• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 at PAX Prime a.k.a. WTF DICE

and then add the bulkiest controller since the Duke.

You sure about that?
edcLqax.jpg

Not really but the design makes it uncomfortable to hold and pull triggers on. Here is a graphical representation explaining why you will accidentally pull triggers all the time on xbox one.

Trigger finger marked in red.

TwxixyH.jpg

I had issues with the bumpers as well…it seems like you have to push down on the outer edges of the bumpers, which is annoying since the ends of my fingers rest on the inside edges. Was one of the first things I noticed when I got my hands on the controller.

McDougles

I really wish DICE would just show us some console footage already. Get on Fallon already and at least show us some single player footage at the very least. They must have something optimized.

He's too busy priming for taking over Jay Leno's audience and spot. Wonder if he will continue to do as much "young" stuff like play video games on his show anymore.

IN&OUT

Banned
DS4. The warm softness of the DS4 build material outweighs the stick placement of the 360 controller.

I have always thought that DS4 looks more comfortable, more refined controller. seems like you solidified my thoughts. Thanks

DS4 best controller to grace earth, available Nov 15 :)

DS4. The warm softness of the DS4 build material outweighs the stick placement of the 360 controller.

First impressions are great and all but any new controller feels odd until you game with it for some time.

Would be interested to hear if you played more than KZ and BF4 today.

Hahahaha riiiiiiight.

I guess literally everyone else that has held the thing has got it wrong, then. The hyperbole here is amazing sometimes.

Pretty much every hands on I've read (I've read just about all of them) have said that the Xbox One controller is a step back from the Xbox 360 controller and the DS4 is the better controller overall.

Here's another set of impressions I found today:

http://o.canada.com/2013/08/30/press-start-ps4s-dualshock-4-vs-xbox-one-controller/

TheCloser

Banned
Hahahaha riiiiiiight.

I guess literally everyone else that has held the thing has got it wrong, then. The hyperbole here is amazing sometimes.

The shape if the X1 controller automatically makes it uncomfortable to hold. It reminds me of those crappy pdp trigger grips for the vita. They have the exact same shape.

Valnen

First impressions are great and all but any new controller feels odd until you game with it for some time.

I never had that issue with any of the playstation controllers. All of them have felt pretty natural aside from DS3's triggers. 360 controller was also pick up and play immediate comfort. Honestly if a controller isn't immediately comfortable they've done something wrong.

Where did you read that?

http://majornelson.com/2013/08/27/xbox-one-at-pax-prime-on-august-30-september-2/

Battlefield 4: Known for their world-class multiplayer, DICE is bringing Battlefield 4’s epic 64-player battles, vehicular combat and all-out warfare to North American fans this week.
Gamers will have a chance to go hands-on with the “Siege of Shanghai” beta launching in early October. With the release of Battlefield 4 this holiday, players will experience an all-new level of destruction and dynamic environments with a game-changing concept called Levolution, and for the first time for Battlefield console gamers, 64-players running at 60 frames-per-second on Xbox One. #BF4

GrizzNKev

Banned

Would be interested to hear if you played more than KZ and BF4 today.

Played Driveclub, Knack, Tearaway, KZSF, BF4, HAWKEN on the Oculus Rift HD (life changing) saw Watch_Dogs, ACIV.

Going to repeat all the Sony stuff and add in Infamous SS tomorrow, then hit up all the Nintendo stuff.

I stood next to Kamiya while he watched people try W101 :)

Hahahaha riiiiiiight.

What I find amazing is that you seem totally comfortable with the opposite of his analogy being true, as if there aren't people out there that might also think otherwise (like you think otherwise of his). Point being:

That's HIS opinion. And he put up pic to give you an idea why. Can't fault him for it.

whaaat LOL are you reading YouTube comments? Everyone seems to universal like it.

Nope, articles on the web. The major criticism I've read over and over are:

1) Feels more cramped compared to the Xbox 360 controller
2) Triggers and Bumpers feel worse

Everything else is positive (d-pad, face buttons) or neutral (analogues).

Played Driveclub, Knack, Tearaway, KZSF, BF4, HAWKEN on the Oculus Rift HD (life changing) saw Watch_Dogs, ACIV.

Going to repeat all the Sony stuff and add in Infamous SS tomorrow, then hit up all the Nintendo stuff.

I stood next to Kamiya while he watched people try W101 :)

Hit up indie mega booth and Xbox. Anything you feel is a must own on ps4 yet?

GrizzNKev

Banned
What I find amazing then is that you seem totally comfortable with the opposite of his analogy being true, as if there aren't people out there that might also think otherwise. Point being:

That's HIS opinion. And he put up pic to give you an idea why. Can't fault him for it.

It's entirely dependent on the size of my hands. If I had slightly bigger hands, I'd probably love the Xbone controller. I have small, delicate, piano hands.

