• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break screenshots (Remedy, Xbox One) and info

EVIL

I'm hoping we'll see some new gameplay/info at E3.. Better yet, they could release a trailer/info prior to E3..

I'm not familiar with Alan Wake, but did Remedy Entertainment release many details/trailers shortly after they announced Alan Wake? Did they release much info in regards to Alan Wake at all? Or are they similar to Rockstar where they like to keep people in the dark and go crazy..?
The first trailer was from 2005 E3, after that there was quite allot of silence except for the e3's, I believe each e3 got a trailer, but only since 2009 did we get any actual gameplay demo

derFeef

I'm hoping we'll see some new gameplay/info at E3.. Better yet, they could release a trailer/info prior to E3..

I'm not familiar with Alan Wake, but did Remedy Entertainment release many details/trailers shortly after they announced Alan Wake? Did they release much info in regards to Alan Wake at all? Or are they similar to Rockstar where they like to keep people in the dark and go crazy..?

We will. Sam Lake is at E3 and here is hoping for a kick ass stage demo.

spectros4

Neo Member
I read that Microsoft is fully funding Remedy for the development of Quantum Break.
Did Microsoft also fully fund the development of Alan Wake, and does Remedy actually own the Alan Wake IP?

Zweisy1

I read that Microsoft is fully funding Remedy for the development of Quantum Break.
Did Microsoft also fully fund the development of Alan Wake, and does Remedy actually own the Alan Wake IP?

Remedy fully owns the Alan Wake IP. They also bankrolled the early development of Alan Wake themselves with the money they got from selling Max Payne to Take 2/Rockstar..
Wonder what's the case with Quantum Break IP rights. I think people asked Sam Lake on AMA but he never answered.

Afrikan

Remedy fully owns the Alan Wake IP. They also bankrolled the early development of Alan Wake themselves with the money they got from selling Max Payne to Take 2/Rockstar..
Wonder what's the case with Quantum Break IP rights. I think people asked Sam Lake on AMA but he never answered.

looking back now...was that a good decision? seemed like a gamble.

spectros4

Neo Member
looking back now...was that a good decision? seemed like a gamble.

I mean, they were able to release the game on PC, right? I think it's better that they own it, so that they'll be able to make a sequel with more freedom, which it seems like they want to do.
Otherwise, they'd be locked down to the Xbox One and Microsoft may not understand the creative vision they would have for said sequel.

I mean, they were able to release the game on PC, right? I think it's better that they own it, so that they'll be able to make a sequel with more freedom, which it seems like they want to do.
Otherwise, they'd be locked down to the Xbox One and Microsoft may not understand the creative vision they would have for said sequel.

Yes, Remedy own the Alan Wake IP, and probably the Quantum Break IP as well, since IP ownership is important to them. Alan Wake was released on PC because Microsoft gave them the go-ahead. Their relationship has been pretty good for a while now, and their visions seem to be aligned, so I don't foresee any problems.

Endo Punk

After Alan Wake this IP almost feels like a retreat by Remedy to the tried and true style of Max Payne but with added supernatural. Still sounds awesome but I really couldn't less care for the live action stuff. I heard it was added because MS plans to have a TV show based on the game as part of their TV content???

derFeef

After Alan Wake this IP almost feels like a retreat by Remedy to the tried and true style of Max Payne but with added supernatural. Still sounds awesome but I really couldn't less care for the live action stuff. I heard it was added because MS plans to have a TV show based on the game as part of their TV content???

Remedy has TV stuff in their games since MP1, this seems like en evolution to it, but with a far more serious tone. But it's still hard to tell what this is all about.

After Alan Wake this IP almost feels like a retreat by Remedy to the tried and true style of Max Payne but with added supernatural.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. I mean, first of all, we don't even know what this game is about, but more importantly, Alan Wake and Max Payne already have a lot in common. "Max Payne, but with added supernatural" might not be an entirely wrong way of describing Alan Wake, and that's great.

Still sounds awesome but I really couldn't less care for the live action stuff. I heard it was added because MS plans to have a TV show based on the game as part of their TV content???

Where did you hear that? I'm looking forward to the live action stuff a lot, especially after Bright Falls and American Nightmare. The whole concept of intertwining the two sounds intriguing, and if anyone can pull it off, it's Remedy. Yeah, I love those guys a lot, sorry, can't help it :)

Biggzy

Remedy has TV stuff in their games since MP1, this seems like en evolution to it, but with a far more serious tone. But it's still hard to tell what this is all about.

The TV stuff in Alan Wake was really well done, so hopefully they have amped it up to the next level in a good way.

That's what it sounds like.

While the game is the most important part of this to me, I'm not going to lie, I am really interested to see what they're going to be doing on the TV side. They gave hints that what you do in the game affects the TV show which could be interesting. So maybe you play a chapter, and it unlocks an episode of the show that somehow ties in to the actions you took for that chapter. Maybe there was a choice you had to make in the chapter on which character to kill off, and that would be reflected in the show.

Personally, I'm really excited that MS is going to start making TV shows based on its own IP. I think it's cool that they're going to be focusing on making geeky content based on the games I love. I just hope it's done well. If Forward Unto Dawn (Halo movie, it's on Netflix so check it out) is any indication, I think we're in for a good ride. It looks like they're spending a lot of resources to get their own studio set up to handle this. Out of all of the Hollywood studios to be making movies/TV shows off a game, I really only trust the people that created it, in this case MS/Remedy. I'm actually surprised Sony hasn't gone down this route earlier considering they own Sony Pictures.

derFeef

I know it's a small touch but I liked that MS had the Remedy CEO in their reel at the beginning of the Xbox One reveal. Gives me a bit of faith that those guys get treated well.

