• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue TGS trailer and screens

bouc_emissaire

Who Compares, Wins
Audi R8, maybe the most photorealistic :

GTvsrealitysept2007-2.jpg

They've got the right font for "R8" :lol
Man, Polyphony guys are crazy.

Greg

Polyphony, get the damn engine sounds down - and some sense of speed wouldn't hurt!

This is my dream game right now... I'm still playing GT:HD, and I've had it since the second it popped up on the store. :lol

dalin80

Banned
if you saw a couple of those pics out of context you could easily think they were real life.

i doubt a car game will ever have better models, if they did it would just be wasted poly's.

now to do the same for all the tracks and effects PD-

i want full day/night wet/dry transitions please. stop slacking. :D

the_id

bouc_emissaire said:
Audi R8, maybe the most photorealistic :

http://generationdreamteam.free.fr//imagesjeux/Comparaisons/GTvsrealitysept2007-2.jpg

They've got the right font for "R8" :lol
Man, Polyphony guys are crazy.[/QUOTE]

Its like they've made an exact virtual replica of the car in the game. I hope each car will also have their exact handling data just to complement the perfect photorealistic graphics.

Niks

We should do a GT:HD GAF HOTLAP Tournament in the meantime till GT5:p demo arrives. :D

Maybe that way these 18 days will pass faster!!

VonGak!

Banned
Greg said:
Polyphony, get the damn engine sounds down - and some sense of speed wouldn't hurt!

This is my dream game right now... I'm still playing GT:HD, and I've had it since the second it popped up on the store. :lol

With a minuscule 1:1 scale and 60FPS how can the sense of speed be off?

And the sound is recorded straight from the cars, not added afterward like in HollyWood movies.

Reminds me of the Gamespot review of GT4 where the reporter said the game was unrealistic because the was no clank sound when changing gears. :S

It's GT, not PGR or Forza or Driven or 2Fast2Furious or...

BTW, I'm not slandering you Greg. ^.^

the_id

This game better is promising soooooo much not just in the cars but also in terms of features that I hope PD delivers all of them
sony needs to break away from their habit of over promising and under delivering

VonGak!

Banned
RavenFox said:
This is just f'ing ridiculous. I mean with raytracing? The gaming gods have returned to bless us.

There's no ray tracing, the reflexion mapping and track lighting might have been calculated with the help of ray tracing but it's not real time. :)

AltogetherAndrews said:
One thing that the tech people here may be able to answer... why is it that Polyphony is seemingly the only racing game developer to get red right? In just about every other game, red becomes this bleedy, almost cartoony mess. But here, it actually looks like a realistic red paint.

You learn to get things like that right when you get stuff ok'd by the manufacturer as they do. That's how far they go with it. Those car scenes you see for example they actually show send those scenes to each manufacturer to make sure they're happy with the way it looks. Given that Ferrari is known for the red they'd make sure Polyphony has it right.

Here's 1up's Polyphony Digital feature.

As elaborate as that sounds, it's representative of the team's passion for cars that runs "deeper than the sea." That passion, and tireless attention to detail form the foundation of the series. It guides everything they do. As Yamauchi put it, "racing is not only lap times; it's the whole experience."

Of course, we'll be plenty concerned with lap times too, though. And certainly having rumble back in the controller should help with them. Yamauchi said looking back on the history of the series Gran Turismo, it has always been one of the leading titles to incorporate rumble because it brings such an important feedback to the game. He termed the announcement that the PS3 controller would not include rumble "devastating" and added that it "discouraged" the team. It's return has made them very happy and working it back into the game was easy, given their experience with rumble in the previous games.

And a glimmer of hope for the US version coming sooner than expected?

While no American release date was given to go along with the Japanese one, the demo gave us a few rays of hope. During the presentation Yamauchi kept accidentally canceling his way out of menus instead of selecting. Towards the end he apologized for this and said that he had been playing the Japanese version so much that the switch to the American version threw him off (in Japan the usual "O" and "X" button functions are reversed to the US). Without that to give it away, you'd never have known it wasn't the same Japanese version as the one on the TGS show floor.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163311

Niks

While rumble is certainly not "next gen" it does add to the gaming experience. Feeling the curbs is a nice touch in any racing game.
Its cool to know that both Kojima and Yamauchi are strong supporters of rumble technology.

I wonder if GT5 will incorporate the "Playstation eye" in some form.

RavenFox

Banned
the_id said:
This game better is promising soooooo much not just in the cars but also in terms of features that I hope PD delivers all of them
sony needs to break away from their habit of over promising and under delivering

So far this gen their promises have all been spectacular. PS3 really is a step ahead.

As Yamauchi put it, "racing is not only lap times; it's the whole experience.

As I can recall at one point he actually didn't blame the crap AI on hardware but on the direction he wanted to go with the series. Must have been PR talk but it is odd to see him making a 180 turn.

PjotrStroganov said:
As I can recall at one point he actually didn't blame the crap AI on hardware but on the direction he wanted to go with the series. Must have been PR talk but it is odd to see him making a 180 turn.

When has he blamed the hardware for the "crappy AI"? As far as i've seen he's said the reason for the AI change is because they now have 16 cars on track and it's very important that they behave a certain way.

SolidSnakex said:
When has he blamed the hardware for the "crappy AI"? As far as i've seen he's said the reason for the AI change is because they now have 16 cars on track and it's very important that they behave a certain way.

No link to give you here. I'll try to find the exact quote.

