• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue TGS trailer and screens

IzumiK said:
Your cellphone capture of someone looking at the menu screen and not playing is meaningless.

lol, AGAIN: I posted this pic to prove that I've seen it in person and NOT to bolden my statements towards how (mediocre) it looked to me. more pics:

spwolf

Phantast2k said:
lol, AGAIN: I posted this pic to prove that I've seen it in person and NOT to bolden my statements towards how (mediocre) it looked to me. more pics:

you were playing GTHD? Even GTHD looks goodies...

Phantast2k said:

While a lot of people haven't seen Prologue in person, most have seen videos of the actual gameplay and it looks anything but mediocre.

gt12.jpg

Niks

Phantast2k said:

wow, yo sure have high standards

Well if you think it looks mediocre, then my suggestion is you skip this generation of gaming... I mean GT is the best looking game out there at the moment nothing even comes close.

See you in 2012!

MickeyKnox said:
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

<3 Top Gear.

There was some upsetting rumors back when last season ended that they weren't coming back.

Awesome:

large.jpg

HOLY SH*T!!

Is that a man on rollerblades strapped with a rocketpack about to race an Aston Martin? WTF?!

I must watch this series!!

Greg

VonGak! said:
With a minuscule 1:1 scale and 60FPS how can the sense of speed be off?

And the sound is recorded straight from the cars, not added afterward like in HollyWood movies.

Reminds me of the Gamespot review of GT4 where the reporter said the game was unrealistic because the was no clank sound when changing gears. :S

It's GT, not PGR or Forza or Driven or 2Fast2Furious or...

BTW, I'm not slandering you Greg. ^.^
Ah, no offense taken at all - however, can you understand where I'm coming from?

While actually driving 100+ in real life, you actually feel/see the speed quite a bit (obviously higher for people that are used to higher speeds) - however, that mark starts at about 200 for GT games, and even that number is dependent on the track. The Ring is about as fast as it got for GT, and some of the other tracks felt like a crawl at times. 'll admit the inside view for GT:HD had a pretty good sense of speed, and most of that has to do with all the weight shifting around, but outside can be boring.

As for the sound - yeah, they've recorded their data straight from the cars, but they have yet to nail down the (for lack of a better word) balls of most of these cars. Have you ever heard some of these cars in real life?...hard to even describe how amazing they sound because you actually feel as much as you hear. A few trailers back it sounded as if they had that down, but then just recently the gameplay trailers that have been popping up sound rather dull in comparison.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Phantast2k said:
Did any of you ppl actually see this game in real life? Beause I've seen/played the GC build and it looked nowhere nearas in those pics and videos.. The jaggies alone, bleh..

It is somewhat Jaggy (Something people wont admit because they only want to accept the replay and garage shots as being the game). It does however look damn good in person. The jaggies are not as bad as 80% of games at the moment and I was told by a rep that they still had some extra processing power to throw towards getting the AA as good as they can.

As for people wanting Bugatti in the game... Sorry guys, its not going to happen. Even with the biggest moneyhat in the world. :(

spwolf

Router said:
It is somewhat Jaggy (Something people wont admit because they only want to accept the replay and garage shots as being the game). It does however look damn good in person. The jaggies are not as bad as 80% of games at the moment and I was told by a rep that they still had some extra processing power to throw towards getting the AA as good as they can.

As for people wanting Bugatti in the game... Sorry guys, its not going to happen. Even with the biggest moneyhat in the world. :(

person complaining about jaggies played GT HD, which is featured on PS3 Promotion truck.... GT5:p is definetly not featrued game on PS3 Promotion tour :D

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
spwolf said:
person complaining about jaggies played GT HD, which is featured on PS3 Promotion truck.... GT5:p is definetly not featrued game on PS3 Promotion tour :D

Oh well, that explains the complaints then :D

Router said:
wow, it took how many posts to get a decent reply?....gaf sucks.
As I said previously maybe the tv hook-up/setup was unfavorable to my impression, but it was just way too jaggie ingame.

[edit]
also "mediocre" was wrong wording (the car models look too good), let's replace it with disappointing as I expected too see the antialiased face of god after all those trailers.
[/edit]

spwolf said:
you fail!

pic.jpg

Neo 007

Router said:

If you were told by a 'rep', what 'rep' would that be? Also what the F*** would he know!!!

belvedere

Junior Butler
Am I reading this correctly? Please tell me they're just rehashing the original press release.

http://www.ps3center.net/story-1026-Info-Revealed-On-Gran-Turismo-5-Prologue-for-PS3.html

Info Revealed On Gran Turismo 5 Prologue for PS3
Posted by Victor Dangelo | Oct 4, 2007 08:24

Sony has put out the official fact sheet for the upcoming Gran Turismo 5 Prologue for the PS3 which will be available on the PlayStation Network on the PS3 as a free download this holiday season!

