• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 at PAX Prime a.k.a. WTF DICE

sam27368

Banned
Yeah, you're right. We certainly wouldn't want equal treatment for the Xbone and the PS4 in the gaming press.
It's painful how little people know about the games development process yet state to have such a god know it all complex. This is why a lot of devs say it is painful to read GAF due to lack of understanding.

It's painful how little people know about the games development process yet state to have such a god know it all complex. This is why a lot of devs say it is painful to read GAF due to lack of understanding.
What is there to understand? They are refusing to show the Xbone version raising concerns. They only showed the PS4 version once and it looked not nearly as good as the PC version. Is the XB1 version working at all or does it run at 20 FPS at the moment?

jaaz

GAF is one thing, mostly made up of gaming enthusiasts whose posts are forgotten barely after they hit reply. I would hope, however, that the gaming press would be held up to a higher journalistic standard. But when you have some so-called executive editor from IGN bashing the quality of a pre-Alpha version of BF4 on PS4 while saying nothing about the fact that DICE has not even shown the Xbone version of the game (which will be running on less powerful hardware), you realize that the journalistic standards of the gaming press aren't any better than what you read from random posters here on GAF.

MMaRsu

Banned
GAF is one thing, mostly made up of gaming enthusiasts whose posts are forgotten barely after they hit reply. I would hope, however, that the gaming press would be held up to a higher journalistic standard. But when you have some so-called executive editor from IGN bashing the quality of a pre-Alpha version of BF4 on PS4 while saying nothing about the fact that DICE has not even shown the Xbone version of the game (which will be running on less powerful hardware), you realize that the journalistic standards of the gaming press aren't any better than what you read from random posters here on GAF.
Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But building collapse! That's next-gen right?

So long as other shooters don't do destruction, yes it is.

Also why are you surprised that the X-box version isn't running on X-box kits? The whole X-box run-up-to-launch has been so alarm blaring "WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE DOING" that I'm not really surprised that DICE (and possibly other devs) are running stuff on Win8 kits.

(But hey, silver lining: It's running on Win 8 so maybe at launch it won't be broken in alt-tabing out of it like SC:Blacklist was)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Not really but the design makes it uncomfortable to hold and pull triggers on. Here is a graphical representation explaining why you will accidentally pull triggers all the time on xbox one.

Trigger finger marked in red.

TwxixyH.jpg
I knew that shit was gonna be a step backwards.

No, no dummy Xbox Ones in the stands. All the other MS games did though.

So they were all running on PCs or just Dev kits with retail cases? Dev kits is fine, but PCs would be crazy considering the stink Lowe and Gies were spreading on twitter about the PS4 not showing with retail specs....

sunnz

The bad thing about the UK PS4 launch - we get 2 weeks to hear the Americans tell us how fantastic it is.

The good thing about the UK PS4 launch - we get to hear their impressions on BF4 before spending our money. It's gone from a Must Buy to more apprehensive Wait & See.

Another good thing is that we can determine in those two weeks if the console has .... issues ( like over heating and such)

I really hope, and am sure, it won't happen but you never know.

TheSeks

Why would Dice make a demo for PAX?
and you do realize its unfinished software right?!

DING DING DING, we have a winner.

People want to play the game, they already have a build (even if it's "earlier") up for them to try.

I'm probably going to eat crow but the PS3/360/PC "beta" of BF4 is probably going to be the same map just like Operation Metro was shown off and then the "beta"/demo for BF3.

Er...isn't this game being released in November?

Why would this game be in a finished "state" currently?

GTA V has gone gold this week and is to be released in about 3 weeks..assuming that BF4 follows the same time frame, DICE has the entirety of September (and assuming the rumours of a late November launch for the consoles, a large part of October).

Throw in that at crunch time, develppers are easily working 12-14 hours per day, why is everyone freaking out?

sam27368

Banned
What is there to understand? They are refusing to show the Xbone version raising concerns. They only showed the PS4 version once and it looked not nearly as good as the PC version. Is the XB1 version working at all or does it run at 20 FPS at the moment?
This reply is straight up drama, they are not refusing anything. Quite frankly, I doubt they care since they're probably knee deep in making the game and the whines from impatient naysayers isn't going to change anything. These people know how to make games, and have been involved in games far longer than any of us. So get off the high horse and stop demanding they show, it's their game and its upto them.