I understand the AI has to be upgraded with that many cars on screen but it was just important to make the AI react intelligently with only 6 cars per race. PD failed to do that. If it wasn't because of hardware limitations, they have made a big change in the direction they are going. In the right way I might say, but it crippled GT4.

Niks

PjotrStroganov said:
A step ahead in promises right?

PjotrStroganov said:

i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

The cars in GT4 never really got in your way to hinder your racing/driving (ofcourse this is was a big issue as to why the AI wasn't good), but with 15 other cars on track, if the AI is messy it'd make the experience bad. I still think they're still focusing and trying to cater to that person who just likes the idea of driving the car and not so much about the racing part. But they also want to make sure the racing aspect is right. Ofcourse with the game being online, having competitive matches in GT should no longer be an issue (although it doesn't mean they should neglect the AI and it seems they aren't).

IzumiK

Banned
I was wondering about acquiring licenses. Since Lambo and Bugatti are owned by the Volkswagen group, does the license just come from Volkswagen or they have to specifically ask Lambo and Bugatti?

I hope Lambo makes it in now they started appearing in other driving games since EA's license expired. Moreso for Bugatti.

IzumiK

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Although speaking of the Veyron, Top Gear's premiere is going to have them racing a Veyron against a jet fighter.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!

:lol :lol :lol

Top Gear is great.

Barakov

SolidSnakex said:
They're separate licences. Lamborghini and Porsche are 2 licenses that Kaz wants. Bughatti is probably out of question, they're apparently hard asses when it comes to allowing their car in a game.

Although speaking of the Veyron, Top Gear's premiere is going to have them racing a Veyron against a jet fighter.

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/2278/

Son of a......I really wanted to drive a Veyron in GT5. Still good news that Top Gear is coming back. :)

Barakov said:
Son of a......I really wanted to drive a Veyron in GT5. Still good news that Top Gear is coming back. :)

It still could happen, but they're apparently really touchy when it comes to the Veyron. A good example is as of now TG hasn't been able to do a test track drive with it.

Did any of you ppl actually see this game in real life? Beause I've seen/played the GC build and it looked nowhere nearas in those pics and videos.. The jaggies alone, bleh..

IzumiK

Banned
Phantast2k said:
Did any of you ppl actually see this game in real life? Beause I've seen/played the GC build and it looked nowhere nearas in those pics and videos.. The jaggies alone, bleh..

The opposite of what everyone else who played it says.

This is certainly interesting. :rolling eyes at 10,000 rpm:

Lakitu

st5fu
SolidSnakex said:
They're separate licences. Lamborghini and Porsche are 2 licenses that Kaz wants. Bughatti is probably out of question, they're apparently hard asses when it comes to allowing their car in a game.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/2278/

WOOOOOOOO! I'm so glad its back, any idea what day?

MickeyKnox said:
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

<3 Top Gear.

There was some upsetting rumors back when last season ended that they weren't coming back.

Awesome:

large.jpg

After the rocket car I wouldn't think they'd be doing things like that anymore. Still it looks awesome.

Phantast2k said:
Well, I'm not trolling or anything. Not lying either:

(looks much worse ingame)

Maybe the tv hook-up/setup was wrong?

Ummm... I'm not trolling your troll or anything, but please explain how that image looks worse than other screens Sony has released.

MassiveAttack said:
Ummm... I'm not trolling your troll or anything, but please explain how that image looks worse than other screens Sony has released.
There's nothing to explain since I just posted this pic to prove that I've seen/played this game in person, but anyways: in menus (e.g. car selection) there are way less jaggies and the car models are superb... but ingame it was a jaggie fest + it's not as breathtaking as many of you seem to think or as the trailers imply :(

IzumiK

Banned
Phantast2k said:
There's nothing to explain since I just posted this pic to prove that I've seen/played this game in person, but anyways: in menus (e.g. car selection) there are way less jaggies and the car models are superb... but ingame it was a jaggie fest + it's not as breathtaking as many of you seem to think :(

Your cellphone capture of someone looking at the menu screen and not playing is meaningless.

Oh yeah I've seen someone play the game and it was looking real nice.

http://www.jeux-france.com/downloads8462_video-gran-turismo-5-prologue.html

MassiveAttack said:
Top Gear drove the Veyron on VW's maximum security test track in East Germany last year. They hit the 253mph top speed quite easily too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzetBbBj7LM

SSX probably knows that. But he's saying on an actual test track that Top Gear uses.

A mag called Road and Track had the Veyron pitted against other supercars but it was owned by someone. Not sure if they needed permission to do so.

MassiveAttack said:
Top Gear drove the Veyron on VW's maximum security test track in East Germany last year. They hit the 253mph top speed quite easily too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzetBbBj7LM

Yeah i'm talking about on their own where they're able to show how it handles at high speeds. There's been a lot of talk that it doesn't handle so hot at high speeds and its one of the reasons they've been so protective over the car.

IzumiK said:
Your cellphone capture of someone looking at the menu screen and not playing is meaningless.

Oh yeah I've seen someone play the game and it was looking real nice.

http://www.jeux-france.com/downloads8462_video-gran-turismo-5-prologue.html

That guy needs to realize he's chosen the manual tranny. Haven't watch ed the full video yet but good lord, he's got to be thinking something is up. Unless he's taking a more scenic approach to the game.

EDIT

Ok, yeah he either figured it out or someone told him as they were passing by.

Top Bottom