Sony stated ini the press release that GT5 Prologue would be an amazing experience and feature over 40 detailed cars including vehicles by Ferrari, Lotus, and Nissan. You will be able to race on five beautifully rendered tracks from around the world in 1080p high-definition.

There will also be head-to-head racing onlinie which will support up to 16 players complete with global leaderbboards. Can you handle the stress of trying to become the leader of the World of GT? We will find out.

The key features that they named for Gran Turismo 5 are below.

• A first for the franchise, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue supports online racing with up to 16 drivers racing simultaneously on a beautifully rendered race track.
• Race 30 high-performance and exhaustively detailed cars, including vehicles from Ferrari, Lotus, Nissan and Mitsubishi.
• Race on five stunningly realistic tracks, including the Eiger Nordwand, the London City Track and Suzuka – then race them in reverse and with alternative routes.
• A new physics engine delivers next-generation vehicle handling. True to the heritage of the Gran Turismo franshise, this new physics engine provides unprecedented realism and authentic handling specific to each car.
• A new in-cockpit view provides a unique perspective for racers and features a customized dashboard for each of the cars in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
• All-new and improved opponent AI for a nail-biting race experience
• Access to Gran Turismo TV: a world of great motoring TV programming online through PLAYSTATION Network.
• My Garage is a personalized homepage feature with a friends list, chat functionality and personal game records to expand the interaction between car enthusiasts in the world of GT.
• Quick Tune facility allows you to adjust power, tires, suspension and much more.
• All in stunning High Definition at 1080p (race: 1080p-60fps, replay: 1080p-30fps)
• Photo Mode gives players the opportunity to photograph their car during the race where they can take advantage of zoom, depth of field and motion blur.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
belvedere said:
Am I reading this correctly? Please tell me they're just rehashing the original press release.

http://www.ps3center.net/story-1026-Info-Revealed-On-Gran-Turismo-5-Prologue-for-PS3.html

Sony has put out the official fact sheet for the upcoming Gran Turismo 5 Prologue for the PS3 which will be available on the PlayStation Network on the PS3 as a free download this holiday season!

Sony stated ini the press release that GT5 Prologue would be an amazing experience and feature over 40 detailed cars including vehicles by Ferrari, Lotus, and Nissan. You will be able to race on five beautifully rendered tracks from around the world in 1080p high-definition.

There will also be head-to-head racing onlinie which will support up to 16 players complete with global leaderbboards. Can you handle the stress of trying to become the leader of the World of GT? We will find out.

• A first for the franchise, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue supports online racing with up to 16 drivers racing simultaneously on a beautifully rendered race track.
• Race 30 high-performance and exhaustively detailed cars, including vehicles from Ferrari, Lotus, Nissan and Mitsubishi.
• Race on five stunningly realistic tracks, including the Eiger Nordwand, the London City Track and Suzuka – then race them in reverse and with alternative routes.
• A new physics engine delivers next-generation vehicle handling. True to the heritage of the Gran Turismo franshise, this new physics engine provides unprecedented realism and authentic handling specific to each car.
• A new in-cockpit view provides a unique perspective for racers and features a customized dashboard for each of the cars in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
• Access to Gran Turismo TV: a world of great motoring TV programming online through PLAYSTATION Network.
• My Garage is a personalized homepage feature with a friends list, chat functionality and personal game records to expand the interaction between car enthusiasts in the world of GT.
• Quick Tune facility allows you to adjust power, tires, suspension and much more.
• All in stunning High Definition at 1080p (race: 1080p-60fps, replay: 1080p-30fps)
• Photo Mode gives players the opportunity to photograph their car during the race where they can take advantage of zoom, depth of field and motion blur.
If it's free, heads will roll.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm not surprised the game is somewhat jaggy in person. That alone should not ruin the overall appearance, however.

I'm sure the game is still rendering in high resolution (at least 1280x720, but likely higher). Halo 3 uses no AA, AF, and runs in a lower resolution yet STILL looks awesome in person. Somewhat rough image quality typically will not destroy the on screen material.

You're reading right, but it's just appears to be another site that got their info wring. If Sony really did say it was free they should've posted the press release they say was sent out instead of summarizing it.

antiloop

Phantast2k said:
There's nothing to explain since I just posted this pic to prove that I've seen/played this game in person, but anyways: in menus (e.g. car selection) there are way less jaggies and the car models are superb... but ingame it was a jaggie fest + it's not as breathtaking as many of you seem to think or as the trailers imply :(

1080p/16 cars/60 FPS and we have seen vids. Come again? :D

Car model is the same ingame. More jaggies, though.

ram

belvedere said:

crap websites dont know nothing - here is the original fact sheet and btw. there is no mentioning that the game will be free...

