• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Battlefield 4 Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

todahawk

You can't level the maps in BC2. Try again.

However, BF4 having destruction more akin to BC2 is great because we will hopefully see more buildings and environmental objects destroyed. BF3 was too static.

LOL PS3GAF came pretty damn close on Nelson Bay. On defense we'd get everyone on mounted weapons and whatever else we had handy and bring those pesky trees down.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
You can't level the maps in BC2. Try again.

However, BF4 having destruction more akin to BC2 is great because we will hopefully see more buildings and environmental objects destroyed. BF3 was too static.
I don't really see cover as a bad thing.

TCRS

Banned
nice, but the support class does seem a bit overpowered. nerf or hatemails incoming :/

recoil definitely seems to be less, but accuracy is also down as far as I can make out from these videos. not sure what to make of the XM25, we'll see how good it is.

I'm also confused with the mortar, do you have to deploy it first somewhere? Because he is in the building and is still able to use the mortar. Well, it's at least not as useless as in BF3.

I thought it would be something more classic like in BC1 though, where you hve to point at the target. this has the problem that you can just hide somwhere, shoot five rounds and get kills. in BF3 hiding was not much of an issue because the mortar was not that deadly.

VariantX

I think BF3 had the same amount of weapons in the beginning, but a lot more weapons came with the DLCs.

cheers pandaL, I'll watch that later.

About 20 in the first 2 expansions and the X bow in aftermath. And the premium boxcutter knife.

Seanspeed

Banned
Support class is a little crazy.

They should really give the medic class the LMG's and call it support. That way you'd really be playing a support role, rather than being this massively armed beast.

Give assault the assault rifles, mortars and crazy laser gun thingy, along with ammo packs. Lets face it, ammo refills are not as great as health refills.

Overdoziz

Banned
So anyone know if you still have to wait and watch the killcam for a couple of seconds after you get killed like in BF3? Or can you actually change settings or loadouts straight away?

Naked Lunch

I'm worried about the same thing, but on the other hand, I think it might just be LevelCap--he's been playing BF3, and BF4, for a while and probably has a good grip on the recoil.

Or maybe they just need to reduce any accuracy boost that those foregrips give to LMGs.
I doubt DICE would revert back to across the board low recoil. If you remember, BF3 shipped with low recoil - it was more of a hold in the trigger and gain more accuracy (in other words, ass backwards). The following Spring, DICE brought out that huge BF3 weapon patch changing the behavior of every gun in the game to BF2 like recoil management. I highly doubt they will go back in 4. There's so many attachments in 4 now though - that I can see it taking quite some time for them to find the right balance yet again. Usually takes DICE 6 months to a year of patches to get things decent.

Lets face it, ammo refills are not as great as health refills.
Sounds like ammo will be more of factor now in BF4 with very limited clips and the new ammo pool reloading in Hardcore mode. You are right though, more players don't stay alive long enough to get replenished on ammo. Im hoping the new ammo limits mix this up.

PandaL

Support class is a little crazy.

They should really give the medic class the LMG's and call it support. That way you'd really be playing a support role, rather than being this massively armed beast.

Give assault the assault rifles, mortars and crazy laser gun thingy, along with ammo packs. Lets face it, ammo refills are not as great as health refills.

I think you didn't play BFBC2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZfWlkusCFo

RoKKeR

LevelCap keeping the content flowing - All BF4 PDWs in Action

Jack's video was good as well. Such great color during the day time, so pretty. DAMN, I'm pumped up. This latest build footage has been fantastic. New thread compiling all of the newest gameplay?

Insaniac

LevelCap keeping the content flowing - All BF4 PDWs in Action

Jack's video was good as well. Such great color during the day time, so pretty. DAMN, I'm pumped up. This latest build footage has been fantastic. New thread compiling all of the newest gameplay?

I thought PDWs were not restricted to any class in Bf3, and Engies used carbines. Has this changed now?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm worried about the same thing, but on the other hand, I think it might just be LevelCap--he's been playing BF3, and BF4, for a while and probably has a good grip on the recoil.

Or maybe they just need to reduce any accuracy boost that those foregrips give to LMGs.
Looks like the damage is close to BF3's hardcore mode. Recoil looks more or less the same, but you only need to hit a few times on the body to take someone down.

For me, I can't wait for the pistols. Always had more of a fascination with handguns than any other weapon really... maybe except swords lol.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
They should have done Back 2 Dragon Valley and given us some of the awesome BF2 Chinese maps. Daqing Oil Fields <3

Second Assault is so dumb and lazy, the game's only two years old on practically the same engine. Oh, right, levelolution, lol.
People have been playing de_dust2 for over decade. No point in throwing out good maps. I mean, ideally, the maps would just accumulate over the years and the most popular maps would continue to circulate.

