• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue TGS trailer and screens

FightyF

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Thank god for game rooms with password.

GT5 is getting damage btw

I've played tons of GT3 with friends over iLink. Even though you try to have a serious race, it always degenerates to that.

But again, more important than damage are proper collision physics. The whole point is that if you bump someone, you go into them, and not bounce off carrying all your speed.

BTW, I'm not talking about heavy collisions, I'm talking about the light bumping that occurs when racing tight races. Personally I think that superficial damage is one thing, but collision physics and damage in performance to things like your suspension, brakes, wheels (which Forza didn't have, and what I mean is that in reality your body would crumple and touch your tires) are more important than how accurate the superficial damage looks.

As far as release date goes, I was looking at the proposed release date for GT5, and I had a feeling it would slip to Fall '08. It's disappointing that Prologue got delayed as well...but I'm sure PD wants to make a "game" worth $40, so they are attempting to get as much content as they can for it.

With Prologue now coming in March of 08, I don't see GT5 coming out in the summer, so my fear about it being delayed is now founded.

FightyF said:
I've played tons of GT3 with friends over iLink. Even though you try to have a serious race, it always degenerates to that.

But again, more important than damage are proper collision physics. The whole point is that if you bump someone, you go into them, and not bounce off carrying all your speed.

BTW, I'm not talking about heavy collisions, I'm talking about the light bumping that occurs when racing tight races. Personally I think that superficial damage is one thing, but collision physics and damage in performance to things like your suspension, brakes, wheels (which Forza didn't have, and what I mean is that in reality your body would crumple and touch your tires) are more important than how accurate the superficial damage looks.

They've acknowledged that they need to fix what you described. I think everyone can agree that the bumping stuff should be removed. I'm not sure if they'll do it before GT5P is released but it does seem like something they're going to get to with it in an update. I've always disliked that aspect of GT. They could fix alot of the issues with the racing just be punishing people who try to "move" another car out of the way. You don't need damage to do that.

As far as the released date goes, this puts GT5's date into perspective.

gt06.jpg

Note how big the gap is between GT5P and GT5's release. I think they've realised for a long time this is a really ambitious game and its going to take longer than any other racing game to really pull off.

nofi

SolidSnakex said:
Note how big the gap is between GT5P and GT5's release. I think they've realised for a long time this is a really ambitious game and its going to take longer than any other racing game to really pull off.

Scale looks about right to me, though, given the distance between the demo and the TMS.

What are the three 'empty' triangles though? Prologue downloads?

nofi said:
What are the three 'empty' triangles though? Prologue downloads?

That's what people at GTPlanet were thinking. They've said they'll add damage, real time weather and aftermarket parts through updates. So it'd make sense.

nofi

DrM said:
Worst case scenario:
First - GT5P US launch
Second - GT5P EU launch
Third - TGS 2008

Dunno, worse case would be 09.

SolidSnakex said:
That's what people at GTPlanet were thinking. They've said they'll add damage, real time weather and aftermarket parts through updates. So it'd make sense.

I prefer this rationale, let's hope so.

Anyone remember that C&D article? Well they've put it online for those who want to read it.

To be a car fan and work on PD.

The small, youthful, stress-addled army of workaholics who meticulously construct the game byte by byte in a cavernous studio on the second floor of an anonymous office block in southeast Tokyo’s Edagawa district is taking a rare day off. Polyphony Digital, the wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment that produces Gran Turismo, has rented Tsukuba for a company-sponsored track day. Leading the parade of RX-7s, M3s, Evos, and STIs—salaries are relatively good in this line of work—is the game’s 39-year-old creator, Kazunori Yamauchi, in his all-white Ford GT.

GT's influence in the car industry.

Turismo’s huge catalog of cars introduced an international audience to then-obscure Japanese domestic product, including the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo, Nissan Skyline GT-R, and Subaru Impreza WRX STi. The game deserves credit for helping make these and other vehicles into international cult cars, and for convincing automakers to bring versions of them to the U.S. market. Yamauchi consults informally on styling and youth culture with various car companies that once spurned Turismo and denied it licensing rights but now jockey to have their newest cars featured in the game.

At the center of the studio, across from Yamauchi’s glass-walled office—it’s completely obscured by curtains because, the employees say, he’s embarrassed about the mess within—is a two-story-tall, blue-lit, glass-sealed tower where Gran Turismo 5 lives in prenatal form. Polyphony’s 80-terabyte mainframe (one terabyte equals 1,048,576 megabytes) is said to be one of the largest among Tokyo’s major game studios. Chilled slightly to 64 degrees Fahrenheit, the tower also contains Yamauchi’s wine and champagne stash.

The software engineers who created the physics engine have stayed with Yamauchi through the years and have come to be known as the “Nine Samurai” (theirs are the Ferraris and Aston Martins in Polyphony’s parking lot), a takeoff on the famous Akira Kurosawa film The Seven Samurai. Asked for the basic cereal-box explanation of how the physics engine works, Yamauchi, speaking Japanese through his American-born right-hand man, Tsubasa Inaba, pictures a billiards table.

On GT's detail.

“In the past, each car was like a sheet, all just one color,” says Yamauchi, who is also an avid amateur photographer. “We are now taking it to a much higher level, studying the feel and texture of the materials.” There’s a difference between how light plays over metallic paint compared with a plastic headlight lens or piece of rubber trim. At the edges of body panels, car paint tends to bead slightly, causing light reflections to spear outward. Going around soft corners, the sun’s reflection pinches up and then spreads out again.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/13550/the-game-boys.html

cilonen said:
I'm not seeing the words 'GT4 Mobile' on that slide :(

I'm going to have to accept it's dead, aren't I.