Seanspeed

Banned
Er...isn't this game being released in November?

Why would this game be in a finished "state" currently?

GTA V has gone gold this week and is to be released in about 3 weeks..assuming that BF4 follows the same time frame, DICE has the entirety of September (and assuming the rumours of a late November launch for the consoles, a large part of October).

Throw in that at crunch time, develppers are easily working 12-14 hours per day, why is everyone freaking out?
Well BF4 for PC and 360/PS3 come out in October, but yes, they do have a bit of extra time with the next-gen consoles.

I think the main problem is that the builds used for the demos are in a very unoptimized state, meaning that they need a fairly powerful rig to power it and the console hardware just isn't gonna cut it at this point. Just my guess.

TheSeks

bleachrude said:
>>Stuff<<

Even then they aren't going to make a new "demo" build from the newest slice in the rush/"crunch" to go gold. They don't have time for that.

The news about the X-box dev kits is the news here. But that shouldn't be surprising since 1) most console dev kits are PCs and 2) the X-box launch team has been so badly mismanaged that it's like they're chickens with their heads cut off in regards to getting the dashboard/API/etc. ready for launch.

why is everyone freaking out?

Because ZOMG X-BOX DEMO IS RUNNING ON A PC (which it's being released on!) FREAK OUT!

And some of these people probably aren't even going to play the game a month from launch because they'll be moving to the next flavor of the week shooter. I dunno why I bother with BF threads that aren't the OT's months later because gaming-side has to freak out over every little thing.

I think the main problem is that the builds used for the demos are in a very unoptimized state,

You mean a demo they built earlier in the year and are using again isn't going to be optimized because it was built earlier when the development wasn't optimized!? *gasp!*

TheD

The Detective
It is running on a PC, not a fucking dev kit!

It is shitty to show the PC version in place of a console version and they should have real, near final hardware for the consoles at this point, so that likely means MS is having a lot of problems that are stopping DICE from showing the real version (or they are just going out of their way to trick people, maybe because MS does not want people to see how bad it looks and runs on real hardware).

VeeP

Guys, making a demo isn't easy. Developers don't just cut out a level and add some load outs and call it a day. It takes a lot of time, money, resources, and testing to make a video game demo.

Not only that but crunch time is extremely important in game development. Halo: CE and God of War had a terrible E3 show. Frame rate drops, bugs, etc. But the games received AAA reviews upon release and most of the problems were fixed.

sam27368

Banned
I'm amazed at how many of you guys don't realize how much work and time goes into making a "demo." Developers don't just cut out a level and add some load outs and call it a day.

Not only that but crunch time is extremely important in game development. Halo: CE and God of War had a terrible E3 show. Frame rate drops, bugs, etc. But the games received AAA reviews upon release and most of the problems were fixed.
People on GAF can't remember what happened beyond the last month when it comes to gaming news. The meltdowns are funny, I might start saving them and get Microsoft Sam to start reading them out.

Seanspeed

Banned
You mean a demo they built earlier in the year and are using again isn't going to be optimized because it was built earlier when the development wasn't optimized!? *gasp!*

Well yea, I'm just responding as to why they're not demo'ing the console versions at the moment. Its probably a lot of work to build demos for all the different platforms.

I get what you're saying, but unless you work for Sony or Microsoft, how exactly is any of that our problem?

So how do you access scores on mp games on the DS4 now? I would hope the share button acts as a select when tapped and Share when held, I don't want to lose functionality over an older device.

All these posts regarding the XBox One and PS4 controllers, I guess it would be cool if we had an official thread for impressions on the controllers, for those who have played at E3, at GC, PAX, etc.

Cartman86

Banned
So how do you access scores on mp games on the DS4 now? I would hope the share button acts as a select when tapped and Share when held, I don't want to lose functionality over an older device.