This is easily the most exciting new next gen title for me thus far. I have no idea what it's about, but that small teaser has me very interested. I've watched that trailer a number of times already, and I still can't get enough of the few scenes that appear to be gameplay, or at least cutscenes with in-game assets.

Alan Wake was an amazing game. It makes me very hopeful that MS has come back to Remedy to create another title for them.

derFeef

Well then let me remind you :)

Some things I noticed:

8782102157_8df154b868_o.gif

Supernatural hero? Seems to "fall down from sky, into the scene" maybe being a different person everytime even?

8788677276_ca7b904724_o.gif

Time still going - fire, paper.

8788671770_dbeebc115a_o.gif

Time frozen, no fire/paper movement, player character can interact?

8782081311_1e0028a482_o.gif

Uhm... action, maybe frozen time runs out over time. Player character dodging on the right.

8782073853_20193b59fb_o.gif

Time being fast forwarded so that the ship crashes into the bridge.

8782065639_6ea9b6dcec_o.gif

Looks good ;) Car headlights!

8788640920_2c06bed529_o.gif

Scene breaking up into shards for whatever reason (shards, butterfly effect etc.)

It looks like they're spending a lot of resources to get their own studio set up to handle this.

Studios. According to Nancy Tellem at the reveal event:

And this is only act one. At this very moment our talented teams at Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver and London are using the magic and science of Xbox to rethink dramas, comedies, competition shows, sports, live events, and digital shorts.

So that's probably MS L.A., (rumored, but not confirmed until now) MS Seattle, London Lift and... BigPark? Some other Vancouver-based team? In any case, as someone who also enjoyed Forward Until Dawn and thought 1 Vs. 100 was a neat idea, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

this game looks really good if those graphics are real. the one standout of the event and it's early, but among the best looking purported "next gen" titles revealed.

the whole combined with a tv show thing seems like nonsense i dont want anything to do with. i'm only speaking of game footage.

PARANO1A

Wasn't excited for this until I bought Alan Wake on special this week. Now I'm pumped for a new narrative driven game that tries out new ideas.

Studios. According to Nancy Tellem at the reveal event:

So that's probably MS L.A., (rumored, but not confirmed until now) MS Seattle, London Lift and... BigPark? Some other Vancouver-based team? In any case, as someone who also enjoyed Forward Until Dawn and thought 1 Vs. 100 was a neat idea, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

That's even better if they have multiple studios. It seems like they aren't fucking around. I can see this being incredibly popular with a very broad audience.

For example, my girlfriend is unlikely to play Quantum Break (she doesn't play that many games), but chances are she'd watch the TV show with me if it had the same level of quality that major television shows have today. To me, that's a win win. She gets to watch a great TV show, and I get to play a great game that also has a great TV show I can watch with her. Hell, maybe watching the show would get her interested in playing the game too.

I'd also love if 1 vs 100 made a comeback too. I was disappointed it didn't last for longer.

Jb

Some very nice hair on those character models. Makes me wish they were going for in engine cutscenes rather than FMVs. Those in MP/AW were fine on a small in game tv screen, but I doubt they have the talent to direct anything as good presentation wise as their in game stuff.

shandy706

This shite again? Cos of course no other machine on the planet can do fmv.

Some very nice hair on those character models. Makes me wish they were going for in engine cutscenes rather than FMVs. Those in MP/AW were fine on a small in game tv screen, but I doubt they have the talent to direct anything as good presentation wise as their in game stuff.

Dang graphics look nice but show me the gameplay.
Don't think this game will be for me too cinematic im afraid.

Did no one pay attention to the post just above??

Scenes like that bridge that we all thought was FMV/CG.....IS Gameplay.

bGanci

Banned
A Xbox one exclusive ? Ps fanboys attack! 3 screen shots and a description of the game. Already sucks.....to say those screens shot don't look fantastic is um unexpected. yes better that KZ SF! Why do people insist on posting that they don't want this game and their not buying a Xbox one? It sounds some are a bit desperate to have their opinions heard. Ehhh o well . Negativity is in with the hipsters I guess.

I read that but you seem to forget that there is also a series in the game that will be showed it all depends how they plan it. If it means game bits of around 40 min im oke with it if it means game bits of 10~15 min fuck that shit.

Why does Microsoft think gamers love television?

Aren't TV networks always talking about how they're bleeding viewers, losing them to TV and video games?

I don't watch a lot of TV, but I watch A LOT of tv shows. I don't see an issue with Microsoft adding shows connected to their games.

I thought it was real time all along. The physics are pre-calculated or animated as you can easily tell, because there is clipping going on. It still looks great, but it is not impossible. Physics like this completely in real time are still not possible I'm afraid.

I thought it was real time all along. The physics are pre-calculated or animated as you can easily tell, because there is clipping going on. It still looks great, but it is not impossible. Physics like this completely in real time are still not possible I'm afraid.

They are saying the physics are real time... They might be still scripted, but apparently once you pause time you can interact with it (Like on the E3 trailer where he goes though the debris)

TriGen

Amazing that the bridge scene was real time all along, so many posts dismissing it as FMV or CG. Someone create a thread about this startling revelation.

That face. Jesus Christ.

Yeah, I was going to comment on that guy's face too. They must of had a casting call asking for creeps.

And, yeah, after initially not knowing what to think about this game, I'm starting to get excited. I've even come around on their unlocking episodes of a TV show idea. I could potentially see one person in a family beating episode 1 of the game, then having the spouse and/or family watching episode 1 of the TV show the next night. Could be a great excuse to play a game for married folk.

Top Bottom