Gran TurismoTM5 Prologue

FACT SHEET

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. (SCEA)
Developer: Polyphony Digital, Inc.
Platform: PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™)
Genre: Racing
Rating: “RP” for Rating Pending

OVERVIEW

With more than 47 million units shipped worldwide, the award-winning Gran Turismo™ franchise has raced far beyond a driving simulator experience; it is a global lifestyle. Setting the bar to unprecedented heights of realism, quality of design and physics technology with every product release, famed developer Polyphony Digital, Inc. continues to obscure the line between simulation and reality with the newest iteration of its blockbuster franchise, Gran Turismo™ 5 Prologue, exclusively for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™).

Available on Blu-ray Disc and as a download via PLAYSTATION®Network, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue showcases the automotive experience that is imminent with Gran Turismo 5. Featuring over 40 meticulously detailed cars - including vehicles by Ferrari, Lotus and Nissan - for users to race on five beautifully rendered tracks from around the globe, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue runs in stunning Full High Definition at 1080p. Additionally, in conjunction with a robust offline experience, for the first time in the history of the franchise Gran Turismo 5 Prologue will support up to 16 players racing head-to-head online, complete with global leaderboards, to quell any question of who is the best driver in the “World of GT.” Furthermore, a feature called My Garage allows users to develop a personal profile page within the game and interact with other car enthusiasts from around the globe.

Dedicated to expanding the user’s immersion in automotive culture, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue will feature access to Gran Turismo™ TV, a dedicated online channel available exclusively from PLAYSTATION Network that delivers some of the greatest motorsport and manufacturer content that television has to offer.

KEY FEATURES

FRANCHISE STATISTICS

North American sales - More than 17.77 million units shipped
• Gran Turismo™ (May 1998 release): 3.99 million
• Gran Turismo™2 (December 1999 release): 3.96 million
• Gran Turismo 3 A-spec (July 2001 release): 7.12 million (Includes GT3 Racing Pack)
• Gran Turismo 4 (February 2005 release): 5.69 million

Worldwide sales - More than 47.22 million units shipped (including GT Concept and GT4 Prologue, which only released in Europe and Asia)

• Gran Turismo: more than 10.85 million
• Gran Turismo 2: more than 9.37 million
• Gran Turismo 3 A-spec: more than 14.87 million (Includes GT3 Racing Pack)
• Gran Turismo 4: more than 9.21 million

Pimpwerx

Greg said:
Ah, no offense taken at all - however, can you understand where I'm coming from?

While actually driving 100+ in real life, you actually feel/see the speed quite a bit (obviously higher for people that are used to higher speeds) - however, that mark starts at about 200 for GT games, and even that number is dependent on the track. The Ring is about as fast as it got for GT, and some of the other tracks felt like a crawl at times. 'll admit the inside view for GT:HD had a pretty good sense of speed, and most of that has to do with all the weight shifting around, but outside can be boring.

As for the sound - yeah, they've recorded their data straight from the cars, but they have yet to nail down the (for lack of a better word) balls of most of these cars. Have you ever heard some of these cars in real life?...hard to even describe how amazing they sound because you actually feel as much as you hear. A few trailers back it sounded as if they had that down, but then just recently the gameplay trailers that have been popping up sound rather dull in comparison.
Sensation of speed is linked directly to visual reference points. IOW, the most shit closer to the track, the faster you "feel" like you're going. 40mph on a woooded road or city street seems much faster than 40mph on a freeway. But it's still 40mph. Thanks to safety regs, most permanent road courses have lots of runoff room, so sensation of speed is somewhat muted.

As for the sounds of cars, it really varies. These are still factory cars. They have all the stock sound dampening and upholstery and everything. A lot of sports cars that sound badass have aftermarket exhausts/intakes. I believe manufacturers in the US has to conform to certain noise ordinances, so the audio never struck me as being off. The audio that still makes me cringe is the tire chirping. Traction varies, so the sound should vary more. It should sound more random than it does. No game ever gets it right. PEACE.

Truespeed

These images are not possible on a console. Something is definitely not right. We are not ready for this game. I hope game sharing is still possible. Master Control - End of Line.

Schrade

CSSer said:
Thanks for the HD version :D
Welcome :) I think I've figured out how to do both Gamespot and IGN HD videos now so if anyone has any videos that are only available to the public in lower resolutions, I can try to get direct links to the HD versions of them for you now.

Wollan

Gran Turismo: more than 10.85 million
&#8226; Gran Turismo 2: more than 9.37 million
&#8226; Gran Turismo 3 A-spec: more than 14.87 million (Includes GT3 Racing Pack)
&#8226; Gran Turismo 4: more than 9.21 million

Better than I thought (which was 6.5-7.5m).

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Man, that HD video was excellent. This game has the best graphics I've seen in any racing game. I honestly can see Gran Turismo 5 looking better than GT5: Prologue.

-viper- said:
Hope they implement dynamic weather.

Already on the list of things that'll eventually be downloadable for GT5P.

-viper- said:
Oh and they better improve some of the environments.

Doubtful that's going to happen much given that they're modeled after the real thing and race courses in general are boring looking. They'll have the city tracks that are graphical showcases, the race courses are never really showcases of the games graphics.

Top Bottom