Either the Options button or the touch screen click I would guess. Pausing is done by the PS button now which just freezes the game in its current state and let's you navigate the front end.

pixlexic

Banned
Not really but the design makes it uncomfortable to hold and pull triggers on. Here is a graphical representation explaining why you will accidentally pull triggers all the time on xbox one.

Trigger finger marked in red.

TwxixyH.jpg

is this a joke? you can hold them both the same.

No deformed red fingers prove anything. :/

GrizzNKev

Banned
Lol at people misinterpreting me. I'm saying they gave us the E3 demo when the Gamescom demo exists and is much further along. Why not use the Gamescom demo? Then add on top of that it was advertised as a 64 player beta build but it's far from it.

Kashinoda

Banned
The AMD HD 6950 arguments on here are borderline silly.

An argument was made that the AMD HD 6950 will be able to at least match the performance of next generation consoles.

Then everyone slams the guy, declaring the 6950 won't run Battlefield 4, on ultra settings and 1080p. Congratulations to you for pointing out the obvious. The PS4 or Xbox One won't get near that either, especially not this early in the console life cycle.

I have the same card with an i7 870, it's over two years old now yet it's still producing fantastic visuals on DX11 games.

Battlefield 3, Metro: Last Light, Witcher 2 (non DX11) all look stunning, and miles better than a lot of what I'm seeing from at least the multi platform next gen titles - Watch_Dogs for example. I have little doubt Battlefield 4 is going to look a lot better on my rig then it will on PS4 or Xbone.

First party titles however, are a different story (I'm mainly thinking Killzone here), but again the 6950 is keeping pace. Which was the whole point entirely.

Before any one bothers.

yes preview builds, unfinished products yada yada
yes my opinion, no benchmarks etc.
yes it's early days in consoles life cycle
yes teraflops gigawatts flux capacitor

Either the Options button or the touch screen click I would guess. Pausing is done by the PS button now which just freezes the game in its current state and let's you navigate the front end.

Okay thats not bad. I hope devs take advantage of tap and hold for these buttons though, no reason not to. Tap the options and get the scores in mp/map in sp or hold for quick access to the in game options and settings.

Wizman23

Banned
So 1 person disliked the controller after tons of positive feedback and now its the worst thing ever. Love this place sometimes

Goddammit, MS, the controller is the one thing of yours I intend to buy in the holidays. Don't fuck it up.

The controller has gotten pretty much unanimous praise elsewhere. Not deriding the OP of course, people have different hands and adjusting to a new controller can take time, but one lone opinion across the vast range of positive ones shouldn't throw you off immediately.

Martian

I always forget how clunky that original Xbox controller looked.
When it first came out (i was a lot younger) I remember not being able to hold it normally

traind

I have little doubt Battlefield 4 is going to look a lot better on my rig then it will on PS4 or Xbone.

I have a 7870 2GB and I believe the next gen consoles will look at least as good, probably better.

velociraptor

An argument was made that the AMD HD 6950 will be able to at least match the performance of next generation consoles.

Then everyone slams the guy, declaring the 6950 won't run Battlefield 4, on ultra settings and 1080p. Congratulations to you for pointing out the obvious. The PS4 or Xbox One won't get near that either, especially not this early in the console life cycle.

I have the same card with an i7 870, it's over two years old now yet it's still producing fantastic visuals on DX11 games.

Battlefield 3, Metro: Last Light, Witcher 2 (non DX11) all look stunning, and miles better than a lot of what I'm seeing from at least the multi platform next gen titles - Watch_Dogs for example. I have little doubt Battlefield 4 is going to look a lot better on my rig then it will on PS4 or Xbone.

First party titles however, are a different story (I'm mainly thinking Killzone here), but again the 6950 is keeping pace. Which was the whole point entirely.

Before any one bothers.

yes preview builds, unfinished products yada yada
yes my opinion, no benchmarks etc.
yes it's early days in consoles life cycle
yes teraflops gigawatts flux capacitor
I will be disappointed if developers can't utilise the GPU in the PS4 properly.

It's better than a 6950 (this is also my card - a fantastic GPU IMO. Runs just about every game at near max settings).

I will laugh if BF4 runs better on my PC on the PS4.

Top Bottom