.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:

It is a proven fact that anything I like is automatically amazing.

If you disagree, then you only reveal yourself for the fraud you are!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
It didn't get any attention in the other thread (well it got mine lol), 1up had this bit about ToS KoR.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161485

In a recent interview with producer Makoto Yoshidumi on Japanese publication Famitsu, he talks about the upcoming sequel. "The reason why we did not name this Tales of Symphonia 2 is because the game concept is quite different from the previous game. Now players will be able to have monsters as party members and can level up together with the main characters." Like Dragon Quest and other RPGs, players can have monsters join their party when meeting certain conditions after completing battles. Monsters will most likely be controlled by AI and simple commands might be included, but the producer is still keeping details under wraps.

Not cool. I hate when games do this. I want real characters that have an impact on the story not shallow monsters that are completely useless and boring in battles. I really hope they make this actually useful and fun, not some annoying chore to find creatures to capture and then train to be useful.

Top Bottom