• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft explains how Xbox One importing could work

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Xboned if old:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-15-microsoft-explains-how-xbox-one-importing-could-work

"When the console launches this November, we will support Xbox One in 13 markets. Xbox One may be used in all countries, including the non-launched markets. In addition, Xbox One games are not region locked. Any Xbox One game purchased at retail can be used in any country on any Xbox One," said Microsoft in a statement.

"That said, there needs to be a valid payment method corresponding to a supported launch country in order for any transactions to occur over Xbox Live, and some content may not be accessible outside launch markets due to geographic content restrictions imposed by content right holders."

It's not a perfect workaround then, but it's better than nothing. Even without convenient access to the Xbox Live marketplace, players in countries affected by the delay will still be able to enjoy disc-based retail games to tide them over until their currency is supported.

So basically you can play the Xbone and any retail discs but you can't buy/play anything via XBL unless you have a card that corresponds to a launch country.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That's the same as now, right? Certain apps/content are IP locked and certain payment methods need to match up to the correct region.

There probably won't be enough support by the time it releases in the other countries anyway, by then there should be a small viable library of games released.

IN&OUT

Banned
Basically its a region free console..great.

Thinking about how restrictive X1 was before the 180, I swear X1 would've never sold at all, I even think that it was impossible for it to reach 10-15 million sold with all those restrictions. MS backpedaling on everything was the best thing they've done.

Codernaut

Banned
So basically you can play the Xbone and any retail discs but you can't buy/play anything via XBL unless you have a card that corresponds to a launch country.

Not quite. If you're trying to purchase a game or downloadable content through the Marketplace and it's region locked then what they'll do is check your IP address to figure out your location, and if you're outside your home country then they will not allow you to proceed the process. It's basically the same as the current Marketplace.

As a frequent traveller, this really grinds my gears.

That's the same as now, right? Certain apps/content are IP locked and certain payment methods need to match up to the correct region.

thats kinda like steam well i just found out a few days ago the steam gift card i bought at a store (20 dollars worth) I couldn't use it because I wasn't in the correct region or something but support fixed that for me.

It's totally different.

First - all games are WW signed. Not all 360 games are.

Second - The console will work everywhere (keeping in mind Power Supplies)

Third - You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family.

Now, of course, if you were using Pre-Paid cards... :)

You will still find that music and video content can be geo-restricted based on licensing. (e.g. Netflix works only in supported countries)

Dragon

Banned
It's totally different.

Third - You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family.

You will still find that music and video content can be geo-restricted based on licensing. (e.g. Netflix works only in supported countries)

I love your avatar and dislike your tag. What to believe, what to believe!

It's totally different.

Thanks for posting Albert

You always add more insight than the official statements

Dragon

Banned
I don't work in Microsoft PR. I'm not sure why that's there, and I can't change it.

I do work at Microsoft, however.

Well thanks for clarifying all of that. I'm assuming MS doesn't want to encourage the non-launched markets for importing because they want to have enough consoles to cover the territories they ARE launching in.

As far as your tag, you should be happy, I've been tag begging for years and no luck.

R3TRODYCE

It's totally different.

Good job as always.

It's weird to me that they're still thinking through major things like this only a couple of months away from launch. Hope they figure out an adequate solution.

LNBL

It's totally different.

Hi Albert thanks for posting!

What about using PayPall?

Well thanks for clarifying all of that. I'm assuming MS doesn't want to encourage the non-launched markets for importing because they want to have enough consoles to cover the territories they ARE launching in.

Launch volumes are not really an issue. This was simply a software issue in terms of getting local language and voice support in the dash. it's pretty straightforward, but disappointing I know for people who are missing launch.

Obviously, I support people waiting for the official supported launch in the affected markets for the best experience ;)

Can I change my account region to any of the supported countries and get stuff from XBLA, and when Xbone officially launches over here change account region back?

Guymelef

Launch volumes are not really an issue. This was simply a software issue in terms of getting local language and voice support in the dash. it's pretty straightforward, but disappointing I know for people who are missing launch.

Obviously, I support people waiting for the official supported launch in the affected markets for the best experience ;)

What about Switzerland?
This year in France, Germany and Italy.
Three official Switzerland languages.

LTWheels

Considering the EU zone, I guess a credit card any Euro country would work. Point cards and stuff like that for the 360 are just EU cards. Doesn't matter if you buy them in the UK or any other EU country.

rouken

It's totally different.

I'm happy you keep posting on major threads like this, because the vagueness that PR will only help the negative spinners around here :)

Working on the Swiss translation might take a while. I heard the Swiss language can be a real doozy.

If they'll still support PayPal (I don't see why not), it should be enough I think.

Working on the Swiss translation might take a while. I heard the Swiss language can be a real doozy.
AFAIK, Xbox Live in Switzerland is still very problematic on 360. That's why they've got multiple "main" languages depending on where you live, so it happens you are in the Italian area but Live wants to give you only german contents and so on. I presume that's part of the problem.

NuKERxyz

It's totally different.

So i can buy digital things with my Credit Card from a country outside the 13list that as an adress associated outside of that list, in my account that its also outside that list?

Top Bottom