GetemMa

• Maps can't be totally leveled, however, destruction is going to be more dramatic than BF3's and will be similar to BC2's destruction.
• They are considering bringing back the ability to destroy MCOMs by having structures and buildings fall on them, like BC2

Sold.

Makoto

They should have done Back 2 Dragon Valley and given us some of the awesome BF2 Chinese maps. Daqing Oil Fields <3

Second Assault is so dumb and lazy, the game's only two years old on practically the same engine. Oh, right, levelolution, lol.
Dumb and lazy is right. Dumb mostly because the maps they chose for it are atrocious. Second Assault doesn't even fit BF4 thematically. B2K made sense for BF3 since a portion of the game marked a return to the Middle Eastern theater. Second Assault should have been remakes of the Asia-inspired maps from BF2.

Timu

I do agree that BC2 is more fun than BF3 but BF3 did have quite a bit of improvements. BF4 looks to mix of BC2 and BF3 which is a great thing.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Are shotguns still primaries? I swear I saw someone switch to a super shorty from a carbine, as if it was his sidearm.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
That one is mixed in with the pistols. The rest are still primary.

Got it, that makes more sense. Otherwise they'd have to re-balance shotguns to poop-tier. Still, a shorty might be useful for when one is loading down with a bolt-action rifle.

Tekku

Are shotguns still primaries? I swear I saw someone switch to a super shorty from a carbine, as if it was his sidearm.

As GrizzNKev wrote it's a secondary weapon that is mixed in with the hand guns. It's called 12G Shorty and has a very narrow range and only holds 3 shells.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Got it, that makes more sense. Otherwise they'd have to re-balance shotguns to poop-tier. Still, a shorty might be useful for when one is loading down with a bolt-action rifle.

The full length shotguns seem to have been upgraded across the board, which is great. More rounds, more accurate. So tired of the MASS being better than most shotguns.

Tekku

Beta starts October 1.

An open beta for Battlefield 4 will launch on October 1, Electronic Arts has announced. The beta will be available on that date for all Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC players.

An "Exclusive" Battlefield 4 beta was previously announced for Battlefield 3 Premium owners, those who preordered the Battlefield 4 Digital Deluxe version, and owners of Medal of Honor: Warfighter. It is not clear when this version will be released.

Battlefield 4 launches for current-generation consoles and PC on October 29. For more on the Battlefield 4 beta, check out a FAQ page on the game's website.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/battlefield-4-beta-starts-october-1-6414469

Bailers

Dumb and lazy is right. Dumb mostly because the maps they chose for it are atrocious. Second Assault doesn't even fit BF4 thematically. B2K made sense for BF3 since a portion of the game marked a return to the Middle Eastern theater. Second Assault should have been remakes of the Asia-inspired maps from BF2.

I'm guessing Second Assault is less resource intensive on DICE's part. Maybe I'm wrong. But if it frees up designers to work on the new maps, and keeps people playing because there's new maps in rotation, I'm all for it.

But, will the gunplay be an improved Bad Company 2? Cause if it's the same as BF3 then I'll probably not even get a next gen console.

taoofjord

If this isn't the place for this question, I apologize and please ignore it, but after watching that impression video on PS4 vs PC graphics I found myself getting annoyed at how confident the guy was that the PS4 can't do the max settings on PC at 1080p.

I keep assuming that, like with every console generation, the more familiar the devs are with a console, the better and better the graphics get. Not to mention that this is typically only possible with engines made for these closed systems. This makes me believe that in 5 years we'll be seeing games on PS4 (for example) not only matching BF4 PC on Max (resolution, max AA, and max AF excluded) but exceeding it.

But then we've also heard from a couple devs that these console's power is a lot easier to tap into. Meaning we won't see games that push things much further than current PC games do.

So has there been a consensus, or something close to, regarding this? I'm really hoping that we'll see substantially better looking games down the road once devs are familiar with the hardware.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If this isn't the place for this question, I apologize and please ignore it, but after watching that impression video on PS4 vs PC graphics I found myself getting annoyed at how confident the guy was that the PS4 can't do the max settings on PC at 1080p.

I keep assuming that, like with every console generation, the more familiar the devs are with a console, the better and better the graphics get. Not to mention that this is typically only possible with engines made for these closed systems. This makes me believe that in 5 years we'll be seeing games on PS4 (for example) not only matching BF4 PC on Max (resolution, max AA, and max AF excluded) but exceeding it.

But then we've also heard from a couple devs that these console's power is a lot easier to tap into. Meaning we won't see games that push things much further than current PC games do.

So has there been a consensus, or something close to, regarding this? I'm really hoping that we'll see substantially better looking games down the road once devs are familiar with the hardware.

Games will get better over time and they will look substantially better than now. Probably not to quite the same extent as early gen PS3 games versus late gen because of the difficulty to program for that but there will still be huge differences. The easier architectures just make it easier to get a game up and running on the platform, there's still lots of tricks to learn and optimization to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom