• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 at PAX Prime a.k.a. WTF DICE

Mr Swine

Banned
I will be disappointed if developers can't utilise the GPU in the PS4 properly.

It's better than a 6950 (this is also my card - a fantastic GPU IMO. Runs just about every game at near max settings).

I will laugh if BF4 runs better on my PC on the PS4.

Better GPU yes, but worse CPU which is important for games like BF4

Metfanant

Not the problem here. Apparently they are running the E3 build at PAX, not the noticeably more complete and solid Gamescom build. What's troubling is that DICE/EA had said BF4 would be in a beta build at PAX. Guess that's not happening?
I think you're battling semantics here...

Alpha...Beta...those words can mean completely different things to different people...especially a PR person running DICE's twitter account...

You're simply reading too much into that "beta" tweet...

Also...hyperbole should be a bannable word lol...I think the majority of GAF has no idea how to use it lol

Kashinoda

Banned
I will be disappointed if developers can't utilise the GPU in the PS4 properly.

It's better than a 6950 (this is also my card - a fantastic GPU IMO. Runs just about every game at near max settings).

I will laugh if BF4 runs better on my PC on the PS4.

BF4 is a game being developed on 5 platforms across 2 generations, it's not a dedicated first party title. The PS4 won't be used to it's potential this early on, even Cerny said this will take years.

Have a look at the likes of Watch_Dogs, the footage from next gen consoles is very underwhelming. That coupled with the impressions I've read from people playing the PS4 and Xbone builds doesn't fill me with huge expectations.

This isn't a dig at either the PS4 or Xbone, they're going to be leaps and bounds ahead of their predecessors but it doesn't happen overnight.

HariKari

I think you're battling semantics here...

Alpha...Beta...those words can mean completely different things to different people...especially a PR person running DICE's twitter account...

You're simply reading too much into that "beta" tweet...

Semantics? The build at PAX is literally months behind the Gamescom one.

from the reddit post that brought us the pictures:

So today I was lucky enough to attend PAX Prime in Seattle, WA. I was able to check out my most anticipated title; Battlefield 4, plus I was able to have a few words with daskro.
So, I believe some info has already been posted about the build in show, etc. But again;
-Running on PC's with Xbox One controllers.
-Seems to be the E3 build. Battlefield 3 style death animation, "Battlefield 4 at E3" banner upon death, etc.
-Resolution was set to 1920X1080
-Total of 20 stations set up, 12 of which were active when I was at the station.
-From what I could do, changing weapons per class was not an option with the controller (needed mouse and keyboard).

-DICE devs were NOT present. I did speak to a man from EA, and he was really cool though.

Everything was worse essentially. The weapon and attachment selection was nearly non-existant. The small details (gas escaping from the barrell, and tiered reloading were not present for example).

Overall less polished and less stable than the Gamescom build.

Gamescom build was alpha.
What was said to be at PAX was a beta build:

3CA16pF.png

Someone just plain didn't deliver. Seems like an EA last minute thing thrown together for PAX, rather than an organized effort by DICE.

Metfanant

Semantics? The build at PAX is literally months behind the Gamescom one.

from the reddit post that brought us the pictures:

Gamescom build was alpha.
What was said to be at PAX was a beta build:

3CA16pF.png

Someone just plain didn't deliver. Seems like an EA last minute thing thrown together for PAX, rather than an organized effort by DICE.
Just re-read my other post over and over again for the next hour or so...eventually it will sink in...promise

GrizzNKev

Banned
Just re-read my other post over and over again for the next hour or so...eventually it will sink in...promise

No, you're wrong.

EA has been advertising the Battlefield 4 beta for a while now. It begins in early October. The only map included in the beta is Siege of Shanghai. The person behind this demo setup is deliberately misleading people simply because it is running the same map that the beta contains. It's a shame because the crappiness of the demo is misrepresenting what I'm sure is a really awesome game. Which we saw at Gamescom.

Metfanant

No, you're wrong.

EA has been advertising the Battlefield 4 beta for a while now. It begins in early October. The only map included in the beta is Siege of Shanghai. The person behind this demo setup is deliberately misleading people simply because it is running the same map that the beta contains. It's a shame because the crappiness of the demo is misrepresenting what I'm sure is a really awesome game. Which we saw at Gamescom.
I'm still going to stand by my assertion that people are reading FAR too much into that tweet...

The terms beta, alpha, pre-alpha, pre-pre-pre-alpha etc...get thrown around wayyyy too much on forums when nobody here has a clue what that REALLY means in relation to any particular studio or game development...

Marvifom

Neo Member
Is it weird if I say the new controller looks less elegant than one that came out in 2005? The overall shape and design seems much more bulky.
Not at all. I to feel the same way. I don't know why, but the Xbone controller looks as though its less comfortable than the current xbox controller.

velociraptor

BF4 is a game being developed on 5 platforms across 2 generations, it's not a dedicated first party title. The PS4 won't be used to it's potential this early on, even Cerny said this will take years.

Have a look at the likes of Watch_Dogs, the footage from next gen consoles is very underwhelming. That coupled with the impressions I've read from people playing the PS4 and Xbone builds doesn't fill me with huge expectations.

This isn't a dig at either the PS4 or Xbone, they're going to be leaps and bounds ahead of their predecessors but it doesn't happen overnight.
I guess.

The sooner this current generation ends, the better. I would prefer if devs could properly focus their efforts on utilising the next gen consoles and their intricacies for maximum benefit.

Bad Company 2 art style was way better than BF3 and BF4.

Definitely agree with BF3. Of course I've yet to play BF4 so I'll be reserving my judgement on it for now.

As for the PAX demo, it sounds like something went wrong especially considering it's only 8v8 on such a map.

Finalizer

Not oh snap. Nobody's seen public footage of any other build outside the PC build on a high end PC. E3 was PC not Xbox one. Despite moore's claims, dual 7970s aren't "specced to Xbox one" and the Xbox doesn't have a backspace key either.

Uh, did you miss the whole debacle a week ago over how the PS4 version of BF4 looked like "medium graphics at 720p"? That was apparently running on PS4 devkits, and it showed.

StevieP

Banned
Uh, did you miss the whole debacle a week ago over how the PS4 version of BF4 looked like "medium graphics at 720p"? That was apparently running on PS4 devkits, and it showed.

I used the word public, did I not? We haven't seen footage. All footage shown to public thus far has been high end PC.

Top Bottom