Hit up indie mega booth and Xbox. Anything you feel is a must own on ps4 yet?

Temped to cancel my PS4 preorder actually, lol. Depends on Infamous at this point.

Justin

Were you the only one at PAX who played the Xbox version of BF4? I cant find a single other written report about it. It seems that if they were running a gimped "Xbox" version running on a PC that was only 16 players there would have been reports minutes after the show opened.

Was it in the Xbox booth?

meta4

Hahahaha riiiiiiight.

Er.. The majority do seem to prefer the DS4 over the X1 controller so not sure what is the hyperbole here. Not that I have any issue with DS3 so if X1 is like DS3 in his comparison I have no problems.

strata8

Nope, articles on the web. The major criticism I've read over and over are:

1) Feels more cramped compared to the Xbox 360 controller
2) Triggers and Bumpers feel worse

Everything else is positive (d-pad, face buttons) or neutral (analogues).

Can you post more sources? What I've seen says it's largely the same as the 360 controller with some improvements.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Were you the only one at PAX who played the Xbox version of BF4? I cant find a single other written report about it. It seems that if they were running a gimped "Xbox" version running on a PC that was only 16 players there would have been reports minutes after the show opened.

Was it in the Xbox booth?

It was at the Xbox booth, with fake Xbox Ones sitting atop the boxes containing the Win 7 PCs playing Battlefield 4. I saw the desktop on multiple demo stations, and pausing the game showed the mouse cursor. The HUD displayed keyboard keys. There were zero unlocks. Player count was tiny. There were 20 demo stations total and a bunch of them weren't operational.

I also saw Knack crash and the guy working the booth had to restart the devkit. Got a tiny close-up peek at the PS4 login UI.

Tearaway actually crashed on me also. Such is the nature of unfinished games.

Hahahaha riiiiiiight.

Where's the hyperbole in that post? You seem needlessly salty over the opinion of a guy who appears to have played around with both controllers and then gave an honest assessment of the two.

http://majornelson.com/2013/08/27/xbox-one-at-pax-prime-on-august-30-september-2/

Battlefield 4: Known for their world-class multiplayer, DICE is bringing Battlefield 4’s epic 64-player battles, vehicular combat and all-out warfare to North American fans this week.
Gamers will have a chance to go hands-on with the “Siege of Shanghai” beta launching in early October. With the release of Battlefield 4 this holiday, players will experience an all-new level of destruction and dynamic environments with a game-changing concept called Levolution, and for the first time for Battlefield console gamers, 64-players running at 60 frames-per-second on Xbox One. #BF4

I see. What's even weirder is that the BF twitter has been tweeting that a beta (not alpha like Gamescom) was going to be shown at PAX:

1nzoLkN.png

And now it turns out the PRE-alpha build from E3 is the one being shown? I mean why not simply re-use the alpha from Gamescom? It doesn't make sense to show an inferior build from months ago.

To me this all sounds like someone made a huge mistake.

MS spent 100mil and made the controller worse--lol.

Wow, just because they spent that ridiculous amount of money on the research for the new controller doesn't mean it guarantees every person that touches it will think its better than the previous version...

I don't understand your logic at all.....

TheCloser

Banned
Wow, just because they spent that ridiculous amount of money on the research for the new controller doesn't mean it guarantees every person that touches it will think its better than the previous version...

I don't understand your logic at all.....

It's ergonomically worse. All they had to do was fix the dpad and bumpers but they went and royally screwed it up.

Arkam

I recall at the PAX East both for Borderlands 2, they made it explicitly clear - they even see a camera or phone, you will be removed from the line/booth.
That's definetly not the case at pax prime. I recorded my whole play through of TitanFall today. Ms guys were all nice as hell, despite the long line (took my whole lunch break)

I see. What's even weirder is that the BF twitter has been tweeting that a beta (not alpha like Gamescom) was going to be shown at PAX. And now it turns out the PRE-alpha build from E3 is the one being shown? I mean why not simply re-use the alpha from Gamescom? It doesn't make sense to show an inferior build from months ago.

There's a screwup somewhere cause if you read my post and the OP they are playing the Beta map but not with 64 players....weird...

hyperbole is gaf's favorite word.

everything is hyperbole.

oh come on, you can do better than that.
I was thinking the same thing.

So much bickering during new console launches. You would assume this community was mature enough to just be happy about both systems and admit to themselves they'll get both eventually.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I see. What's even weirder is that the BF twitter has been tweeting that a beta (not alpha like Gamescom) was going to be shown at PAX:

1nzoLkN.png

And now it turns out the PRE-alpha build from E3 is the one being shown? I mean why not simply re-use the alpha from Gamescom? It doesn't make sense to show an inferior build from months ago.

This was the screen shown upon death:

I am not a liar.

Top Bottom