• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Xbox One in only 13 markets in '13; Free game for delayed preorderers

Of course I do. The DRM change was a 180. Adding a headset or delaying the launch in some countries is not.
Because the term has a specific origin doesn't mean you should repeat it out of context.

Why even start an argument about something as stupid as this? People have been using the "180" reference across GAF for every time MS has gone back one something they previously said.

dino1980

BNP

Brazil: 2 492 908 million USD
Sweden: 538 237 million USD

BNP per Capita

Brazil: 11 769 USD
Sweden: 40 394 USD

GINI The Gini coefficient measures the inequality among values of a frequency distribution (for example levels of income). A Gini coefficient of zero expresses perfect equality

Brazil: 54.7 procent (2007)
Sweden: 25.0 procent (2000)

Population

Brazil: 193,946,886
Sweden: 9,588,569

Brazil has potentially more customers who have the money to pay for a Xbox one, than in Sweden.

Alx

Why even start an argument about something as stupid as this? People have been using the "180" reference across GAF for every time MS has gone back one something they previously said.

That's precisely why I was mentioning it. It's getting tiresome to see people use words they don't understand, just because others do.

I hardly doubt that New Goatland with a population of 4 million humans and 40 million goats sold more Xbox 360 than any Benelux country or Sweden. And lets not forget that Sweden is the land of Battlefield and Minecraft, those games sell like 10 million copies for each platform...

Watch your mouth, that's my country you're talking about.

Polymath

Neo Member
What a nice way to fuck people over that live in those countries.
I live in the Netherlands and i know that people are capable of buying these luxury products here so it's an loss for Microsoft.

Not that i care anyways. I have two day one ps4's with my name on them.

BNP

Brazil: 2 492 908 million USD
Sweden: 538 237 million USD

BNP per Capita

Brazil: 11 769 USD
Sweden: 40 394 USD

GINI The Gini coefficient measures the inequality among values of a frequency distribution (for example levels of income). A Gini coefficient of zero expresses perfect equality

Brazil: 54.7 procent (2007)
Sweden: 25.0 procent (2000)

Population

Brazil: 193,946,886
Sweden: 9,588,569

Brazil has potentially more customers who have the money to pay for a Xbox one, than in Sweden.

I'm not an expert on the matter but aren't you discounting the huge pirate market factor for Brazil, which doesn't really exist in Sweden?

harSon

Banned
BRp2E2WCYAAvhfs.jpg

Looks like xbox live wont work and it requires registration in country of purchase

Isn't this the same as its always been? Don't you have to have an Xbox Live account from a supported region? To get around this, people have created accounts from a supported region.

dino1980

I'm not an expert on the matter but aren't you discounting the huge pirate market factor for Brazil, which doesn't really exist in Sweden?

Im not taking into account the software market, just to see if the population has the means to buy a xbox one console. The software pirate discussion is a whole other chapter :)

wrog

Isn't this the same as its always been? Don't you have to have an Xbox Live account from a supported region? To get around this, people have created accounts from a supported region.

Yeah, that should still work. Xbox Support won't advise anyone to break Xbox Live Terms & Conditions and make fake UK account.

Stampy

This doesn't make sense, not to be able to play and use market place with imported console. Xbox 360 was never officially released in my country, which would mean that I am screwed with xbox one. :/

harSon

Banned
I hardly doubt that New Goatland with a population of 4 million humans and 40 million goats sold more Xbox 360 than any Benelux country or Sweden. And lets not forget that Sweden is the land of Battlefield and Minecraft, those games sell like 10 million copies for each platform...

Obviously not. Either Microsoft hates those two countries, or it believes that they're better off focusing on New Zealand and Brazil for the time being. It's not like they threw darts at a board to select the countries they did. There's a fiscal reasoning behind it. Japan has a huge population, and a high GDP per capita, and yet the Xbox One isn't being released on Day 1 there. Population and GDP per capita do not directly correlate to sales.

Sakura

No India? No China?

Those are two of the biggest growing markets, why ignore them?

No offence to any body living in India, but with a GDP per capita of just a few thousand dollars, I don't believe the market is there to place them on the list of 2013 countries.

Jamie OD

Why do I have the feeling that the free game will be the version of Killer Instinct with Jago as the only playable character?

MCD

This doesn't make sense, not to be able to play and use market place with imported console. Xbox 360 was never officially released in my country, which would mean that I am screwed with xbox one. :/

You can.

Just use a fake US or UK account and play. That Xbox Support is silly.

The console is even region free now.

Satchel

Banned
Not sure if I should l tell Microsoft that the PS4 pre order numbers are slaughtering them here in Australia because I want mine this year.

KoopaTheCasual

No India? No China?

Those are two of the biggest growing markets, why ignore them?

Does anyone have figures on the gaming market in India, or just basic information on India's GDP? With Sony launching there in 2013, and Microsoft having no plan for the whole country, it could be a huge missed opportunity for MS, as I feel like India is a rapidly growing market (baseless speculation).

sangreal

That's how it reads to me. I just wish people would stop trying to get information like this from xbox support twitter reps.

Gargoyle

Neo Member
If you think about it, MS is actually pretty smart with their timing in anouncing this.

I can only speak for the Netherlands, but in the last two weeks all major retailers here have anounced that anyone who hasn't pre-ordered a PS4 yet won't get one until 2014. So even if a lot of angry people now are saying "screw MS, I'll buy a PS4 instead", fact is they will still have to wait until 2014 for a next gen console and by that time the Xbox One will probably launch here as well and then suddenly you have to make that choice again: PS4 or Xbox One. And my guess is that when that time arrives 4-6 months from now, a lot of people will go back to their original choice of Xbox One and have forgotten about all the anger they are feeling now, so MS won't have lost all that much sales anyways.

I'm glad I paid my downpayment for my PS4 preorder today guaranteeing me launchday goodness, but I feel bad for all the Xbox One fans who are getting double screwed (no PS4 or Xbox One this year).

No wonder Sony is holding launch stock back. They are sending those additional supplies to these countries who'll no doubt be switching pre orders as we speak :p

Yes you can turn on the XB1, you can play disc games on XB1 but he doesn't mention online play at all.

Not really
Twitter support don't even know China can play 360 online
And

Well,you don't even need to create new account,just use region change system

This should work, unless they start doing IP checks. Who knows at this point.

Has to be a yield issue and low production of X1. When they announced the 21 areas to release the X1, they didn't just say that without research into what market they would like to penetrate.

MS isn't stupid to "just" realize that they need more units for the US/other bigger parts of the state. It happens when you don't have enough units to produce otherwise they would GLADLY fulfill their original quota of 21.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It sounds more like they don't want supplies to be low in countries where more people probably want one.

Or they are doing the release just like every other console in history (except Xbox 360)

It's not their preference, but because of the difficulty of doing a worldwide launch they have had to scale back their ambition

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Watch your mouth, that's my country you're talking about.

Seriously. Isn't it 40 million SHEEP and not GOATS anyway?

EDIT: I think they wanted Australia, and if you do Australia, you might as well do New Zealand as well. Even if it has less potential customers than those 8 delayed countries.

This should work, unless they start doing IP checks. Who knows at this point.

I have a german friend who connects her X360 via a US Proxy IP

It lets her access US Netflix on it

So highly doubt there won't be a way to get an X1 to work correctly in non-launch country but still a bit disappointing I'm sure

Top Bottom