You don't see it on the list because no one is working on it. Kaz has said that all of Polyphony is working on GT5 now. And that's how it should be. Console > handheld.

cilonen

SolidSnakex said:
You don't see it on the list because no one is working on it. Kaz has said that all of Polyphony is working on GT5 now. And that's how it should be. Console > handheld.

Ah, I'd not heard that from Kaz. Yep, no argument it should be that way round, my PSP will have to wait.

cilonen said:
Ah, I'd not heard that from Kaz. Yep, no argument it should be that way round, my PSP will have to wait.

It's one of the reasons Kaz gave Takamasa Shichisawa 10 months to make Tourist Trophy, because everyone would be moving onto GT5's development.

SolidSnakex said:

yep, but i think is better to change "2008" with "future" lol

for gt5 release:lol

tehbear

Okay the line between Prologue and GT5 release is about 43% longer than the period between Prologue and the prologue demo.

Since the time between prologue and the prologue demo have solid dates we know it represents a time period of 54 days. This means the time period between prologue and GT5 is 77 days.

So in conclusion, I've extrapolated the game release date to be 2/28/2008.

Greg

tehbear said:
Okay the line between Prologue and GT5 release is about 43% longer than the period between Prologue and the prologue demo.

Since the time between prologue and the prologue demo have solid dates we know it represents a time of 54 days. Which means the time between prologue and GT5 is 77 days.

So in conclusion, I've extrapolated the game release date to be 2/28/2008.
But this is Polyphony, so none of that matters.

tehbear

Metalmurphy said:
We always say that on each generation and we always end up being proven wrong.

I agree. I think the only thing we'll cap on any time soon is resolution, cause graphic fidelity is more than just pixel count and it'll take a long while before we get hardware powerful enough to render reality. Obviously cars gets closer faster than people and environments.

Once we nail this 2D display crap though we'll move onto holograms, there's always more to do.

Goldrusher

tehbear said:
...rubbish calculation...

What scale did you use?

0.15 inch = 1 day (the scale between the TGS and the demo)
0.65 inch = 1 day (the scale between the demo and the TMS)
0.09 inch = 1 day (the scale between the TMS and the full Prologue)

Awesome video. Is the new GTR not playable in this build? I see it on the track in the new videos but it seems like no one ever picks it.

Goldrusher

Madman

Goldrusher said:
Brotha can't drive.

On Suzuka, he just cruises around at 10mph. And on Daytona he doesn't even the use the banking ffs.

Brotha can't drive.

Stay in the pack. Slipstream.

Anyway...

Any chance we'll see a fix for those sharp, edgy, flickering shadows ?
My thoughts exactly. :lol Apparently, the driver wasn't too big on racing games.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Nice, Fuji Raceway. So we have Suzuka, Daytona, Fuji, some city track.... (Speaking for GT5P)

DrM said:
Nice, Fuji Raceway. So we have Suzuka, Daytona, Fuji, some city track.... (Speaking for GT5P)

City track is London. People are now thinking that the spots on the map in GT5P are indications of what tracks will be in it after it turned out Daytona is in it and that was a spot on the map at GC.

VonGak!

Banned
Goldrusher said:
Any chance we'll see a fix for those sharp, edgy, flickering shadows ?
Not in this generation but when people can survive it in other games like Mass Effect EDIT: and Heavenly Sword then they can do it in GT5P too. :)

womfalcs3

Banned
GT5 is so ambitious, I don't think they're going to make two installments of GT this generation (unlike with the previous two Sony consoles). They'll just keep adding on content to GT5... and have GT6 for the next wave of consoles.

GT Mobile will consume their time too.

VonGak!

Banned
womfalcs3 said:
GT5 is so ambitious, I don't think they're going to make two installments of GT this generation (unlike with the previous two Sony consoles). They'll just keep adding on content to GT5... and have GT6 for the next wave of consoles.

GT Mobile will consume their time too.

I'd prefer that scenario too, would suck to wait 3 years for an expanded car library and new tracks + challenges.

GT4 took them around 4 years to make, GT5 is going to take them around 4 years to make, so yeah GT6 probably won't hit this generation. It must feel good though as a racing game developer to feel like you have to shoot out a new sequel every year or 2 and can take your time with it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
DL the vid, Daytona with some minor graphical issues (like LOD on cars, jagged shadows), but Fuji and Suzuka look totaly stunning.

IzumiK

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
GT4 took them around 4 years to make, GT5 is going to take them around 4 years to make, so yeah GT6 probably won't hit this generation. It must feel good though as a racing game developer to feel like you have to shoot out a new sequel every year or 2 and can take your time with it.

There shouldn't be a GT6 on the PS3. GT5 is already shaping up to be the best it can be. Additional cars and tracks can be downloaded or even purchased. I mean GT4 was about the same as GT3 with a lot more cars... though there was a bit more upgrades to car physics.

Goldrusher

DrM said:

If I remember correctly, this is the GT5 Prologue track list

• Fuji Speedway
- F
- GT
• Suzuka Circuit
- Full
- West Course
- East Course
• Daytona International Speedway
- Tri-Oval
- Sports Car Course
• Eiger Nordwand
• London City

And the demo will be time attack on Suzuka with 7 cars to choose from.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
new video looks nice. Lets hope we get the photo mode lighting in real time games next gen. Look gorgeous.

But on the track the LOD pop in is pretty obvious and clumsy. Why haven't people improved this yet?

Its like they make a lower poly model that looks good at the distance it'll be viewed at, but make no allowance for what the high poly model looks like at a similar distance. Surely the most important thing is how well they blend together, so the low poly model shouldn't strive to look like a clio, or golf or whatever, it should try and look like the high poly model squished down

I guess this is one of those things that just gets pushed aside in the rush to get more polys on screen. Like arms going through walls etc.

Top Bottom